Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most politcally incorrect opinion?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

CoachBoone wrote: »
    I find teenagers who think that they're taste in music is the be all and end all are ridiculously annoying. Especially that Indie scene...

Funny thing is, you're taste in music is gonna change an awful amount of times in the next 5-10 years and probably a lot too after that.
    Well, it does seem to be the 'indie / scene' crowd who hold the title as being the most pretentious when it comes to music. They feel the need to adopt a certain sense of fashion - tight jeans, checkard shirt, leather jacket etc. - and stlye their hair in laughable ways, hence shoving it in peoples faces that they are well up on the latest Yeah |Yeah Yeahs album or the like. Im one to blabber on about music, to the annoyance of those who dont go beyond Spin 103.8 etc. I wouldnt insult anyone's taste on music, but at the same time, when someone who's favourite band is some piece of commercial **** like Metallica or U2 says electronic music is simply 'pressing a button', I do get pissed off, and go on a bit of an offensive. I dont see myself as having a superior taste in music, but acknowledge that people who dont care much for music are quick to label anyone who has something of a passion for music as pretentious or a wannabee etc. Its more ignorance than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well, it does seem to be the 'indie / scene' crowd who hold the title as being the most pretentious when it comes to music. They feel the need to adopt a certain sense of fashion - tight jeans, checkard shirt, leather jacket etc. - and stlye their hair in laughable ways, hence shoving it in peoples faces that they are well up on the latest Yeah |Yeah Yeahs album or the like. Im one to blabber on about music, to the annoyance of those who dont go beyond Spin 103.8 etc. I wouldnt insult anyone's taste on music, but at the same time, when someone who's favourite band is some piece of commercial **** like Metallica or U2 says electronic music is simply 'pressing a button', I do get pissed off, and go on a bit of an offensive. I dont see myself as having a superior taste in music, but acknowledge that people who dont care much for music are quick to label anyone who has something of a passion for music as pretentious or a wannabee etc. Its more ignorance than anything.

Pffft, Yeah Yeah Yeahs sold out so hard :rolleyes: and like, technically they weren't indie anyway, but yeah this one time I saw them at this guerilla gig in NY (actually, that was the first ever guerilla gig I think, it was definitely before it got all commercial anyway) and there was just me and ten other people there. <<<<I know a guy who actually comes out with **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Pffft, Yeah Yeah Yeahs sold out so hard :rolleyes: and like, technically they weren't indie anyway, but yeah this one time I saw them at this guerilla gig in NY (actually, that was the first ever guerilla gig I think, it was definitely before it got all commercial anyway) and there was just me and ten other people there. <<<<I know a guy who actually comes out with **** like that.

Down with the scene/indie trend going on. It's causing a rise in bad hair and a revival of all the bad things from the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

CoachBoone wrote: »
    I find teenagers who think that they're taste in music is the be all and end all are ridiculously annoying. Especially that Indie scene...

Funny thing is, you're taste in music is gonna change an awful amount of times in the next 5-10 years and probably a lot too after that.

True, very true, but I also think it's natural for teenagers to find a group to fit into and adapt traits that make them feel part of that group (some more than others, mind). So you get something like a certain music scene where all you have to do to 'fit in' is like certain bands and dress a certain way. It's just herd/pack mentality , I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

The whole "commercial" thing drives me insane!! I hate it when people come out with things like "oh yeah I used to like them before they went all commercial"
    Its so ridiculous, as long as they're still making good music does it really matter whether they're playing to 100 or 1000. Also, surely the whole aim of music is to share it with the rest of the world, not just a select few...
    Also drives me insane the way people always want to put a particular label or genre onto music and ahve to stick the that genre religeously. I was at a party the other day and two guys beside me spent a good 20 minutes debating whether some band were emo enough....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Acacia wrote: »
    True, very true, but I also think it's natural for teenagers to find a group to fit into and adapt traits that make them feel part of that group (some more than others, mind). So you get something like a certain music scene where all you have to do to 'fit in' is like certain bands and dress a certain way. It's just herd/pack mentality , I guess.
    Sheepishness, just reflecting us animals really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

-Els- wrote: »
    The whole "commercial" thing drives me insane!! I hate it when people come out with things like "oh yeah I used to like them before they went all commercial"
    Its so ridiculous, as long as they're still making good music does it really matter whether they're playing to 100 or 1000.
    Nope.

Thing is, what is generally implied by saying a band has "gone commercial", is that they've stopped making good music and made their sound more accessible so that their label can sell more records and make more money. Though the phrase is overused and used out of context by some.

Advertisement