Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

i agree, an odd film hammer scene was realistic looking, the end twist left me a bit surprised, i had to re watch that bit to see if it did happen

Have to agree here. Going all "Denis Wheatley" when 20 minutes before it was all "Mike Leigh" left me a bit cold in the end.

I'll have to take a look at it again though.

Have to say though the effects in certain scenes were nothing short of brilliant, so kudos there for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The Cabin in the Woods - great, fun film :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just finished re watching Dogma for about the 20th time. One of my fave film of all time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

contraband - class film , mark wahlberg is a brilliant acter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Proof that you can get too much of a good thing "Inside Titanic" docudrama on RTE last night. I felt it added little to the story and, for me, introduced more confusing issues - back to the drawing board for this 'Titanorak'!

production_pic4e41a5d5529ea.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Watched most of The Forgotten last night. I had seen it before. Not really sure what to make of it to be completely honest. It was okay. Just looking on the IMDb page for it and it's been compared to Identity and Unknown both of which I think were better than The Forgotten.

Watched Titanic the other night as well just for the sake of it. I suppose people are sick of hearing about it so all I'll say is that I like it.

Of what's out at the moment, I really want to see The Cabin in the Woods and 21 Jump Street because they seem to be getting positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Land Of The Lost: Awful, awful, awful. Avoid it like the plague. Utter bollocks. I don't mind Will Ferrell but not even he could save this atrocious cluster fúck of a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Titanic 3D
    The 3D experience was disappointing, I was expecting more from Cameron. The movie was still as good as ever though.

Being John Malkovich
    Seen this movie years ago, forgot how good it was. John Cusack and Cameron Diaz play the leads along with John Malkovich himself. Offbeat and different. John Cusack in his office on floor 7.5 discovers a portal that leads to John Malkovich. One scence has literally hundreds of JM's

The Wrestler
    Really enjoyed this movie. A great performance from Mickey Rourke, he really deserved an Oscar for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ordered a bittersweet life directors cut on blu ray 4 weeks ago and it *finally* arrived this afternoon

just finished it and even though it's my fourth time watching it's every bit as engrossing as the first time. Not a perfect movie but it's just so damn..... stylish. from the excellent fight scene at the start of the movie to the warehouse to
    that shootout at the very end. amazing how good a shot he turned out to be after so little practice but I guess when you're that cool everything comes easy to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Clerks II - gotta love the LOTR, porch monkey and Kinky Kelly scenes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

IT: I haven't seen this movie in years!

This film used to scare me when i was younger and i was excited to see it again. I hadn't seen it in years and could only vaguely remember some scenes.

However after watching it again i was disappointed, i found it very corny and funny at times and it got downright bizarre towards the end.

There was one or two scary moments and i thought Tim Curry played the role of IT well but all and all it was to corny and infantile.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

mission to mars

i vaguely remembered seeing this one but decided to catch
    it again as the little lad loves science fiction and it had a family
    freindly cert.

i was impressed!

:)

not classic brian de palma by any means but very entertaining
    and as usual he uses that 2:35.1 palette to perfection for his
    storytelling.

recommended for light afternoon viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Snowtown: Grim, grim, grim dramatisation of a notorious serial-killer spree in Australia in the 1990's. Expertly crafted, this movie really draws you into the filth and claustrophobia of urban sprawl and broken down communities - enjoyable but very taudry and draining.

God Bless America: A somewhat juvenile kick to the shins of modern popular culture. It borders dangerously close to the one-dimensional but is saved by the ballsy action, and outstanding performances in the two main roles - a modern-day falling down, but a lot less subtle. Could have been great with a bit more craft and subtlety - but still very good and definitely worth seeing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Texas Killing Fields-I guess it all went downhill from when i saw the shadows of the cameraman and his mic buddy in the opening scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The Contract (2006) - very meh. Thought it be safe enough with Morgan Freeman but alas even he couldnt save it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

God bless america = natural born killers

Nothing to write home about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Rainbow Song, one of my favourite movies. Love story where the guy and girl never actually get together because she dies in the first 5 minutes, the rest of the movie is back story and fleshing out who these people are and why her death was important.

Dvd arrived from yesasia during the week, great to see it on dvd instead of the godawfaul quality download I've had for the last couple of years. Even if you've already seen a movie several times, watching it for the first time on a new DVD is a great feeling. Capitalism truly is a wonderful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Contraband

Background and story sounded very interesting

In the end it was average, no more then average

The twists at the end were not particularly clever. Ok it doesn't have to be in order to be entertaining but the whole thing left me a bit cold
    Didn't realy give a damn about the characters

Good idea for a film, just could have been a whole lot more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Le Havre - very endearing new film from Aki Kaurismäki. A bittersweet tale about a French shoe-shiner who has to contend with his wife's illness and the unexpected discovery of an illegal immigrant boy. The tone is extremely well judged - just the right side of quirky, while always retaining a warm and understated affection for its characters. It's amusing rather than laugh out loud funny at times (barring a charity concert inspired in its oddness) but Kaurismaki can find humour in the most unexpected places. Heck, even the framing compositions have amusing colouration or almost hidden visual gags: I don't know why I found the contrast between a load of cacti and a pineapple funny, but I did :P A film whose understated, simple and almost fairy-tale story is immeasurably strengthened by a great confidence of delivery.

2 underwhelming ones today.

Haywire: Quality set-pieces but Soderbergh casting his lead as an MMA fighter who never acted before in her life backfires quite a bit. Still a good movie, well shot and great execution....but let down by the wooden lead and the by-the-numbers plot.

Tiny Furniture: Ugh, indy dross - a bunch of unlikeable characters hang around being really reallu unlikeable for 90 minutes; hip soundtrack and self-pitying by the bucketload, this whole thing left me bored and mildly annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm always slightly amazed at the level of distaste many people have for Tiny Furniture, not that I can't see where you're coming from although I think it's at worst fairly harmless. To me it was pretty much as accurate a portrait as you're likely to get of directionless, spoiled graduates that you're not meant to like - for a generation that may have outgrown Noah Baumbach's still excellent Kicking & Screaming. It's pretty much Lena Dunham taking the piss out of herself for an hour and a half - clearly not something for everyone :pac: Her follow-up Girls, a TV show that just began on HBO, recycles many of the same actors and basic characters while being a bit funnier and self-aware: I personally don't have any major issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I watched Shame today.

I wasn't mad about the film but Michael Fassbender has a smashing penis
    and Carey Mulligan naked looks exactly how I imagine quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Haywire
    Sounded interesting and I was attracted by the cast

In the end very underwhelming, would not recommend

Hadn't come across the lead actress before, she has potential

Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin certainly looks well, must call in some day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

stuchyg wrote: »
    Clerks II - gotta love the LOTR, porch monkey and Kinky Kelly scenes

Just watched it. Very good, certainly a good follow up. I loved the LOTR bits and pillow pants. The husband in the porch monkey scene is brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Contraband:

Decent if unspectacular thriller/action film. It's a film that's never going to win any awards or anything like that but it's worth a watch if you want to leave your brain at the door for a couple of hours. Some decent enough action sequences throughout if that's your thing.
    The twist is quite underwhelming too as you could call it a miile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,316 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I watched Shame today.

I wasn't mad about the film but Michael Fassbender has a smashing penis
    and Carey Mulligan naked looks exactly how I imagine quite often.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Alien & Aliens

I can see why they're considered classics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

X-Men: First Class. Really big X-Men fan but only got around to this now, when it was out in the cinema I wasn't really grabbed by the promo material and the 60's setting put me off it. It wasn't too bad and other than in the Hellfire club, some music, and the Cold War backdrop it is really understated. Fassenbender really steals the show in this up until his accent goes on the beach scene and I would be interested in a Magneto spin off starring him.

Over all the film is decent enough but has a few problems, there are too few action scenes and the ones there are lack any impact or are too short, some characters are under used, and there are some inconsistencies/coincidences....
    Just how long can Banshee hold his breath underwater?...Why didn't Magneto just crush the the Helmet around Shaw's head like he did with the camp guards?
    It was also unclear to me at the end did Magneto or Xavier
    move the cable to grab the helmet of Shaw's head? I am guessing it was Magneto as if it was Xavier he would have to have telekentic powers and this would make him being paralyzed pointless.

Decent way to spend two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Just saw Lockout in the cinema.

****e, could haev been good.

Ah well, twas better than Battleship (heap of ****!)

• Advertisement

I'm always slightly amazed at the level of distaste many people have for Tiny Furniture

I'm usually pretty easygoing when it comes to movie - I'll watch more or less anything, from siberian camel documentaries to mission impossible and everything inbetween. I think the reason TF evoked such dislike is that it simply felt like a pointless exercise - I got none of the things out of it that I like to see in a movie. And I didn't even get the impression the people that made the movie cared about my experience at all, they were too busy trying to be inciteful and keen.

Which is not necessarily a flaw in creative types at all, but in this particular case it all came together in a rather unenjoyable way that rubbed me up the wrong way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement