Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

ong bak 1. savage movie.the fight scenes are unreal

old boy. if only for that hallway scene.....

Man on Wire........what can i say............just watch it

midnight meat train...........if your like me and have a tiny spot in your head for madness............watch it

Frag

Swish

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Watched Master and Commander and Layer Cake last night. Had forgotten just how good Master and Commander is. It was a good evening.

Today I watched

The Marksman and 7 Seconds, two generic Wesley Snipes action films which once the credits finish have completely fade from memory. While nowhere near as bad as some of the recent Segal films they still a far cry from Snipes best work. It really is a shame watching such a talented actor waste his talent. Hopefully his role in Brooklyn's Finest is the first step on his way back to the top.

Just Finished Fast and Furious and I have to say that it wasa a thoroughly entertaining hundred minutes which delivered ezactly what I expected. I've enjoyed each entry in the series to date and am eagerly anticipating part 5, it's not big nore is it clever but then again it never tries to be. It's the modern equivilent of boys own adventures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched Downloading Nancy....not my cup of tea, Sundance Festival movie. I also saw Pretty Persuasion....i really liked it!, it's a darkly humoured satire on modern America, James Woods was excellent in it.

Tonight i shall watch War Games 2........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I saw State of Play on Saturday night. I thought it was a decent film made all the more enjoyable by the fact that me and the missus had the cinema to ourselves!! yep, just the two of us in the cinema on Saturday evening. Our own private viewing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Saw Y Tu Mam Tambien for the first time, those crazy sexy Mexicans!

And the ultimate bromance movie: Shawshank Redemption.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Watched Spanglish, and it was barely watchable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

'Syncdoche, New York'; a decent enough Charlie Kaufman film but not near as good as 'Being John Malkovich' or 'Eternal Sunshine..' in terms of quirky brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Martyrs

martyrs_mb06.jpg

It's quite a sick film to be honest and I wouldn't advise watching it hungover like I did. It's definitely worth a watch if you like horror films. Still not sure whether I really liked it or not though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

I watched the remake of Assault on precinct 13 with Ethan Hawke and thought it was pretty cool. Had me hooked from the start and I was expecting it to be **** as I liked the John Carpenter original and thought Hollywood would do their usual balls-up remake job on it. It threw me quite a few times as it avoided so many of the cliches that you would expect in a Hollywood thriller and Hawke, the imposing Lawrence Fishburne and the supporting cast were solid (good to see Brian Dennehy again before he dies). It was engaging and fast-paced, and I didn't find my mind wandering at all during it which for me is rare these days! (I tried to watch Valkyrie with Tom Cruise after it and I struggled to get to half an hour - first of all Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise. He cannot be anybody else, especially an anti-Nazi conspirator and when Eddie Izzard started up with his German accent, that was it for me. If he had been a cross-dressing cabaret act in it, I might have bought it).

Nice to see Hollywood can get remakes occasionally right. The only other one I can think of in recent times that I liked was the dawn of the dead remake. Again it upped the pace and side-stepped cliches, such as making the hick security guard who at first appeared to be the usual cardboard-cutout antagonist (well apart from the zombies!) the funniest and most likable guy in it.

I'd recommend revolutionary road as well. Very well-made and -acted drama, sometimes a bit stagey but Leo is very good in it and I'll grudgingly say that Kate Winslet was too (not a fan of hers much).

Oh, as I think of it I also saw adaptation, the spike jonze-charlie kaufman movie for the first time. First hour very good then it just went bonkers and not in a usual charlie kaufman way. More like in a sub-standard hollywood thriller kind of way.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Martyrs

martyrs_mb06.jpg

It's quite a sick film to be honest and I wouldn't advise watching it hungover like I did. It's definitely worth a watch if you like horror films. Still not sure whether I really liked it or not though!

I have the Blu Ray resting on my helf for a post dinner watch later tonight.

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

we own the night - enjoyed this movie, even if I could see where the story was going from early in the movie.

the legend of the shadowless sword - a really good martial arts movie. some good fight sequences.

the heartbreak kid - got some good laughs from this movie, even if the story didn't do much for me.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Angels and Demons, brilliant. After reading the reviews I thought it was going to be shocking but I was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watching The Age Of Innocence this evening - first time in years. Scorsese directing a period drama about the upper classes in 1870s New York? No guns, no violence or nudity? Oh, there's violence, all right: emotional violence, buried under layers of manners, fashion, class and repression. If you see it:
    keep an eye on May (Winona Ryder), what she says and when she says it: not the airhead everyone thinks she is

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

jasonorr wrote: »
    Martyrs

martyrs_mb06.jpg

I thought the ending was excellent.

Anyway, the last enjoyable film i saw was Man in the Chair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I thought the ending was excellent.

Anyway, the last enjoyable film i saw was Man in the Chair

Yeah, I dunno. I heard the ending was brilliant, but it was a bit meh for me. Enjoyed the film overall though.

Sandor wrote: »

Mr. Brooks - It's actually one I watched a while back but I just want to plug it. Absolutely brilliant film and Kevin Costners best work to date. I loved it.

Yes it is a good film. It's set up nicely for sequel. I wonder will there be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Seen fighting last week...was alri

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just back from Everlasting Moments (IFI) - a fairly gritty portrait of working class life in Sweden a century ago, but it's not all doom and gloom, thanks to a camera. An "old-fashioned" film in the best sense.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

My roomy put on Seven Pounds. It was terrible. I didn't watch it all, I left the room.

Defiance was slow and not very eventful. It follows a small group of jews as they try to get by during German occupied Poland during WW2. They hide in the woods. A lot. There was nothing stand out. It was well acted but completely forgetable.

Dead Space - Downfall. Finished the game recently and I thought it was brilliant so I thought I'd check this out. It fills out a little more back story, most of which you already have knowledge of. It's not bad but very throw away as one might expect.

Coraline was worth the watch but nothing great. I couldn't help reflecting that it lacked musical numbers. Blame Tim Burton!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I saw Drillbit Taylor tonight, i quite enjoyed it tbh 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

just after watching Slum Dog Millionare this was an amazing film I would recommened you watch it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched Gran Torino....fine performance from Clint, though the script was rather lacking in many respects. Still a good movie...but that OTT end seemed outta place.

I watched Gran Torino....fine performance from Clint, though the script was rather lacking in many respects. Still a good movie...but that OTT end seemed outta place.

Some of the acting wasn't great either. I really enjoyed the dialogue between Clint's character and the priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Day of the Jackal just now off tape (ITV4), seen it once before many years back. An perfect example of low key, fuss free film making. The type you just don't get these days with the need for needless rapid-fire edits, loud music and gratuitous sex/violence. That said the Jackal getting involved with Madame Colette de Montpellie seemed wrong for such a cool perfectionist as she created a needless complication (or two).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Average at best IMO. It was an achievement that I didn't fall asleep during the drawn-out film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Just watched Martyrs.. Oh my!!
    I quite enjoyed it.

Split Second - Something of a curio. Hauer is great as usual but the over dubbing is painfully obvious and there is one instance in which a character we believe to be dead answers one of Hauers questions and is no where to be seen onscreen. It's good trashy fun which could have been the perfect beginning to a franchise but I do believe that the controversy Mary Whitehouse created around the film saw it disappear. The DVD when released in the UK was withdrawn after a few motnhs due to diabolical sales as the company choose not to draw attention to the release due to the films history.

The Horsemen - Now here is the definiton of wasted potential. The film spends it's running time building up to something big only to end on a whimper. And anyone who can't figure out the big baddie within the first half hour has obviously never seen a serial killer film before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moviesrme

One that stays with me is "Good Dick". Yeah I know; kind of embarrassing title. Guy falls for intorverted chick and chases her down much to her chagrin. The female lead directs and wrote it. It's brilliant. Very honest.

Reminds me of "You and me & everyone we know" by Miranda July. Another Gem

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Babylon AD - painful movie. Story wasn't much, fight sequence and special effects also weren't much to speak of.

Space Chimps - very enjoyable movie.

Sleuth - a movie, that for the most of the running time has only Michael Caine and Jude Law on screen. Takes a little time to get going, but found it to be a very watchable movie.

Kikis Delivery Service - another good Studio Ghibli movie that I picked up. Wonderful artwork and the story was pretty good.

If you can read this, you're too close!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement