Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Watched Yes Man the other day, not really that good but not that bad that you would turn off the dvd either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Over the BH weekend I watched:

Revolutionary Road: I liked it I guess. I felt the insane mathematician was an insult to the audience though, like "in case you aren't getting the point of all this, here's a crazy person to explain it for you". In places I got the awkward feeling of "we're overacting this scene because we want on oscar for it". Haven't felt that since watching "Atonement"

Ghost Town: I really liked this movie if I'm honest. Gervais fits more into his "Extras" persona for this rather than "The Office". The humour was consistent and the story was affable. Overall if you liked Extras you'd love this, and I did.

Gran Torino: Finally got around to watching this. I liked it. I got the same feeling from Clints character in this that I got from Tommy in No Country, a sense of disconnection from reality. My only gripe was that kid "Thao", what a horrible actor, he literally pulled me out of being immersed in the movie on more than a couple of occasions.

Outlander: Meh, was looking for some Sci-Fi b-movie fluff. It's actually very well made, although mirrors, in a lot of ways, the Beowulf concept. Could of been a lot better, but if you watch it with low expectations you won't be disappointed. It's no cult success like "Pitch Black" but it's definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Atonement-One of the most depressing films i'd seen in a long time. Shot beautifully but i felt it could have been on for longer, i would've liked to have seen more of James McEvoy's character at war to be honest. That scene on the beach at Dunkirk was just amazing.

Once Upon a Time in America- Caught this on telly last week, first time i've seen it since watching it with my da when i was younger, could appreciate it much more now. Absolute masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭skaterboy

erm
    ive watched pulp fiction, taxi driver, mirrors, the wrestler and the reader in the past DAY!

Just watched Damnation Alley and after waiting nearly a decade to see it I have to say that it was thoroughly entertaining and well worth the wait. It really is a shame what happened to Jan Micheal Vincent in the years since, such a waste of talent.

• Advertisement

Just watched The Devils Advocate there on the box, jesus Keanu Reeves is just brutal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

The zombie diaries most realistic zombie movie i ever seen, not all the action sh!t, best zombie movie i ever seen....only bad thing its done cloverfield style with some man on his camera but u get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

Watched Choke Loved it !

Coraline 3D Really didnt like it - was so drawn out! Great concept but soooo painful

Oh and apart from the films - The Peep Show Boxset EXCELLENT :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

L31mr0d wrote: »

Ghost Town: I really liked this movie if I'm honest. Gervais fits more into his "Extras" persona for this rather than "The Office". The humour was consistent and the story was affable. Overall if you liked Extras you'd love this, and I did.

Ever Seen Ghost World?'Tis excellent !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yve wrote: »
    Watched Choke Loved it !

Coraline 3D Really didnt like it - was so drawn out! Great concept but soooo painful

I'd agree with that. Choke was great, really funny and Coraline was just boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yve wrote: »
    Ever Seen Ghost World

Yeah I've seen it. I thought Birch was overly dry, but Buscemi was excellent. For a "coming of age" flick it wasn't half bad, better than the overly hyped Juno at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Seen "The Signal" the other night.

Must be the most painful experiences iv ever had to sit through :(

Has anyone else seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Watched Pride and Glory on dvd, pretty predictable but still decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Looking through my DVD collection earlier, I realized I hadn't watched Pulp Fiction in about 5 years. I'd read about it, talked about it, but hadn't watched it, because it's long and I wanted to give it my full attention. Situation rectified. I think it still holds up rather well after 15 years.

"Bring out the Gimp."
    "Gimp's sleeping."
    "Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?"
    :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

eXistenZ

existenz-dvd1.jpg

Haha, mental!!! I enjoyed it though!
    Hey, tell me the truth...are we still in the game?

American Ninja - They don't make them like this anymore. A true 80s classic of trashy action cinema full of enough ninja acion to satisfy most.

The Twelve Chairs - One of the few Mel Brooks films which I truly liked. While not laugh out loud funny it does manage to raise a number of smiles and the performances are all excellent.

American Ninja 2: The Confrontation - A thoroughly entertaining slice of 80s cheese. Dudifokk is far more comfortable on camera this time round and spends the majority of the film slicing and dicing convincingly. It's the Godfater 2 of 80s American Ninja films.

Wasabi - Jean Reno and Luc Besson reunite for Leon 2. While not exactly a sequel to their classic it does bear some striking similarities to Leon though Wasabi is a far more humorous film. Reno is excellent as usual and the action is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Rambo(2008)-I saw it for the first time last time.Loved the action scenes.It was a bit short imo but still a great film.9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I watched Ken Loach's 'My Name is Joe' last night for the first time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151691/. Superb film. Outstanding performances - especially from Peter Mullen and Louise Goodall (the two lead roles). Harrowing stuff.

American Ninja - They don't make them like this anymore. A true 80s classic of trashy action cinema full of enough ninja acion to satisfy most.

The Twelve Chairs - One of the few Mel Brooks films which I truly liked. While not laugh out loud funny it does manage to raise a number of smiles and the performances are all excellent.

American Ninja 2: The Confrontation - A thoroughly entertaining slice of 80s cheese. Dudifokk is far more comfortable on camera this time round and spends the majority of the film slicing and dicing convincingly. It's the Godfater 2 of 80s American Ninja films.

Wasabi - Jean Reno and Luc Besson reunite for Leon 2. While not exactly a sequel to their classic it does bear some striking similarities to Leon though Wasabi is a far more humorous film. Reno is excellent as usual and the action is top notch.

Dudikoff at his best, the buckethead fight scene was mesmerising.

Dudikoff at his best, the buckethead fight scene was mesmerising.

I think part 2 is a much better film, Dudikoff seems far too timid and meek in the first film. By part 2 he had more experience and just came across far more natural.

Anyway in the past day I have watched:

Drag Me to Hell - Pure Raimi magic. I laughed my ass off and enjoyed every single minute. A friend who was with me said that I enjoyed far too much and laughed far more than anyone else in the cinema, so much so that people were giving me odd looks as I left. While not quite Evil Dead 2 quality it was'nt far off and I can see Drag becoming one of those films I keep going back to. Welcome back Sam, I sure as hell missed ya.

Doctor Mordrid - Obvious intended as a Doctor Strange adaptation until Band lost the rights the film remains an entertaining 70 minutes with the always excellent Jeffrey Combs giving it his all. While dated the effects especially the stop motion dinosaur fight still dazzle. While extremely hard to come by I highly recommend the film to fans of obscure cinema.

The Stuff - A film about killer desert from master of the high concept Larry Cohen and starring the criminally underrated Michael Moriarty the Stuff is a true classic. One of the most entertaining and original filsm I have had the pleasure of watching in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

RocknRolla - typical Guy Ritchie fayre, which I enjoyed.

Seven Pounds - uhm.. it was so-so I guess. I suppose not much can be expected from a Will Smith flick :)

Deathsport - A rather mediocre sequel to the great Death Race 2000. The onlything htat both films have in common is David Carradine and if it were not for the curio value and the films obscurity then chances are the film would be all but forgotten. The films only real redeeming value are the numerous impressive explosions which are very There's a remake in the works and word is that it will eb the film Lee and Coburn intended it to be.

Circle of Iron - Another David Carradien Curio. Based onb a stroy by Bruce Lee and James Coburn it's a rather odd mix of martial arts and Eastern philosophy. The fight scenes are few and far between and the film does drag in places but overall there are much worse ways to spend a hundred minutes. There's a remake in the works and word is that it will be the film Lee and Coburn originally intended it to be.

The Midnight Meat Train - Lionsgate really made a balls of this one. After making one of the most refreshing, entertaining and original horror films in years they opent he film in a hundred dollar cinemas in America and straight to video everywhere else. This from a company who had just got a 360 million dollar credit line but who seem to be trying to banish the forget the studios history as a genre studio in favour of making mainstream trash such as the Tyler Perry films. Peter Block the former president of acquisitions at Lionsgate was replaced by Joe Drake months before the films original release and in time honoured tradition Drake set about trashing everything of Block's. Which was a travesty as this is easily the horror film of the past decade. It's chilling, laugh out loud funny at times and the Blu Ray looks stunning. Ted Raimi's
    death scene is perhaps the gretest death scene ever, even though the cgi blood looks terrible at times.
    Bradley Cooper long one of my favourite actors is absolutly fantastic in this and Vinnie Jones is absolutly chilling.

Here's a cut version of the scene as the uncit version is nowhere to be found on youtube

Awake

awake.jpg

Meh, this film really didn't grab me at all. I was advised not to watch it, but that never stops me.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I watched Ken Loach's 'My Name is Joe' last night for the first time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151691/. Superb film. Outstanding performances - especially from Peter Mullen and Louise Goodall (the two lead roles). Harrowing stuff.

I have a Loach boxset on loan - 'Riff Raff', 'Raining Stones', 'Ladybird' and 'Land And Freedom'. Can't wait to watch these again!

Watched 'The Nines' last night. Interesting stuff. Quite clever. I'm gonna watch it again before giving it a proper appraisal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Just watched The Big Lebowsiki.

****ing ace. Dude.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Y.P.F. (Young People F*cking) - Not a movie of the blue variety, a story of 6 'couples' sexual encounters over the course of one night. Really well made, stories flow well together although they are all seperate tales. Although the characters dont get much screen time, the characters develop really well and it feels like you know them by the end of the flick. Plus, i think alot of people could relate tosome of the couples unique scenario's.

Role Models (again) - brilliant comedy, bit of a predictable finish but the rollercoaster ride of gags along the way make it acceptable.

Notorious - Movie about the life of Notorious B.I.G. Thought it was very well done, i wasnt expecting much from it given that it suffered from the Titanic syndrome......we all knew how it was going to end :)

Punisher War Zone - Senseless eloborate violence. Sweet.

Terminator Salvation - what a load of c0ck. I had such high hopes for this, overacted, scenes didnt flow together, to many tributes to the older flicks, too many replica scenes from the older flicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

watched Alpha Dog after getting it for €3.99 in HMV. Thought it was very good considering it has Justin Timberlake in it. Kind of a more gangster Entourage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

jasonorr wrote: »
    Awake

Meh, this film really didn't grab me at all. I was advised not to watch it, but that never stops me.

Such a disappointing movie... was looking good about a 1/3 of the way through with the twist but it turns into complete shít with that
    whole mother son death dream(whatever you want to call it)
    crap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

my bloody valentine 3d - good film all round
    slumdog millionaire - worst film of the year onto
    Defiance - what a bad film worst film off the year
    role models - not as good as i wanted it to be
    pushing daises s1 and s2 - great show sorry to see it gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Knocked Up-Saw it over the weekend for the first time.Had some funny moments that made me laugh alright.7/10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement