Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Isle of Man for Happy (railway) Holidays

Options
  • 03-11-2011 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

The Isle of Man remains largely a backwater for railway enthusiasts from both GB and Ireland, with both sets of enthusiasts more likely to visit each others' countries rather than a diminutive, forgotten rock in the Irish Sea. I'm doing my best to to put that right and drum up a bit more interest in visiting the Island, as well as giving myself an excuse to visit it more often too. The season is nearing its end now and the Horse Trams are already finished but the Manx Electric trams, steam trains and 2ft Groudle Glen Railway operate over the Christmas period. Realistically, it is time to plan a visit for next year.

The very popular 'Driver Experience' courses on the MER and the Steam Railway were available during 2011 and, no doubt, will run again next year. There's plenty to do for the rest of the family and the compact nature of the Island means that everything is within easy reach - a car is not needed - and the best way to get around is by tram/train/bus or on foot!

mer-005.jpg?w=570&h=441

Have a look in at my embryonic blog here: http://manxland.wordpress.com/
    - if you want more info feel free to PM me or ask questions here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Was there in 1997 and had a good run around he electric tram system. Great little system and the views from Ramsey heading back in to Douglas are superb(if the weather holds).

My dismissive attitude towards Narrow Gauge railways made me avoid the steam railway but i will probably return at some stage soon to rectify that. Fantastic transport set-up for a small little island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Ive done it a couple of times but its expensive to get there. Loved it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

More from the Isle of Man - this time the steam railway. This is not some Mickey Mouse recreation using replica stock, running over a few miles of track, this is the timeless charm of the narrow gauge as could have been found operating in Ireland up until the closure of the West Clare & County Donegal Railways. No artificial speed limits, but plenty of double heading, banking, vintage non-corridor stock and a good old thrash! :D

Indeed this is how the CDR or the WCR could be had they survived just a few years more...

RIP Irish Narra Gauge.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

MmmmmmM

Chips n Gravy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Here's a pressie for you all. Dribble away.:D

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/i/isle_of_man/index1.shtml

Lots to see over there, but the weather can really ruin it.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Here's a pressie for you all. Dribble away.:D

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/i/isle_of_man/index1.shtml

Lots to see over there, but the weather can really ruin it.

Thanks - I'll be stealing that for my blog. :D

Last horse tram of the season in a wet and miserable Douglas earlier this evening.

402134_2890254423749_1481885773_33004341_674030094_n.jpg

Photo: Janice Farnan

From the Douglas Bay Horse Tramway Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/127269520631637/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Well lit up for the festive season by Horse End Power (HEP) :D

methane I assume?

• Advertisement

Corktina have you been partaking of the Christmas spirit already? :D

Corktina have you been partaking of the Christmas spirit already? :D

horse END power what else could the end of a horse provide but Methane?

Advertisement