Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 2 (Wednesday onwards)

Options

Comments

ive been watching these forums with great interest and fun. I must say, some of you, really know your weather.
    its all in good fun.
    If you cant stand the dissapointment, then log off maybe...:)

I love it, and am praying that Supercell declares snow for Lucan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

M2 bouy on the Irish Sea has a negative Dew Point now -0.1....:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just came home from town and there is still an almost solid snow cover here, still nearly 2 inchs of snow in the garden but its as hard as rock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I have an old scarf.. a carrot... some buttons and an old hat at the ready... all i need now is snow here in south Donegal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

So lads, what's the consensus for snow on the east coast tonight, tomorrow morning? Will it be cold enough? Will we get precipitation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Anyone got any updates on north donegal ,any snow up there yet?
    What about derry, any webcams or something ???

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html
    According to this donegal should be under preciptation now.
    Not in my area though :( ,its probably just rain.
    Im not confident of snow tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Jake1 wrote: »
    ive been watching these forums with great interest and fun. I must say, some of you, really know your weather.
    its all in good fun.
    If you cant stand the dissapointment, then log off maybe...:)

I love it, and am praying that Supercell declares snow for Lucan

+1

I just want to say thanks to you guys that know really know what your talking about. I have learnt a lot over the last few week looking at all the threads in here and hope to learn mover over the next few months

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Wow, I forget about snow and move on to more pressing things in life such as work, family and the recession... then I pop back over here to find a new thread full of promise and 13 pages long! :pac:

So where's my feckin snow? Will there be any in my back garden tonight? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Supercell wrote: »
    I think there's probably already close to 5 foot above maybe 600 metres, heaven knows what its like above 800 metres on the likes of Lug, must genuinely be an avalanche risk in places.
    I don't think they meant 5 foot of snow from this coming event, at least i hope so (I hope they do :p ).

Do you think there is a risk of avalanches on lug? When is the last time there was an avalanche in wicklow i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

My DP is dropping but veryyyyyyyyyyy slowly, 'tis 1.5c now. The only bit of sneachta left here is a sorry looking solid lump of clear/white ice that was once a snowmans ass! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Do you think there is a risk of avalanches on lug? When is the last time there was an avalanche in wicklow i wonder?

Not sure but possibly the last ice age:cool:

Still here ? see, You are Hoping just like the rest of us :)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Not sure but possibly the last ice age:cool:

Google answered that question. The last time someone died in an avalanche in Ireland was in 1863 in wicklow. Some family were buried in their cottage it seems :eek:
    http://www.bluedome.co.uk/Robsreports/wicklow.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Jake1 wrote: »
    Still here ? see, You are Hoping just like the rest of us :)
    :D
    Yesh have to admit this is fairly adictive

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Yesh have to admit this is fairly adictive

LOL. I know it. Ive been stuck to this forum for days.
    I need a twelve step program.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    The Dublin line is awsome, I'm truely admiring nature doing its thing there.

Amazing alright - like two magnets repelling each other, it's like they just cannot meet!

3.0c DP 0.7c Still snow lying here.

I'd be shocked if we got snow here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Google answered that question. The last time someone died in an avalanche in Ireland was in 1863 in wicklow. Some family were buried in their cottage it seems :eek:
    http://www.bluedome.co.uk/Robsreports/wicklow.html

Three people were killed in an avalanche in scotland only last month, on the 25th.
    I'm surprised it wasn't on the news, or was it?

Source:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1127171/Pictured-The-brothers-killed-avalanche-Scottish-Highlands.html
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article5581569.ece
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0126/1232474680807.html

TRIBUTES HAVE been paid to the two brothers from Northern Ireland who died with another man in an avalanche in the Scottish Highlands.
    John Murphy (63), Portrush, and Eamonn Murphy (61), Carrickfergus, both Co Antrim, and Brian Murray (46) Monifeith, Tayside, Scotland, were caught up in the avalanche in blizzard conditions on Buachaille Etive Mor, near Glencoe, about noon on Saturday

Anyway, sorry for going off topic, just thought they might find that interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

hi ya all - beautiful sights driving over the m50 today. bray is a dp .6 temp 5.1 so i think anything you lot have thought me over the last wek is gone out the window lol

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Belmullet, Malin Head and Derry are reporting sleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, if Derry is reporting sleet then it's just as i feared that any precipitation we got from this front would not be snow from the start. no doubt it will turn to snow before its about to finish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have a temp of 0.9 and a DP of -1.1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Anyone? Chances of snow in Co Louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

CianRyan wrote: »
    Three people were killed in an avalanche in scotland only last month, on the 25th.
    I'm surprised it wasn't on the news, or was it?QUOTE]

It was well reported on the news. Two of those who died were actually Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Sleet/rain here in Letterkenny now. Not that heavy either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothings gonna happen tonight methinks, that precipitation will be lucky to survive as drizzle by the time it reachs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gowayyalanger

Snow heavier in letterkenny now. Cars and roofs whitening up. Not sticking to streets or pavements.

Snow heavier in letterkenny now. Cars and roofs whitening up. Not sticking to streets or pavements.
    kEEP us updated good man

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Has the temp plummeted recently.

Bitterly cold now in D11..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

No danger of anything wintry for now for here ,wrong wind direction for starters imo , must go and earn my living .
    temp 0.9c/dp 0.6 . chow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement