Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Waist Deep

About an ex-con who is trying hard to turn his life around and he is devoted to his son

His son is kidnapped and he must get him back
    Hooks up with a scam artist who works for a gang
    The two are clever and come up with a scheme

It's violent, good characters and held my interest throughout. I like Tyrese Gibson, he was the main actor

Ending was
    a bit too convenient, it would have been better if he drowned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just back from ICE AGE 4

I was surprised by how good ICE AGE 3 was compared to the first two (and is easily the best of the series) but it seems to have been a one off cause 4 is such a leap back in standards. The main flaw being that the separate stories for each of the mains do not really tie together as strong as they'd wanted and it feels very disjointed and muddled. Nod goes out to peter dinklage (Tyrion Lannister in game of thrones) for doing the most with such a two dimensional character and scorn and ridicule to Jennifer lopez who took a two dimensional love interest and made her even duller.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

21 Jump Street : Two young immature cops are sent back back to high school to break up a synthetic drug ring operating within the school. Comedic hi jinks ensue as they try to mix with the student body in order to establish their cover as well coming to terms with how high school has changed since their time there.

Thought this was a pretty funny comedy. Jonah Hill films are usually very hit or miss but I think this one was fairly on the money. I think his career peaked very early with Superbad. I don't think he'll make a better comedy than that. Hopefully he can transition into more serious films at some stage.
    Basq wrote: »
    Watched Goon on Netflix (US) - not nearly as funny or heartwarming as it thought it was!

Yeah Goon's just another film that got saddled with a misleading trailer. It's actually a fairly bleak film, a tragi-comedy. Still good though, opened my eyes to the violent realities of ice hockey. Well, moreso, I didn't know that there was so much emphasis placed on violence that teams have an unofficial policy of hiring a few players based on their abilities in a fist fight. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The slutty girl ruined Goon for me, she was really annoying and the romance felt too forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

PandyAndy wrote: »
    When the Last Sword is Drawn.

Set in the Shogun era of Japan a low ranked Samurai leaves his clan so he can support his family by joining the Shinsengumi, a group of highly paid Samurai in service to the Shogun. Shortly after the Emperor tries to regain control and the group of Samurai has to decide where their loyalties lie.

Completely blown away by this movie. Only watched it because it came up in the recommendations list in Netflix :)

10/10.
    Yes, one of my favourite films, definitely my fav samurai movie!
    That scene on the bridge in the snow, gets me every time... :'(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

watching a series on rte - walking dead,its very well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Rented John Carter (from Mars) and really enjoyed it. I regret not seeing this in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Just watched my newly delivered extended BR copy of Fellowship of the Ring:D

Haven't seen it in ages and loved watching it again. There's nothing more to be said about this film....can't wait to watch the second one now.

The only downside was the feeling my sound system wasn't up to the job of giving me the full effect!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Last night my partner put on Ghost Rider starring Nicholas Cage and Eva Mendes. Usually when he picks out a movie with an outlandish storyline I hate it but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

God Bless America : A man gets fed up with popular culture and society in general that he sees as increasingly and intolerably cruel, self serving, self absorbed, inconsiderate, ignorant and shallow. His jadedness with this coupled with some personal and professional issues sends him over the edge and he goes out to eliminate the people he feels embody all that he hates. His actions soon gain the attention of a hyperactive psychotic teen girl who tags along for a bit of an adventure (and killing spree).

There's debate over whether this film is lefty in terms of it's politics and it probably is but I agreed with it's general message which was put across well. If you have ever been cut off mid conversation with someone so they could answer a text or been perplexed by the excitement that surrounds, well, any TV karaoke contest then you might just find yourself firing every bullet with the characters in this film.

8.5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Just watched my newly delivered extended BR copy of Fellowship of the Ring:D

Haven't seen it in ages and loved watching it again. There's nothing more to be said about this film....can't wait to watch the second one now.

I had a R1 extended edition , but since I dont have a multi regional DVD player I could only watch it on the laptop, so I treated my self to a new R2 one. It was only €11, I wasnt going to leave it there! LOL
    so looking forward to getting a night where I can sit down and watch all 3 LOTR back to back.
    I love all the extras too though :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lockout.
    Guy pearce is in it.i like him,i think hes a good actor but this movie is not great at all.and as it happens guy try s way to hard to be funny in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rose

Set on a farm in an area right on the Polish/German border after WWII

Borders are being set and people are being deported
    And if you were deemed a collaborator then god help you!

Follows an ex Polish resistance fighter, his friend died and he shacks up and moves in with his wife, helps rebuild the farm

The Russians and Polish irregulars got up to all sorts of nastiness, the Germans had treated them well and the new Polish army was doing its best to build up the country

Nasty, brutal and fairly disturbing film
    Not sure why I watched it :(

Any idea of the year on this movie?i put rose into imdb and about 20 of them come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish Version).

Overall, a very good adaptation of a fantastic novel. Noomi Rapace makes a good Salander.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2.

Both were decent but I preferred the first part.

I found the second half quite underwhelming although Ralph Fiennes is superb. I just didn't get a sense of the immense scale of the battle .

Plus I despised the epilogue in the book and I had hoped they would ignore it in the film. Sadly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Saw "Chernobyl Dairies" earlier on today.
    Oren Peli ("Paranormal Activity") wrote the script.Thoroughly enjoyed 80% of the movie some really cool and scary scenes to boot.Having said that the end was quite bad and the monsters were a tiny bit of a let down.
    It turns out that the monsters were escapees of a Ukrainian military run experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just finished watching Brothers on TV3, missed the very beginning, but wow, powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Top Gun

Hmmmm, it wasn't as good as I remember through my 11 year old eyes
    I was obsessed with the film when I was young

Not anymore

Was an ok watch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gion Bayashi - Another gem from one the greatest directors of them all, Mizoguchi Kenji. A portrait of Kyoto's Gion geisha district in the mid 1950s, through the perspective of a young trainee and her thirty-something guardian. Cynical themes yet affectionate towards its protagonists, it's short but extremely sweet, even if it lacks the epic scope of Ugetsu or O-Haru. Mizoguchi is one of my favourite technical directors of all time, and there's no change here. Always the subtle one, but the camera movements, angles and compositions are beautifully considered from the outset, while the performances are top-notch in that melodramatic Japanese way.

A stunning Blu-Ray transfer too. It's clearly a damaged master, with the opening titles and cuts noticeably scratchy. But otherwise it's a fantastic restoration, and Mizoguchi's images are delivered with the clarity they deserve.

Also rewatched Makoto Shinkai's short debut Voices of a Distant Star in prep for seeing the man himself tomorrow. Unfortunately, the subtitles broke on my DVD player halfway through for some bizarre reason :/ Still, a moving little piece with a killer finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lockout (2012)

I really enjoyed this. Maybe its just my type of movie. Maybe it reminded me of playing The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena But its a cool movie.

Stars Guy Pierce and Liam Neilson's Daughter from Taken (:P)
    Story is about the Presidents daughter has to be rescued from an orbiting space station prision.

If you are bored and got 91 minutes to spare. Give it a watch.
    I get a vibe that Escape from New York/LA are inspirations for this movie. So thats a plus if you are undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Warrior.

Good film with some excellent performances and a decent soundtrack. The fighting itself was a bit meh but the back story is strong.

P.S. Tom Hardy is an absolute animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I'm probably going to get slated for this, but over the weekend I watched Alien & Aliens for the first time ever.

Got the Blu Ray boxset at Christmas and decided to fire it up.

Really enjoyed both, but I think Aliens blows the first out of the water. Great story and action.

"Game over man, Game Over!"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cherry on US Netflix.

A great leading cast of primarily TV actors (Kyle Gallner, Laura Allen and Britt Robertson) and it's not a bad movie... not hugely funny or original, but definitely worth a watch!

And like I said - the three leads are all excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nicklauski wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get slated for this, but over the weekend I watched Alien & Aliens for the first time ever.

Got the Blu Ray boxset at Christmas and decided to fire it up.

Really enjoyed both, but I think Aliens blows the first out of the water. Great story and action.

"Game over man, Game Over!"

I love them both but they're very different movies, Alien I tend to have to be in the mood to watch as its slower paced (not a criticism) whereas Aliens once the sh1t hits the fan its balls out action until the end. It sucks to think we may never see another non-Avatar James Cameron action movie, hes made some films that still tower above most modern action films, both Terminator movie, Aliens, True Lies (stupid but fun) and the Abyss, while the alien stuff at the end is fairly wishy washy the buildup is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

krudler wrote: »
    I love them both but they're very different movies, Alien I tend to have to be in the mood to watch as its slower paced (not a criticism) whereas Aliens once the sh1t hits the fan its balls out action until the end. It sucks to think we may never see another non-Avatar James Cameron action movie, hes made some films that still tower above most modern action films, both Terminator movie, Aliens, True Lies (stupid but fun) and the Abyss, while the alien stuff at the end is fairly wishy washy the buildup is excellent.

I can get where you're coming from with that alright. A lot more about the suspense of seeing the Alien/where is it. I have to say
    when it came out of the panel at the end in the escape pod, it gave me a little fright the bastárdin thing :)

Aliens is great, the story, the build up, then the action.
    Also loved Ripleys deliverance of

Get away from her you BITCH!

You knew then it was on :)

nicklauski wrote: »
    I can get where you're coming from with that alright. A lot more about the suspense of seeing the Alien/where is it. I have to say
    when it came out of the panel at the end in the escape pod, it gave me a little fright the bastárdin thing :)

Aliens is great, the story, the build up, then the action.
    Also loved Ripleys deliverance of

Get away from her you BITCH!

You knew then it was on :)

still makes me grin whenever i watch it, on the commentary track Gale Ann Hurd the producer is talking about the first screening she saw with the public and how that line brought the house down. must have been a great experience seeing that with an audience on a big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Indie Game: The Movie
    A documentary that follows the journeys of indie game developers as they create games and release those works, and themselves, to the world.

The film is mostly set on the people involved and their emotions rather than the games. The directors makes you feel the stress and anxiety of the indie developers as the narrative gets closer to the release dates. It's a fascinating insight to see them work for little or no money, you really feel what they are going through, sadness or happiness. I remember back when it was shown at Sundance this year, HBO bought the rights for a tv show which was nice for the filmmakers, a project that was partly funded by two kickstarter appeals.

Anyways, check it out if you can. A wonderful documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Watched Harry Brown(2009) last night. Very good film, bleak and dark throughout but still enjoyable.
    What about the drug dealer that Harry went to buy a gun from! Stole the whole scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Saw Red Lights last night. An average movie IMO. Without spoiling it, the twist was unearned IMO. It seemed like the movie was telling one story and in order to get a twist ending, just included the end of a different movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

lockout with guy pearce,, quite good i think joseph gilgun was very good in it

• Advertisement

Schism wrote: »
    Watched Harry Brown(2009) last night. Very good film, bleak and dark throughout but still enjoyable.
    What about the drug dealer that Harry went to buy a gun from! Stole the whole scene.

he's in Prometheus as well, the guy with the red mohawk

sean+harris+prom.bmp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement