Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

krudler wrote: »
    I would have enjoyed it way more except for how bland it looks, blue and orange all the way through, the go to color scheme for movies these days.

mods start a poll.who goes to the movies for the colour scheme in the movie itself.deal breaker for me "insert sarcsm here".
    each to their own i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Ummm, it's a pretty important factor. If a film has an ugly look to it it'd obviously be more difficult to enjoy.

e_e wrote: »
    Ummm, it's a pretty important factor. If a film has an ugly look to it it'd obviously be more difficult to enjoy.

Ok maybe I'm being a dick.can you give me an example?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd wager I'd enjoy Zack Snyder films more if they didn't look like Zack Snyder films.

I'd wager I'd enjoy Zack Snyder films more if they didn't look like Zack Snyder films.

Lol but thats nothing to do with colour or being bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Lol but thats nothing to do with colour or being bland.

it is if he's talking about the style of colouring that zack snyder uses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

finally got around to watching tae guk gi. bit i dunno... cheesy in places especially the start but a ****ing fantastic movie. I was close to tears at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mods start a poll.who goes to the movies for the colour scheme in the movie itself.deal breaker for me "insert sarcsm here".
    each to their own i suppose.

uh-huh

Transformers

trans_two5.jpg

Daybreakers

dayb5.jpg

Hot Tub Time Machine

hot_tub4.jpg

Source Code

tumblr_lcguycAtC21qe3ylxo1_500.png

The Change Up
    the_change-up_a_p.jpg

Fright Night

frightnight2.jpg

Tron Legacy

Screen-shot-2010-03-08-at-11.59.25-PM-550x336.png

Twilight
    twilight82.jpg

John Carter
    article_post_width_john_carter_1.jpg

seriously Hollywood, stop it. there are more colours than orange and teal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Miracle at St. Anna - absolute crap, Roger Erbert must have been smoking crack when he described the battle scenes as on par with Saving Private Ryan. Mediocre acting, horrible editing, incredibly boring for the most part, cheap looking, with extremely poorly directed battle scenes....how this cost 45,000,000 to make is beyond me, I've seen far better from direct to TV/DVD war movies in all considerable aspects. A dreadful mess of a movie with about 10 minutes of worthy screen time in a movie about 160 minutes long. Hilariously, in a movie about the racial issues facing black soldiers, every non-black person is portrayed as a one dimensional bigoted stereotype - there's only one stand out scene in the entire movie and it's a flashback within another scene relating to racial issues at home. This movie is just so bad it beggars belief considering the actual scale of the production. Worst movie I've seen in a very long time....it has major problems in every aspect imaginable. Whoever composed the soundtrack should never be allowed work in motion pictures again - it was so astounding bad and ill fitting that I desperately wished there was an option to turn it out, atrocious and ill fitting to the point of making me want to switch it off altogether. I don't have an opinion on Spike Lee for the most part, but after this turkey it's clear war movies are something he simply cannot do. I honestly cannot write enough as to how utterly bad this movie is....and I had such high hopes for it.

Assembly - Great Chinese war movie I only got around to watching today despite having it for a very long time. Incidentally, this one does genuinely have a great Saving Private Ryan quality to its battle scenes and it's very competently directed. Did a good job of rinsing the bad taste of Miracle at St Anna out of my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭briany

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Donnie Darko - Very interesting film, kind of scared me at parts, i wasnt expecting the rabbit, the clown that jumps out of the car at one point also scared the fúck out of me. Strange because films dont usually scare me, I was just really into this one, must be why i kept getting frights.

Overall i really liked it.

Sometimes films that don't bill themselves as scary have an advantage if they do have a scare factor included anyway. Donnie Darko is many things as a film. It's a mystery, thriller, satirical comedy, sci-fi and drama. In amongst those elements is also some creepy shít where you don't really know when it's coming or why it's coming. It's a film that really keeps you guessing.

Jake Gyllenhal is a pretty underrated actor in my opinion as well and has been in several great movies (and a few shíte ones to be fair) over the last decade and a bit that didn't quite do stellar business despite their quality including DD, Bubbleboy (yes, Bubbleboy), Jarhead, The Good Girl and Zodiac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

seriously Hollywood, stop it. there are more colours than orange and teal!

I don't wanna live in a world without teal!!! :eek:

Though orange compliments teal and that's what these Hollywood big shots get paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ok maybe I'm being a dick.can you give me an example?

I'll give you one. 'J. Edgar'. Apart from it's rather turgid plotting and absolutely awful casting of DeCaprio in the lead, it's been post-produced in gloomy shades of brown that looks terrible. Really hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'll give you one. 'J. Edgar'. Apart from it's rather turgid plotting and absolutely awful casting of DeCaprio in the lead, it's been post-produced in gloomy shades of brown that looks terrible. Really hard to watch.

Post production can make a movie look great, but a lot of times yeah it dulls the picture and makes it look worse than it does in teaser trailers. I'm not sure if it was Spiderman 1 or 2 thats looks really vibrant in the trailer then the actual movie looks way duller post colour grading, I dont get it. when its used right it works well, David Fincher is good at colour grading movies properly, Se7en being a great example.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ice Age 1&2: These had been knocking about on my hard drive for quite some time and since the new one is soon to be released I decided to give them a go when I was sick last week.

Not bad films and I did genuinely laugh out loud on more than one occasion during the first one. The second felt a bit flat compared to the first one and was a bit disappointed by it but was still a decent enough watch.

Red Lights: Mmmm. Not really sure what to make of this really. Thought it started out quite well but really fell apart in the final third. I quite like Cillian Murphy and rather enjoyed him in this but I felt that DeNiro was dreadfully mis cast.

It felt like I was watching a far weaker version of 'The Illusionist'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally got to see Up In The Air last night: George Clooney as a man who spends his life on planes and in hotels, travelling around the USA firing people. I must admit that the "twist"
    Alex had been deceiving him all along
    and the ambiguous ending caught me by surprise. (Could there be a sequel?)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Post production can make a movie look great, but a lot of times yeah it dulls the picture and makes it look worse than it does in teaser trailers. I'm not sure if it was Spiderman 1 or 2 thats looks really vibrant in the trailer then the actual movie looks way duller post colour grading, I dont get it. when its used right it works well, David Fincher is good at colour grading movies properly, Se7en being a great example.

Sometimes it can, but there seems to be s trend in recent years to use gloomy colour palettes in post-processing. Often times, I think it's to obscure bad effects, or makeup.

I hated the entire look of Raimi's Spiderman trilogy. But, I'm not a fan of his is any case. 'A Simple Plan'...that's it really. I think his films are pretty dreadful, by and large.

The gloomy look of 'Seven' suited the feel of the film and it was "newish" in 1995, as was his over-contrast look for the end sequence. But, everyone's at it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I'm currently an hour into haywire. I really hope the last half hour improve on the muck that was the first 60mins. I've spent most of my time trying to guess their locations in the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

90mins i'l never get back:(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Dear Zachary

Think I heard about it here. Very moving and disturbing story. Well worth a watch, just sad that it's true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Is watching Red lights in the cinema a waste of time? All the reviews on here say it's rubbish but IMDB gave it 6.6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

that is rubbish by imdb standards

Long train home.
    Look it up for what it's about
    its incredible how good we have it here compared to the people in this movie.a very good albeit depressing docu/movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Sling Blade - I was made aware of this movie right here on Boards. I enjoyed it, thought Billy Bob played the role of Karl very well. It must be a real test for an actor to play a character with such 'traits'. Fairly predictable but I felt the ending was the proper ending for the masses.
    I never realised Billy Bob directed it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Watched Paul last night

Didn't realise it until then, but it's the perfect stoner movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm currently an hour into haywire. I really hope the last half hour improve on the muck that was the first 60mins. I've spent most of my time trying to guess their locations in the city centre!

Far too meandering a movie, they spent far too long on quite frankly unexciting chase sequences that dragged on, and on, at the expense of a credible conspiracy plot-line. At one point during the Dublin chase I actually considered turning it off. Did get a chuckle out of me though when she was beating up the ERU :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Walker - Alex Cox's politically colourful and playfully eccentric historical biopic. Despised by a considerable majority of critics on release (a zero star review from Roger Ebert), it actually kind of deserves the cult following it has since amassed. Retelling the story of William Walker - an American sent to 'civilize' Nicaragua in the mid 1800s. The film is actually a bizarre political satire, full of dark comedy and ludicrous characters. Most famously, the film becomes less and less historically accurate as it goes on, with characters driving cars, drinking Coke and reading Newsweek. Cox's point is to emphasise how similar current American foreign policy is with past examples, and how some people are driven by a lust for greatness, and will happily abandon their morals to do so.

It's pretty much a one-note setup, and the pace and tone can be unwieldy. But it's often very funny, too, and the whole film oozes directorial passion and anger. Ed Harris has a blast in the main role, as the straight-faced moralist whose stubbornness leads to political turmoil and increasing body counts. It's a messy film, but admirably so. It's not surprising no-one has allowed Alex Cox to work in Hollywood again - rarely has so much money been spent on such a decidedly politically incorrect slice of wicked satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter in 3D last night very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I watched Death Becomes Her last night, I have a pretty big soft spot for Zemeckis's films. The effects have aged a bit but still look fairly well a very nice use of actual prosthetics with a taste of CGI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Stone - I rented it based on the fact that Deniro and Ed Norton are in it and i didnt like it whatsoever.

• Advertisement

'Up in the Air'

I watched this based on a post here by Bnt. I'd been meaning to watch it for some time and was reminded by that post.

Anyway, it starts off with a promising idea, Ryan Bingham (George Clooney) is a "professional downsizer" for Career Transitions Corporation, who travels around the US firing people from various companies, because the bosses in those companies are "pussies", who cannot do it themselves. Bingham's life is empty, he's alone (but not lonely), lives in an apartment that looks like a doctors waiting room and has no real ties to his family, or home.

His life is "up in the air", among the clouds; it's where he's most happy and it's where his goal of achieving 10,000,000 frequent flyer miles lies.

It's on one of these frequent flights that he meets up with fellow frequent flyer, Alex (Vira Farmiga) and after sharing a few drinks and comparing their plastic, they initiate an affair, agreeing to meet each other at a later date.

Meanwhile, Bingham is called back to his head office and meets Natalie (Anna Kendrick) who has been hired by Bingham's boss to revolutionise the company and how it's reps fire people. Natalie's proposal is that people get fired by video, rather than personally, thus saving the company money in travel expenses. Bingham is annoyed by this and disagrees with his boss, who then makes him take Natalie on the road, to show her the ropes.

Along the way, various things happen to the main characters that make Natalie and Ryan question their lives up to this point.

'Up in the Air' begins with an intriguing opening, but unfortunately trundles off down a rather well trodden path of Hollywoodised "self discovery" and "learning". It becomes somewhat tiresome and it's near 2 hours outstays its welcome for the most part, which is a pity, because there seems to be a better story within its idea.

It's telling that the scenes of people getting fired are the most interesting and engaging parts of the film. Elsewhere, there is never a sense that what's going is part of that central hook and I was hoping that the film would explore that to a much greater degree, but it broke off into more uninteresting and sort of fake territory.

It's been very well received by the critics, but I'm sort of lost as to why. There's been tons of "discovery" comedy dramas like this that haven't fared so well, like 'Everybody's Fine', for instance. They're all pretty "samey".

I think that success of 'Up in the Air' lies mainly in the very good performances of Clooney, Farmiga and to a lesser extent (but only by role) Kendrick. They all attack their parts with the required skill and are interesting to watch. It's also well directed by Jason Reitman (son of the guy who made 'Ghostbusters'), but remains kind of insipid and a little uninspired.

It's just a shame that the story doesn't amount to much more than a bit of Hollywood cheese. One that's gone mouldy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement