Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most politcally incorrect opinion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Acacia wrote: »
    The millions of records they sold would indicate that yes, people do like them. :pac:
    Ya, those who just like to have a few CDs floating about the house or in the car....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Fad wrote: »
    I'd typically get that response from some who likes DMX or some fecal deposit like that :)

Forgive my ignorance, but who are DMX? :)
    Ya, those who just like to have a few CDs floating about the house or in the car....

:confused:

What you mean? people that don't really like music?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Forgive my ignorance, but who are DMX? :)

What you mean? people that don't really like music?

Some awful rap group.....

Alot of people who dont really like music would kinda like U2 KOL etcetc

Some awful rap group.....

Thanks. Oh yeah, I know what you mean, it's more background noise than actual music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm tempted to post what would be viewed as extreme musical elitism....

I won't though.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote: »

I won't though.

Go for it, it is an opinion thread :)

I won't though.

Sure, it's the internet- it's all about musical elitism here!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

just got happiness in magazines by graham coxon, excellent stuff :)

I quite enjoyed some of coldplay's earlier stuff and have their first three albums, so shoot me?

To be honest plagiarism in music doesn't bother me, I consider mickey mouse copyright laws to be a much bigger problem... I honestly couldn't care if the 'original creator' (whatever that means) loses out, I'm not interested in music's origins, just in listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I'd typically get that response from some who likes DMX or some fecal deposit like that :)

Sorry but where the hood at.............

Well....
    Thanks. Oh yeah, I know what you mean, it's more background noise than actual music.
    This amuses me slightly. Looking down on music and people who like said music despite admitting to liking a band who you probably like for exactly the same reason these people like those bands.

"Exactly the same reason?", you ask? Yup, MCR are the same idea as any other popular band with regular slots on MTV. Doing nothing new, churning out the same kinda stuff other bands did before them. They are nothing more than a product, a machine making accessible songs for the masses, using the same predictable chord progressions etc. that have made the music industry millions in the past and present.

Now you may be thinking that's not fair, that even if the songs aren't all that original, it doesn't make them bad. That just because they're not doing something crazily experimental, doesn't make them less valid as a band. That if you like the songs, you like the songs and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

And you'd be right, it's just... that isn't being into music, IMHO.

Almost everyone likes music to a certain extent. But there's liking the latest popular, accessible tunes, and there's really being into music - seeking out different genres, not caring what's current, challenging oneself rather than playing it safe and not stepping outside a comfortable boundary.

Now were there some kind of system of classifying how "into music" you were, you might be a step above most of your peers, but I'd contest that you wouldn't be much ahead of them if you'd rate MCR highly. With the extraordinary wealth of music out there, I find it hard to believe that anyone with a solid interest in music would rate their tired, unoriginal brand of commercial pop-punk in any way higher than mediocre.

I used to look down on people who weren't into music according to my definition. I don't anymore, I just accept that most people just aren't very into their music, they just like whatever's marketed towards them (with very slight discrimination, certain groups liking pop, others rap, others indie, others metalcore etc.) and they're happy with that. However, I see music as more of a challenge, an attempt to experience and appreciate as many different sounds as possible.

Hmm... what was the point of that again? Oh yeah, the claim that some people aren't really into music while admitting to liking MCR :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

nice post JC :D

I love getting new and weird stuff. I love beats that don't do what I expected, I love having to work to bop along to a song. I'm currently getting about an album a week and I love getting all the new sounds :)

as mentioned before, newest is happiness in magazines by graham coxon :) Been enjoying some weird stuff by the who as well. Finally started getting daft punk albums, fun :) Got an album by creedence recently too :D

do I qualify as being into music? =P I wouldn't count myself as being into music really, to be honest... I really enjoy music, listening to it and hearing new (good) things, but I wouldn't generally go beyond enjoying at a surface level and wouldn't generally research new music too much, preferring to just hear it and then decide if I like it. The music I rate highest is the music that grows on me, and the lowest is the music that shrinks on me and suffers badly from 'sameness' and being overplayed.

Hmm... what was the point of that again? Oh yeah, the claim that some people aren't really into music while admitting to liking MCR :pac:

I agree with everything you've written, though (even the part about MCR :P). I don't think people who like Kings of Leon or U2 aren't into music- I was just clarifying what an earlier poster said. :D In fact, I was going to write something similar to your post in response to this >>>

But decided to leave it as I've had this argument too many times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well....

This amuses me slightly. Looking down on music and people who like said music despite admitting to liking a band who you probably like for exactly the same reason these people like those bands.

Almost everyone likes music to a certain extent. But there's liking the latest popular, accessible tunes, and there's really being into music - seeking out different genres, not caring what's current, challenging oneself rather than playing it safe and not stepping outside a comfortable boundary.

Now were there some kind of system of classifying how "into music" you were, you might be a step above most of your peers, but I'd contest that you wouldn't be much ahead of them if you'd rate MCR highly. With the extraordinary wealth of music out there, I find it hard to believe that anyone with a solid interest in music would rate their tired, unoriginal brand of commercial pop-punk in any way higher than mediocre.

Yeah but seeking out the progressive, experimental stuff doesn't neccesarily make you any more "into" music if you're doing it for the sake of it (not saying that you in particular are of course). Personally I spend a lot of time listening to music and I'd say I have a moderately diverse taste and collection (Beefheart, Battles, Sigur Ros, Arvo Part, Animal Collective, Foals, Crystal Castles, Joanna Newsom, Santogold, Velvet Underground, Gogol Bodello etc). But I still like throwing on...well maybe not MCR-but say an album like Never Mind The Bollocks or Aha Shake Heartbreak or Fight Like Apes or Hot Fuss or even *furtive glance* American Idiot every once in a while. Just because the music is "easier" doesn't mean it's worse neccesarily, there's more than one function of music and sometimes you just wanna RAWK :p M'eh, I've also lost sight of my point

Doesn't have to be progressive or experimental, currently I'm getting into a load of electronic music, a lot of it is very dancey and not very hard to listen to, but it's territory I've never ventured into before (and not a lot of people I know have really, pity).

And don't misinterpret what I've written as being in some way condescending. God knows I was one hell of a condescending, elitist 15-17 year old with all the obscure music I liked back then (and still do), but I don't take that attitude any more. Liking something which is simple or popular doesn't devalue one's taste in music.

The only thing I would say is that there's so much RAWKIN music out there that wasn't ever in the charts, or heavily marketed at you in any way. I don't generally like supporting hugely popular bands because I believe that most are popular due to intensive advertising and imposition on people as opposed to a lot of people hearing them in an unbiased atmosphere and liking them. That's more a personal thing than anything to do with music itself though.

Yeah but seeking out the progressive, experimental stuff doesn't neccesarily make you any more "into" music if you're doing it for the sake of it (not saying that you in particular are of course). Personally I spend a lot of time listening to music and I'd say I have a moderately diverse taste and collection (Beefheart, Battles, Sigur Ros, Arvo Part, Animal Collective, Foals, Crystal Castles, Joanna Newsom, Santogold, Velvet Underground, Gogol Bodello etc). But I still like throwing on...well maybe not MCR-but say an album like Never Mind The Bollocks or Aha Shake Heartbreak or Fight Like Apes or Hot Fuss or even *furtive glance* American Idiot every once in a while. Just because the music is "easier" doesn't mean it's worse neccesarily, there's more than one function of music and sometimes you just wanna RAWK :p M'eh, I've also lost sight of my point

That it doesn't matter how complicated a piece as long as it fullfills it's aim to entertain people?

My own views are complicated, im a musician and as such i hate music now.... Basically im my own worse enemy, i over analysis music and will judge a piece by what is going on and who's playing what etc. Usually if i find a decent song ill go tab it out and thus remove the veal of mystery that surrounded it thus making it ****. :P There's nothing worse then finding out that a song you really like has been really lazily written.

Now im at the point where i find it so hard to find music that challenges me and suits my demands of melody and good musicianship.

Would it be so hard to lay off your demands? Maybe expand your horizons and try listening to a totally different genre of music?

There's no such thing as strictly defined good and bad musicianship IMO. Any criteria there are are just meaningless formalism IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My my, the pretence is strong on this thread.

Would it be so hard to lay off your demands? Maybe expand your horizons and try listening to a totally different genre of music?

There's no such thing as strictly defined good and bad musicianship IMO. Any criteria there are are just meaningless formalism IMO.

Nope it's emended in my head, like i branch out to different genres but there is certain genre's that just don't interest me you know. At the moment im going through a phase of Hans Zimmer a composer who does scores for movies such as Gladiator, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Lion King, Pearl Harbour etc.

Piste wrote: »
    My my, the pretence is strong on this thread.
    I don't really see that tbh.

In any case, dismissing things as pretentious is in itself pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

WHAT? Thought basically everyone liked Kings of Leon!!!

which means that there is a small and bitter group who do hate them, on grounds of their popularity :pac:

Never knew that the queen was head of state of New Zealand. So basically they are part of the british empire??

yep, nz and australia are both part of hte british empire. if i was to get citizenship over here, i'd have to swear an oath of allegiance to the queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 klonere

My reason for disliking Kings of Leon was an interview they did on TV a while ago. It went something like this:

Interviewer: So tell me, how did you come up with the infamous chorus for your NO.1 hit song 'Sex On Fire'?
    Dude1: Well, I was like, singing it over and over again, trying different nouns-
    Dude2: Random nouns!
    Dude1: Yeah, haha, and we were finishing up and I sung 'sex' for a joke, but it like, kinda kinda sounded catchy...I don't know if it has anything to do with the song *dopey smiley face*
    Dude2: What is the song about anyway ahaha-
    Dude1: I dunno *they both burst out laughing*

So your telling me its not about anything? You were just trying random nouns until you hit on one that would sound catchy, maybe even a bit of shock value? Not one that would make sense in any way at all? Its not really my scene anyway the whole alt.rock thing. Its so...boring and meh. So samey samey. And if I read the words 'delightful', 'eclectic' and 'electro-pop' in a music review again I swear, I will tear it out. Every second bloody new band getting hyped up by NME, The Ticket, Q are from the exact same vein. I mean the BBC's Sound of 200X polls have become so scarily accurate that I've given up listening to the 'next big thing' bands because every year they all inevitably the same or very similar.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

klonere wrote: »
    My reason for disliking Kings of Leon was an interview they did on TV a while ago. It went something like this:

Interviewer: So tell me, how did you come up with the infamous chorus for your NO.1 hit song 'Sex On Fire'?
    Dude1: Well, I was like, singing it over and over again, trying different nouns-
    Dude2: Random nouns!
    Dude1: Yeah, haha, and we were finishing up and I sung 'sex' for a joke, but it like, kinda kinda sounded catchy...I don't know if it has anything to do with the song *dopey smiley face*
    Dude2: What is the song about anyway ahaha-
    Dude1: I dunno *they both burst out laughing*

So your telling me its not about anything? You were just trying random nouns until you hit on one that would sound catchy, maybe even a bit of shock value? Not one that would make sense in any way at all? Its not really my scene anyway the whole alt.rock thing. Its so...boring and meh. So samey samey. And if I read the words 'delightful', 'eclectic' and 'electro-pop' in a music review again I swear, I will tear it out. Every second bloody new band getting hyped up by NME, The Ticket, Q are from the exact same vein. I mean the BBC's Sound of 200X polls have become so scarily accurate that I've given up listening to the 'next big thing' bands because every year they all inevitably the same or very similar.

My 2 cents.
    You do realise a vast amount of songs would be written in this way?

Whatever he wrote in his first looooong post

Thing is though, I really dont look down on people who like stuff like U2 etc, I prefer the fact that theyre listening to that, over say really really awful gangster rap...

Anyway about MCR, Ive liked them for a while (Not before they were famous, but a good while before they got any real promotion in Ireland, and before I actually had music channels on TV, but that's besides the point). I like them, theyre easily my favourite band, why? Because:
    1. I started listening to them at a fairly appropriate age(Like reading Catcher In The Rye, if you read it at the wrong age, its really not that enjoyable)/time in my own life
    2. They act as a spring board getting me into a wealth of other band, not nessecarily in the same scene
    3. The fact that I liked them, made it crystal clear that I didnt need to like any of the music my peers did, which at the wasnt entirely clear to me (Things were'nt exactly going great in life....how brilliantly emo :pac:)

I'm not here trying to defend the band, or their choices, but I like their music. I love their first album, which is alot rawer, and just generally better then anything else they wrote. Does that mean I dont like their older stuff? No, not at all, I just prefer the first album, then the second album, and after that the third. I understand that people think that its just whiney shíte, fair enough, I still enjoy it. I'll repeat endlessly that music doesnt have to be upbeat the entire time.

I remember when The Black Parade came out, I do remember cringing slightly any time it was on TV, but looking back on it, I think it was so much better to have say Teenagers doing well in the charts, than whatever it was competing against at the time.

For the past week or so I've been going through my bi-annual MCR phase where I'll listen to them for mot of the time. Its great, its just simple (IMO) well written music that I happen to enjoy. Its nice to get away from other stuff I like sometimes, Venetian Snare is an example, I really like listening the music, but its so intense it kinda leaves me all head-achey, same with stuff like Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge. I like really full on stuff like that, but you really have to be in the mood. Then I could shift to some lighter stuff, like Denali or Alanis.

Point is though, that I dont care how marketable music is, I dont give a flying fúck how mainstream it is. I just have to enjoy it. I dont care how heavy a rotation a band I like has on MTV, theyre getting little or no money from me, I'd rather see them making whatever they can, because everyone knows the music industry is in the fúcking toilet at the moment.

There is so much music out there that I'm yet to find, and some day I'll get to it, but for the moment, I'm pretty content to listen to what I have now, however generic and shíte it is, its mine :).

[I COULD reread this and improve its coherency/relevance, but I'm faaaaar too hungover to try, might revise it later]

• Registered Users Posts: 17 klonere

You do realise a vast amount of songs would be written in this way?

Hence the problem with modern pop music.

Not all songs have a really deep meaning, and not all songs NEED to have a meaning. I'd rather have a song that's catchy and is well written, that has NO MEANING, rather than a really deep song that has no rhythm or hook. Math The Band, their songs have no substance at all, but theyre fun to listen to.

Thing is though, I really dont look down on people who like stuff like U2 etc, I prefer the fact that theyre listening to that, over say really really awful gangster rap...
    Ah right, so it's just the rap fans you look down on? :p
    I think it was so much better to have say Teenagers doing well in the charts, than whatever it was competing against at the time.

Point is though, that I dont care how marketable music is, I dont give a flying fúck how mainstream it is. I just have to enjoy it. I dont care how heavy a rotation a band I like has on MTV
    Contradiction much? :pac:

It's funny though. When you start to take a more than passing interest in a certain genre of music, it seems to automatically lead to some kind of subconscious prejudice.

Ah right, so it's just the rap fans you look down on? :p

Contradiction much? :pac:

It's funny though. When you start to take a more than passing interest in a certain genre of music, it seems to automatically lead to some kind of subconscious prejudice.

Not all rap fans, just ones who only like really just ridiculous gangster rap (Or "Crunk" *Shudder*)

I dont think its a contradiction, their rotation didnt affect my opinion of the band, took a bit of getting used to, seeing music I actually like on TV, sadly I dont really watch a huge amount of TV. (I remember the first time they played Welcome to the Black Parade publicly {Roof of a hotel in Vegas during the MTV awards} and hours after there were just floods of comments on their Myspace from "Hardcore" fans bitching that they did it, dont really see the problem in promotion tbh......)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No.Modern pop music usually has professional writers attempting to put a meaning in every song usually about love.....or love.......or love.
    What we need are less meaningful songs about zombie vampire bulldozers or somethin

Not all rap fans, just ones who only like really just ridiculous gangster rap (Or "Crunk" *Shudder*)
    Why?
    I dont think its a contradiction, their rotation didnt affect my opinion of the band, took a bit of getting used to, seeing music I actually like on TV
    You said it was better that Teenagers was in the charts than something else, indicating that, to a certain extent at least, you value the band's popularity. :)
    (I remember the first time they played Welcome to the Black Parade publicly {Roof of a hotel in Vegas during the MTV awards} and hours after there were just floods of comments on their Myspace from "Hardcore" fans bitching that they did it, dont really see the problem in promotion tbh......)
    There's a huge debate to be had about music and business, corporate culture, selling out, the intent behind bands releasing music etc. When it comes to a global stage and the big record labels, there's no such thing as simple honest promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not all songs have a really deep meaning, and not all songs NEED to have a meaning. I'd rather have a song that's catchy and is well written, that has NO MEANING, rather than a really deep song that has no rhythm or hook.

+1.
    My stance on music: if it sounds good, I like it.
    I don't care how mainstream/obscure it is, or how deep/silly it is - a good song is a good song.

Someone mentioned MCR - I have ALWAYS detested them. Their lead "singer" cannot sing to save his life and from interviews I've read seems like a cocky pretentious bastard aswell.

Advertisement