Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Just did my first real brick session today - a 12 mile cycle followed immediately by a 4.5 mile run - found it quite tough but at least I know what to expect on the day. Legs did loosen up after second mile but the sensation still is weird. I swam a 750m yesterday in about 15mins at an easy pace. I made sure not to use the wall in the pool at each turn and found it pretty easy. I did a few 100m tempo swims after that. So feeling fairly confident now headin for the Skerries Tri. Hope all your train is goin just as well and well done to all who completed their first Tri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

did my first tri yesterday in nenagh also, great time had and cannot wait for the next one, valentia. Not in a club and need to swim outside a couple of times before valentia, anyone swim in the open water in dublin ?, looking for advice on this, where, when etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

SUNGOD wrote: »
    well done to all who competed

great stuff shopoholic wear those blisters with pride
    and MCOS great result a top ten finish in first tri very very impressive

how did you get on tunney?

Had a good swim, excellent transitions, biked well and ran okay. Happy overall, good day in the office :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Well done to all of you.
    Tunney, if it's not too personal, can I ask what overall time you did.
    Just to see how far behind you and MCOS I normally am?

Never mind - Had a look at the nenagh tri website. I didn't think they name would match the boards handle.
    Very well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

osgur wrote: »
    did my first tri yesterday in nenagh also, great time had and cannot wait for the next one, valentia. Not in a club and need to swim outside a couple of times before valentia, anyone swim in the open water in dublin ?, looking for advice on this, where, when etc....

Seapoint is a decent spot for it

will check seapoint out, thanks... is the 40th foot any use for ow tri swimming, never been ?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I would prefer seapoint to the 40 ft for distance swimming. Once the tide is in at seapoint you can swim along the shore from seapoint to the Pier and back. Where as at the 40th unless you head out to sea you end up swimming around the rocks, but you are not depending on the tides. Other options in the area are white rock (along the vico road) and Killiney beach.

tunney wrote: »

cool photos, one of my brother in there, nice to see, are these the ones that will be going up on Tipp tri site ? or will they be different ? hoping to get one of myself struggling in full flow.

I would prefer seapoint to the 40 ft for distance swimming. Once the tide is in at seapoint you can swim along the shore from seapoint to the Pier and back. Where as at the 40th unless you head out to sea you end up swimming around the rocks, but you are not depending on the tides. Other options in the area are white rock (along the vico road) and Killiney beach.

thanks

• Advertisement

cool photos, one of my brother in there, nice to see, are these the ones that will be going up on Tipp tri site ? or will they be different ? hoping to get one of myself struggling in full flow.

answering my own question - yes they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Had a good swim, excellent transitions, biked well and ran okay. Happy overall, good day in the office :)

A bit modest there tunney ;)

bah... can't access in work... everything feckin firewalled!

First Tri done and dusted folks. It was a brilliant experience and the sun came out woohoo :D Posted a report in logs if anyone interested.

Well done tunney, shopaholic and osgur on your performances... seems like everyone had a great day at this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

you might be aware of this already so apologies in advance .. but theres been some changes to the swim in Valentia due to the marina being constructed in the harbour where it finished on previous years.

Swim start hasnt changed - but instead of heading directly for the mouth of the harbour there'll be bouys marking a route slightly to the right of last years swim finish. Minor change, slight distance increase - will make water-level sighting interesting though since previous years the hills on valentia offer a easy-to-spot target.

Congrats all on your first outtings. OW mass starts beckon ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats all around guys on a great performance at the weekend.

Top 10 MCOS - savage first event! Major KUDOS to you

Tunney, some day at the office. :cool: Congrats on a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

well done to all in Nenagh

Valentia is my first triathlon as well and while I have plenty of experience of OW from diving and surfing I have to say I got a big shock when I tried my first OW swim in Kilkee over the Easter weekend - I had to get out after 5 minutes as my feet and hands were sold cold - I also couldn't keep my face in the water for more than 30 seconds with out it being actually painful it was so cold .... went into Ardnacrusha canal at the weekend and it was only marginally better

My question is are their any tips for swimming in cold OW - May water temps are usually 2-3 degrees warmer than April but I'd like to have a back up plan.

Surfing booties are out as they are something else to take off in transition (possibly also illegal) - I thought of Vaseline on the face but while this will keep the cold out for the swim it will keep the sweat in during the bike and run which I dont want

Any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

mitresize5 wrote: »
    well done to all in Nenagh

Valentia is my first triathlon as well and while I have plenty of experience of OW from diving and surfing I have to say I got a big shock when I tried my first OW swim in Kilkee over the Easter weekend - I had to get out after 5 minutes as my feet and hands were sold cold - I also couldn't keep my face in the water for more than 30 seconds with out it being actually painful it was so cold .... went into Ardnacrusha canal at the weekend and it was only marginally better

My question is are their any tips for swimming in cold OW - May water temps are usually 2-3 degrees warmer than April but I'd like to have a back up plan.

Surfing booties are out as they are something else to take off in transition (possibly also illegal) - I thought of Vaseline on the face but while this will keep the cold out for the swim it will keep the sweat in during the bike and run which I dont want

Any suggestions

If you've been in twice already this year I reckon adrenaline will get you through on the day without a hitch.

Only one serious suggestion however:
    ... two hats ... goggles on over the first, then stick the second hat on. I find the silicone hats useful.

My only other tips are the less serious: try to minimise your time in the water (get in late, swim as fast as you can) and/or htfu - there WILL be locals/relay-ists and crazies going without a suit

Valentia last year was my first dip in and it was pretty cold. it helped that it was sunny that day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

Have signed up for my first sprint tri in September, bit I am really, really, really unfit so it might be a big ask. I can swim consistently for about 30-40 mins in the sea, albeit a slow enough pace, so the swim might be ok, but went for a run yesterday for the first time in about 5 years and almost died! Any tips for someone starting at scratch really as far as the running is concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Have signed up for my first sprint tri in September, bit I am really, really, really unfit so it might be a big ask. I can swim consistently for about 30-40 mins in the sea, albeit a slow enough pace, so the swim might be ok, but went for a run yesterday for the first time in about 5 years and almost died! Any tips for someone starting at scratch really as far as the running is concerned?

Best advice I could give you is to join a club - either tri or running. You would be suprised how many people are in the same boat and most running clubs will cater for ALL levels. Everyone has a weak point - mine was swimming could manage only about 50m 6 months ago. Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Last year I had the same problems and used this basic plan http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf to go from couch potato to being able to finish (slowly) a sprint tri in approx. 11 weeks. The run plan was good for me as it started off with a walk:run mix and then progressed to a run only. You will probably outgrow the plan pretty soon (at least I did) but I still found it a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Join a club and get some running buddies.

If you're starting from scratch, find a local fit4life group.

If you go onto the mini-marathon web site, there's a list of local fit4life groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Guys I need a little bit of advice. Ive my first tri Sunday week at Joey Hannon. My bike is grand no need to worry, swim and run are week enough. I'll be away from tomorrow until Sunday so unfortunately won't be able to do any training as Ill be either working, or enjoying the pleasures that Belgium and Holland have to offer. So Im trying to figure out what I can get done next week and how much training is too much.

Im working on my swim techique at the moment so a few sessions of that I thought might be useful, and a couple of runs. I planned the week as follows but would like suggestions, also Im not sure if I need to take the day off before race or anything different
    Mon: 40min run
    Tue: Swim tech session
    Wed Swim coacing early, 50km bike evening
    Thur: 40 min run
    Fri: swim
    Sat: 30k cycle,short brick
    Sun: RACE!!!

Can anyone give me any advice on my plan?Im a total newbie so I'm kinda making it up as I go along. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm no expert but first thing I would do is drop training on Friday and Saturday, save your energy and legs for the race instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

richiemack wrote: »

Im working on my swim techique at the moment so a few sessions of that I thought might be useful, and a couple of runs. I planned the week as follows but would like suggestions, also Im not sure if I need to take the day off before race or anything different

Can anyone give me any advice on my plan?Im a total newbie so I'm kinda making it up as I go along. Thanks guys

Hey Richiemac
    No expert here either but I'd definitely start easing back from Wednesday at the latest. Maybe shorten the run on Thursday and swim on friday (and take them nice and slow!), and on the Saturday take it really easy. Like an easy 10k cycle or 10 minute run at the most. Next week's training won't make much difference anyway- I reckon the danger is overdoing it a little and not being fresh on Sunday morning

richiemack wrote: »
    Guys I need a little bit of advice. Ive my first tri Sunday week at Joey Hannon. My bike is grand no need to worry, swim and run are week enough. I'll be away from tomorrow until Sunday so unfortunately won't be able to do any training as Ill be either working, or enjoying the pleasures that Belgium and Holland have to offer. So Im trying to figure out what I can get done next week and how much training is too much.

I think that is too much. Monday to Wednesday - good, just drop the bike to 40km and keep it *easy*. Drop Thursdays run to 25 minutes and add 6x20sec fast, 30 sec easy. I'd change Saturday to a 20 minute turbo (10 warm up, some pick ups, short cool down) onto a 10 minute run.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

interested wrote: »
    you might be aware of this already so apologies in advance .. but theres been some changes to the swim in Valentia due to the marina being constructed in the harbour where it finished on previous years.

Swim start hasnt changed - but instead of heading directly for the mouth of the harbour there'll be bouys marking a route slightly to the right of last years swim finish. Minor change, slight distance increase - will make water-level sighting interesting though since previous years the hills on valentia offer a easy-to-spot target.

Congrats all on your first outtings. OW mass starts beckon ... ;)

The transition area has also changed. It used to be the area by the lifeboat station. (this is where the swim exit will be this year.)
    You will need to run up the village, about 300 metres to T1. its a small field at the top of the village opposite bostons bar.
    When you come back from the cycle you wont come into the village this year. Instead there is a path/walkway just before the church on the sea front, you will dismount here and walk/run up this path to T2. (basically its a shortcut back to the field) but its another 200/300 metres on foot!

Welcome osgur and theonlygirl :) Hope training is going well for you.

richiemack, I'd echo what the guys are saying and take it easy on the friday and saturday before the race esp if you are doing the full distance one. My week is not too unlike yours mon to wed, its starts to ease off then though, short fast bike on thurs with a 15 min jog after, easy swim fri and REST sat. Fresh then for the race on sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Take a rest on Friday and then do something small on Saturday to "wake" your body up again before the race on Sunday.

If you're nervous about the swimming then I'd just get as much practice in as possible before the big day. Swim on Friday and on Saturday if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

I'm based in Kildare, the nearest club is in Mullingar and I have contacted them, but most nights I wouldn't be home in time to join their sessions. My other half is also joining me in training for our first tri, but he is a bit fitter than me so i end up trailing him most of the time. It does help to have someone else though, even just to pull me off the couch! Did my 3rd day of training today, still very painful, it'll be a long road methinks!

Advertisement