Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done excitementcity :) How did you find handling the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

yeah really love the new bike. You just fly along on it. It's so much better being outside than in spin but can't wait for the weather to warm up. It's so cold these last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah really love the new bike. You just fly along on it. It's so much better being outside than in spin but can't wait for the weather to warm up. It's so cold these last few days

If you don't already have any (and feel it's worth it seeing as we're fast approaching warmer weather) invest in proper cycling gear at chainreactions or wiggle. Nice fleeces/jackets/padded shorts etc really are a million times warmer and more comfortable than 'normal' gear.

Thanks Canis Lupus. Must get some proper cycling gear alrite. I really need padded shorts or something gosh I could barely sit down after my last cycle. I felt every bump and lump on the road!Think those racers need spring loaded saddles!:D

Guys just wanted to ask your advice also. I know I am new to all this and while I have always enjoyed going to the gym or playing sports I haven't ever really been very committed before. I really want to give this triathlon a good go but I have to say I'm getting a bit frustrated with my running. I have made progress from where I started but maybe I'm not making as much progress as I would like. Recently I have been running in the morning before work as it is the only time I can fit it in so im not sure if this makes a difference as I am still pulling the sleep out of my eyes on the run but I keep seeming to do the same times and I really don't feel I have the push to go faster! I suppose I just wanted to ask all you experienced runners how do I get better..is it just more miles or should I be doing my runs more often? Last week I got 3 runs 5k runs in and averaged 27/28 mins which I know is not very fast.

Thanks a mil:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Just keep at it and the time will improve. Running in the morning suits some people, other people do it because it's the only time they can. I don't hate it but I do run slower in the morning. 27/28 minutes for 5k training run is not that slow - at a 5k race I ran last year, that would have put you well into the top half of the women finishers, and you would run faster under race conditions. Also getting three 5k runs in per week is no small achievement if you're doing gym, cycling, swimming as well. Over time, you'll probably make one of the runs each week a little longer and a second a little faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

27 to 28 mins isn't too shabby at all.

Just keep getting out there but be careful not to overdo it. I found it encouraging to keep an accurate log as I could watch my 10km time drop from 63 minutes to around 53 minutes in a couple of months. It was almost a steady drop by about 1 min a week. If you can see it dropping you're encouraged to keep going.

I'm still around 53mins, but haven't ran as much since Christmas due to an achilles injury. Luckily it seems fixed now. I overdid it over Christmas and ran 10km just about every day....being this dumb takes a lot of effort.

Welcome Canus Lupus and Redjeep! :)

I totally agree with you guys, nothing at all wrong with 27/28 mins for 5k. Thats well under 60mins for 10k pace and its also sub 4hour Marathon pace :) So that is actually a good pace to be at! In fact I started running exactly 2 years ago today and my first run was a red faced sweaty 5k in about 28 mins :D Just stick with it and you will get fitter and faster! Consistency is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Good thread guys and good to hear from so many people in the same position as I am.

I've signed up for my first tri's this year - Fingal on the 17th of May and the Tri Athy at the end of the month too. I did a few duathlons last year but have worked hard on my swimming, which is still poor but hugely improved since last year, and my overall strength during the winter so am really looking forward to the season ahead. My goal for the year is to complete an olympic distance by the end of the summer and then to switch to training for the dublin marathon - so a year of sporting firsts all in all

Welcome messed_up :)

Yeah its a good place for people in the same boat to chat about things. The Tri season is getting close now so the excitement for us newbies is building. I really need to get a plan working and get bike mileage done. I've had some very good session recently but the training in between has been up and down, Life things getting in the way!

Hope your training is going well and the swim focus is paying off

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

hello all,

first time triathlete as well here. Valentia will be my maiden event and like a lot of people on here I am mad to get going.

I come from a strong open water swimming background, Kilkee bay every year for the past eight years, Lee swim when its on and diving around the coast of ireland and further a field. I'm by no means quick so I aint no Michael Phelps but I hope the few tips below are useful.

First of all the good news - OW swimming is nothing like pool swimming. If you can do 1500m in a pool you'll swim 3000m in the ocean under the same steam. The bouyancy from you wetsuit and more importantly the salt in the water will make life an awful lot easier for you so don't fret about your pool stats. Use the pool to work on your stroke and build distance - once you have that base you'll really enjoy the sea.

having said that there are some things unique to OW swimming that you need to be aware of. The most important of these is visibility. If your only doing pool swimming you'd be surprised how dependant you have become on the pool floor and lanes to keep you straight. This isnt a problem though as long as you lift your head and look at your destination every few strokes. After years of practice I'm up to every six strokes looking up but if your new to it then I'd recommend every four max. You'd be surpirsed how many very accomplished pool swimmers dont do this. I've been in the water heading for land and been cut across by some 16 year old torpedos heading for Manhattan!!!!!

any way I've a few more tips and tricks that I'll get back to but this messages seems to be going on for ages .... I'll be back looking for some myself on the running side of things .... cant wait til May 18th

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

hi all. like jlang I'm so proud of myself.feel like I just reached my first big milestone too. I went out on my new bike last night and managed 23k. It took me 1hr 19. The wind along the coast makes some difference to a spin class:D felt like I was going nowhere at times with the wind but it was great.

Want to go out again tonight.feel like the bug is biting:D

Excitementcity, do you mean the coast road along clontarf? If so, what's it like to ride on in the dark? safe enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Hi guys Im new to triathlons. Im handy enough with cycling, as Id normally take 50k cycles, swimming and running Ill have to improve. Im 26 and was told on saturday at a fitness test that Im fit, so thats a real motivator. Im signing up for the Joey Hannon triathlon, but Ive no idea what to fill in on the estimated finish time of each section. Could anyone tell me the average time for a swim run and cycle on the try a tri? cant enter unless I have the info.
    Cheers

yep the coast road along clontarf. It's fine at in the evening. There is a cycle lane most of the way and there are a good few runners and other cyclists out in the evening too so it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hi All.... just need some advice on building my running speed and milage up a....

Last week i ran 9 miles the longest of which was 4 and the shortest was 1 all of which was done on a treadmill im afraid... the weather and dark evenings make it impossible to get out in day light and mornings just dont work for me i live in the country so no street lights 2 guide me.... my biggest problem is that i get bored on the treadmill and let myself off too early on the road i do out and back runs so i know that i have to get home so cant give up early if that makes any sense.
    I would like to be doing 3 runs a week one of which i would like to be a long run. i am looking for some suggestions for the other 2 runs. i plan to get out on the road more at the end of the month when the time changes.
    oh i have entered the mini marathon 10k in june which is a month before the tri in Ballina.
    oh and my speed is averaging a 10min mile i really need to work on my speed.

Hi findingfitness

There is more daylight there now so hopefully you can get up to 20 mins to get 2x 2 mile runs in during the week. Leave your long run to when you have most light and time and gradually extend it. Maybe add 0.5 of a mile each week. If you have 3 runs the perhaps 1 short at you planned race pace, 1 short one quicker than PRP (or parts of it quicker at least) and your long one a bit slower than PRP focussing on spending increasing amounts of time on your feet than worrying about your watch :)

For example

Tue: 2-3 miles at your target pace
    Thu: 1 mile easy, 1 mile 30 sec quicker than PRP, 0.5 easy
    Sat: Long 4 miles + at a comfortable pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

findingfitness - A track session could be an enjoyable additional session. You're in Castlebar - try the track behind the GMIT. It's lit up down there some nights and is good to go mornings too.

You could do say 2 k (5 laps) warm up and then some faster 1 k's with a fixed interval rest. It should build up your speed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

I have my first tri in about 5 weeks and I am quite worried after timing myself for a 750m swim. It took me 27:19 and I had to take a lot of breathers. Only started swimming last October and while I have made good progress from where I was then, I am quite worried now after seeing how long it took me to swim a 750.

Have various thoughts going through my head, do they have cut off times for pool swims, will I be let finish the swim, should I pull out and work on my swimming for another while before entering a tri? How far behind will I be after the swim?

Going to time myself once a week for a 750m for next few weeks and hopefully will see some improvement. Hopefully some adrenaline on the day may also improve my time:D

Anyway rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

papamike wrote: »
    I have my first tri in about 5 weeks and I am quite worried after timing myself for a 750m swim. It took me 27:19 and I had to take a lot of breathers. Only started swimming last October and while I have made good progress from where I was then, I am quite worried now after seeing how long it took me to swim a 750.

Have various thoughts going through my head, do they have cut off times for pool swims, will I be let finish the swim, should I pull out and work on my swimming for another while before entering a tri? How far behind will I be after the swim?

Going to time myself once a week for a 750m for next few weeks and hopefully will see some improvement. Hopefully some adrenaline on the day may also improve my time:D

Anyway rant over.

Yes there are cut off times. It varies from race to race. normally its 25-30 minutes for 750m. Ask the orgnaiser.

Don't pull out, work harder!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

papamike wrote: »

Anyway rant over.

Are there any tri clubs based near you?

I managed to get 3 or 4 sessions in with my local tri club last year and even such a short time with the coach made a huge improvement to my stroke and my breathing. I would have gone more often if training wasn't at 7am on Fridays :o

• Advertisement

Don't pull out, work harder!!!!

I second this. 5 weeks is a fair bit of time to train. You could be talking 12 - 15 sessions. Keep at it.

Stick with the swimming papamike! You still have plenty of time :)

Hi Guys

The advice is much appreciated.

The track it a great idea Dave K.... do you know what distance one lap is? or is it marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Usually 400 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Gah - track sessions, triathlon, 400s..................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

tunney wrote: »
    Gah - track sessions, triathlon, 400s..................
    That went right over my head, tunney. Can you explain some more.

jlang wrote: »
    That went right over my head, tunney. Can you explain some more.

+1 Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Cheers for the encouragement Tunney, hardCopy, Dave_K and MCOS.

Had no real intentions of pulling out of the tri but was a bit down over the time.

Had a good session with the tri club last night and did another 750m today in 25:02 which knocked over 2 minutes of last weeks time (27:19) so am in a better frame of mind this evening. Broke it down again into 3x250s and was quicker through all three splits with similar rest ~40secs. Long may the improvements continue:D:D

Cut of time for the tri is 30 minutes so should be ok for that. Also got a rush of blood to the head this afternoon after the swim and went and entered TriAthy....

The track it a great idea Dave K.... do you know what distance one lap is? or is it marked?

Yep it's 400 m and is not marked. It's a cinder track so is more foregiving on the joints that the road. It's nice down there (and quiet) and is a good place to go for an hour at the weekend too.

• Advertisement

Cheers Dave K

Ill def be giving the track a go.

Advertisement