Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Cabin in the woods - Thought it was good, not overly impressed. Would watch it again.

Contagion - meh.

Drive - Unreal movie, fantastic soundtrack as well.

The Grey - Missed the start, but it was good enough.

Immortals - Good enough movie, shocking story, but didn't expect there to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I will second the opinion of Contagion above - simply meh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

So I finally got around to watching Inception. I'm probably the last person in Ireland to see it.

It's the first film that I've watched in months really. I've been watching boxsets for months now. I found my attention span going after about half an hour. I was ready to give up on it until they started to get into it.

I don't really know what to make of it. I haven't been that confused in a long time. It was a good confused though I suppose. I'l have to watch it again some time to get a proper understanding of everything that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

So I finally got around to watching Inception. I'm probably the last person in Ireland to see it.

It's the first film that I've watched in months really. I've been watching boxsets for months now. I found my attention span going after about half an hour. I was ready to give up on it until they started to get into it.

I don't really know what to make of it. I haven't been that confused in a long time. It was a good confused though I suppose. I'l have to watch it again some time to get a proper understanding of everything that's going on.

I really enjoyed it. Went to see it n the cinema and I think that's the best way to see. Some very memorable cinematic moments in it that just look great on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Halloween 2, the Rob Zombie one - my first time seeing this one, another rob zombie great imho :D

Wasting Away, really cool zombie movie, not too cliched, good few laughs, would definitly watch it again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Yeah, I'm the same, completely lost me aswel. I've watched it twice since and I'm still confused. Can't understand all the hype it got, to me it's long and fairly boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I walked out of inception in the cinema.

I watched it recently on blu-ray and while it's better than i'd previously thought (I really disliked it when i left the cinema), it was not something I'd recommend to people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Carnage is without doubt one of the best films i've seen in ages. I can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Thanks alot for that, Folks - will definitely be checking out Layercake sooner, rather than later, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Contraband - didnt have too high expectations and they were not met, below average film.

Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows- What do people make of this? I thought it was weak all round and was not as enjoyable as the first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Yeah, I'm the same, completely lost me aswel. I've watched it twice since and I'm still confused. Can't understand all the hype it got, to me it's long and fairly boring.

Awful bloody film, spouting spurious nonsense doesnt make one or a film intelligent, definitely most overhyped crap of the last 20 yrs. Ps btw I hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

adox wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. Went to see it n the cinema and I think that's the best way to see. Some very memorable cinematic moments in it that just look great on the big screen.

Yea I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't see it in the cinema. Some of the visuals are fantastic. The helicopter shots of the different cities and the scenes where the group are in the newly formed city in the dream look great. No doubt they looked amazing on the big screen.
    Patsy fyre wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a fantastic film. I just found it a little weird at the start. I'd compare it to when I started watching The Wire. I hadn't a clue what was going on. I ignored important characters and was unable to understand the accents. After a few viewings I got the hang of it and soon enough I was able to appreciate it.

I'll probably have to watch the film again to get everything. Some of the parts come at you very quickly. I got very lost when Cobb was explaining things, but I'd put some of that down to the fact that I was watching it very late at night.

I enjoyed it. Not an all-time classic, but a very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 impala67

hi,

recently i watched a movie called warrior starring nick nolte and tom hardy its a brilliant movie with a great soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows- What do people make of this? I thought it was weak all round and was not as enjoyable as the first

Was a fan of the first film but wasn't mad about this at all

Watched it over the weekend

The slow motion is clever but it was just over-used.
    Found the film a bit long

Rate it no more then average and a bit of a let-down from the first film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Marley

The film had nothing interesting or insightful to say and took 144 minutes to say it. Not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The Divide watched it a few nights ago. I thought it was ok, probably not for everyone though. If anyone has saw it I would be interested to hear what they thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

e_e wrote: »
    Marley

The film had nothing interesting or insightful to say and took 144 minutes to say it. Not impressed.

Yeah I saw it was Kevin macdonald directing so I'm definitely going to skip that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Conspirator - received generally mixed reviews, but I quite enjoyed it. The biggest flaw with is the visual style, which is bland, overlit and kind of feels like it's not in focus at times. The tale itself - of the lawyer (James McAvoy) who has to defend a woman accused of conspiring to murder honest Abe - initially seems like a fairly bog standard courtroom drama, but there's not the tidy ending one would expect (history: exciting!). Performances are strong, even if some characters are somewhat questionably and cartoonishly vilified. Ultimately, it emerges as a critical look at ye olde America, while also perhaps making an ideological commentary on the America of today. Those who consider 'liberal' to be an obscenity need not apply. Not subtle, perhaps, but worthy of a gander. Robert Redford directs.

Eight Men Out

Follows a true story of a baseball team that threw the World Series

Great acting and very interesting

David Strathairn is one of my favourite actors and John Cusack not far behind

"Say it ain't so Joe" said the sad little boy who can't believe his hero could do such a thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

The Thing From another World (1951) for the first time.

I was really disappointing by it ,

I thought it would have been much better then that.

and The Thing looked looked a bit like Frankenstein or maybe that was just me.

I just could not get into the movie at all and I thought it somewhat decent for it time.

and the acting was all over the place, some were over the top and some was acting like they there nothing going on.

I felt like that had to many people in this movie and it was really dull at times, which makes to movie drag a little , it a good think that movie was not to long.

5 out of 10 (For being original at the time.) I think i loved remake way to much.

I not to keen on Black And White movies! (This is the oldest movie I have ever seen)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Into the abyss
    Good documentary about death row inmates by werner herzog.
    Its good I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Cabin in the woods: Saw this the other night and wasn't impressed.

This film is a horror/comedy that is neither scary or funny.

I just found the whole thing silly
    -monsters, Ancient Gods, appeasing these gods with an annual ritual of killing 5 young adults
    etc...

Its your typical teen horror IMO, 5 good lucking young adults go into the woods for a vacation and get bumped off 1 by 1. I can't understand how this film got positive reviews among critics.

I'm not a fan of horror/comedy films but if that's what you want Evil Dead, Beetlejuice are the two best IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

The Ring with Naomi Watts.

A bit uneven but was one of the better recent horror movies for sure.

The Perfect Murder

Michael Douglas, Viggo Mortensen, Gwynth Paltrow

Very impressed with this film, top performances all round

Honourable mention to David Suchet who was the police detective, small role but I liked him in this

Clever and smart film, thumps up

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭8mv

Watched Buried last week.
    Thought it was pretty good, although
    the bleak ending wasn't expected as I was watching with my daughter. With Ryan Reynolds involved, who she liked in Definately, Maybe, I was confident that it would end well, but how wrong was I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

8mv wrote: »
    Watched Buried last week.

Will we guess what you thought of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭8mv

Sorry, Crazy. See edit above. I accidentally hit submit when typing the original post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Cabin in the woods...

Its your typical teen horror IMO, 5 good lucking young adults go into the woods for a vacation and get bumped off 1 by 1. I can't understand how this film got positive reviews among critics...
    It's a parody of those movies, explaining the clichés with
    a Whedonesque conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Waterloo" (1970) on VHS last night - €1 from a local charity shop - the best movie I've watched for a long time. With brilliant performances by Rod Steiger (Napoleon) and Christopher Plummer as (Wellington). I don't know how I've never seen this movie before. The appalling weather, mud, and scale of the battles is carried off to perfection. According to Wiki, some 17,000 Soviet troops were involved in the battle scenes and you can well believe it. Also stars Orson Welles (a cameo role as Louis XVIII), Dan O'Herlihy (Marshal Ney), a young Terence Alexander (Charlie Hungerford in the TV detective series Bergerac) as the Earl of Uxbridge. Fans of famous quotations will remember him as the officer, who seated on a horse beside the Duke of Wellington, uttered the immortal words 'By God, sir, I've lost my leg!' to which Wellington is supposed to have replied 'By God, sir, so you have!'. I'm sure he was fine after a good cup of tea - stiff upper lip and all that. :D

11/10 if that's possible.

YouTube trailer here - be patient as the picture starts eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Into the abyss
    Good documentary about death row inmates by werner herzog.
    Its good I enjoyed it.

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. I have to say that as I watched it I really wanted them to execute that guy, which they did :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement