Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Yep, out of UL and down passed Plassey Tech Park to the Vistakon roundabout, onto the Dublin road passed Finnegans. 3rd exit off the roundabout onto the Limerick Bypass. Stay on the Bypass down to the Roxboro roundabout(this will be the hardest bit). First Exit onto N20. Take the Patrickswell exit, turn right across the bridge, back onto the N20 and back to UL the way you came, nice tailwind most of the way home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Thanks a mil MCOS:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

shopaholic wrote: »
    This one is for the ladies...what gear do you wear? I've a nike triathlon high impact top but my problem is the bottoms. I'm looking for something with a drawstring so that when I push from the wall in the pool the bottoms stay attached to me...have tried swimming with bikini bottoms and it just doesn't work. Also should I be going for padded shorts and will this impact my run?
    (btw my first triathlon is Nenagh in 3 weeks!)

For the first triathlon I used lycra shorts (as tight as bike shorts but stopping at the top of the thigh). If it's only a 20k bike ride you don't need padding. After that I used tri shorts.

Don't wear underwear, it's just another layer to fall off or chaff.

If you need a drawstring it's too big. Go a size down.

Tri shorts are padded but only slightly so it won't impact your run. Bike shorts are too padded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

HardyEustace,
    Brill thanks for that - time to go shopping!!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

MCOS wrote: »
    Questions about gear for a Tri.

My first sprint and olympic are pool based swims. What top do you put on afterwards? Also do you wear cycling shorts for a 20k cycle? I've heard of 'body glide' a few times now. Is that more for easing the changing out of wetsuit?

And last one, I need to get a wetsuit in the next few weeks any recommendations for around the max €300 mark?

Hey I'm new to these boards. Going to be doing a few tris over the summer. Hi all! Hope the training is going well.
    I've used bodyglide- it's more to help with chafing from the wetsuit. Mainly around the neck and under the arms. Does the job too but fairly expensive. Some people use babyoil instead. Vaseline can damage the neoprene though, so I'd only use it if I was borrowing a suit. I'm not sure they help much with getting out of the wetsuit.
    If you could get a tri top to wear while swimming it makes a big difference. I used struggle with putting on anything after the swim with the wet skin and all, very frustrating!
    Not sure which wetsuit to buy- make sure it fits almost a little to tight was the only advice I got and they were right. It's almost like cheating when you swim in it!
    Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

In my very limited experience babyoil rubbed on the inside of the wetsuit and on your arms and legs aids ease of entry and exit from the suit, although be careful not to get it on your clothes as it leaves stains.

I also fitted a cable tie to my wetsuit zipper to lengthen the stap to make opening the zip that little bit easier as I had trouble reaching the zipper strap.

I find that the bodyglide is not all its cracked up to be. I use KY jelly on the various body parts mentioned above and that works really well for me.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Some people use babyoil instead. Vaseline can damage the neoprene though, so I'd only use it if I was borrowing a suit. I'm not sure they help much with getting out of the wetsuit.

Remind me to never lend you a wet suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Something I found useful last year was putting babyoil on the outside of the arms and legs of the wetsuit as well as the inside lower legs and wrists.

The idea of putting it on the outside is that when your are frantically pulling the suit off, the outside sections of the suit roll over each other and what ever type of oil/glide you use will help this go quicker,once off your wetsuit should be inside out in a heap on the ground,

Oh yeah dont forget to oil up the necks to stop the friction burns that occur when you keep turning your head for breathing. I had a scar on my neck for 4 weeks last year because of this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

wellboss wrote: »
    Oh yeah dont forget to oil up the necks to stop the friction burns that occur when you keep turning your head for breathing. I had a scar on my neck for 4 weeks last year because of this:D

I don't think anybody has spent enough time in a wetsuit unless they've ended up with on of those scars on the back of the neck.:D

There's some good stuff on youtube about transitioning:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqYIfEN_bMo&feature=related is one guy that has some good advice. I think he does openwater swimming advice as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome Mr Creosote :)

So mentioned so far here in terms of lubing yourself up for a wetsuit.. ahem... is KY, Bodyglide, Vaseline, Baby Oil...

Now, which one would McGyver use...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

MCOS wrote: »
    Welcome Mr Creosote :)

So mentioned so far here in terms of lubing yourself up for a wetsuit.. ahem... is KY, Bodyglide, Vaseline, Baby Oil...

Now, which one would McGyver use...?!

He would probably use his trusty knife and some local vegetation to create a super lube!!

then turn his knife to some scrap to create the perfect bike...:D:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hi everyone.

This may seem like a daft thing to ask but i was just curious as to where all you first timers are at in your training? what i mean is
    1: How far away is your tri
    2: what is your times as of now
    3: what are you hoping your times will be.

The reason i am asking is that because its my first i dont really know what to expect and i am interested in what everyone else's goals are. I know everyone is different i just think it would be interesting to see the differences

Ill start with mine

1: the Salmon run in aprox 14 weeks
    2: swim 25 mins
    Bike 52 mins
    Run about 28 mins
    3: my goal is to complete in about 1:30 - 1:40 (not sure how realistic this is but god loves a tryer lol)

Hi everyone.

This may seem like a daft thing to ask but i was just curious as to where all you first timers are at in your training? what i mean is

The reason i am asking is that because its my first i dont really know what to expect and i am interested in what everyone else's goals are. I know everyone is different i just think it would be interesting to see the differences

Ill start with mine

Bike 52 mins
    Run about 28 mins
    3: my goal is to complete in about 1:30 - 1:40 (not sure how realistic this is but god loves a tryer lol)

You can probably half your swim time. Short of being weighed down by concrete blocks it's actually pretty much impossible to have a swim time longer than 14 minutes.

The current is so strong you literally really do get floated down stream. The time difference between Mullaghmore and Ballina for me was ten minutes (and this wasn't due to an incredible improvement over a few weeks!).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Hi everyone.

Ill start with mine

Bike 52 mins
    Run about 28 mins

Hi findingfitness

I have the Fingal Tri on May 17th to start anfd then TriAthy two weeks later, which is my real aim I guess. 959 days to go now - gulp!)

My swimming is pretty slow to say the least so I'm planning for around 20 mins for the swim in the Aquatic Centre pool (hopefully the current in the river will help me shave off a few minutes in Athy).40 - 42 mins mins for the bike and 22-23 for the run are my other ambitions.

Just a question in relation to pool-based triathlons. I'm prone to getting a reaction to the chlorine in the pool and can have a runny and/or blocked nose for a few hours after a swim session, which is fairly common I think. Will the same thing happen to me after the swim leg of the tri or will the fresh air on the bike help at all??

messed_up wrote: »

Just a question in relation to pool-based triathlons. I'm prone to getting a reaction to the chlorine in the pool and can have a runny and/or blocked nose for a few hours after a swim session, which is fairly common I think. Will the same thing happen to me after the swim leg of the tri or will the fresh air on the bike help at all??

Your best bet is to try and re-enact it. Go for a spin on your bike asap after a pool swim and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi findingfitness

I'm the same as you! My goals are pretty similar. Doing the Joey Hannon in a few mere weeks - 3 May - eeek! so close.:o

Swim - 500m - 11/12 mins
    Cycle - 26k - 1hr 5/7mins (would love to do it quicker but will have to see!)
    Run - 5k -27/28 mins

Sounds like your flyin it with your training! You excited about your first tri? The closer I seem to get to mine the more nervous I think I feel about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Hi everyone.

Ill start with mine

Bike 52 mins
    Run about 28 mins

Hi Finding Fitness,

My first tri is next Sat in Portlaoise:D. Getting quite nervous now over the swim which is taking me around 23-24 mins at the minute. Hoping a bit of adrenaline may reduce that to 21 or 22 mins but not expecting much better than that.

Bike should be around 45 mins and run should be around 25mins if I can get over the "jelly legs" quickly.

A sub 1:30 would be brilliant but probably looking at 1:35 - will depend on transition times also. Looking forward to it. Have entered TriAthy then also at the end of May.

You have a good while left to reduce your times especially on the bike and run with some good focussed training. Good luck with it.

I'm not quite a newbie so won't hijack the thread!
    I'll be doing Kilkee and the olympic one in Kenmare- Little Bo peep I think it's called. Anybody doing these? Does anyone have any ideas about accommodation in Kilkee or is it already too late!?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hey all thanks so much for your replies its lovely to see there are so many of us in the same boat.

HardyEustace: im amazed that the swim can be that quick in ballina i knew the current would speed things up but i never realised that much so happy days!!!

messed_up: we seem to be similar time wise best of luck with your tri's and make sure you let us know how they go im dying to hear.
    excitementcity i can completely understand your nerves but im sure it will be well worth it on the day and again i cant wait for details.

papamike: Wow next saturday god you must be excited now oh best of luck and enjoy keep us informed and thanks for your reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Hi Finding,
    I remember seeing this as a report of someone who had done their first tri.
    It might be worth a look.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55851395&postcount=58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gatorade

Hi, this is a great thread.

I have some silly questions, just humour me! :o

My first triathlon is the Dublin City Triathlon (Super Sprint)

I was wondering (not kidding):

• When you are making your transition e.g wetsuit to bike, if the people either side of you got there before you does that mean their stuff is all over the place on the ground cos obviously they're racing and not going to clear their wetsuit etc away. Does it cause a blockup trying to get your own bike etc?
    • Is it better/easier to swim directly behind someone or swim out to the side with no one too close? Do you get kicked in the face or people behind you hitting your feet? I noticed people swimming really close to one another i thought maybe it was because the person in front takes the brunt of the water making it easier for the person behind but then the person behind gets all that water in their face so i dunno......see i told you they were silly questions :D
    • I have poor circulation and can see my feet and hands going numb pretty quickly in the water, would buttering them up help?
    • Does anyone know the exact cycle and run route for the super sprint?
    Thanks for helping!!!

p.s. just wanted to say i got a great wetsuit for 108 euro which was much cheaper than what my gym store was offering (299 euro). Got it at wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

gatorade wrote: »
    When you are making your transition e.g wetsuit to bike, if the people either side of you got there before you does that mean their stuff is all over the place on the ground cos obviously they're racing and not going to clear their wetsuit etc away. Does it cause a blockup trying to get your own bike etc?
    In my limited experience - no. I suppose people don't want their expensive wetsuit getting destroyed or going missing!
    What I did find, however, was that when I came back in from my bike, other cyclists who had arrived before me (that would be most of them ;)) had f*cked their bikes up on the rack leaving no space for me so I had to move other bikes to make room for mine - costing me precious time.

Is it better/easier to swim directly behind someone or swim out to the side with no one too close?
    Start at the back. But when you get going, if you can get close behind someone it can reduce the required effort by about 10% (I think).
    However, if you're uncomfortable being that close then do your own thing.

Do you get kicked in the face or people behind you hitting your feet?
    If you judge the distance correctly from the person in front of you then you won't get kicked. There may be some contact - if you start at the front then definitely expect full-contact-swimming - but if you start at the back (or close to it) you should be ok.

I noticed people swimming really close to one another i thought maybe it was because the person in front takes the brunt of the water making it easier for the person behind
    ....exactly !! :)

but then the person behind gets all that water in their face so i dunno
    I haven't found that to be the case.

......see i told you they were silly questions :D
    No such thing here. :)

I have poor circulation and can see my feet and hands going numb pretty quickly in the water, would buttering them up help?
    Heh. Probably not. However the image of a very buttery athlete slipping and sliding all over transition makes me smile. :D
    You can get neoprene gloves and shoes however I think that would affect your swimming.

Best of luck in the race.

Regards,

Liam

liamo wrote: »
    In my limited experience - no. I suppose people don't want their expensive wetsuit getting destroyed or going missing!
    What I did find, however, was that when I came back in from my bike, other cyclists who had arrived before me (that would be most of them ;)) had f*cked their bikes up on the rack leaving no space for me so I had to move other bikes to make room for mine - costing me precious time.

Start at the back. But when you get going, if you can get close behind someone it can reduce the required effort by about 10% (I think).
    However, if you're uncomfortable being that close then do your own thing.

If you judge the distance correctly from the person in front of you then you won't get kicked. There may be some contact - if you start at the front then definitely expect full-contact-swimming - but if you start at the back (or close to it) you should be ok.

....exactly !! :)

I haven't found that to be the case.

No such thing here. :)

Heh. Probably not. However the image of a very buttery athlete slipping and sliding all over transition makes me smile. :D
    You can get neoprene gloves and shoes however I think that would affect your swimming.

Best of luck in the race.

Regards,

Liam

Liam, thank you so much. Really appreciate it! :)

Hi, this is a great thread.

I have some silly questions, just humour me! :o

My first triathlon is the Dublin City Triathlon (Super Sprint)

I was wondering (not kidding):

• When you are making your transition e.g wetsuit to bike, if the people either side of you got there before you does that mean their stuff is all over the place on the ground cos obviously they're racing and not going to clear their wetsuit etc away. Does it cause a blockup trying to get your own bike etc?
    • Is it better/easier to swim directly behind someone or swim out to the side with no one too close? Do you get kicked in the face or people behind you hitting your feet? I noticed people swimming really close to one another i thought maybe it was because the person in front takes the brunt of the water making it easier for the person behind but then the person behind gets all that water in their face so i dunno......see i told you they were silly questions :D
    • I have poor circulation and can see my feet and hands going numb pretty quickly in the water, would buttering them up help?
    • Does anyone know the exact cycle and run route for the super sprint?
    Thanks for helping!!!

p.s. just wanted to say i got a great wetsuit for 108 euro which was much cheaper than what my gym store was offering (299 euro). Got it at wiggle.

You can make the swim a lot easier by drafting the swimmer in front. Pick someone going more or less the same speed, tuck in behind and away you go. Just remember to check up occasionally to make sure they're going the right way. You don't have to be too close either to get a benefit- if your hands get into the bubbles from their kick you're fine.

As for the transitions it's considered bad form to leave your stuff lying around everywhere, so if it's in your spot just shove it over to one side. And speaking of shiny new wetsuits, don't forget to write your name on it. You can guarantee there'll be some guy with a loudspeaker at the end asking if somebody took a "black orca" suit by mistake, no other defining features...

Not so sure about the butter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

I've been training 8 weeks.... Can't say I've given it my best, but I have been working at it.... I've never run before, it's been 6 years since I last cycled and I'm scared of the damned thing, & it's been over 10 years since I last swam. The swimming I'm liking, the cycling is fine but damnit I hope I learn to like running!!!! My aim is to try to stay in running mode to the finish.... (please don't let me walk...)

I'll wave at you when you're racing past me Mike!!!

Oh.... but I'll try my best to leave you for dust come Athy!!! ;)

Do many people doing a super sprint have a proper road-racing bike?

How important is it to have a racing bike?

Do many people doing a super sprint have a proper road-racing bike?

How important is it to have a racing bike?

Not at all important I would have said. Plenty of people go for mountain bikes etc. The road bike would be a little quicker, but if you're more keen on enjoying the tri and finishing any bike really is fine. I once saw a person do an olympic distance on one of those three-speed basket-on-front type bikes without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah you'll manage on any bike but you would find it much faster on a road bike. Would any friends even have one that you could borrow or even a hybrid (straight handlebars but still small wheels)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

From my perspective... I've cycled 80 miles on a mountain bike fadó fadó and know it's possible. However I've also cycled on one with a friend on a road bike & it's mighty frustrating to see them free wheeling while your breaking you backside and they're still getting away from you. Great way to train mind you & You will have the knowledge that you had to work harder than everyone else to get there.

If you're question is.... Do others use mountain bikes? then the answer is yes. You won't be frowned upon.

If it is, is it worth while having a road racer?... the answer is DEFINATELY!!

But that's just my two cents worth.

Advertisement