Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 2 (Wednesday onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Any chance of snow here tonight? It looks as if the precip will die out by the time the front reaches here.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

keep an eye on this website later tonight. it should gives a good indication as to whether the precipitation will become patchy as it moves down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ah It's just on the GFS and ECM the precip is joined.
    It wasnt yesterday.
    That is where my concern lies.
    Ergo they seem to be suggesting that the precip in the East is from the UK system.

If it's streamer precip,the charts are drawn wrong and yes it will be snow.

The netweather ones are just silly given that they have red in this area and stronger chances further north.
    Both the ECM and gfs have heavy precip down this way...how that could be an 80% chance of snow as opposed to 95% is beyond me if temps are to be what they are to be.

Struggling to get above 5c here today so far which augers well for when proper polar air comes down.

Nowcastery here we go-believe it if I see it,hope I havent jinxed it etc etc...

am surprised the met office haven't issued a warning for ulster...also per the charts don't think the precipitation will spread all the way south as far as cork but hope springs eternal!

it would be great if we got a polar low before this winter is over. it's been too long since we had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

keep an eye on this website later tonight. it should gives a good indication as to whether the precipitation will become patchy as it moves down.
    Good site Nacho, should give me a good indication on whats happening tonight, thanks

The uk system that they are all going on about elsewhere is not far off waterford and wexford now...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

will west dublin / kildare see any snow tonight / tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

cheers nacho , had lost that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

At the risk of being batterd to death........

Why are you all hoping for snow and freezing conditions?

I ilike snow as much as the next man but I don't like taking my life in my hands when driving the car (like on Monday night coming back from work at midnight) and worrying if the airport will be okay next week when I'm taking the kids to Disneland aris for a few days - probably the last hliday we will ever have.

I kind of like Spring, blue skies and sunshine with better driving conditions and less cases of hypothermia among the old and homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Raining here all morning in Kilkenny, not a scrap of snow in sight.

Im gutted :(

Still wondreing if I should travel to and from Dublin tonight or will this wet -freeze and make conditions as dangerous as they have been the last few evenings?

LET IT SNOW....

I live in the hills north of Kilkenny city, we still have snow on the ground, even drifts of 1 foot but an inch to 3 inches in places on the grass, road is still icy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

The attached charts look good:D

I know they are computer generated but they have been very good with the weather over the last few days.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/rart_frame.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Min wrote: »
    Why are you all hoping for snow and freezing condition

cos it's purdy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Issued at 04 February 2009 - 13:39
    Severe Weather Alert
    Cold and frosty in all areas overnight with icy roads. Some sleet and snow showers also mainly over Ulster, but also in parts of Connaught and north Leinster later tonight and along the east coast before morning.
    3 or 4 cms of snow possible.
    Valid from 1800 on 4/2/09 to 1000 on 5/2/09

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »

I ilike snow as much as the next man but I don't like taking my life in my hands when driving the car (like on Monday night coming back from work at midnight) and worrying if the airport will be okay next week when I'm taking the kids to Disneland aris for a few days - probably the last hliday we will ever have.

I kind of like Spring, blue skies and sunshine with better driving conditions and less cases of hypothermia among the old and homeless.

Well its the anticipation and the excitement that it brings , It is something that happens very rarely in this country and touches the inner child in everyone !

Just look at all the last post about the beginning of February, every one was engrossed in it , young and old , myself included !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmyskank

it would be great if we got a polar low before this winter is over. it's been too long since we had one.

Whats a polar low btw? Sorry for the ignoramce:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The uk system that they are all going on about elsewhere is not far off waterford and wexford now...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Temp 5C & Dewpoint 4C in Waterford now so if that comes overhead it's gonna be all rain.

it wont.
    But I agree-rain below 5000ft :D if it came through.
    It's causing the SE including here to be dull though which is no bad thing ahead of the polar invasion.

4.6/2.3 here

jimmyskank wrote: »
    Whats a polar low btw? Sorry for the ignoramce:cool:

a low that develop in a polar or arctic air mass. what's great about it is, we usually get widespread heavy snow for several hours in most parts of the country from it. with fronts from the north, like the one we are promised tonight, the precipitation tends not to be heavy and it may not fall as snow on lower levels at first. i will be bucking if that's the case here after what has happened during the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »

You are perfectly right there Z28 , and nobody wants to see accidents or the like, and certainly older people will suffer in this kind of weather , but on the other hand people in many other countries must survive and adopt to a much more severe climate than ours .

And imo its that stability in Irelands climate that draws people like me to this forum , everyone has their own preferances regarding weather , and any kind of severe (irish standards) weather be it snow/heat/storms etc will bring out the inner child in many people (even oldies like me lol).

There is nothing anyone can do to change nature , and we cant prevent what the elements throw at us , so this and other such sites may actually help make people more aware of any impending dangerous conditions .

So lets all drive carefully , look after the older folk , feed the birds etc ,
    and let the rest of us carry on with our hobby ....;) rant over:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

BB do you think there is much chance that it will get to Kilcock Co. Kildare. Netweather saying 80% for snow for Dublin tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

a low that develop in a polar or arctic air mass. what's great about it is, we usually get widespread heavy snow for several hours in most parts of the country from it. with fronts from the north, like the one we are promised tonight, the precipitation tends not to be heavy and it may not fall as snow on lower levels at first. i will be bucking if that's the case here after what has happened during the last couple of days
    So its wasnt a polar low this week? Is tonights a polar low?

• Advertisement

netweather also have snow for cork tomorrow in their map which is stretching things a bit in my opinion!

They're all based on the latest GFS run...weatheronline is anyway.

Now heres some homework for some of ye.
    That cold front where does it go tonight and tomorrow?
    Does it exit the country and do we end up in a proper polar origin flow?
    It all looks a bit messy.

Obviously if dp's are progged to be -2 or lower we are safe are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My main concern is will we even get precip here, or maybe we'll just get mild muck from the front to the south.
    Very interesting 24 hours coming up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Got some nature advice via email just now in this cold weather..

Heavy Snowfalls and our native birds are finding food scarce.

Please go to the pet shop and buy a mesh and a bag of nuts for our feathered friends.

There is no finer sight on a winter's morning than a pair of tits around your nutbag!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

brack0.gif

Nice :)

Dew points will be below freezing universally across Ireland and the Irish sea. I don't see an issue there. Once it's below zero that's grand IMO.

They're all based on the latest GFS run...weatheronline is anyway.

Now heres some homework for some of ye.
    That cold front where does it go tonight and tomorrow?
    Does it exit the country and do we end up in a proper polar origin flow?
    It all looks a bit messy.

Obviously if dp's are progged to be -2 or lower we are safe are they?

who do RTE use? they have a different forecast from weatheronline.

Supercell wrote: »
    My main concern is will we even get precip here, or maybe we'll just get mild muck from the front to the south.
    Very interesting 24 hours coming up.

Hopefully there will be. The ECM and GFS suggest a good bit of precip just at slightly different times. I think though it wont last long. Maybe 12 hour window max.

RTE?
    Depends on what forecast you listen to.It can be out of date or not up to speed on any changes.

Obviously ME are more or less ECM these days but no doubt they look at the almost ready to be retired Hirlam model and the others as they would have access to all the ensemble data.

What people tend to forget too is that Glasnevin [whether they take advantage of it or not] do have access to many other forecasters in other countries who can give an interpretation and discuss what might happen here.

DM2 - wheres the 528 line on that fax?

RTE?

DM2 - wheres the 528 line on that fax?

From Southern Wales to the Wash in England. Hence the snow forcast just on the Northern flank of the warm front there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

darkman2 wrote: »

Nice :)

Dew points will be below freezing universally across Ireland and the Irish sea. I don't see an issue there. Once it's below zero that's grand IMO.

That's a nice chart but will those fronts coming down from the north actually materialise?

Looking at the latest precipitation radar (http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html) it shows a lick of something coming into north Donegal but the stuff following on seems to be hanging over Scotland.

Does anyone have a report from Letterkenny?

We have been starved down here in the west and it would be great to see some flakes on the ground in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement