Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

krudler wrote: »
    he's in Prometheus as well, the guy with the red mohawk

sean+harris+prom.bmp

Character in Prometheus is awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Killer Joe

some edgy stuff for the cinema in this. Matt McC impressed me in what was a big departure from a lot of his recent rom-com stuff. The girl I was with said she'd never look at him the same again!!! I thought the same about
    chicken drumsticks
    :eek:

Overall not bad...wasn't blown away by anything in particular tho:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sleep Tight : A scary Spanish film that centers around the unhappy concierge of an upscale apartment building.

Can't say much more than that as I think it's best to go into this one cold. If you do, you could find yourself pretty damn entertained and intrigued plot holes aside.

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Dog Day Afternoon.

Excellent film and Pacino delivers a superb performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Five Year Engagement:

It's not bad but not brilliant by any stretch. It's very funny in places but I felt that some of the jokes fell a bit flat at times. The repetitive gag of
    various relatives dying throughout
    was a tad annoying and to be honest, once was enough.

At 2 hours, it feels like overkill and could easily have been shortened by 20-25 minutes.

Decent watch overall but nothing that will blow you away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Lucky Number Slevin: not the kind of film I'd go out of my way to watch, but it was on TV. The basic "twist" wasn't that hard to spot, though I thought it was done in a shady way.
    Directors don't like to show women or kids being killed in movies, so when we don't see young Henry or his mother being killed explicitly, the director used that sensitivity to mask the twist. But telling us that back-story, of the killing of Max and his whole family, serves no purpose at all except as a justification for revenge, so I knew straight away that it was a revenge plot, and that there had to someone left alive to exact the revenge: someone we didn't see being killed, and we don't see anyone around who looks like Henry's mother.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

The Pianist:

Excellent film but hard to watch. I saw it a few nights ago and it has haunted me since. The suffering of the Jews and the barbarity of the Nazis are hard to sit through but everyone should see this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I caught "before the devil knows you're dead" by accident the other night, didn't know anything about it, really interesting movie with some great performances and Marisa Tomei has got to be one of the hottest women ever on screen.

It was also Sidney Lumets last movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Watched Bully last night in Film4.
    Very good story with some creepy characters. Leo Fitzpatrick really gets under my skin though.

I found the constant nudity somewhat gratuitous as well; I think Larry Clark is bit of a pervert.
    Wouldn't recommend it as movie night in with the wife.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cold Fish

Bleak, gleefully perverse black comedy about a timid tropical fish shop owner with domestic troubles who becomes ensnared in the activities of a deranged serial killer. Basically Straw Dogs done Audition-style. The grisly, blood-drenched climax gives even the goriest of horror films a run of their money, but the film never feels mean-spirited thanks to the smart and exuberantly absurd script which claims to be based on a true story. I'm not so sure I believe it, or maybe I just don't want to. If you liked I Saw the Devil, then you'll probably love this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Also watched Max Manus-Man Of War a few days ago.

Directed by Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg it tells the real story of Norwegian resistance fighter, Max Manus.

It's the most expensive Norwegian movie ever made and it shows: excellent set design, super cinematography and a top class cast all combine to give a gripping film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

God Bless America

Pretty poor if I'm being honest. Takes a ridiculously biased and one sided view of pop culture and society in general and try's to supplement it with a unlikely friendship angle

Couldn't care for the characters or the concept

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Love me or leave me - Doris Day drama-musical about a famous singer and her husband James Cagney. Lots of good songs and wide shots. Bad ending though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

just finished 'Happiness' - Jesus! I dunno if I'm sick to say some parts were hilarious and others just very hard to watch...but still compelling.
    It's one I won't be suggesting at movie night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

just finished 'Happiness' - Jesus! I dunno if I'm sick to say some parts were hilarious and others just very hard to watch...but still compelling.
    It's one I won't be suggesting at movie night:D

Some of the humour is pitch black and either you're on board with it or you are not. I can say that performances in that film are superb right across the board though so anyone can at least give it credit for that. It's such a shocking film but not in a cheap way. The sickly desperation of Dylan Baker's character in particular had me giggling and covering my eyes at the same time. That was some blacker than black humour right there. Also, a brilliant but relatively small contribution from Jon Lovitz.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Great as ever and, I can't believe it - but I had somehow forgotten all about this hilarious scene! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Raiders of the lost Ark was advertised for 6.30 pm on BBC 1 for last Saturday, but just as I thought it was about to start , it was replaced by tennis FFS.

I have since sourced a copy and think I will watch it again tonight for the 1st time in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Spiderpig92

watched rainman for the first time and thought it was brilliant, Hoffman's performance was one of the best that i have ever seen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Mutiny on the buses - they certainly don't make these movies anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Great as ever and, I can't believe it - but I had somehow forgotten all about this hilarious scene! :D :pac:

and all because Harrison Ford had food poisoning, was meant to be a long fight between Indy and the swordsman, so just told Spielberg "lets just shoot the fcuker"

Raiders is awesome, this is still one of the best action sequences ever put on film, excuse sh1tty quality

that bit at 5.25 when Indy climbs back into the truck after being under it, beats the sh1t out of the nazi, fires him out the windscreen, rolls over him and tears after Belloq's car, still gives me goosebumps. Love the sound effects in the Indy movies, the punches sound amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    God Bless America

Pretty poor if I'm being honest. Takes a ridiculously biased and one sided view of pop culture and society in general and try's to supplement it with a unlikely friendship angle

Couldn't care for the characters or the concept

Just watched it, enjoyed it I must say, id give it 4/5

krudler wrote: »
    and all because Harrison Ford had food poisoning, was meant to be a long fight between Indy and the swordsman, so just told Spielberg "lets just shoot the fcuker"

Raiders is awesome, this is still one of the best action sequences ever put on film, excuse sh1tty quality

that bit at 5.25 when Indy climbs back into the truck after being under it, beats the sh1t out of the nazi, fires him out the windscreen, rolls over him and tears after Belloq's car, still gives me goosebumps. Love the sound effects in the Indy movies, the punches sound amazing.

Funny, I just read all that on IMDB a couple hours ago after I watched the movie! Very funny... there's some great trivia on the film's imdb page - including some of the simple, unusual methods they used for the sound effects. Great stuff.

The sounds of alot of the body punches, for example, were made by simply smacking a pile of leather jackets with a baseball bat... while the sound of Indy et al opening the stone cover into the tomb that held the Ark was just the sound of the chief sound engineer sliding the lid off the cistern of his toilet! :) Simple, yet so effective...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082971/trivia

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Funny, I just read all that on IMDB a couple hours ago after I watched the movie! Very funny... there's some great trivia on the film's imdb page - including some of the simple, unusual methods they used for the sound effects. Great stuff.

The sounds of alot of the body punches, for example, were made by simply smacking a pile of leather jackets with a baseball bat... while the sound of Indy et al opening the stone cover into the tomb that held the Ark was just the sound of the chief sound engineer sliding the lid off the cistern of his toilet! :) Simple, yet so effective...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082971/trivia

Thats Ben Burtt for you, genius sound designer, the man has created some of the most instantly recognisable sound effects ever, his work on Wall-E is nothing short of amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Rock of Ages - really enjoyed it.

but my god Tom Cruise is a freaky man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Rock of Ages - really enjoyed it.

but my god Tom Cruise is a freaky man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - great to see films like this restored properly in the cinema (although the film looks a wee bit washed out these days). A scathing, surreal and funny parody of the upper class. Or is it? Well, it's many things. Bunuel giddily ****s with the audience and the characters, pre-empting Inception with dreams within dreams within dreams. Some segments are particularly amusing, others are surprisingly weird and creepy - including a series of oddball ghost stories. It's not always easy to grasp the point of each individual segment, but maybe that's actually the point. Taken as a series of interconnected vignettes, it emerges as a random but engaging social satire - of religion, class structure, bourgeoisie hypocrisy, the armed forces, political ineptitude.

A film of ideas then, and while some are easier to engage with than others, it's an enjoyable and distinctive classic of surrealism and wackiness. And, like almost all the best comedies, it's willing to marry big ideas with the chuckles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lockout

Just awful, cringeful script and a whole lot else wrong with the film

Guy Pearce did his best but sure what can a man do

Didn't like this at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

watched this last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1164999/

stunning flick for those who arent seeking a quick fix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! (1966) last night. Loved that movie as a child and still really enjoyed it last night :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Last night I watched "Resistance" (2011) on DVD. The lives of local women and a unit of German soldiers in a Welsh valley after the invasion of Britain in 1944. While the movie had its moments, and the era was well recreated, I felt that the Director didn't know what he was trying to achieve and when the credits rolled it was simply like he had run out of film. I think it would have worked better as a mini-series but if, like me, you are a fan of the 'what if' genre you should give it a whirl. 5/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391116/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement