Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 2 (Wednesday onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Got some nature advice via email just now in this cold weather..

Heavy Snowfalls and our native birds are finding food scarce.

Please go to the pet shop and buy a mesh and a bag of nuts for our feathered friends.

There is no finer sight on a winter's morning than a pair of tits around your nutbag!

lol........:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The situation currently.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=78164

*precip type charts have some inaccuracies so don't take 100% at face value

Weather advisory for parts of the North now

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

things look well for tonight/tomorrow morning.
    i'll be going with what supercell says though, he's been right so far about things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

darkman2 wrote: »
    The situation currently.

the met office have added ulster to their warning areas...there are so many different charts...met eireann aren't giving any chance to anything wintry south but they have been known to change around closer to the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Supercell wrote: »
    Reading the GFS 6z, the precipitation timing is interesting.
    Norn Iron wil have the precip earlier in the night and probably will see snow throughout. For Dublin and the SE it doesnt arrive really until 5 or 6AM with peak intensity around midday.so may be a snow to sleet affair at sea level.
    850's are not as cold as earlier runs either, only -5 or so, that said is an Artic source..still, its very marginal again. I think it will be a nowcast scenario with all eyes to DP's in the north tonight.

Lol, I'm half afraid to even ask what people's opinions are on our chances of snow in Ardee, Co Louth over the next couple of days. The big snow event ye all experienced completely dodged us here, all we had was a heavy snowfall for all of 10 minutes yesterday that melted away practically before it hit the ground.

I see you say "Norn Iron will have the precip", I'm relatively near to NI.... but am I too far away from it to get snow? Am fiercely disappointed, would love my wee one to see snow before her third birthday (which is this day week).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Dew points will be below freezing universally across Ireland and the Irish sea. I don't see an issue there. Once it's below zero that's grand IMO.

Darkman, what are the chances that front on the FAX for Thursday could bring snow to Waterford? I'm guessing slim but sure it's worth askin....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nice and dry here now, so if we get a long fall of snow things should stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Snow tomorrow? or is it still too far away to call?

prectypeuktopo.png

The situation currently.

Weather advisory for parts of the North now

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html
    The precip type on NW can be flakey.
    Malin head is reporting rain at 3pm and 3c.

The m2 buoy where the polar air hasnt reached yet is already reporting a dewpoint of only +0.6 though.
    A good sign...

I hope I havent jinxed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone looking at the IR satelite image sequences for N Europe?
    That front to the north has very little to it and on its own would almost certainly fizzle out by the time its south of Donegal in the west imho.
    I assume all hope here is the convergence of the two features that causes things to pep up, at least i hope so.
    Interestingly looking at the cloud sequence that convergance would appear to be on track for accross the middle of the country with that being the battlegound and probabably best precip totals.
    Our man in Portmarnock would be happy with that I reckon :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Latest GFS run gives snow along the East coast and inland a bit right throughout the day. A bit of an upgrade I think. That system over England looks to come even closer. The two fronts could merge. An interesting day coming up!

As for Waterford, yeah your in with a shout. A good chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Davo D wrote: »
    Snow tomorrow? or is it still too far away to call?

prectypeuktopo.png

thats is totally at odds with what our national forecasters are saying...what would need to happen for this to occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

RTE Radio 1 just gave showers of sleet arriving in the North and pushing south with snow in places for tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone looking at the IR satelite image sequences for N Europe?
    That front to the north has very little to it and on its own would almost certainly fizzle out by the time its south of Donegal in the west imho.
    I assume all hope here is the convergence of the two features that causes things to pep up, at least i hope so.
    Interestingly looking at the cloud sequence that convergance would appear to be on track for accross the middle of the country with that being the battlegound and probabably best precip totals.
    Our man in Portmarnock would be happy with that I reckon :D
    i agree sc.seems the most likely outcomewe'll just have to wait and see.
    7wTRNZZyiigTY

Neither system seems to have much kick to them to be honest, I really hope that when they meet that things pep up otherwise at best we are looking at 1-2cm with maybe up to 5cm on higher ground. Thats barely a sprinkle.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some good cloud shots during this weather like the one below I took Monday

3252811879_1a290d1883.jpg

the system to the south has the most precip so i feel it'll be this clashing with the cold front (ie convergance)that causes things to get really interesting.as i say we'll and see.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=78164

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wouldn't rely too much on that radar - it's raining at Mailn Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking good for us in the north ,although I wont rely much on met eireann but then again I have no other choice!

Current Forecast MET EIREANN

04 February 2009 11:29

Today

Cold and breezy. Rain, and sleet over parts of Munster will largely die out this afternoon. Mainly dry elsewhere with some bright or sunny spells, and just the odd shower. Top afternoon temperatures only 3 to 6 Celsius, in a fresh and gusty easterly wind. Very cold this evening with frost and ice forming fairy quickly, and with some rain and sleet on the north coast.

Tonight will be very cold, with a widespread frost and icy roads. Also, a spell of rain and sleet will push down gradually from the north, to affect Ulster, north Connacht and north Leinster, and will fall as snow in places. Some scattered wintry showers are also likely on east facing coasts later. Lowest temperatures 0 to - 3 Celsius, in a strengthening northeasterly wind.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow Thursday will be bitterly cold, with fresh to strong and gusty north to northeast winds. Frost and ice will clear only slowly, and while there will be bright or sunny spells, scattered showers of hail, sleet and snow are expected, especially in parts of the northwest, and east. Top temperatures 2 to 5 Celsius.

3 Day Outlook

Wintry showers will affect northern, western and some eastern coastal counties on Thursday night, with further snowfall likely. Elsewhere will be dry with clear periods. It will be bitterly cold, with fresh north to northwest winds and penetrating frost leading to icy surfaces. Friday will remain very cold but northwest winds will moderate steadily. Many parts of the country will have spells of bright sunshine but wintry showers will persist in northern and western counties. There will be little change on Friday night; further wintry showers in the north and west, mostly clear elsewhere and with severe or very severe frost setting in widely as northwest winds slacken. Isolated wintry showers will trouble northern and northwestern coasts on Saturday but the rest of the country will be dry and largely sunny; temperatures will improve a little and winds will be light but it will still feel rather cold. Another hard frost will set in early on Saturday night under clear skies but rain, preceded by sleet or snow, will arrive in the west and southwest later. The mix of rain, sleet and snow will spread to remaining parts of the country during Sunday, with significant snowfall possible in parts of Ulster. A clearance will arrive on Sunday night, with showers affecting northern and western counties, while clearing skies bring frost and possibly ice to other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

you should do well pangea over the course of the next four days, if you don't then someone upstairs really doesn't like you;)

lol thanks nacho ,Mayo should get some too!
    Not gonna read much into significant snow for sunday as when met eireann use the word significant it usually is significantly wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Melted a fair bit in blessington during the day. Still lots left though. Roads are very slushy and slippery especially back roads.
    The radar wasnt the most reliable over last couple of days. Maybe it has trouble with the easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That northern cloud/airmass has arrived here now (Sligo) and just from looking at it, it wouldn't really expect anything out of it, tbh.

Not a lot of substance to it, no blizzards hiding in there :D

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wouldn't rely too much on that radar - it's raining at Mailn Head.
    oh i don't.im just highlighting were the precip is.looking for the meeting points of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Pangea wrote: »
    lol thanks nacho ,Mayo should get some too!
    Not gonna read much into significant snow for sunday as when met eireann use the word significant it usually is significantly wrong!
    Which is why ME have also used the word "possible"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea, what's it like where you are. according to the latest radar images you should be getting some precipitation right about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Will we get snow in kerry, on the limerick/kerry border?
    Sorry i don't understand the weather thingy's much

Pangea, what's it like where you are. according to the latest radar images you should be getting some precipitation right about now.
    Correct, Its drizzling rain here , the ground is a bit wet now.

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Will we get snow in kerry, on the limerick/kerry border?
    Sorry i don't understand the weather thingy's much

Not likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement