Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Red Lights, one of the worst movies I have ever seen in the cinema.
    I should have known better than to go to anything with De Nero in it.

I watched this also last night expected better given the director and cast involved, Murphy wasnt great as the lead and Olsen's character served no propose
    De Niro's character being able to see was obvious from the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

That_Guy wrote: »
    Cosmopolis: What an absolute stinker of a film. Hated every minute of it. The screening had about 25 people at the start. I'd say at least 14 people walked out after 40 minutes.

Somebody told me that "I wasn't intelligent enough to understand a film like that".... Funnily enough they never did explain to me what the hell was going on themselves. :rolleyes:

Avoid avoid avoid.
    On the contrary, I absolutely loved it.

Nothing to do with intelligence, but I loved the cinematography, pace and style of dialog. The characters are more abstract concepts than actual people, so the fact that it wasn't going for realism with the dialog didn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭durano

This had me stuck to my seat for its duration,don't read any reviews or anything on it,just watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

durano wrote: »
    This had me stuck to my seat for its duration,don't read any reviews or anything on it,just watch it.

Sorry but what did?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just watched All the President's Men. Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Sorry but what did?

The subject on that post was "Snow on the Bluff", on which you can find more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

Elephant (2004) : Gus Van Sant's film take on the Columbine tragedy which follows several disparate students as they plod their way through a day of high school life being clique-ish, bitchy, lonely, alienated, popular, slacking off, dealing with personal issues etc. etc. in the lead up to a massacre.

Good build up in the film I thought but there's not much of a pay off to it, although not that there necessarily needs to be as it's more of a look at the trials of being that age. 6/10

Catfish (2010) : Documentary. A photographer befriends a young girl on Facebook who mailed him paintings she made of his published photographs and soon he befriends the entire family and this doc is about where that all leads.

Thought this was an excellent documentary but was unsure in the first half hour 'til things took an interesting turn, then it was a total rollercoaster. Very scary, very funny and very sad at different times and even all at once. Highly recommended. 8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Snow on tha bluff: I honestly don't know what i think about this one. I think it's in a paranormal activity style of filming, but it comes across way more convincing than paranormal did so it could be documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Unbelievably, I had never seen any of thee Bourne trilogy until yesterday... watched the first one yesterday and found it thoroughly enjoyable - looking forward now to the other two!

I envy you so much, Bourne trilogy is outstanding, I wish I could enjoy them for the first time all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

I watched Event Horizon after reading a thread about scary films. Was expecting to be jumping out of my seat but although being a bit gory in places wasn't scary at all.

Red Lights: Was expecting much more out of it. I thought it was a bit "all over the place" at times and although the cast were good, the storyline didn't live up to expectations.

Also caught up again with Before Sunrise/Before Sunset - great films, can't wait for the 3rd one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Dave147 wrote: »
    I envy you so much, Bourne trilogy is outstanding, I wish I could enjoy them for the first time all over again.

Read the books! :) Just finished the second in the series and they are much better than the films, if you are a reader check them out they are very different to the films too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

safe house very good
    safe full of action the usual jason stathom film
    super didnt expect much but i quite enjoyed it
    as you can see im on films begining with s on the hard drive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

God Bless America.

Wow. Trailer got me excited, purely because it looked like a film that was giving two fingers to the sort of television and society we have to put up with today. Then it got very dark, while still being funny. Quite pleased with it in the end, but it did feel a bit disjointed.

Watched Raiders of the Lost Arc there. They really bring the whole supernatural thing out of the blue. They never mention anything about it at all, and then...WHAM! face melting begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched Raiders of the Lost Arc there. They really bring the whole supernatural thing out of the blue. They never mention anything about it at all, and then...WHAM! face melting begins.

eh? they talk about the Arks power throughout the movie, sure why do you think Hitler wants it? they lay it all out in the scene where Indy and Marcus meet with the two government agents. "the bible speaks of the ark levelling mountains and laying waste to entire regions, an army which carries the ark before it...is invincible" then theres the scene with the hole being burnt in the crate its in and the rats being driven mad by it.

krudler wrote: »
    eh? they talk about the Arks power throughout the movie, sure why do you think Hitler wants it? they lay it all out in the scene where Indy and Marcus meet with the two government agents. "the bible speaks of the ark levelling mountains and laying waste to entire regions, an army which carries the ark before it...is invincible" then theres the scene with the hole being burnt in the crate its in and the rats being driven mad by it.
    :o oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

briany wrote: »

Catfish (2010) : Documentary. A photographer befriends a young girl on Facebook who mailed him paintings she made of his published photographs and soon he befriends the entire family and this doc is about where that all leads.

Thought this was an excellent documentary but was unsure in the first half hour 'til things took an interesting turn, then it was a total rollercoaster. Very scary, very funny and very sad at different times and even all at once. Highly recommended. 8.5/10

Loved catfish, first half is a little long but when it gets going it's completely gripping stuff!

Watched Man On Wire, a documentary about a tight rope walker that performs his high-wire routine across the WTCs. I loved it, it's set up like some sort of heist documentary movie. Some excellent interviews with the ensemble that helped him complete the task too. Great stuff altogether.

Going to check out Waltz with Bashir next

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just back from Red Lights, honestly haven't seen a film that bad in the cinema in over a decade. It was mind bogglingly awful and almost everyone in in the screen was laughing at the not-all supposed to be funny ending.

Just back from Red Lights, honestly haven't seen a film that bad in the cinema in over a decade. It was mind bogglingly awful and almost everyone in in the screen was laughing at the not-all supposed to be funny ending.

how does it end? spoiler tag obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Hana-bi. Beautiful film despite the eruptions of violence that punctuate it. Basic plot is that a retired cop does his best to please his terminally-ill wife despite money woes and pressure from the Yakuza. The only other Takeshi Kitano film I've watched is A Scene at the Sea but I've noticed a definite sadness in his films, not overwhelmingly so, but so personal and offset by violence and snippets of comedy that it's really hard not to be swept up by it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hana-bi. Beautiful film despite the eruptions of violence that punctuate it. Basic plot is that a retired cop does his best to please his terminally-ill wife despite money woes and pressure from the Yakuza. The only other Takeshi Kitano film I've watched is A Scene at the Sea but I've noticed a definite sadness in his films, not overwhelmingly so, but so personal and offset by violence and snippets of comedy that it's really hard not to be swept up by it.

You should check out Kikujiro, which if I was to pick only three Kitano films I'd choose alongside Hana-Bi and Scene at the Sea. Very different tonally, but a comedy drama with that same hint of sadness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Last night "Shake Hands with the Devil" (1959) - available on DVD - at last! A cracking film about "the Tan War" with a star studded cast including James Cagney (his last movie), Cyril Cusack, Don Murray, Noel Purcell, Dana Wynter, John Le Mesurier and Michael Redgrave. Filmed on location in Dublin and Wicklow. As the Treaty draws near loyalties are stretched....10/10

Shake%2Bhands%2Bwith%2Bthe%2BDevil.PNG

:o oops.

Don't worry about it, Krudler is very protective about Raiders. In fact you can't use "Raiders, Ark, Lost, Of and The" in any form of negative sentence for example, "I lost my ark because of the bástard oakland raiders" for it will result in him shooting you....

Due to something about Harrison Ford and a whip I think, I wasn't really paying attention :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

One of the greatest and most underrated films I've ever seen. Sonatine is also incredible.

GAAman wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, Krudler is very protective about Raiders. In fact you can't use "Raiders, Ark, Lost, Of and The" in any form of negative sentence for example, "I lost my ark because of the bástard oakland raiders" for it will result in him shooting you....

Due to something about Harrison Ford and a whip I think, I wasn't really paying attention :P

I went as Indy to two halloween parties, true story

What krudler see's
    I went as Indy to two halloween parties, true story

What everyone else knows
    I went as Indy to two fetish parties, true story

:pac:

Those exist?! why didnt anyone tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Man on a ledge

Enjoyed this even though it was high on cheese, predictable, lacking in plausibility, full of stock characters and struggling to create any tension.

And it wasn't just Billy Elliot's missus that got me through either....although she was smokin:cool:.

A decent throw away flick with lots a gratuitous cleavage shots!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Safe House. Enjoyable action movie with a good performance from Denzel Washington and an excellent performance from Ryan Reynolds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

borrowed Sophies Choice off a friend. going to watch it 2moro night though. I think perhaps its a film best watched sober :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement