Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options
  • 20-02-2009 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Welcome :)

It may be shortlived but the reason for this thread is to have a place for novice (first time) newbies to Triathlon where a curious, learning and encouraging level of discussion can take place. I was thinking that last year we had a Marathon thread on this Forum that so many first timers contributed to and a community emerged for the same purpose of 26.2 miles. It resulted in some brilliant achievements rewarding journeys. The general encouragement was fantasic and there was a great deal of experienced and often expert advice to learn from. I have found that getting ready for my first Triathlon is actually more exciting than my first Marathon. There is so much more to consider. One sure thing I can assure you of is that talking about it openly is a surefire way to keep you focused and on your toes about the decision you have made!

This thread can be about anything you like related to your first Triathlon...

- Training for Swimming, Cycling and Running and balancing it all
    - Gear, is all of this lycra really necessary?!
    - Equipment, so many questions, so much choice...
    - How you are feeling about this new adventure
    - The first race report post
    - Getting it right on the day
    - Transitions, no nudity? How to peel off a wetsuit? Shoes etc...
    - Events, goals and whatever else you may think of...

Maybe you just want to have a moan... like me right now, I feel like I have gone backwards in time with my swimming this week. After 2 terrible swims my confidence took a hit, however I have to trust the work I have been doing and the progress I've made to this point. I still have loads of time before I do my first Triathlon!

If this thread is still alive when I do my first Triathlon, I'll post a detailed account of my experience that day. I'll also make sure to welcome every newbie to the thread as I am just as excited to hear about how others get on too :)

And lastly, there is no need to be alone on your first event. There is bound to be a boardsie there in the same boat as you so say hi and wish each other luck when you put a face to the name :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i might as well jump into this one at the start.

I did my first marathon last year but that was kinda spur of the moment and i always planned to do a few triathalons.
    Right now i am getting ready for the connemarathon. Once that is over i will take a little break (build up my body fat and train my liver for a bit :rolleyes: )
    and then look at triathalons.

Current situation:

I swim fairly regularly, it used to be 3 or four times a week but i've cut down now since so much of my time is spent running. im not a fast swimmer and my form isnt the best but im ok for long distances. i generally do about 100-120 lengths (one way) of an 18m pool. i wish i could use a bigger pool, i plan on using the sea once the weather gets better.

Long before i was running i was in a cycling club....its been a while but dont think it would be really hard for me to get back into that. I'll have to train a lot but i think my base marathon and swimming fittness and discipline will stand to me.

In think the running bit will be fairly easy to train for.

Plan:

i was always interested in olympic distance, it seemed about right....but now that i've done one marathon and am training for a second....it seems kindaa....short:o

cant remember the swim dist.....but 40k cycle is pretty short and 10k run? thats my short jog i do 3 or four times a week.

i really want to do a half iron man ( eireman/lost sheep) ....looks like a good distance for me. i'll probably do an olympic as training during the summer.

i know this thread will probably disappear somewhere....but thats my goal, i've said it so now i cant back down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i might as well jump into this one at the start.

I did my first marathon last year but that was kinda spur of the moment and i always planned to do a few triathalons.
    Right now i am getting ready for the connemarathon. Once that is over i will take a little break (build up my body fat and train my liver for a bit :rolleyes: )
    and then look at triathalons.

Current situation:

I swim fairly regularly, it used to be 3 or four times a week but i've cut down now since so much of my time is spent running. im not a fast swimmer and my form isnt the best but im ok for long distances. i generally do about 100-120 lengths (one way) of an 18m pool. i wish i could use a bigger pool, i plan on using the sea once the weather gets better.

Long before i was running i was in a cycling club....its been a while but dont think it would be really hard for me to get back into that. I'll have to train a lot but i think my base marathon and swimming fittness and discipline will stand to me.

In think the running bit will be fairly easy to train for.

Plan:

i was always interested in olympic distance, it seemed about right....but now that i've done one marathon and am training for a second....it seems kindaa....short:o

cant remember the swim dist.....but 40k cycle is pretty short and 10k run? thats my short jog i do 3 or four times a week.

i really want to do a half iron man ( eireman/lost sheep) ....looks like a good distance for me. i'll probably do an olympic as training during the summer.

i know this thread will probably disappear somewhere....but thats my goal, i've said it so now i cant back down!

Ugly John,
    Pretty much the same with me, I am hoping to do a Half iron man at the end of summer, won't say Olympic distance is short its all about the intensity but I seem to do better at longer events, got a training program sorted at now getting stuck into that, I will do a few sprint and Olympic distances during the summer to get a feel for the event.

I want to complete the Half IM once I give it everything I have and complete I will be happy for this year if I am last so be it. I have gone back on my training lately to build my aerobic base so it’s a little worrying coming on here reading about guys who are flying but it all about the end of summer for me will do a few open water swims late summer to get a bit of experience in the water.

Good idea for a thread MCOS

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

MCOS wrote: »
    :o If its clashing with another thread Request Mod please remove :o

what other thread? should i cut and paste my post over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome uglyjohn and nortal :)

uglyjohn I just thought initially that this clashed with findingfitness, so I was unsure whether to start it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hi Mcos

This is a great thread maybe mine should be just moved over here as its a great idea.

I think its exactly what i need anyway to have some kindred spirits all heading in the same direction. so i will def keep you all posted on my progress and ask my millions of questions here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Not quite first time, as I did a sprint distance race last October, but I really enjoyed it and decided to do more. That was off minimal training mainly swimming (breast stroke only) and I was using a fairly heavy hybrid bike. Severe calf cramp in both legs about 1km before the end of the bike limited my ability to make up time on the run. Currently marathon training so running 5 days a week, but I'm trying to get out on the bike 1-2 times a week as well and after April, I'll be running less. I've started swimming lessons to build up my crawl stroke as I can BS hard for an hour but could only ever make a single length of "proper" swimming back in my teens.

Doing Valentia in May, but I'll see how the swimming lessons are going before committing to anything longer. I'd love to do a half distance race but that could wait till next year. It'll be my swimming progress that determines whether I'm able to enter a longer race, but once I'm happy I can make the distance, I feel it'll then be the bike where I'll have most scope to improve.

Gearwise, I've bought the road bike and wetsuit but I'm only acquiring what I need after that.

Welcome findingfitness and jlang :)

jlang - I've entered Valentia Island too! It will be my first open water swim. Still have to get a wetsuit and try OW swimming. What Marathon are you doing?

I usually never train on friday evenings but training has been so inconsistant this week that I'm hitting the pool afterwork to do something to restore the confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

jlang - I've entered Valentia Island too! It will be my first open water swim. Still have to get a wetsuit and try OW swimming. What Marathon are you doing?
    Doing Vienna marathon, 19th April. April suited as it gives me good time to get prepared, but yet be long enough before Valentia to recover. My chief supporter and I chose Vienna from the list of European marathons around then as the place we most wanted to go rather than because the race would be hard or easy although it looks average enough, as marathons go.

From looking at your training log, I think it'll be a minor Valentian victory for me if I get to start my run before you get in from yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Good thread guys. Currently I'm working on my swimming (its terrible compared to the cycling and running!!). I generally run marathons and I cycle nearly everywhere. The swim is the bit that is worrying me, especially the open water bit. Good to know I'm not suffering alone!:o

Hi All. god when i read what ye are all doing i feel amazed. dont know if i will ever be where ye are now but here's hoping.... im kinda at the same level with bike, run, & swim at the moment and when i say at the same level i mean weak at all 3 lol! so far i have been trying to get everything in twice a week aswel as twice for weight training to try and burn a bit of unwanted fat that just wont budge (aprox a stone - 5ft5 11stone female) my longest at each so far is:
    Bike 1 hour bout 7 miles
    Run 32 mins 3 miles - slow easy run
    Swim 80 lengths of 20 metre pool in an hour - tired after it.

In your opinions is this good, bad, average i really have no idea???

• Advertisement

Hi All. god when i read what ye are all doing i feel amazed. dont know if i will ever be where ye are now but here's hoping.... im kinda at the same level with bike, run, & swim at the moment and when i say at the same level i mean weak at all 3 lol! so far i have been trying to get everything in twice a week aswel as twice for weight training to try and burn a bit of unwanted fat that just wont budge (aprox a stone - 5ft5 11stone female) my longest at each so far is:
    Bike 1 hour bout 7 miles
    Run 32 mins 3 miles - slow easy run
    Swim 80 lengths of 20 metre pool in an hour - tired after it.

In your opinions is this good, bad, average i really have no idea???

That seems fine but the run is a bit short. Try to mix up your running a bit include some tempo and interval sessions to build strength. The only advice I could give is try to fit in training around your schedule - cycle/run to work, then swim that evening/morning. In such a situation plan your A training and B training - what I mean is cycles to and from work EASY (B training) and push it running/swimming that day (A training). The swimming program I'm doing at the mo is this one: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html
    Hope this helps

Crosbie.... i thought my run was a little short alright so ill def do the tempo/interval thing. unfortunatly i cant cycle to work even though i would love to but the stretch of road i would have to use is just way too dangerous especially that time of the morning. (narrow & windy with cars flying) im going to have a look at that swim program now too so thanks.

Crosbie.... i thought my run was a little short alright so ill def do the tempo/interval thing. unfortunatly i cant cycle to work even though i would love to but the stretch of road i would have to use is just way too dangerous especially that time of the morning. (narrow & windy with cars flying) im going to have a look at that swim program now too so thanks.
    I'm a member of a running club and find its great to be in a group that way you will push yourself a bit harder. I got a present of Friel's book, The Triathlete's Training Bible - very good for training programs if a bit complicated. Would also recommend the Tri220 Magazine some good pointers. As for individual tempo runs the most basic one if a fartlek, Swedish for speed play - basically run hard to a marker say a telegraph pole and jog recover, i.e until you get your breath back. Another is to do a run 4-5 miler with 1min on 1min off - run hard for 1 min and jog recover for 1 min. Do this for the course of the run. And of course there are hill sessions.... but it hurts me to even think about those now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

My first Tri will be Valentia too and really looking forward to it. Training for me at the moment is: 3 x swim, 2 x bike, 3 x run, 2 x gym, with one day off each week.
    Trying to build up strength for swimming and overall fitness.

Run: I try break the 3 days into a short, medium and long run. (Short sprints, 5k and 8k ish)
    Bike: is 2 days of 20k or so.
    Gym: is usually weights etc.
    Swim: is my weakest and try to just build up distance, I can do 1100 without stopping at the moment. I try a few drills if the pool is busy.

Am I on the right route training wise? Anything stand out as foolish?

My goal is to complete an Olympic distance this summer, but that is depending on how training goes.

Welcome crosbie and fade2che :)

You both seem to be doing well so keep up the good work! The swimming will come, just try to focus on improving one thing at a time, the endurance will improve with work.

findingfitness you are swimming a mile in a 20 meter pool :eek: Thats good going! Is that front crawl? I agree with crosbie, start to get a bit more variety. With your 2 runs try to progressively extend the length of one even if its 2 more minutes each week. With the other keep it short but progress the speed of it. Its great that you can stay on the bike for an hour, again if you are doing 2 bike sessions progress the distance of one of them each week until it is at least the distance you will be cycling on the day.

Welcome crosbie and fade2che :)
    findingfitness you are swimming a mile in a 20 meter pool :eek: Thats good going! Is that front crawl? I agree with crosbie, start to get a bit more variety. With your 2 runs try to progressively extend the length of one even if its 2 more minutes each week. With the other keep it short but progress the speed of it. Its great that you can stay on the bike for an hour, again if you are doing 2 bike sessions progress the distance of one of them each week until it is at least the distance you will be cycling on the day.

Hi MCOS. yes the swim is front crawl its the only stroke i can do really.
    if i say done 20 mins interval work one day a week on treadmill and then tried to add distance on Sunday on the road would that be ok. i can try and add to that then. and the same idea for the bike one day in gym 20 mins going hard and one trying to get distance in on the road.. the dark evenings and living in the country makes it impossible to get out on the road during the week... roll on long evenings.

... roll on long evenings.

I hear ya ;) I live in the sticks too and the roads are terribly windy and potholed.

I learned to swim last year and I can only front crawl too! I'm cool with that though as breast stroke isn't going to get me through the Tri too quickly. 1.6k of front crawl is well ahead of your 3m run and 7m bike so developing the distance in those 2 is a sensible approach.

There are so many ways to approach training but IMO if you are progressing a little each week and each session has a purpose you are training smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Roll on the early mornings too...can be hard to find time as this time of year for all the training with work/family etc. Tend to do most training during the week at lunchtime or late evening when kids in bed.

Great idea for a post MCOS...seems to be plenty of trinewbies out there this year. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

crosbie wrote: »
    Good thread guys. Currently I'm working on my swimming (its terrible compared to the cycling and running!!). I generally run marathons and I cycle nearly everywhere. The swim is the bit that is worrying me, especially the open water bit. Good to know I'm not suffering alone!:o

I am heading into my second year of triathlons and I was the same last year regarding open water swimming, my first time out with the club I was pretty nervous, but once i realised that I couldnt sink with my wetsuit i relaxed alot and then realised that OW swimming was pretty easy compared to the pool IMO. Probably because I was a bad pool swimmer and the extra bouyency of the wetsuit helped alot so after a few sprint races and having never swam more than 1000m i did Kilkee, and somehow managed to do the swim in 30mins,although not a great time but seeing i had never swam that far i was delighted. So all I can say to newbies regarding OW swimming is not to fear it just get in some practice before your planned races and you will be fine.

Lake swimming is different than sea swimming as the water in irish lakes is usually dirty and you cant see anything but dont let that put you off lake triathlons as at the end of the day if you stick to what you have done in training you will be fine.

So once the water warms out yee get and enjoy it and be safe, but remember never swim on your own

Welcome papmike and wellboss :) Where are you guys from?

• Advertisement

I'm a mayo man myself, Cant wait for the season to start, bring on the warmer weather and longer evenings:):):)

Hey All
    This may seem like a really daft question but im going to ask it anyway.... is whey protein just for guys or could a woman find it usefull and if so in what way?? Im just not sure how it works and is it only for bulking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi all. Just signed up for my first tri today! Going to do the the Joey Hannon tri-a-tri on 3 May. 500m swim, 26k cycle and 5k run.

So far I think I have the swim down to about 11/12 mins, I don't have a bike as of yet but I have ordered one and should get it this week but I do a 45 mins spin class followed by a 5k run (try to do this about 4 times a wk) and have the run down to 27mins so far.

Im a bit worried about the cycle as so far Im not sure if im able for the distance as it is yet untested because I have no idea how far I'm cycling in the spin class. Do you think im on track? Or way behind? I have no idea!

Anyone else doing this tri?

Well done on singing up for your first tri, you wont regret it. Regarding the cycling section, 4 days a week doing spin classes should have you at a decent level of fitness, so when your bike arrives make sure to get out and do some longer cycles to build up your endurance and im sure you will be flying come race day, sure you still have over 2 months until the event, so plenty of time to improve your cycling.

Oh yeah iv signed up for the try-a-tri as well. Currently out injured so dont want to rush back by jumping straight into a standard distance race. Heard it was a great race so can't wait

Welcome excitementcity :)

Ad wellboss said 4 spin classes and 4 5k runs will have your fitnees in decent shape for the try a tri. Just get some longer spins on your bike when you can.

I entered the Joey Hannon myself this morning, can't wait :D

Hi all thanks for the welcome and the encouragement!:)

I have to say I'm really excited doing my first tri, if not a bit nervous at the same time. :oBut hopefully it will go ok. As you said at least I have two months. Just can't wait to get the bike and get out cycling properly. I also can't wait until it gets a bit brighter and I can go out in the evenings (being a girl im a bit nervous about running around in the dark at night!)

I'm actually living in Dublin (northside) at the moment but from Limerick but just wondering if anyone knows any nice routes for cycling in Dublin that's not too congested. I was thinking of cycling out to Howth or somewhere like that.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Howth is a nice cycle with a pretty good hill to test you :-) The phoenix park is a great place to learn to ride a bike properly.

There is rarely any need to be nervous running on your own if you carry a mobile with you and stay to populated area's. I regularly run both city and country roads in the dark and have only once had a potential problem and even then the guy took off as soon as I took a phone out of my pocket. Plenty of horns beeped and comments yelled though but nothing physical.

1.6k of front crawl is well ahead of your 3m run and 7m bike so developing the distance in those 2 is a sensible approach.

There are so many ways to approach training but IMO if you are progressing a little each week and each session has a purpose you are training smart.

MCOS i took your advice and went out on the bike sat morning after investing in my first pair of cycling shorts (they felt rediculous but i dont know how i managed without them up to now) and i cycled 11 miles in 1hr 14 felt great but wind was against me through part and man that really made a difference.
    Went for a nice slow run on sunday again but again was windy and 3 miles was all i could manage but i plan on increasing that by about 10% next week. I know the cycle was a big leap in milage for me but i just kept going while it felt ok. Is it bad to increase milage by that much and should i keep it at that level for a week or two or is it ok to keep increasing but by smaller amounts??

Thanks for the advice Honeymonster really appreciate it. Your probably right about being out and about at night. Key is to probably stay in the well lit up areas.

• Advertisement

Hi all sorry another question. What would be an average time for a 26K cycle?

Thanks

Advertisement