Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

TBH, I thought it was rubbish. Stupid storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Watched so far this weekend:

Flawless:
    meh...
    Star Trek: Amazing.... overuse of lens flares :D
    Princess Mononoke: Brilliant. Ghibli at its best.
    Dark City: Watched the directors cut on bluray. Excellent movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I latched Being john malkovich last night. Great film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Ultimate Force and Dirty Harry

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

This weekend i have watched in cinema:

Star Trek
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

On DVD:

The Van
    Superbad
    Final Fantasy:Advent Children
    Flushed Away

And i enjoyed all of them very much:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Star Trek - Really enjoyed this movie, one of the better films I've seen in the cinema in a while.

The Forbidden Kingdom - Jackie chan + jet li both appear in this movie. Story was okay, but it was the fight sequences that was the main reason I watched this film.

The Silence - An ingmar bergman movie. Still trying to figure out what to make of this one. The movie had my attention for all of the running time. But very little happens in the film. It focuses entirely on 2 sisters + a son of one of the sisters.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on TV last night. I have the dvd but there's something about watching it on telly. What a movie though. What a fooking movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I saw the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (fantastic final scene)... never seen it before but definitely going to see it in its entirety now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched The Initiation Of Sarah (2006)...remake of the original tv movie, it had Summer Glau...that's why i watched it :-) , twas meh....but the girls were hot.
    Powder Blue....rubbish, Jessica Biel does Showgirls...badly. Get her boobs out....meh, nothing to write home abou they are.

Biel i have always felt was totally overhyped in the looks dept., to me she was always very average and tomboy. Terrible film, dire script, Forrest Whittaker is a fine actor but he's wasted in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Nemesis: Yet another 90s action classic. Having waited years and years to finally see Nemesis I have to say that I was not disappointed. Some fantastic fights, fine performances and an early role for Tom Jane.

That's funny, I just managed to watch a copy about 4 days ago, I remember renting it when I was a kid.

Crazy movie and you can see some of the style was nicked for other films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Just watched In Bruges last night. Excellent film extremely enjoyable! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Greenstreet 2 - Hooligans, total pile of sh!t, truly terrible. When the director of the prison started talking about
    gladiators and it dawned on me that he was going to make them play football to see who would get released
    I just couldn't stop laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is Nemesis the 1993 film that thieved heavily from Terminator? Great over the top action film. Love the start of it especially, so incredibly 80's looking, with thousands of rounds expanded, random explosions, and plenty of duck n' rolls from the hero. It's actually ALWAYS on one of the free Movie channels, think it might be Movies4Men, if anyone's looking for it via legal means. I've watched parts of it about 8 times now for that reason :)

Watched Screamers 2: The Hunting last night. Was pretty good as far as B-Movies go, plenty of shooting, violence and a stupid storyline, and the special effects were a lot better than I've come to expect from these sort of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Last night I watched Choke online, I have yet to read the book but I thought it was a very good film. Not quite as complicated as Fight Club, but still quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Recently saw I love you, Man - funny in places. But a dvd film
    Also watched Cashern - very dark - great flic
    Star Trek tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

The Lost Boys - You could watch it just to get a laugh at the clothes! I remember being all excited about it as a kid but watching it recently, it's not great. I did like all the younger kids in it though, they were far more entertaining than the older teenagers & vampires

The Wedding Singer - Can't beat Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore together! Brilliant cringeworthy 80's soundtrack & fashion again!

Good Will Hunting - I must have watched this 10 times, still love it. Best & most natural script ever IMO. Best film from Robin Williams also I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Watched yesterday (day off work):

Sleuth - pretty poor considering the talent involved (Michael Caine, Jude Law, Kenneth Branagh directing). Caine was ok but the dialogue was awful and Jude Law put in a strange performance. Haven't seen the original from the 70's

High Fidelity - I've always enjoyed this movie, and Jack Black's funniest role in my opinion

Margot at The Wedding - excellent, despite my dislike of Nicole Kidman as an actress. Follow up from the director of the Squid and the Whale. Writing, directing and acting all top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Fago123 wrote: »
    High Fidelity - I've always enjoyed this movie, and Jack Black's funniest role in my opinion
    Saw that on TV too, great stuff.

Saw Fanboys aswell, hilarious, must see for Star Wars fans.
    Trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tferg20

Just saw observe and report. It kind of threw me, i was expecting another run of the mill seth rogen & in some ways it was. It touches however on darker themes not usually seen in his movies. Aside from that suprise though gots to give it 3/10. . . It's kinda crappy.

Oh & High fidelity aswell, The scene with the Boss is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist - At the start I thought I was going to hate it. Seemed to be trying too hard to be cool and "Indie" but the performances from a very talented young cast (especially Michael Cera and Kat Dennings in the lead roles) lift it above what could have been a wishy washy terrible movie. Worth a look 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mink wrote: »
    The Wedding Singer - Can't beat Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore together!

*ahem* that's not QUITE true:

50-first-dates-soundtrack-big.jpg

yeah less said about that the better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Cheri earlier this evening: a romantic drama set in Belle Époque France. Since it's scripted by Christopher Hampton, directed by Stephen Frears, and stars Michelle Pfeiffer, it was billed as a kind-of-sequel to Dangerous Liaisons. It's nowhere near as interesting, though, it's based on romantic novels by Collette. The art direction and costumes are excellent, Pfeiffer is great (except perhaps the accent), but the rest of the casting is a mess.

I took an instant dislike to "Cheri" (Rupert Friend), since he's one of those sexually-ambiguous "beardless boys" which didn't fit, I thought. A wet blanket who looks about 14, not someone to inspire the "grand passions" that the story requires. Then there's Kathy Bates as a former "courtesan" ... no, that doesn't work. Jim Sheridan had a small role too, as ... well, I have no idea, other than "loony".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Star Trek - great fun, highly entertaining....nice comedy, would liked to have seen more character development and also see more of the ship. I think Bones and Spock were the best....i didn't like the others as they were tooo different to the original cast.

I didn't mind plot holes...it's a rebbot, a much needed one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

Watched The Aviator last night. Had it on dvd and had been meaning to watch it for about 2 years now! I must say I liked it. Leonardo DiCaprio is really an excellent actor. Pity he lost alot of his cred for being such a heart-throb! Also thought he was very good at portraying OCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Last night i watched "Body of Lies" with Leonardo Di Caprio and Russell Crowe, i thought it was ok but have seen better films on the topic of terrorism, IMO it was painfully slow in parts.

Crossing Over: Wayne Kramer's latest and a truly enjoyable film. A lot of people have called it Crashlite but I thought it was a much more enjoyable and far less preachy film. While the film relied on a number of soincidences over all it's strong perofrmances and story pulled it through. The story behind the production is as interesting as the finished film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

The General
    brilliant film,when i first saw it a few years ago i never understood why it was in black and white but now i think its deadly in black and white:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

tferg20 wrote: »
    Just saw observe and report. It kind of threw me, i was expecting another run of the mill seth rogen & in some ways it was. It touches however on darker themes not usually seen in his movies. Aside from that suprise though gots to give it 3/10. . . It's kinda crappy.

Oh & High fidelity aswell, The scene with the Boss is awesome.

Have to agree... a very VERY odd film. Some funny(ish) lines but in general just not funny.

Star trek is a enjoyable nonsense. Im not a trekkie so treated it with a fresh mind and quite enjoyed it.

Angels and demons tonight..although one of my fav books im very interested to see what they do with what I thought was a poor ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Watched Philadelphia, thought Hanks was great in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Just saw Angels and Demons, didn't read the book. My brother informs me that there is changes but in essence, I don't think this could be polished. Definitely far better than the Da Vinci Code but still riddled with flaws, with far too much being looked over in favour of constantly unravelling plot turns and such which, though relatively impressive, are not enough to forgive. Overall it's enjoyable but still hasn't convinced me that Dan Brown can produce better calibre plots.

I particularly cringed at
    Ewan McGregor, playing a priest, parachuting out of a plane carrying anti-matter which is about to explode. It was just too ludicrous!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement