Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Station Agent- on netflix (the Irish one, isnt on the US one for some reason) nice little movie, not much happens but if you like a Lost In Translation style character drama its worth a watch, Peter Dinklage is excellent as always. Have seen it a few times and always enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When Saturday Comes

Sean Bean plays a working class lad dreaming to be a footballer

I liked the way they showed how people with dreams could be held back by others.
    Anyone trying to get out of "go down mine" is put back in their place, sure who are you? You're nothing and you'll never achieve more then the factory floor

Feel good film, nice and uplifting

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Watched Shutter Island and The Machinist last night.

I loved Shutter Island, it was fantastic. A great plot.

I didn't enjoy the Machinist as much, I don't know, it just didn't seem to connect with me or something. Bale didn't do the film any favours imo, he was difficult to make out at times. It was still a good film overall but I thought Shutter Island was far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Mr Brooks (2007) : A Kevin Costner plays a Earl Brooks who has a good home life, a successful business but he has a dark secret in an unquenchable thirst for murder of the random, cold and psychopathic kind. This alter ego is personified in his imagination by a man called Marshall, who only he can see, and seemingly provides him with the smart insights and analytical edge presumably needed to be a successful evasive serial killer.

Thought this was a very good little psychological thriller. It starts off quite slow and there's definitely not as much action in the film as some official synopsis would have you believe but it keeps you involved, doesn't bore us too much with his home life, has a couple of nice subplots that pop up and even a little light comic relief here and there. 7/10

Henry V

There are a few versions, this is the Kenneth Branagh one from the eighties

I know it's not for everyone, I realy liked it

Branagh won a few Oscars for his film but the real star was the Derek Jacobi who does the prologue and introduces new scenes now and again.

Small role but he was a star

Sure maybe secondary school turned you off this for life but give it a shot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Went to Killer Joe this evening. Enjoyed it but what a bunch of thoroughly unlikeable characters. Think trailer parks and Jerry Springer guests only dumber!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

American Reunion was watched last night. It was fairly crap with some semi funny moments as was expected, however it had a funny/non expected effect. Watching the characters grown up and sensible made me feel old! In reality this was part of what the filmmaker wanted, the audience's bond having been there since the start and grown up with them to make it that much more sentimental. I remember watching the first one on VIDEOTAPE, that's right, tape, in a video cassette which went into a video player :o

The only part which made me actually laugh out loud though was during the end credits, wont ruin anything all I will say is popcorn movement :D

Also caught Fortress the other day (No not that futuristic one with Highlander and the exploding stomachs) on sky. It is the story of an "Irish" bomber crew during world war 2. Having not long finished this book I enjoyed this, obviously the writer had read up on airborne crews and their stories as a good bit of it was conveyed in the film. Some ropey cgi used but I enjoyed it on the whole.

Fortress

Realy liked this film
    Good characters and showed how the officers had to lead and win over the respect of the men

Yeah CGI wasn't the best but it was adequate

It's no Memphis Belle but it's worth watching

Not sure why they went down the drunken Irish mick route with the fiddley eye dee die music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"I Went Down" (1998) last night on DVD - currently on special offer at Xtravision. Surreal, dark comedy starring Brendan Gleeson - a kind of criminal road movie which although having its moments fails to hit the spot. Crap stolen cars and bogs feature heavily and the whole thing is carried on the shoulders of Brendan Gleeson. As someone who would watch anything Irish (especially anything with Brendan Gleeson) I still couldn't give it more than 5/10.

I_Went_Down_36946_Medium.jpg

Peter McDonald and Brendan Gleeson in a scene from the movie.

I Went Down is one of the best Irish movies ever imo, Garage is well worth a watch as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Glengarry Glen Ross, what a film. Thoroughly enjoyed it, fantastic performances all round and the dialogue was excellent. Can't recommend it enough.

Glengarry Glen Ross, what a film. Thoroughly enjoyed it, fantastic performances all round and the dialogue was excellent. Can't recommend it enough.

I'd love to know how many times the words "the leads" is used in that movie, it must be in the hundreds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

krudler wrote: »
    I Went Down is one of the best Irish movies ever imo, Garage is well worth a watch as well.

'Garage' is one of the finest Irish films I've ever seen and Pat Short is an absolute revelation in the part of Josie.

But, I have to agree with JD's opinion on 'I Went Down'. It just didn't catch me either, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I saw "Garage' on TV a while back and thought it was superb - on my to get list.

I saw "Garage' on TV a while back and thought it was superb - on my to get list.
    Its on Netflix now as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

coma(1978)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077355/

michael douglas is in it.its a good movie.took me a long time to eventually see it but i enjoyed it.worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

44 Inch Chest

Watched it last night, a very good film. Here's a clip where Ray Winstone explains what love means to him, great scene, highly recommend watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Certified Copy - A film I really liked, and I struggle to articulate why. What I can say for definite: I loved the way it was shot, in sunny hues and close-up and mid shots. I also thoroughly enjoyed the performances from Binoche and first time actor William Shimell (he seemed very natural barring a lack of experience evident in some of the more emotionally intense scenes later on). There was something dreamlike about the whole film as it drifted calmly between philosophical ideas, languages and - eventually - narratives. At the midway point, the two main characters seemingly undergo some sort of metaphysical metamorphosis. It's never satisfactorily explained, but it doesn't need to be.

Director Kiarostami (a director whose work I've been meaning to watch for quite some time now) is content instead to raise questions, propose themes (love, life, art) and playfully question the very nature of storytelling. Do not come looking for answers or closure. This is a film that flirts with ideas, and invites the audience to engage or interpret them however they see fit. It struggles to retain its dreamy momentum at times during the third act, but otherwise its a smart, engaging oddity. Before Sunset with a metaphysical twist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Alec Baldwin's speech is phenomenal. Could watch it over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

MOONRAKER

A bit late showing due to the Sligo Bray game.

Looks fab in HD though. A pity it wasn't shown in it's OAR. :(

Nevertheless one of the most underrated Bonds i think.

A very nice screening from 2.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Raiders of the Lost Ark and 3:10 to Yuma(remake)

Two excellent films. A great way to spend an evening.

MOONRAKER

A bit late showing due to the Sligo Bray game.

Looks fab in HD though. A pity it wasn't shown in it's OAR. :(

Nevertheless one of the most underrated Bonds i think.

A very nice screening from 2.

:)

whaaat Moonraker one of the worst bonds by far

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

krudler wrote: »
    The Station Agent- on netflix (the Irish one, isnt on the US one for some reason) nice little movie, not much happens but if you like a Lost In Translation style character drama its worth a watch, Peter Dinklage is excellent as always. Have seen it a few times and always enjoy it.

Trying to sell people on that film can be tough.

"It's about this dwarf, who's also a train spotter and when the owner of the hobby shop he works at dies, he inherits an old run down train depot/station thing."

People who turn their nose up at that synopsis might think they have successfully avoided an over quirky "indie" film but actually they are missing out on brilliance.

The rise and fall of a white collar hooligan

Follows an unemployed man, fond of football violence but generally a decent guy doing his best to get a job.

His childhood friend hooks up with a scam and the film follows his progress

I liked it, good story and held my interest throughout

Not a memorable film but a good watch

Actually football have very little to do with it, it's more to do with crime
    There are quite a lot of these British crime films out there, this is definitely one of the better ones

That thing you do

Cute, adorable film with an insanely catchy tune

Dammit, it's been in my head for days now! :D

Tom Hanks, a young Steve Zahn and Liv Tyler and a few other young actors, all were excellent

Small town band as they work towards hitting the big time

briany wrote: »
    Trying to sell people on that film can be tough.

"It's about this dwarf, who's also a train spotter and when the owner of the hobby shop he works at dies, he inherits an old run down train depot/station thing."

People who turn their nose up at that synopsis might think they have successfully avoided an over quirky "indie" film but actually they are missing out on brilliance.

its just a nice little movie, I like those not much happens except people interacting films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched Cargo (2009), a swiss made sci-fi film, set in 2247, the earth is uninhabitable and humanity is living on orbiting colony stations, with the hope that some can save enough money to get to a new world Rhea,

great little film surprised i didnt come across it sooner,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Dr Horribles Sing Along Blog -

Constantly catching my eye whenever I switch on Netflix so I decided to bite the bullet and watch it.

Joss Whedon (of Firefly/Serenity fame) directs (never seen either of these so probably why it took me so long to watch it) stars Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion.

It's a good little laugh, only about 40 minutes long too and you don't notice it passing by.

6/10 Wont be everyones cup of tea though.

American Reunion

Was alright, with some laughs. Majoarity of them from Stiffler as usual.
    Chris Klein as Oz comes back and is as annoyin as ever.

5/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Donkey skin - colourful French musical fairy tale from the 1970s. Surprised it's not better known - a minor classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
    Worth watching these a few times before The Dark Knight Rises comes out. Fantastic movies.

Also watched God Bless America over the weekend. Pretty decent movie. Joel Murray was very good in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement