Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

What distances are you guys putting in on the bike, went out yesterday did 2.5 hours in Wicklow, kept getting lost so had to retrace my steps which was very annoying, going to buy a basic computer hoping to get near the 80km in the next few weeks, I know I can do it physically it just to get the mental confidence, don't want to be stuck somewhere a long way from home as happened on one of my LSR one time not a nice feeling

Next purchase a new bike - may have to wait a few months unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

hi everyone i'm planning on doing a duathlon if a few weeks time, have something to work towards while my swimming improves. but what do i wear?
    I dont think i'd be able to run in cycling shorts, just wear normal shorts?

Do ye wear a jacket on the bike, find i'm ok in tshirt running but would be cold on the bike in just that.
    id feel like a bit of a prat in a trisuit, dont think i'll be going very fast!!!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

MCOS wrote: »
    Welcome papmike and wellboss :) Where are you guys from?

From Offaly myself, live out in the sticks.

Have entered Portlaoise Tri as my first and am contemplating Tri Athy for first open water event but will need to decide soon as I'm sure it'll sell out shortly...after that who knows but definitely doing Adidas series over the summer up to half marathon and maybe beyond;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome novarapid :)

What duathlon are you doing?

One thing guys I am learning as a newbie is the value of doing a short run off your bike sessions (not every one but at least a couple before your first event) I was doing a duathlon yesterday and the didn't feel like they belonged to me after the bike! That is until they cramped :eek:

MCOS i took your advice and went out on the bike sat morning after investing in my first pair of cycling shorts (they felt rediculous but i dont know how i managed without them up to now) and i cycled 11 miles in 1hr 14 felt great but wind was against me through part and man that really made a difference.
    Went for a nice slow run on sunday again but again was windy and 3 miles was all i could manage but i plan on increasing that by about 10% next week. I know the cycle was a big leap in milage for me but i just kept going while it felt ok. Is it bad to increase milage by that much and should i keep it at that level for a week or two or is it ok to keep increasing but by smaller amounts??

Good stuff findingfitness. The running guys would generally recommend no more that a 10% increase in mileage per week. I'm not so sure about cycling. If you went from 7 to 11 miles on the bike and it felt ok then no harm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I think the main reason you shouldn't increase your running too quickly is due to the increased risk of injuries such as shin splints and achilles tendonitis which are common if you do too much too soon. Your body needs to adapt. I'm just recovering from an achilles problem from over Christmas due to over use.

Shouldn't be a problem on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Thanks Redjeep & MCOS its great to get a second opinion... thats whats great about this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

novarapid wrote: »
    hi everyone i'm planning on doing a duathlon if a few weeks time, have something to work towards while my swimming improves. but what do i wear?
    I dont think i'd be able to run in cycling shorts, just wear normal shorts?

Do ye wear a jacket on the bike, find i'm ok in tshirt running but would be cold on the bike in just that.
    id feel like a bit of a prat in a trisuit, dont think i'll be going very fast!!!

thanks

Running in cycle shorts is no fun, did that for my first duathlon and wouldn't recommend it. Normal shorts can be uncomfortable on the bike but you may get away with them depending on bike leg distance and type of saddle you have on the bike.

If you already own a tri-suit, this is your best option. You could wear that with a top (short- or long-sleeved) over it, should keep you warm enough on the bike, and make you a little less concious of the tri-suit. Having said that, you'll find plenty wearing tri-suits and not going "very fast", so you shouldn't be overly concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

thanks for that Madhatter.

Hi MCOS i hope to do the duathlon thats on in Waterford in April, i won't be ready for the one thats on this Saturday. I find that with something to aim for can give it a good lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Good stuff findingfitness. The running guys would generally recommend no more that a 10% increase in mileage per week. I'm not so sure about cycling. If you went from 7 to 11 miles on the bike and it felt ok then no harm :)

Cycling would be similar but for different reasons. The key points you need to understand are :

1. Every 4-6 weeks have a recovery week where you train less, or a less of an intensity. Your body actually gets fitter during these times.

2. Don't increase your total training time by much more than 10% each week. This is a bit obscure I find but its aimed at letting your body adapt.

3. Learn to train at different intensities. There's no point going 100% everyday you'll only just limit your gains. I'm a cyclist, at the moment, and I have several days of high intensity training per week and several of low intensity. Short Rides are harder rides, long rides are easier rides. I measure everything by heart rate.

4. Don't be afraid to take a day off / miss a workout. Its your body and you know when you shouldn't train..

Basically summarise this all as -- if you want to go longer go easier. If you want to increase your speed go faster for shorter.

I was browsing this thread because I am thinking of doing a tri this year, olympic distance, and then an Half Ironman next year.... Its all very exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

scottreynolds

Thats great advice thank you I will deffinatly take it on board.... and yes I do agree this is all very exciting lol....

Welcome scottreynolds :)

Thanks for the bike advice. I wasn't sure about the bike mileage being a noob to that. I'll take the 10% approach in the build up to my big goal in the summer. As for a Tri, pick one and sign up! I joined a club recently and have 2 Duathlons done. I'm positively buzzing about doing my first Tri!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Welcome scottreynolds :)

Thanks for the bike advice. I wasn't sure about the bike mileage being a noob to that. I'll take the 10% approach in the build up to my big goal in the summer. As for a Tri, pick one and sign up! I joined a club recently and have 2 Duathlons done. I'm positively buzzing about doing my first Tri!

I will -- I have a 1000km cycle in May, am planning the Dub Marathon on October (I think thats when it is), and have a new baby boy Joshua. So if I can fit in a Tri I will certainly otherwise its next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

I have also entered the Joey Hannon Try a Tri this morning and I am looking forward to it. Haven't even done one tri yet and the bug seems to be biting:D. That's two entered and am considering two or three more.

A little concerned about the 50m pool swim though as I only train in a 25m pool. As a lad who could be looking for a breather around 225m there could be a lot of thrashing around grasping for a wall that isn't there:D. Always the lane rope I suppose. What's the depth of the pool?

A trip to the NAC may be a good idea....bring the family...build up some brownie points:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

This is not a ploy to get some of the "excessive back slapping" but I want to note a milestone in my triathlon training. ;)

I swam my first 25m length of front crawl in the lesson this evening. Back in my school days (early 90s) I could just about manage a length but would have just held my breath with my head down the whole way. Feeling more confident I'm not going to have to breast stroke it over to Valentia!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

well done, you will be amazed how quick you will be able to tag 60 lengths together.

jlang wrote: »
    This is not a ploy to get some of the "excessive back slapping" but I want to note a milestone in my triathlon training. ;)

I swam my first 25m length of front crawl in the lesson this evening. Back in my school days (early 90s) I could just about manage a length but would have just held my breath with my head down the whole way. Feeling more confident I'm not going to have to breast stroke it over to Valentia!

Well done jlang, thats a milestone indeed! Your fitness and enthusiasm will build on that quickly :D

@scottreynolds, Tall orders there mate, best of luck with all 3!

@findingfitness, apologies I completely forgot to welcome you :o Welcome findingfitness :) and good on you starting a log!

@Highway_To_Hell, welcome how is your own training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

@Highway_To_Hell, welcome how is your own training going?

Only a year back training after a very long layoff. Did a few Tri's and the Dublin Duathlons last year as well as the Addidas race series runs and finished off the year with the DCM (my first).

My current target is the Lisbon 1/2 Ironman in April which I am registered for but due to a familly illness I might have to abandon this event, currently seening if I can fly out on Friday and return directly after the race on Saturday, I would hope for a < 6hr finish so I am not and never was fast :-) If I am happy enough with my finish I might contemplate the full Ironman event in Wexford in August.

All my training like everyone else has to fit in with familly and work so currently have problems getting my long cycles done, once we get a bit of more light in the mornings I will be able to get 3/4 hr bike sessions in before work. Running is going OK still need to do a lot more speed work as I am now in the habit of doing long steady runs instead of mixing it up a bit. Swimming is going well and endurance has built up well and now able for 3.5-4K in a swim session (60-70 mins).

good luck to everyone else and their sporting plans for the year.

H_T_H

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Hey All,

I too have decided to dip my toe in the water, so to speak, and train for my first Tri. Initially I was looking at Tri Athy in May but I think that something in June / July may be more realistic.

I started a blog at http://triandgetasixpack.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you think!!

Best of luck to each of you in your endeavours :D

Welcome crank_1975 :)

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Just wondering how you are getting on with your Tri prep? I can see the guys with logs are making good progress (well done DAVE_K, papmike, findingfitness and kinkquez :) ), what about the people who don't have logs?

The training balance is tricky. I haven't been able to run this week and the bike still hasn't been assembled from last weekend so the swimming is making good progress :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

Hey guys,

Just wondering how you are getting on with your Tri prep? I can see the guys with logs are making good progress (well done DAVE_K, papmike, findingfitness and kinkquez :) ), what about the people who don't have logs?

The training balance is tricky. I haven't been able to run this week and the bike still hasn't been assembled from last weekend so the swimming is making good progress :rolleyes:

I agree trying to fit everything in is as tough as the training itself, but the variety can be more interesting than doing one sport, don't have a training log myself, should look into it maybe. at the moment I my training is time based, physiological more than anything instead of going for a 5 mile run I say I will do a 35min run the way I get it done maybe during my lunch break. I will continue that way until the end of May final exams done and less than 60 hour working week. at the moment I do the following.

Monday - Swim
    Tuesday - swim
    Wed/Thur - run
    Friday - Swim
    Sat/Sun Run/cycle

Need to get myself in better shape, it a pity I decided so late to do this tri stuff the season is about to start and I am really about 4 months behind but half IM is my target,.

Don't get too frustrated with your set back could be a blessing in disguise:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi all.

Yep training hasn't been going well this week, really bad week. Been so busy with work etc and had something on every evening this week only managed to get out one morning before work for a run so looks like I will have to do lots this weekend to make up for it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭bananamansgay

only managed to get out one morning before work for a run ......

was thinking of getting a run in before work the odd day, nothing more than 5k.... was wondering; do you run on an empty stomach? if not what do you eat, and how long before you run do you take on food? id be conscience of getting cramps/indigestion......

hi bananamansgay

I only do it every so often when I don't have time in the evening but I have to say it was really nice. Was wide awake and really ready for work afterwards. Only did a quick 5k. Actually did it on an empty stomach as I find if I eat before hand just after waking up I end up with cramps. So as its not a long distance I just had brekkie when I came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I do some slow runs (low HR) without food in the morning as I have (ahem) significant amounts of weight to lose and it suits me to run then.
    If you don't want to lose weight, or you want a hard run, It's probably better to eat before you run.
    High GI carbs wouldn't take too long to digest so something like cornflakes or toast might be good (although they're not very nutritious). experiment and see what works best for you

I never eat anything before a morning run or swim as they are usually at 7am ish (and only an hour long). I'd have to eat at about 5am or ealier. If I was heading out for a long bike though (usually 9/10 am) I have porridge and bring food with me. Eating just before a cycle isn't much of a problem but I can't run or swim on a full tummy. Have shakes on order to take after heavy sessions in the morning. When I was training for the DM I did all of my lsrs on an empty tummy, just had lucozade sport with me. If the session was later than 10 am I'd have eaten brekkie

Hi all. So excited my new bike finally arrived in the shop and I picked it up last night. :DCan't wait to get home and go out for a cycle. Was getting a bit worried as I couldn't get out on the road before and had to do all my cycling in a spin class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭bananamansgay

thanks for the feed back folks..... gonna try it on an empty tummy this thursday morning and see how i get on. might have some pasta or bananas berfore going to bed though.

• Advertisement

hi all. like jlang I'm so proud of myself.feel like I just reached my first big milestone too. I went out on my new bike last night and managed 23k. It took me 1hr 19. The wind along the coast makes some difference to a spin class:D felt like I was going nowhere at times with the wind but it was great.

Want to go out again tonight.feel like the bug is biting:D

Advertisement