Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Dermighty wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    Into the abyss
    Good documentary about death row inmates by werner herzog.
    Its good I enjoyed it.

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. I have to say that as I watched it I really wanted them to execute that guy, which they did :P

Oh I agree totally.what about the father having xmas dinner with his 2 sons and himself all in prison at the same time.mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched Lockout. Actually quite decent. Went in with the intention of watching Battleship, but Guy Pearce won me over. By no means a brilliant film, but entertaining - Die Hard in space, in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Amores Perros : very good if a little depressing, did'nt know much about it before watching but was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Marley

I love Kevin McDonalds documentaries and this is no exception. Im not a fan of Bob or his music but I have an appreciation of both now and thats surely a sign that McDonald is a master of his craft.
    I wonder what Bob would make of Mugabes regime nowadays, considering his support of Zimbabwes independence at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

marwelie wrote: »
    I wonder what Bob would make of Mugabes regime nowadays, considering his support of Zimbabwes independence at the time

The guy was famous because of his music. Just because I can sing and dance doesn't qualify me to perform open heart surgery. Otherwise we may as well have President Bono of the first global government , in otherwise an absurdity.
    Yet the media keep insisting on valuing the non expert opinions of someone who made their careers in something the very opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Watched Birdy today starring a very young Nicolas Cage and Matthew Modine. Cage is a semi broken nam vet while Modine was fully broken by the vietnam war. Really enjoyed this and happened upon it by chance. Lots of emotion in it wont say much else check it out if you get a chance.

Also watched and enjoyed 22 Bullets starring Jean Reno as an ageing french mafia don who although retired is the subject of an assassination attempt. Obviously they didn't realise they were dealing with Jean f*ckin Reno :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Just listed these on that Letterboxd site but I've been putting off going through them here as I've been watching a lot of junk. Seeing them ordered there by poster art is worse. tongue.gif

The Golden Compass
    - Can't remember it to be honest and haven't read His Dark Materials for comparison. Recall thinking the CGI was nicely done. Apparently New Line recut the film and the intended ending is missing?

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - "...but there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name." Yeah, it's 'Liam Neeson'.

Taken - Okay action movie but it's far too easy to mock it for its flaws. Half expected the horse to show up at the airport as support and events just happen to play into Aslan's hands. Good thing the right guy spoke and he didn't arrive too late, huh?
    For his daughter anyway, might aswell have ran the credits over Amanda's corpse.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1 - Meh. Lost interest in the books after the fifth one, thought the sixth movie was decent. Movie 7.1 is a glorified hike just like the novel.

The Slanted Screen - Not really a movie but I'm counting it. Hour long documentary about the portrayal of Asian men in American film/TV. Liked it. Could have done with more visual examples rather than just stating it though. The so-called tribute to Mako in the DVD extras is just some of his interview that didn't make it into the finished documentary.

Captain America: The First Avenger - Liked it a lot. Good fun. Some CGI I found unncessary (could have done without the digital shrinking of Evans' height, just take away his muscles), Hugo Weaving's German accent is questionable and I think the film would have been better off without the opening
    in the present day
    . Star Spangled Man is easily my favourite part of the film though it got tainted somewhat when, about an hour later, someone in my Twitter feed posted the rape figures in the US military.

Gulliver's Travels - Terrible affront to cinema that's beneath even Jack Black to have agreed to it. The most disappointing thing about the movie was seeing WETA in the credits for the incredibly fake CGI that's only two years old at this point. Movie gets the honour of being the third worst film I've ever seen. What's annoying is getting another film I can rank on that scale so soon after THC. tongue.gif

The Illusionist (2010) - Good watch. Nice animation and I particularly enjoyed the rabbit. Rather odd that it's been said Jacques Tati wrote the story to reconcile with his estranged daughter when her equivalent in the film seems so selfish.
    "Magicians do not exist."
    frown.gif The moral of the story is to go into the back end of Scotland to be successful. wink.gif Just like in...

The Eagle - Roman-American Channing Tatum ventures into Scotland with Jamie Bell to retrieve the aquila of the Ninth Legion and regain family honour lost by his father. Film was alright but I'm not sure what the point of the whole thing was in the end. Seemed to have mixed messages. Nice to see Alan Moore leading a tribe of Celts into battle though.

Little Fockers - Next.

Tales from Earthsea - Made by the wrong Miyazaki. Good to look at but it's oddly flippant about death in some ways. To the point where I didn't realise the protagonist had killed his father. Thought he'd winded him to swipe his sword (of course, that could have been obvious to everyone but me wink.gif). Plus a lot of establishing the fantasy world which ultimately didn't matter in the end.

Green Lantern: First Flight - Merge this with the live-action movie and that should have been the film the cinema got.

Stargate: Continuum - I like Stargate and I like time travel stories so it works for me. After getting past my dislike of the Stargate being used for time travel...

The Muppets - The Muppets get their groove back. It's not perfect (to my ear, Frank Oz is sorely missed when it comes to Miss Piggy's singing) but at least for now the franchise redeems itself from the like of Muppets in Space. Funnily enough they don't mention that "people forgot" about them because of that stuff. wink.gif

District 9 - Not sure what to think of it, really. I don't dislike it at least. First half is not-too-subtle mockumentary (and yet I still read people calling the aliens by their derogatory names) then it becomes an action film. Not particularly interested in a District 10 should it come along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Watched Lockout. Actually quite decent. Went in with the intention of watching Battleship, but Guy Pearce won me over. By no means a brilliant film, but entertaining - Die Hard in space, in many ways.

tumblr_m0v2s7JKqd1qgzsew.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Watched Recoil last night. Steve Austin looking hard and beating the pulp out of lads without breaking a sweat. An enjoyable hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Pearce is superb in it, but the dialogue is terrible, Maggie Grace is terrible and the whole thing is remarkably derivative. Good fun for what it is, elevated by a bunch of good performances (basically from everyone bar Grace).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ridley wrote: »
    Tales from Earthsea - Made by the wrong Miyazaki. Good to look at but it's oddly flippant about death in some ways. To the point where I didn't realise the protagonist had killed his father. Thought he'd winded him to swipe his sword (of course, that could have been obvious to everyone but me wink.gif). Plus a lot of establishing the fantasy world which ultimately didn't matter in the end.

Luckily Goro Miyazaki redeems himself with the extremely pleasant From Up on Poppy Hill, but Earthsea is just a disaster in almost every regard.

Watched Quirky Guys and Gals last night: a poorly titled and very odd four-part omnibus film from Japan. As always with films of this type, not everything hits: the cross-dressing middle section is the weakest. Apart from that, though, it's pretty endearing light entertainment. It's a film that was made by experienced directors but produced by students, so on a budgetary level it's very low indeed, and the technical side of things is a mixed bag (they couldn't afford a steadicam, by the looks of it). But the tales are charming and funny: especially the opening tale of a cheer squad and the unexpected direction the story of a woman who failed to pay her electricity bill takes. The last segment is a simple, predictable yet entertaining story of a woman who 'collects' newly unemployed salarymen and hides them in her house during the day.

Light, but fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

tumblr_m0v2s7JKqd1qgzsew.jpg[/Quote]

Do you actually think that is funny? Did u draw it yourself ?Or is it supposed to be you?or what exactly is it meant to be.

Lockout wasnt bad at all.leave your brain at the door movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

tumblr_m0v2s7JKqd1qgzsew.jpg

Do you actually think that is funny? Did u draw it yourself ?Or is it supposed to be you?or what exactly is it meant to be.

http://knowyourmeme.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Not really films, but I watched the 3 Paradise Lost documentaries recently, crazy stuff altogether. Wouldn't fancy facing a bible belt Jury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Lockout wasnt bad at all.leave your brain at the door movie.
    It's meant to be a 'meme'. Though I much prefer this one.

Mother+of+god+_0e29a0446d96d138e7f1b06aa63261cf.jpg

Can't stand how all these ms paint images are now generically called 'rage' faces. Seems so dumb.

I'd explain it to you but I don't have any crayons at my disposal just at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Just went to se 21 Jump street.......good for a laugh if you don't want to use too many brain cells working out a plot line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Watched Philadelphia last night. Brilliant film. I thought Tom Hanks was great. The scene with him coming out of Miller's office was one of the best in it. And of course Bruce's song was superb in the opening scene.

I watched JJ Abram's Star Trek this morning. It's my 4th time to watch it I think. Can't get sick of it. I got some shock the first time I watched it seeing Kim from Home and Away in it. He's very good in it though I have to say.

I was never into the tv show when I was younger but I had an idea of the characters. It's given me a huge interest in the whole thing now and I'm really looking forward to the next film. Hopefully they keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I'd explain it to you but I don't have any crayons at my disposal just at the minute.

Did you eat them?

Saw the Avengers last night. Thought it was really good, 3d was shocking though.

I also watched Jacob's Ladder this week, a proper classic. I remember being terrified as a child watching it.

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) - I have no idea why they called this the CoMC, besides the first 30 minutes or so it bears little to no resemblance to the book, which is a real shame as the book is absolutely incredible. Although the movie has quite a favourable rating on IMdB so what do I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 pauljeremiah

Watched "TT3D: Closer To The Edge" this morning.

The Isle Of Man TT Races are familiar to motorsport fans around the world as the Holy Grail of roadracing, an astonishing course set over, in, through and around 37 and a bit miles of the Isle Of Man's countryside, mountains, towns, villages and 'road furniture'. Riders blast through narrow country lanes with stone walls, lamp-posts, kerbs...at speeds approaching 200mph.

To some people in this risk-averse age, the obvious question is "Why do these men (and the odd woman) risk their lives?". The majority of the non-racing scenes in the film give the riders point of view on this; it will not spoil anything to say that the consensus is that riding is a thrill like no other; riding at the extreme is something else beyond that. The passion for the race is all-consuming.

When considering the risks these riders take, it is worth bearing in mind that for many of the riders (and their crews) this is not a full time job. They are not millionaires like formula 1 drivers. While other people get a look in, the focus and star of the show here is Guy Martin, the part-time lorry mechanic, part-time superbike racer, full-time charismatic rebel who has the talent, drive and popular support of a great champion but has never won a TT. Will he do it this year ? Those who follow the sport know the answer, those who don't will be willing him on during the film's race scenes.

I would recommend this without hesitation to anyone who is into motorsport, anyone who wants to understand why other people are into it, and most strongly I would recommend it to anyone who has the slightest interest in learning about other people, what makes them tick, and what you can learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Good Night and Good Luck the other night. Thought it was a great show and could have even been longer. Great cast.

Same night watched The Big Sleep. Adored it. Every character was the epitome of cool. Some of the best female roles I've seen in a film.

Today, watched the original Cape Fear. Im sorry but I thought it was shocking. There were elements I admired but the overacting was almost hilarious. Im very interested in seeing the remake because there is a potentially excellent film in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

pauljeremiah - I was fortunate to live in the Isle of Man for a numbers of years - right on the TT course literally inches from the sitting room window - and despite having no interest or knowledge of bikes was completely blown away by it!

Watch the movie, visit this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75285660 and then visit the Isle of Man. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Erin Brockovitch

Liked it a lot, thumps up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Gomorrah : Solid organised crime movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

just finished watching Stake Land, one of the best vampire films i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Dark House (2009)
    I was expecting something like Thir13en Ghosts (2001) , Which I really like.

This movie start of with 3 girl going pass a house and they start talking about the haunted house, one of the girls goes into the house. She see dead bodies (No She dose not leave) Yet she carries on further into the house, where more dead bodies, yes she still stay in the house, then she a mother who killing her self and stay's and watch and she get scared and faints., Then movie fast forward something years later, the girl as woken up from a bad dream.

After really Unbeliever start of the movie we have sit thought 20 minutes of very annoying and abysmal acting from the whole cast.

The Ghost in this movie was really disappointing, I did not find any of them scary at all.

I love each second of Death scenes, no, that they were great or anything as I was happy they were being Killed off. As I hated everyone in this movie.

From first kill scenes, which after the 35mins of rubbish, it get a bit fun for next 20 Mins and bit gory scenes at time,. I should have just fast forward the first 35 mins of the movie.

The ending did not make no sense what so ever, you will need ignore what you saw at the start of movie.

This like really bad version of The House on Haunted Hill Meets Thir13en Ghosts (Remakes) put into one big MESS!

3 out of 10

The Task (2011)
    I was excepting this movie to be really poor.

I found the start a little odd, people are being kidnapped, only to be told they going to be spending the day in abandoned prison.

They did not seem to care that were kidnapped expect for one of them, who soon leaves.

I found move really entertaining and did not find it boring at all, nothing much really happens and people in this movie did not annoy me at all.

There also had just hint of descent atmosphere, if they tried a little hard, it could have made this movie creepy.

As this movie was not scary or creepy and it wasn't even that bloody, yet I still enjoyed it!

I was shocked with that twist, , I had no idea that would happen, I think it worked really well with the rest of the movie. after that twist. it's easy to predict what happens for rest of the movie.

I going to give this movie 5 out of 10 descent horror movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Harry Brown this afternoon, very good and I especially liked how they did the scene
    of the friends funeral, with the hearse and limos passing by then cutting to Harry standing alone but for the priest at his friends grave
    . Really showed how alone and isolated those old men were.

Then this evening I put on Pontypool. It was good and nicely built the tension through the scattered reports and eye witnesses.

Both are well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Terminator: Salvation on TV. Seriously flawed, I thought. The storyline was conventional to a fault - after an interesting start it turned into another "storm the fortress" tale, complete with archetypes from Central Casting. Square-jawed heroes in long coats? Check. Feisty female fighter pilot / love interest? Check. Hard-boiled General with no soul, happy to sacrifice civilians, but who gets what's coming to him? Check. Photogenic kid with big eyes, straight off the set of a Mad Max or The Matrix instalment? Check.

Some vague Holocaust references (not really explained) - was that really what was going on? They assumed the worst, but I don't remember seeing any explanations.

Plot hole: what happened to all those civilians that were released from Skynet? They didn't have that much time to get clear before Connor detonated the nuclear charges. Collateral damage?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

American Pie:The Reunion.

Great to see the original cast back together.You get exactly what you expect,gross-out humour,some very funny moments and the obligatory cheesy/schmaltzy bit.I enjoyed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement