Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most politcally incorrect opinion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

klonere wrote: »
    My reason for disliking Kings of Leon was an interview they did on TV a while ago. It went something like this:

Interviewer: So tell me, how did you come up with the infamous chorus for your NO.1 hit song 'Sex On Fire'?
    Dude1: Well, I was like, singing it over and over again, trying different nouns-
    Dude2: Random nouns!
    Dude1: Yeah, haha, and we were finishing up and I sung 'sex' for a joke, but it like, kinda kinda sounded catchy...I don't know if it has anything to do with the song *dopey smiley face*
    Dude2: What is the song about anyway ahaha-
    Dude1: I dunno *they both burst out laughing*

So your telling me its not about anything? You were just trying random nouns until you hit on one that would sound catchy, maybe even a bit of shock value? Not one that would make sense in any way at all? Its not really my scene anyway the whole alt.rock thing. Its so...boring and meh. So samey samey. And if I read the words 'delightful', 'eclectic' and 'electro-pop' in a music review again I swear, I will tear it out. Every second bloody new band getting hyped up by NME, The Ticket, Q are from the exact same vein. I mean the BBC's Sound of 200X polls have become so scarily accurate that I've given up listening to the 'next big thing' bands because every year they all inevitably the same or very similar.

My 2 cents.

A lot of songs aren't really about anything, you do know that.

What do you listen to, are you sure the songs always have a message in them?

And I can't beleive you dislike a band just because of one interview they did. Thats silly. You like a band because of their music, thats what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why?

You said it was better that Teenagers was in the charts than something else, indicating that, to a certain extent at least, you value the band's popularity. :)

There's a huge debate to be had about music and business, corporate culture, selling out, the intent behind bands releasing music etc. When it comes to a global stage and the big record labels, there's no such thing as simple honest promotion.

Why? I dunno, I kinda have a problem with that whole "Culture".

Now you're just picking at it :), the fact that I liked the fact they were in the charts meant I valued the band's popularity over whatever else was in the chart. Maybe I should have been a little clearer, I'm glad they were becoming popular, I think its pretty selfish for people to want to feel exclusive in what they listen to (There are a surprising amount of people I know who have this mentality, one person would deliberately go off a band if someone else he knew personally was listening to them).

And its a debate to be left for elsewhere :). Anything regarding the music industry is so hopelessly convoluted now (Increasingly the Irish one, and their current dealings with Eircom and The Pirate Bay). Promotion is promotion, be it honest or not. Another thing I dislike is people valuing artistic integrity over decently produced music (Take To The Skies-Enter Shikari being a pretty decent example, they did it their own way, which I appreciate, but the album doesnt sound great, like the songs are good, and the instrumentation is good, but if they had signed to a label (or at least spent more money on it), they would have had a complete blinder of an album, same with a lot of punk music, it may be a good song, but it can sound diabolical {My inner audiophile :)}), I do think some integrity is important, but one must appreciate that bands commit their lives to music, and to expect them to end up with very small monetary rewards is kinda harsh. If your gonna commit your life to a band, I really dont see the problem with a bit of dishonest self promotion if it means you'll have a comfortable life when not on tour........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Holy off-topic thread Batman! :eek:

An File wrote: »
    Holy off-topic thread Batman! :eek:

Silence fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Fad wrote: »
    Another thing I dislike is people valuing artistic integrity over decently produced music.
    :eek:

Are you essentially saying you'd prefer bands to compromise their sound so that the quality of their recording be a bit better?

Also, I love the sound of lo-fi production....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 klonere

A lot of songs aren't really about anything, you do know that.

What do you listen to, are you sure the songs always have a message in them?

And I can't beleive you dislike a band just because of one interview they did. Thats silly. You like a band because of their music, thats what matters.

To clarify: I don't like Kings Of Leon because of their musical style. Personally I do try and listen to music with meaning. I prefer bands like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth, Ulver, Apex Twin, Katatonia, The Cure and Pain Of Salvation. But hey, I don't begrudge anybodies musical taste. Its possibly the most subjective thing in the world!

I like U2's new album:eek:
    *hides behind flame shield*

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    :eek:

Are you essentially saying you'd prefer bands to compromise their sound so that the quality of their recording be a bit better?

Also, I love the sound of lo-fi production....

No, I mean its not the the most important thing in the world to be "Indie" (In the real sense of the word).

Lo-Fi does suit some music, but it doesnt suit everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 klonere

No.Modern pop music usually has professional writers attempting to put a meaning in every song usually about love.....or love.......or love.
    What we need are less meaningful songs about zombie vampire bulldozers or somethin

Its called power metal.

Its called power metal.

Which is also known as cheesy wánk metal:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Get out *points to door*!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No cant say ive ever done that listening to it
    Whatever floats your boat though

Stev_o wrote: »
    Get out *points to door*!

I'm ever so apologetic :)
    No cant say ive ever done that listening to it
    Whatever floats your boat though

What songs about bare chested men slaying dragons doesnt get the "Blood Pumping"? WEIRDO........

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What songs about bare chested men slaying dragons doesnt get the "Blood Pumping"? WEIRDO........
    Ok you make a valid point i guess

*fap*fap*fap*fap*fap*fap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

To clarify: I don't like Kings Of Leon because of their musical style. Personally I do try and listen to music with meaning. I prefer bands like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth, Ulver, Apex Twin, Katatonia, The Cure and Pain Of Salvation. But hey, I don't begrudge anybodies musical taste. Its possibly the most subjective thing in the world!

I like U2's new album:eek:
    *hides behind flame shield*

I don't begrudge anyones music taste either. It's just ur post said that the reason you hated KOL was because of that interview, not because of their music style.

And I haven't heard U2's album yet so keep ahiding;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I started listening to them at a fairly appropriate age(Like reading Catcher In The Rye, if you read it at the wrong age, its really not that enjoyable)/time in my own life

Yeah, this is true, I did like em when I was about fifteen, sixteen (and also before they were very big over this side of t'Atlantic) and it does pull on the ole angst strings pretty effectively. If I listened to them for the first time now it'd probably be the last time
    I love their first album, which is alot rawer, and just generally better then anything else they wrote. Does that mean I dont like their older stuff? No, not at all, I just prefer the first album, then the second album, and after that the third.

I actually prefer the second one, I think they benefit from the extra bit of production

Its nice to get away from other stuff I like sometimes, Venetian Snare is an example, I really like listening the music, but its so intense it kinda leaves me all head-achey, same with stuff like Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge. I like really full on stuff like that, but you really have to be in the mood. Then I could shift to some lighter stuff, like Denali or Alanis.

Eeeeeewwwww

Also, political incorrectness anyone? How bout them gypsies stealing our jobs?

Yeah, this is true, I did like em when I was about fifteen, sixteen (and also before they were very big over this side of t'Atlantic) and it does pull on the ole angst strings pretty effectively. If I listened to them for the first time now it'd probably be the last time

I actually prefer the second one, I think they benefit from the extra bit of production

Eeeeeewwwww

While I really do appreciate production value, I think the songs are better on the first one.

Ewww? Miss Machine is a masterpiece (New album isnt great though)

While I really do appreciate production value, I think the songs are better on the first one.

Ewww? Miss Machine is a masterpiece (New album isnt great though)

Think the quality of the songs is much of a muchness, and yer man stopped screaming the incomprehensible lyrics to the point where it sounded like you were going to hear his lung or larynx plop onto the floor in the next verse.

See above for why I'll have to stand by my ewww btw ;)

Patrick Bateman is a hero.

See above for why I'll have to stand by my ewww btw ;)

Fair enough, care to explain it?:)

Fair enough, care to explain it?:)

Aesthetic objection to that kind of music :pac: don't give a hoot how technically good it is, there's better music I can listen to if I want my ears to bleed...though seeing as I spent a lot of my teenage years begging my male friends to PLEASE put on something else other than bloody Korn/Metallica/System/RATM I'm a little bit biased....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

Patrick Bateman is a hero.

i wish i was like him. ok he hates himself but on the outside hes so assured and false....id love to be like that.

Id like to stab the people who wrote/printed maths tables like seriously how f*cking small can they write formulas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hardly a controversial opinion, surely? ^ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There is this girl in my class (who shall go un-named) and she drives me up the wall. Pulls my hair, writes all over my work pulls the curls from my head. She gets annoyed then if you dont laugh at what she does. You would think she was a bully from the way she acts but she doesnt actually know shes doing any harm. Its just the way she is.

And this teacher who is a bit of a control freak. She yells if your holding the pencil wrong or havent got your work out in 5 seconds. She moves you all over the classroom and glares if you ask why she is wasting ten minutes of the class when ya werent doing any harm where ya were.

I could go on and on.

Nice thread.!:D

hardly a controversial opinion, surely? ^ :P

Have you tried to use those tables when your tried? It's not even readable it's just a black smudge and that's supposed to be fine!:mad:

Stev_o wrote: »
    Have you tried to use those tables when your tried? It's not even readable it's just a black smudge and that's supposed to be fine!:mad:

dude, i agree! that's why i was saying it wasn't a very controversial or politically correct opinion, those things are fucking awful!

and actually, i dont get why more chicks don't shave their heads. it's awesome, and for some reason, if a chick shaves her head, people just stare. **** off, it's a hairstyle. it's easy to live with, looks pretty cool, feels awesome and did i mention how easy it is?! no, im not having ****ing chemotherapy and no im not some skinhead/bootboy idiot. im just a chick whose head is shaved.

dude, i agree! that's why i was saying it wasn't a very controversial or politically correct opinion, those things are fucking awful!

and actually, i dont get why more chicks don't shave their heads. it's awesome, and for some reason, if a chick shaves her head, people just stare. **** off, it's a hairstyle. it's easy to live with, looks pretty cool, feels awesome and did i mention how easy it is?! no, im not having ****ing chemotherapy and no im not some skinhead/bootboy idiot. im just a chick whose head is shaved.

People stare coz it's unusual :P I think it looks savage on a girl though (fr'instance Natalie Portman). But aren't you cold?

nah, not cold, i don't feel that so much, though i did sneeze about 30 times after my surf last night, im curious to see if it happens again today (ie, does it have anything to do with the lack of anything on my head). and most of the time wehn im out, (cos i dont go out that much), it's for work, in which case, i wear a nice hat, and when im out with mates, ill wear a beanie, although it in combo with my hair, kinda turns into velcro, so im forever readjusting it.

out drinking though... alcohol+hat inevitably is gonna end up in no hat, so i didnt wear it on paddy's night... and oh dear lord, did i get stared at, and everytime i passed a group of girls, they all started pointing me out and giggling and going 'liekOMG' or to that general effect. girls infinitely more than guys though.

out drinking though... alcohol+hat inevitably is gonna end up in no hat, so i didnt wear it on paddy's night... and oh dear lord, did i get stared at, and everytime i passed a group of girls, they all started pointing me out and giggling and going 'liekOMG' or to that general effect. girls infinitely more than guys though.

Girls are mean. I used to get stared at for having pink hair but I used to forget I had it and I'd think I knew the starer so I'd give them a big smile and then get half way down the street and go "Hang on a second! That bitch!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

I find teenagers who think that they're taste in music is the be all and end all are ridiculously annoying. Especially that Indie scene...

Funny thing is, you're taste in music is gonna change an awful amount of times in the next 5-10 years and probably a lot too after that.

Advertisement