Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭bear_hunter

desperetly seeking susan

must be twenty years since i saw this , forgot how likeable it is , rossana arquette was a fox back in the day and madonna put in her one decent performance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sherlock Holmes a game of shadows

A lot of bad feedback on the RDJ versions but i actually enjoyed the movie. Theres one scene with Jude Law hiding from a sniper in a tower, I swear they took it stright out of Enemy at the Gates:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Escapist

Prison breakout film, much of it filmed in Kilmainham Jail, lots and lots of Irish actors in it

Twas just ok, watchable but nothing special

Very slick and flashing directing

I love the soundtrack, it's superb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Having had it on my to watch list for many years, I finally by chance was able to watch Metropolis

Time and time again meaning to watch this and while flicking channels this evening I see it is about to start on sky arts. What an absolute masterpiece it is! I must admit when I read at the start of it how some scenes were lost to time I felt apprehensive, but I was happily enraptured in the film and barely noticed the scenes which were described.

Sublime, even if Maria looks like gene wilder :D

metropolis-helm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It had been five years since I've watched any of the Spider-man movies so I thought I would revisit them before I go and see the new reboot.

Spider-man - I loved this when it first came out and it has aged really well. The Green Goblin's mask is still rubbish though.

Spider-man 2 - Bar the Batman franchise no other comic movie comes close to matching Spider-man 2 for quality.

Spider-man 3 - Watching this film in quick succession with the first two really does it no favours. There is almost no redeeming features of this movie. It is such a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

crazygeryy wrote: »
    coma(1978)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077355/

michael douglas is in it.its a good movie.took me a long time to eventually see it but i enjoyed it.worth a watch.
    Really good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

The Amazing Spider-Man

It was OK, very similar to the first two original Spider-Man movies. I thought Andrew Garfield played a funny, believable, Spider-Man. The Lizard's motives reminded me of a lame Octavius though..

6.5/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hansel & Gretel - unusual K-Horror about a stranded motorist who gets stuck in a forest with a load of creepy kids. Particularly notable for its visual design which, unlike most 'horror' films, actually doesn't seem entirely opposed to the concept of primary colours. It also doesn't seem to have the nihilistic streak of the genre - while there's certainly some evil forces afoot, the film actually seems to have some affection for its characters, including the creepy kids.

It's not particularly scary, and the pacing felt a little sluggish to me. But it's an interesting subversion of fairy tale and horror archetypes, and at the very least looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

nicklauski wrote: »
    Dr Horribles Sing Along Blog -

Constantly catching my eye whenever I switch on Netflix so I decided to bite the bullet and watch it.

Joss Whedon (of Firefly/Serenity fame) directs (never seen either of these so probably why it took me so long to watch it) stars Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion.

It's a good little laugh, only about 40 minutes long too and you don't notice it passing by.

6/10 Wont be everyones cup of tea though.
    Don't miss out on the commentary track, which is itself another musical.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Saw Grown Ups yesterday, enjoyable film, worth the watch, but lacks any sort of plot. It's basically five men going to a lake house and having the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Watched Copland last night.

Excellent movie and it's timeless because there are no mobile phones and so on. Brilliant performance from Ray Liotta and Sly Stallone.

Also watched Stolen last week with John Hamm. Really enjoyed the story and the movie had a good pace to it. Recommended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Great locomotive chase - rare Disney film about the American Civil War. Never seen this movie anywhere on DVD but it's quite good and well made. They steal a train and dig up the railway line while the Condederates give chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

OCTOPUSSY

James Bond's all time high? Probably not but a lot
    better than much of the stuff that was still to come.

Looked absolutely fab in HD on 2 last night.

Sunday next sees TOMORROW NEVER DIES in a 6 o'clock
    slot.

One of The Bros' better efforts. If it's the proper uncut version
    then i'll be laughin'!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Amazing Spiderman I actually liked this one. After the gawdawful SM 2/3 this was a pretty fantastic reboot. Nothing too taxing or complex, it's a pretty familiar experience for anyone that's seen the superhero films of the past 4-5 years.
    There's the set-up, Ben dies, Peter is angry, falls in love, New York rallies round him (crane drivers this time, and he saves the day.
    The plot is exactly as you expect it to be from the start but it's done with enough enthusiasm to carry it off and gloss over the more messy pieces such as
    the swinging sequences. Most of them are overplayed and a bit boring to be honest. I did however like the first person Mirror's Edge style sequence. Some (a lot) of the Gwen/Peter dialogue was terrible.
    It was quite possibly Stan Lee's best cameo in a Marvel film.

Overall, I liked it. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ but Spiderman 2 is fantastic, its one of the best comic movies ever along with TDK, X2 and Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Really enjoyed Killer Joe. I see Matthew McConnaughy in a whole new light now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

krudler wrote: »
    ^ but Spiderman 2 is fantastic, its one of the best comic movies ever along with TDK, X2 and Avengers.

Doc Oc was magnificent. Tobey Maguire was just terrible in all of them though, and so miscast. This new guy, Garfield, is excellent. Skinny, nerdy, wise cracking.. y'know, like Spider-man. There is something utterly depressing about Maguires countenance.

X2 was fantastic. "Too much Iron in your blood..."

krudler wrote: »

I could just never warm to Tobey Maguire as Spiderman or Kirsten Dunst as MJ. He coloured all the films negatively for me. It's been a while since I've seen S2 but I recall it as being underwhelming and lacking compared to the first. From your comparison maybe I should revisit it.
    Shryke wrote: »
    Doc Oc was magnificent. Tobey Maguire was just terrible in all of them though, and so miscast. This new guy, Garfield, is excellent. Skinny, nerdy, wise cracking.. y'know, like Spider-man. There is something utterly depressing about Maguires countenance.

Maguire reminded me of all the late 20's actors that are cast as 16 year olds in American high school dramas. They just look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Raimi's efforts didn't do anything for me either. But, I don't rate him as a director anyway.

Maguire was just awful.

Either way, as Spiderman reboot a few years after the last one? Is Hollweird really THAT stuck for ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tony EH wrote: »
    Either way, as Spiderman reboot a few years after the last one? Is Hollweird really THAT stuck for ideas?
    Sony had to make a Spiderman movie or the rights reverted to Marvel.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »

I assumed they were making it to have a decent Spiderman ready to tie into The Avengers 2. I'm guessing that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭splashthecash

fitz0 wrote: »
    I assumed they were making it to have a decent Spiderman ready to tie into The Avengers 2. I'm guessing that's not the case.

Could spiderman be in Avengers 2?? I didn't think he was part of the avengers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

fitz0 wrote: »

if Sony allowed him to be he could, they basicall made the new one so they wouldnt lose the rights, now theyre probably wishing they can tie him in given the box office behemoth of Avengers, although at nearly 350 million worldwide in one week ASM isnt exactly a bomb either.

He is in the more recent stories and I'd really like to see him in the next Avengers film but I don't think it will happen. Maybe in the third.

EDIT: Actually, the Avengers film almost overloaded on superheroes, I'm not sure they could add another one as big as Spiderman without the film falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mikhail wrote: »

Um...a basic money grab so. Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭briany

Timecrimes (2007) :
    A Spanish language film about the bizarre events of one man's day which lead him to stumble upon an experimental time travel device in a secret facility near his house and with it he is caught up in a time loop that he must find his way out of.

Great film. The Spanish must like Hitchcock because they really know how to put an intriguing and involving thriller together. I put the little synopsis under a spoiler blank because it's another one where the less you know going in the better although it doesn't reveal too much.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm watching Firefox: not the web browser, the 1982 Clint Eastwood film. He produced, directed and starred in this adaptation of a Craig Thomas novel about the theft of a hypersonic fighter plane from Soviet Russia.

The main problem with the film is the pacing: it's very long, and seems longer. The first half drags, with lots of Cold War paranoia and philosophising, as Gant (Eastwood) is smuggled from Moscow through Russia to the airbase where the plane is. Once it gets off the ground, so does the film. The special effects are great but dated, and the plane itself is the best thing about the film:

MiG-31_Firefox.jpg

Whenever I see an old-ish film, I expect to find that someone in Hollywood has a remake in "development". In this case, though, all I can find are forums with people saying "someone should remake this" and/or make the sequel Firefox Down. It's only a matter of time, I think ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

I've watched two films recently, the first one was 21 Jump Street- rented it the other night and watched it with my sister. I loved it, she thought something was wrong with me I was laughing so much. Despite liking the kind of films that Channing Tatum is normally in I've never really liked his acting that much, but I thought he was really good in this role, I think he should definitely do more comedic roles.

Last night I went to see The Five Year Engagement- did not like it at all, was expecting a funny film from the adverts and the fact that Jason Segel was in it, despite there being one or two laughs I found it over all quite depressing and schmaltzy at times and I didn't really warm to the couple in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Went on a x-men kick the last couple of days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im on a Lord of the Rings kick!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement