Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

IT: I haven't seen this movie in years!

This film used to scare me when i was younger and i was excited to see it again. I hadn't seen it in years and could only vaguely remember some scenes.

However after watching it again i was disappointed, i found it very corny and funny at times and it got downright bizarre towards the end.

There was one or two scary moments and i thought Tim Curry played the role of IT well but all and all it was to corny and infantile.

Read the book it's a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Honestly don't think I could watch IT. Scared the life out of me when I was a kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

sillo wrote: »
    I'm usually pretty easygoing when it comes to movie - I'll watch more or less anything, from siberian camel documentaries to mission impossible and everything inbetween. I think the reason TF evoked such dislike is that it simply felt like a pointless exercise - I got none of the things out of it that I like to see in a movie. And I didn't even get the impression the people that made the movie cared about my experience at all, they were too busy trying to be inciteful and keen.

Which is not necessarily a flaw in creative types at all, but in this particular case it all came together in a rather unenjoyable way that rubbed me up the wrong way.

It's fair enough, and you're far from the only person to feel that way (Irish and UK critics seemed particularly hostile towards it). I kind of think the film is designed to be sort of pointless, if that makes sense: after all, it's about a character who is almost entirely directionless and unlikeable. As someone in the same age group of Dunham, I do think she has a pretty perceptive eye when it comes to critiquing a certain generation, of which she herself belongs. Indeed, as someone who has been an unemployed graduate in the very recent past (potentially a soon to be unemployed postgrad :P) I dare suggest a lot of it hit close to home at times, although I hope I'm not as obnoxious as the protagonist ;) Definitely recognise some of the types it portrays, even if I'm not from a privileged New York neighborhood! It's far from a masterpiece, IMO, but was overall a rewarding watch.

Have you ever seen Kicking & Screaming? Would be curious to know if you felt the same way about that, although general consensus seems more favourable towards it. I think they're both aimed at a very specific demographic, although TF definitely has rubbed a lot of people a very wrong way indeed.

No but I'm dying for something new to watch right now so I might check it out. I had seen some coverage comparing the two movies.

I don't doubt Dunham's analysis had a lot of home truths in it and probably cut to the bone - but I'm 31, students being directionless isn't news to me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

The Last Broadcast (1998)

This movie did like feel like a found footage movie at all, it felt like was watching a real documentary.

I did not like this movie at all, most of the time people were just talking about case after the murders, the person who got set down, did he it do or not.

There are only number of scenes that were in the woods, which was really disappointing.

I don't why but thought it be a lot more similar too The Blair Witch Project but it was far from it. (Which make neither of them good).

This movie also as a really odd twist ending, Which I did not see going at all but I don't think that twist suited the movie at all.

The acting was really poor in places I going to give 4 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kissenger

Sherlock Holmes 2

Not a bad movie. But certainely not a great movie.
    Uses too much of that slow-mo / pre-fighting predicting stuff too. That was good in the first movie. Just feels over-used now.

Headhunters (Hodejegerne): I went into this one with almost no idea what to expect and it really delighted me - juggling effortlessly between tones of action, suspense, thriller, comedy and romance, this norwegian film was enthralling from beginning to end.

A true multidimensional gem of a movie, I highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched Gregory's Girl (1981): why, oh why, have I never seen this before? Possibly because I've read reviewers gushing about it for years and didn't think it could be as good as all that. Turns out it's not that good: it's better. I'm convinced that John Hughes saw this before making his "high school" films such as Sixteen Candles: both have the same kind of surrealist humour in the "normal" lives of the high school kids. A very "nice" film in the best sense.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Captain America: The First Avenger. Kicked off my Avengers run in with this. I have read some of the major Cap comic stories over the years but never really found the character that interesting bar the Ultimates version and when Brubaker wrote him, so was pleasantly surprised by this.

It is really enjoyable, it captures the setting and era pretty well, Tommy Lee Jones is well cast, Hugo Weaving doesn't completely ham it up as Red Skull, and even Chris Evans who ruined the FF movies manages to do ok here. There are some nice touches throughout like the howling commandos, Peggy Carter, and I really liked the seeds planted for the 'Winter Soldier' story to be the focus of the sequel.

There are a few bad points, The pre-transformation Rogers is done well for the most part but some scenes are dodgy looking (the one where he crawls through the barbed wire on the assault course. The main criticism I have is the ending, it lacks any real tension (maybe because we already know what happens) but I would have rathered the end to have Cap and Red Skull
    fight on the outside of the plane as it crashes before an explosion separates them and knocks Cap into the ice.
    Also liked that the end scene is taken straight from The Ultimates although again I would have preferred him to
    attack Fury and say 'Gabe Jones is the highest ranking Black man in the US army'
    just a small thing but would have been nice, maybe we are too sensitive for that.:D

I know it should be expected from a comic company, but I really gotta give Marvel credit for having their continuity in such good shape over the course of these movies, it really adds to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Angels and Demons, was pretty pants, least they changed that ludicrous parachute scene from the book

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Kissenger wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes 2

Not a bad movie. But certainely not a great movie.
    Uses too much of that slow-mo / pre-fighting predicting stuff too. That was good in the first movie. Just feels over-used now.

I watched it last night aswell & thought it was much better than the reviews.
    It's over 2 hours long though, that could have been cut.
    Dialogue was strong & another good turn by the leads.

Good to see Naaomi Replace getting some Hollywood recognition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"End of Days" (1999) on RTE last night. Watched from behind laptop. Still an entertaining movie and Gabriel Byrne really does smug and evil with panache. That said he's no match for Arnie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

Shame. Great film. Great performance from Fassbender. Thought it could have dealt more with why he is the way he is but other than that no complaints what so ever
    His knob's huge

Street Trash (1987)

After seeing the trailer for first time on Friday had to see this movie, i got my hands on it yesterday,. i have seen it today.

The movies dose not take long to start at all, there are some really good gooey gory scenes in this movie get in the mood of the cheesy effect.

There some scene are funny at first, then they make the joke drag on a little to long make the jokes fade wade away.

The acting at the start of the movie was really appalling but as the movie carried on the acting skill improved just a little, enough to suit this kind of movie.

There were really funny moment that worked really well and some really good over the top gory death scenes.

I could have done without the silly 1st fight scene, which has to be one of the worst fight scene i have ever seen in a movie.

Overall, I thought it was crap-tastic 5 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

"End of Days" (1999) on RTE last night. Watched from behind laptop. Still an entertaining movie and Gabriel Byrne really does smug and evil with panache. That said he's no match for Arnie. :D

hes only a choir boy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tindie wrote: »
    Street Trash (1987)

After seeing the trailer for first time on Friday had to see this movie, i got my hands on it yesterday,. i have seen it today.

The movies dose not take long to start at all, there are some really good gooey gory scenes in this movie get in the mood of the cheesy effect.

There some scene are funny at first, then they make the joke drag on a little to long make the jokes fade wade away.

The acting at the start of the movie was really appalling but as the movie carried on the acting skill improved just a little, enough to suit this kind of movie.

There were really funny moment that worked really well and some really good over the top gory death scenes.

I could have done without the silly 1st fight scene, which has to be one of the worst fight scene i have ever seen in a movie.

Overall, I thought it was crap-tastic 5 out of 10

YO! Air support!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Food Inc. - An indictment of America's corporate controlled food industry, very interesting it must be said, and if I were an American, quite scary!!

I wonder how our own industry compares?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hable con ella - Talk to her.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this film. the soundtrack is out of this world. I enjoyed the film but I have to say there was a lot of the time I was made feel strangely uncomfortable I'm sure it would have been worse if I was watching it with someone else.

Definitely worth watching but the soundtrack is a must listen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

recently watched:

Shame- one of the top films of the year for me really good. 4/5

Dogtooth- weird Greek film about a couple who keep their grown children from the outside world in their house and garden. good though 3/5

The Consequences of love- brilliant film was blown away when i watched this last night. Italian crime film directed by Paolo Sorrentino. Its about a middle aged italian business man who lives a secluded life in a hotel in switzerland. Soon the real reason he is there becomes apparent after he speaks with a young barmaid. sound track is awesome too 5/5

Tony EH wrote: »
    YO! Air support!

:confused: What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Man on Fire" (2004) on TV last night. Watched for the umteenth time as it appeals to my sense of justice. :D Set in Mexico City, Denzel Washington deals out serious retribution to all involved in the kidnapping of a young girl under his protection. A well crafted movie which never stops until the credits roll.

"I got all the time in the world, I do, but you don't."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kamikaze Girls: A year or two ago, Kamikaze Girls was one of the rare films I just couldn't finish. Lost interest after around half an hour. A bit more accustomed with the style of director Tetsuya Nakashima (he of Confessions and Memories of Matsuko), said I'd give it another go. Still wouldn't consider myself a fan of the film, but it just about gets by on the sheer power of its visual and stylistic identity. The story itself is a fairly meandering tale of a Gothic Lolita who befriends a biker chick. Surreal, loosely structured happenings follow, some of which are moderately amusing while others evaporate before you know it. The narrative is light at best, disposable at worst. But the visuals are full of colour, camera movement, clever framing and other stylistic flourishes, that make it at least pleasing to look at.

It's a shallow film by design, almost, and isn't a patch on Nakashima's other films (Confessions is a radical departure, but Matsuko builds on the day-glo presentation and marries it was a more compelling, bittersweet story). Just about worth a watch with low expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tindie wrote: »
    :confused: What are you on about?

It's a line from the film. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Contraband:

Decent if unspectacular thriller/action film. It's a film that's never going to win any awards or anything like that but it's worth a watch if you want to leave your brain at the door for a couple of hours. Some decent enough action sequences throughout if that's your thing.
    The twist is quite underwhelming too as you could call it a miile off.
    friends asked me about this film, all i could say was, its alright, just switch off the brain first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Watched "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Watched "Layercake" and "Good Will Hunting" recently.

Both great movies, would recommend to anyone who hasn't watched either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Watched "Layercake" and "Good Will Hunting" recently.

Both great movies, would recommend to anyone who hasn't watched either

Two films that have been on my 'to-watch' lost for some time now... what's the deal with Layercake? What film(s) would you compare it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Two films that have been on my 'to-watch' lost for some time now... what's the deal with Layercake? What film(s) would you compare it to?
    Snatch/Carlito's Way

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

It's the film that practically got Daniel Craig the Bond Role. I suppose I'd compare it to Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Heat, and Goodfellas, it would certainly have elements from the three of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

To be honest it's very difficult to compare Layer Cake to any other movie in my honest opinion.

It's one of my favourite movies of all time.

Daniel Craig is well cast and excellent and nothing like what you'd expect.
    Michael Gambon is brilliant too and his voice is captivating.
    Colin Meaney is very funny(as usual).
    Tameer Hassan plays his usual role.
    Tom Hardy has a small role too.
    Sienna Miller is gorgeous.

Soundtrack is very good too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement