Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clooney - `Up In The Air`

Options
  • 03-01-2010 7:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Jason Reitman, son of Ivan (Ghostbusters) i presume?....he's starting to get a very good directing rep.

This movie is getting alot of Oscar nods, 6 Golden Globe noms.....solid movie, i liked it alot. Clooney does his usual charm but his acting is effective. His job would have him on the bottom feeder list, but his character is very likable.

Yer wan from Twilight was good as well, it's a well directed and constructed movie, the story itself has some interesting elements, as in how his job works....i checked, yeah people hired to fire do exist.

Special props and mention to the BODY DOUBLE, what an arse! :eek:
    I swear if Clooney didn't tap that ass i'll lose faith in him :mad:
    It's a good flick, acting, directing a script all solid....high IMDB rating, check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gonna watch it this evening.. but most reviews from non-critics I've read have called it quite average and undeserving of a 'Best Picture' nod.

Will give my 2c later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Freeze frame that bum Basquille!!!

Oh and Rose (Melanie Lynskey) from 2.5 Men stars...and Jason Bateman, and yer man from the Spiderman movies....the newspaper editor dude, get out Parker yer fired dude.

Is it a body double for Vera Farmiga? Couldn't possibly get any worse. People should stop saying she's "natural attractive" - christ.. next they'll be saying the same thing for Sarah Jessica Parker?

Vera Farmiga is a plain-looking Jane.. is she balls a sex-symbol!

15minutespre.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Looking forward to this. Loved the few clips I've seen.

• Advertisement

That's a terrible pic of Vera Basq!....she had a body double, but she still went ahead and filmed the nude scene, she only had a baby two weeks before shooting.....it's some (body double) arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

vera-farmiga-0607-lg.jpg

Mayer_7084887_Max.jpg

Yeah,shes hideous alright

krudler wrote: »
    Yeah,shes hideous alright
    I never said she was hideous.. I said she was plain-looking (which I stand by).

But hey.. different strokes for different folks!

I would :D I like redheads though (redheads, not gingers)

She looked great in The Departed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

She looked great in The Departed.

she was the best thing in it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Film looks worth watching, and I'm sure Clooneys involvment will bag it the oscar.
    Oscars are aload of boys club rubbish anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

it looks good from the trailer and its getting huge award buxz and nominations already

Thought it was fantastic. Cracking film.

It's good....all the actors were good, the end was not a typical "happy house" ending....more realistic.

If you ONLY see this movie for one thing......IT'S THAT BUM!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Watched this last night and really really enjoyed it. Its very good indeed, and while the body double bum is lovely, there are plenty of other reasons to watch it!

^haha!...no the story was engaging as was Clooney, his best performance since Solaris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

the story goes nowhere,dont believe the hype.

It does, while they don't delve into the ramifications of his job in as much depth as i'd like...it's still an interesting subject, and very relevant for alot of people, getting fired. He slows see's that his sidekick is right....that life is about having family and children.

While i personally don't think Clooeny's character was wrong to want no connections, for the character
    he discovers he does want more. But in the end reverts back to his old ways.

horse7 wrote: »
    the story goes nowhere,dont believe the hype.
    pfffft, why do you need the story to go anywhere anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Slapped a spoiler on a post,
    Please, no spoilers.

Saw this tonight and loved it!

Loved the cast (Clooney as always was outstanding, and Kendrick's performance was pitch-perfect) and thought the whole film played out very well. And while I'm holding my Oscar predictions til I see some more Oscar nominees ('The Road', I'm looking at you!), this definitely will get a few nods. Wouldn't be suprised to see Clooney pick up an Oscar for it to be honest, but like I said.. I'll wait til I see more nominees.

Reitman's last 3 films ('Up In The Air', 'Juno' and 'Thank You For Smoking') have all been fantastic in my eyes - all very different films.. and each with their own charm. Definitely could become one of THE great directors if he continues like this.

Recommend this!

PS - wasn't it odd to see Danny McBride ("Kenny F*cking Powers!") play a quite serious (well, very low-key comedically) role?
    PPS - More movies featuring music from Elliott Smith please Hollywood..!

I hated Juno but for different reasons, Thank You For Smoking was fantastic though, and this was great as well, Clooney is just playing Clooney as always, but I love Clooney, so I've no problem with that :D

I hated Juno but for different reasons
    I can see why people did.. but I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't the amazing film it was being hyped up to be (although I saw it before it hit Irish shores).

And sure the dialogue was very artificial and even hokey at times - but I can't fault any of the performances of the main cast (Page, Simmons, Janney, Bateman, Cera) and it has a damn fine soundtrack.
    Clooney is just playing Clooney as always, but I love Clooney, so I've no problem with that :D
    Yep, I've a theory that Clooney is one of the last of the fine actors in Hollywood.

He's got the fame thing cracked.. he's one of the most consistently superb actors working today, not to mention having a couple of acclaimed directorial movies and screenplays under his belt. He's comes across very well in interviews - intelligent and very witty.

Yet for all this, he walks around Hollywood without being plagued by paparazzi.

I've major respect for the man!

Yep, I've a theory that Clooney is one of the last of the fine actors in Hollywood.

He's got the fame thing cracked.. he's one of the most consistently superb actors working today, not to mention having a couple of acclaimed directorial movies and screenplays under his belt. He's comes across very well in interviews - intelligent and very witty.

Yet for all this, he walks around Hollywood without being plagued by paparazzi.

I've major respect for the man!

Sums up everything i like about him as well, he really is our generations Cary Grant, for want of a lazy comparison. He's a fine director as well, isnt afraid to make fun of himself see the "Clooneywatch" segments on Ellen's show from last year, great self parody from him. His chemistry with Brad Pitt, both onscreen and off is superb as well, you can see in interviews that they genuinely like working with each other, he's also got some of the best comic timing and line delivery of any actor working today, O Brother being a fantastic example, so many quotable lines from him in that, the part where he asks John Goodman "whats that Big Dan?" just as he batters Tim Blake Nelson in the face with a tree branch never fails to crack me up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

a decent film.i think its getting a lot of oscar "buzz" because it kinda deals with resessionary issues i.e. losing your job in corparate usa and giving hope to those people.the yanks love all that stuff.
    as for the now famous ass double.rear of the year material for sure

It's getting a lot of oscar buzz because it's a very good film

I usually have little time for the oscars but I do hope this does well this year. I'd like to see this film become a huge success.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pic please, spoiler if you must!

Pic please, spoiler if you must!
    Pay your €9.50 for cinema entry like everyone else! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And sit through two hours of a film dubbed into French? No arse is that good surely!

Advertisement