Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

observe & report in the cinema. I would like my money back please. fail.

national trease BoS
    tDK

@ *Simone*
    i love black comedies but my god O&R was an epic fail by Rogan. Didn't warm to it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

kaimera wrote: »
    observe & report in the cinema. I would like my money back please. fail.

Oh no, how can you say that! Not a fan of twisted black comedies then? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Superbad-Hilarious, funniest film I've watched in ages
    Rise of the Footsoldier-Very good, good fight scenes and acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Taken: ABsolute rubbish, one of the most ridiculous plotlines ive ever seen, neeson was ridiculous, it was jsut pure crap. Cant believe besson can do both Leon and this muck

Almost Famous: personal favourite, love the music, Kate Hudson and the story even if the main guys a little annoying. Seymour Hoffman is fantastic in it too.

Cloverfield: Enjoyable, pretty much what i exected. Dont think it slives up to its hype but i still enjoyed it.

Audition: Actually think this film gets better every time you watch it, tho its not the type of movie people are generally rushing back to see. Fantastic the way it changes tack halfway thru.

Superbad/Forgetting Sarah Marshall: LOVE both of them, bloody hilarious and imo better than any of the frat pack comedies anyday.

Short Cuts: Very good, great cast, great performances, you cant feel the 3 hours flying by its that enjoyable.

Battle Royal: Infinitely watchable, must have seen it nearly ten times at this stage, its savage.

Watching State of Play at the moment, seems quite good if a little by the numbers. Very all the presidents men-like so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I saw "What Dosen't Kill You" , it was ok...cast was pretty good. I also saw "Legally Blondes" LOL....i swear those English twins were 100% based on Sam and Amanda from Big Brother 8!!

Soon as i saw them, with all the pink and syncronised talking i thought...twinnes :-)
    It's absoulte fluff for 10-12 year olds girls...but the script writers did use genuine English actors and they did get the British dialogue correct, words we'd use, Beckham playing for Galaxy etc.

Franklyn....very good movie IMO, i also saw The Last Word with Wynona Rider...kinda interesting premise, guy writes suicide notes, he meets with people before they kill themselves to flesh out there final words and he gets paid etc.

Things is, that aspect could have been explored further...the morality of it, but it was more about the writer meeting one of his dead clients sister and the romance that develops and how he tries hide from her what he does for a living....it was ok but not great, Wynona looked amazing....i swear that woman just gets better with age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

'Taken'-I enjoyed it immensely, I know it was far fetched, no one's that hard or deadly at fighting except maybe Chuck Norris:D.
    'Drillbit Taylor'-just ok, my wee fella enjoyed it.
    'Cleaner'-I thought it was good, kept me interested the whole way through but didn't really like the way
    it ended up with his mate killing your one's husband 'cos he thought he'd forced her to have an abortion. It would've suited the storyline better if it'd turned out that he'd killed him to stop him spilling the beans
    'The Pianist'-Good, sad story. Slow moving though I don't mind that in Holocaust films...creates a believable atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I`m ashamed to say the last film I watched was Twilight.
    Seriously thinking about renting Changling next though.

I thought Twilight was HIGHLY overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

watched "Visitor Q". what a seriously messed up film. really enjoyed it :pac:

definitely not for everyone though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I thought Twilight was HIGHLY overrated.

Highly overrated hardly covers it.
    It was dire. Nothing happened, several times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Yes Man-thought it was quite funny and i enjoyed it so 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

a film that i have watched recently was ''rise of the footsolider''
    have to say not a bad film at all
    also saw ''the business'' there the other night

yous might thing its strange comming from a dub but i enjoy watching english films (only gangster ones and nothing that has to do with how the english treated us years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Last night I watched Shoot 'Em Up and Little Miss Sunshine.

Shoot 'Em Up is really great fun. There's not much of a story but then again it was intentionally written like that. Action, action and more action. Well worth a watch.

Little Miss Sunshine is a really fantastic film. Heartwarming and extremely hilarious in parts. I'd definitely check this one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scull2009

Fanboys - some v funny bits, especailly the fat boy from Balls of Fury, i could laugh at him all day. reminded me a bit of that film about kiss the band where the boys travel to see them - Detroit Rock City i think its called.
    Donnie Brasco - great show, undercover cop in mafia.
    Fast and Furious - alright, not that good, suppose you dont expect much when you go to see it.
    Glengarry Glen Ross - not much happens in it but some of the put downs and cursing in it are funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Saturday Night: Encounters at the End of the World, the new Werner Herzog documentary about the people of Antarctica. One particularly personal surprise: one of my favourite musicians, Henry Kaiser, didn't just co-write the soundtrack (as he did for Grizzly Man): he appears in the film, produced the film, and took all the spectacular underwater footage. :cool:

Sunday Night: Natural Born Killers, listening to Oliver Stone's commentary track. I didn't realise how important colour was e.g. when everything goes green, be prepared for something sick. It's been at least 5 years since I last watched it, and the DVD has no subtitles - so I didn't have any dialogue, just the ultra-violence. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Withnail and I - Definitely deserving of its cult status... Well recommended!

James and the giant peach - Watched this in anticipation of Coraline, pretty entertaining, but the actor who played James' bugged the ****e out of me for some reason... Especially in the musical sections!

Princess Mononoke - Trying to get my lady interested in anime and this seemed like as good a starting point as any... Essential stuff!

Sympathy for Lady Vengence - Great movie, but I found it to be quite disjointed... Even on the second viewing

Chocolate - Pretty ****ing ridiculous plot, but some fantastic choreography and set pieces more than made up for it

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Wolverine - really enjoyed this movie. Can't really understand the bad press I saw about the movie.

Splinter - A good horror movie. Liked the idea of the creature.

Baby Mama - just an average comedy. Expected to be better, especially as I enjoy Tina Fey in 30 rock.

The Ruins - Another horror film, and the creature is somewhat similar to the one in splinter. But still an enjoyable movie.

Bangkok Dangerous - the nick cage version. Definitely going to track down the original version, as I wasn't that impressed with this version.

Also rewatched Constantine and Police Academy.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Gonna watch Donnie Darko Director's Cut soon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Gonna watch Donnie Darko Director's Cut soon.....

Whatever you do, don't watch it with the director's commentary on... Damn near ruined the film for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

tman wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't watch it with the director's commentary on... Damn near ruined the film for me!

Sounds like common sense to me, I never would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Over the may weekend I watched:

The Darjeeling Limited: Not Wes Andersons best work to date imo
    The Spirit: Well I got around 40 minutes into it and I stopped once I realized i'd rather be watching a Matthew McConaughey RomCom instead.
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine: Best scene was the banter between Zero & Wolverine in the lumber yard, aside from that it was a let down
    Full Metal Jacket: Just had a hankerin for some Kubrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wolverine - semi-fail
    babel - fail
    Indy4 - fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭digital pimp

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: crap
    and it made $80 mill, so FOX are guna make more crap films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm not being smart but what did yis expect from Wolverine ?
    Of course it was going to be crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Wolverine Origins.... meh really not that impressed

Knocked Up... no where near as funny as everyone kept making it out to be.

Saw 2.... more of the same really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

VANTAGE POINT - pretty good
    SUPERBAD - funny as $#!t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Testosteron - a polish film about a bunch of guys at the afters of a wedding that went terribly wrong. It's got some funny moments. I wasn't blown away but I was happy enough that I watched it.

Mr. Brooks - It's actually one I watched a while back but I just want to plug it. Absolutely brilliant film and Kevin Costners best work to date. I loved it.

Hard Boiled - Everything just explodes. It's ridiculous. Every time a bullet is fired things just ****ing explode. It wasn't a great film. I know some people love it for what it is. I think it's Ok for what it is.

Wolverine: Origins - They messed everything up. They didn't make a single intelligent plot point, let alone film. The only thing they got right was Victor Creed aka Sabertooth. Every single character who appeared was wasted. And the ending and how
    the memory loss
    was explained was something from the hairy nether regions of bad fan fic.

Star Trek - A good entertaining film. I never liked Vulcans. They're sci-fis version of elves and I don't like elves. Having said that Spock was actually pretty good. I like the actor playing him so that helps. Kirk is great, McCoy is great, Scotty... pretty much the entire cast is rock solid. I was very impressed and I recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Nightmare on elm street: Very good horror, not a slasher like I was expecting.

Tell no one: Good thriller, if a little hard to follow at times.

Sunshine: Decent. Good up until
    they find the guy with all the burns in the sun chamber who goes mad
    then it turned crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Wolverine-I quite enjoyed it,Wasnt too bad 6/10

Never Back Down-I liked it but im drunk and cant remember too much much of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Watched A Scanner Darkly and Vantage Point.

I only managed to watch an hour of A Scanner Darkly before I got bored. It's great to look at but I was a little confused at times and completely lost. Might watch it again when I am more in the mood.

Vantage Point wasn't too bad except it did get a little annoying when it kept going over the same thing. Last half an hour was quite good though. Worth a watch and a pretty decent car chase in there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement