Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

i watched 30 days of night recently, very flashy vampire film. Its cool but not much plot. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Reservoir Dogs

reserviordogs.jpg(2).gif

Great film, not what I expected, but still great (yeah, I only watched it for the first tie last night!!!).

Rise Of The Footsoldier

400px-rise_of_the_footsoldier.jpg

Based on a true story apparently. Awful, awful, awful. Too any subplots running through it, I really could not wait for it to be over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo A.K.A Brotherhood

318.jpg

what can I say but absolutely brilliant. If you havent seen it and like war movies its a must watch

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Saturday Night Fever. I wish I hadn't bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Frost Nixon - Loved it made me interested in the whole subject of Watergate

Taken - Excellent,

Valkyrie - Hated it, such a waste of a night in

Life of Brian - Cannot believe i have just found this movie - loved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

What happens in Vegas
    The Bucket List
    Underworld 3

I really enjoyed them, not sure if its cos I had no flippin NTL and had no choice but I love Jack Nicholson:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The International
    It was ok, dragged on a bit and didn't make sense in some places.

Bank: "Lets hire TWO snipers! That will throw them off our trai... aw crap they found out... :(
    That was a waste of money, we're terrible bankers tbh."

Best Men - An enjoyabloe and somewhat original bank robbery film. The cast is fantastci and full of some of the most underappreciated actors working today, Dean Cain, Sean Patrick Flannery, Brad Dourif and Fred Ward are all top class talent sadly relegated to straight to DVD films.

Bandidas
    - From Luc Besson comes another highly entertaining film. The cast are all ahving fun and it shows, some great action and enough smile inducing moments to guarantee a fun time. It's light, easy to digest and fun as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gran Torino

Absolutely brilliant piece of film. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit different to what I expected it to be but I was pleasantly surprised. I would highly recommend it even if the supporting cast are a little weak at times. Still brilliant though and a must watch IMO.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Gran Torino

Absolutely brilliant piece of film. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit different to what I expected it to be but I was pleasantly surprised. I would highly recommend it even if the supporting cast are a little weak at times. Still brilliant though and a must watch IMO.

I think I must be the only person who didn't really think that much of it!

Cube: I must say I enjoyed this film and would highly recommend it.

Cube 2: Hypercube: Meh, not great. Same idea, but with special effects (which don't look all that special).

Cube Zero: Prequel to Cube which is much more enjoyable than Hypercube.

Australia: Crap

Event Horizon: I loved this film years ago and it's still really enjoyable.

Fermat's Room: Well worth a watch, check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

That_Guy wrote: »
    Gran Torino

Just watched this also, thought it was pretty terrible to be honest. Clint the ONLY good thing about it.

The Baader Meinhoff Complex: Very good, well three and a half stars. Interesting source material, very well acted and Im loving German movies at the moment.

Vicky Christina Barcelona-LOVED it!!!! Great script, really funny, FANTASTIC performances especially from Cruz and more acessible than some of Allens older stuff, which I know can put some people off

36-French crime thriller, totally decent with great central perforamces from Auteil and Derpardieu, great action scenes tho plots a little thredbare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Milk - excellent
    Valkyrie - grand stuff, does what it says on the tin
    Pride & Glory - decent fare, surprised it didn't get a wider cinema release (maybe it did and i was under a rock)
    Terminator 4 - lol looked good

The Spirit: Why oh why did I force myself to watch it all???

City of Violence - Completely insane mayhem from the start right through to the end. Some exceptional set pieces and bone crunching violence. Recommended.

Chocolate - Ong Bak with a girl. Some truly outstanding fight scenes and enough violence to satisfy even the most hardened of figth fans.

20th Century Boys - A truly amazing film. I watched it with my jaw on the floor. The last half hour is up there with the greatest endings in cinem history. September cannot come fast enough.

Terminator - What more can be said about this one. A groundbreaking, truly aweinspriring sci fi epic.

Terminator 2 - Like part 1 this ranks up there with the greatest films ever made. Cameron crafted the best summer blockbuster of all time. Every aspect of the film is perfect.

Terminator Salvation - The very definition of leave your brain at the door cinema. Some truly fantastic set pieces but far too many plot holes.

Fled - A very workman like film. We've seen it all before and the sub par set pieces don't help. Watch it if there's nothing else on but don't go out of you way to acquire a copy.

Into the Sun - Now this was surprising. An genuinely entertaining Seagal film. The supporting cast includes Walter Peck from Ghostbusters and the action is'nt half bad.

Memories - One of the most visually stunning anime films I have seen. All 3 stories have differnet animation styles and all 3 look absolutly fantastic.

Vampire Hunter D - Dated beyond belief but still an entertaining watch. The sequel is far more fun though and has much better voice acting.

The Prophecy - Christopher Walken is Christopher Walken as the nagel Gabriel. One of those direct to video mid 90s Dimension films which has far more going for it than you might think. A great concept, well acted, directed but sadly lacking the sense of dread the film needs.

Screwed - A madcap comedy featuring norm McDonald and Dave Chapelle as the 2 worst kidnappers in cinema. It's one of those comedies that assumes that by being mad cap it can get away with a nonsical plot. Entertaining enough when I wattched it at 5am this morning but not a film I would watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

21: I enjoyed this film.It wasn't spectacular but it was a good watch.6.5/10

Rambo First Blood Part I: No words needed.10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Prestige - Pretty good. Most of the surprise ending is pretty obvious, but it still plays out well. Good film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Armageddon: For about the 50th time, great show though 9/10.
    Seven Pounds: Good film, if a little hard to understand at the start. 7/10
    Live Free or Die Hard: Best of the series yet. 9/10

Red Storm wrote: »
    Armageddon: For about the 50th time, great show though 9/10.
    Seven Pounds: Good film, if a little hard to understand at the start. 7/10
    Live Free or Die Hard: Best of the series yet. 9/10

Seriously, you think Die Hard 4.0 is superior to Die Hard? :eek: Next you'll be saying that AvP 2 is better than Predator. I worry about the children of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Night at the Museum--Hank Azaria saves the day really..Stiller's still a tosser.
    Gran Torino--excellent film..but Clint u fcuk..
    u never left the Toad's sister anything. I mean she was the one that made the first steps to him..bought him out of his shell..and her dopey brother gets the car?
    Thick As Thieves- enjoyable thief story with Banderas and Freeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Penguinssmell

Forest Gump: again. Quality, 9/10.
    Shutter: meant to be horror but i think 2 ppl die in it, not scary in the slightest, 5/10.
    Stop Loss: Decent watch but ur man Channing Tatum isnt a very good actor, 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Just watched 'Collateral' for the 2nd time (1st was in the cinema, so it's been a good while) and, Mann goes up and up in my estimation every time I see one of his films (especially repeat viewings). Can't wait for the Dillinger movie - is there an Irish release date set yet? Must be soon *crosses fingers*

Just watched 'Collateral' for the 2nd time (1st was in the cinema, so it's been a good while) and, Mann goes up and up in my estimation every time I see one of his films (especially repeat viewings). Can't wait for the Dillinger movie - is there an Irish release date set yet? Must be soon *crosses fingers*

Released over her on the 1st of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Last King of Scotland - watched most of it anyway, still have 20 mins left to watch... Pretty damn good!

Machine Girl - ludicrously OTT gore which was quite funny in places, and just plain odd in others (
    the scene with the soup!!!! WTF!
    )... Well worth a watch if you're in the mood for some crazy extreme violence with a nonsensical plot

Transiberian - One of the best thrillers in many a moon from Brad Anderson the director of the superb Session 9. One of those films which it's best to approach knowing nothing about.

The Hangover - Esily the best comedy of the past few years. From the opening to closing scenes not a single joke falls flat and the performances are all excellent. If this does'nt cement Bradley Cooper as the next big thing then nothign will.

Blind Fury - Rutger Hauer as a modern day Zatoichi. A blind Vietnam vet becomes a master swordsman and attempts to help hisarmy buddy Terry O'Quinn get his sone back. The action is fast and furious, the comedy well done with a certain mena streak to it and Hauer is have balls of fun. It's a cheesy 80s action flick which held my attention for 90 minutes and will surely be given a rewatch soemwhere down the line.

Scarface - Been years since I last saw this and it remains a fantastic piece of cinema. Pacino is absolutly fantastic even if at times the film is so 80s it hurts. Watching the film now you can only imagine how different it would be if made today, the rap soundtrack would certainly be there. As it happens a few years abck when rereleased the Studio wanted DePalma to replace all the music with rap songs inspiried by the film. Thank Jebus that he refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

watch Pineapple Express last night prop da funniest film ever im still laughing at it and it was a brill film its a must watch

watch Pineapple Express last night prop da funniest film ever im still laughing at it and it was a brill film its a must watch

I didn't enjoy it at all...didn't watch it all, but I might get around to it!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Gran Torino: Thought it was good, but by no means great.

The International: Dunno if it was because I was too tired when I started watching it, but frankly, I thought it was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Watched Pearl Harbour the other day. It was alright, not an overly bad film. I'm starting to like Josh Harnett as an actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watching a load of basil rathbone sherlock holmes.

win :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

'Il y a longtemps que je t'aime' (I've Loved You So Long) is a drama written and directed by Philippe Claudel about a woman who goes to stay with her younger sister after a prolonged estrangement.

Kristin Scott Thomas is utterly convincing in the lead role. I can't wait to watch this again. I can't recommend it highly enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement