Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 2 (Wednesday onwards)

Options
  • 03-02-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Ok, I posed the following questions in the 'fierce cold spell' thread, but they got lost amongst the reports of current conditions. Mods, if a new thread is not appropriate now then please feel free to deep six this one.

The snow over the last day or so has been a surprise for some, but a disappointment to many. For those of us unlucky not to be able to make snowmen this morning I ask:

What is the next week or so likely to bring? Is there potential for further, and possibly more potent, snow? Is Dublin likely to see anything memorable, by way of snow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if you are located in the west, southwest, or north then Thursday is your best chance of seeing some sneachta as the winds back to the north and a succession of trough move down over the country- of course it's possible it will get technically milder at times during these, so some places could see sleet or rain.

apparently, due to stratospheric warming this is set to be a cold month overall and indications are good for wintry weather towards the middle of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yeah, that other thread has got a bit too cumbersome (too many excited eastern cousins musing about the white stuff).

Time for a new thread to go along with the change in wind direction coming from the north methinks!

Long way to go in February, there will no doubt be a lot more potential snow events coming our way (hopefully).

Dublin may still be in the firing line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

So are we in Ireland going to have much snow on Thursday with the predicted 'convergance' as reported on Sky News?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

what does convergance mean?

what does convergance mean?

when two different winds or opposing airmasses meet. in this case i think it means the point at which warm and cold air will meet over ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

thanks nacho...presume that will be over the northern half of the country..do you know what sky said?

thanks nacho...presume that will be over the northern half of the country..do you know what sky said?

yes the northern half should stay cold enough for snow.

i didn't see the sky forecast

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/whatgoesup3.htm

there's a more detailed explaination of Convergence on the above site.

if you are located in the west, southwest, or north then Thursday is your best chance of seeing some sneachta as the winds back to the north and a succession of trough move down over the country- of course it's possible it will get technically milder at times during these, so some places could see sleet or rain.
    Actually the GFS has a Northeast flow on thursday so that would make the East [again] and the North the favoured areas on that day [but many more if a trough feature ran down] Rtavn481.png

The 12z ECM agree's with that

090203_1200_54.png
    apparently, due to stratospheric warming this is set to be a cold month overall and indications are good for wintry weather towards the middle of the month.
    Hopefully so.
    I ain't as optimistic as everyone else [yet] on the whole MMW thing though as I'm still puzzled as to how weather models fed with CURRENT information could be factoring in stuff that hasnt had an impact on CURRENT information yet.
    But then I'm not a mathematician,I'm just a weather geek :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't think we're gonna see much more snow than today for the rest of the year now...
    For the past 3 years its only been snowing for a day or two in Feb (atleast in Dublin).
    This time we've had it snowing for 2 days continuously in Feb. We might probably see a couple more brief show showers over this week but i think this week is gonna be the last of any snow we'll see atleast in Dublin.

I don't think we're gonna see much more snow than today for the rest of the year now...
    For the past 3 years its only been snowing for a day or two in Feb (atleast in Dublin).
    This time we've had it snowing for 2 days continuously in Feb. We might probably see a couple more brief show showers over this week but i think this week is gonna be the last of any snow we'll see atleast in Dublin.
    You cant say that as you have no science to back it up.
    just because 1803 was a mild february [I've no idea if it was..just a random year to make a point] it has no impact on the following february.
    Nada none whatsoever.

There have been a few february's that have been particularly cold [half of feb '91] for instance.
    That happens due to certain climatological factors falling into place.
    They either do or they don't.Mostly they don't [the ones responsible for snow] but they can't be ruled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So how about showing us models for next week anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Pangea wrote: »
    So how about showing us models for next week anyone?

Right then sir :D, this would be nice if it comes off , somewhat a repeat of this week , snow almost everywhere ..........erm except donegal :rolleyes: :D.

b3c697d46ab.png

lol take that back!
    well yes very nice , hope it comes off, Im jetting off to spain for 7 days on the 18th ,Im worried il miss any cold events here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Alright guys, its sad but the rain has started to fall and phase 1 of the cold spell is beginning to close. It will be a wild few hours with a bands of rain and sleet moving across the country with some snow in places.

But the next phase of cold will spread from the north from this evening (Wednesday) as cold northeasterly push south with very low upper level temps and a return to sub zero dewpoints.

Snow showers will affect northern and northwestern coastal counties most but a cold front pushing south through Thursday early AM could give a snowfall anywhere. Also some snow showers may drift onto the east coast on the Northeasterly wind and some unexpected features cannot be ruled out :pac:

A very frosty period for many with harsh frost Thursday night and lots of ice.

Rtavn421.png

gfs-2-36.png

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Thanks Kerry hope it comes off ...I know its 6 days but its looking like more snow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

well tbh at this stage i want it to be either snow or just dry, i am sick of this slushy mess i have had the last 2 days
    I think there is a good chance for dublin on thursday, dew points should be favourable for some snow and hopefully accumulations.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Looking forward to it. Hopefully part 2 will be as entertaining as part 1.

Night, night ;)

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Light snow here, albeit a tad wet snow. 1.7c and a 1.3c Dew Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Rain is coming down hard in D11

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Danno wrote: »
    Light snow here, albeit a tad wet snow. 1.7c and a 1.3c Dew Point.

Did ye lads in laois finally dig yer way out then.......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We can dig our way out of snow, but not football or hurling it seems :(

1.6c and dews down to 1.0c. Cold air is returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

First Page ^^

But agreed, i'm hoping that there will still be a respectable snow coverage by the time the cold snap hits on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Alright guys, its sad but the rain has started to fall and phase 1 of the cold spell is beginning to close. It will be a wild few hours with a bands of rain and sleet moving across the country with some snow in places.

But the next phase of cold will spread from the north from this evening (Wednesday) as cold northeasterly push south with very low upper level temps and a return to sub zero dewpoints.

Snow showers will affect northern and northwestern coastal counties most but a cold front pushing south through Thursday early AM could give a snowfall anywhere. Also some snow showers may drift onto the east coast on the Northeasterly wind and some unexpected features cannot bender ruled out :pac:

A very frosty period for many with harsh frost Thursday night and lots of ice.

Good work WeatherCheck, you've been playing a blinder all week. :D
    So do you think Dublin will do better this time around?

Wow another thread ,last one was magnificent, but with no end product for me ,this thread better do me favours lol.

Snow for donegal wanted ! Will buy in bulk from Wicklow! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

i've still got 3 inches on my lawn.snowed some again this evening.got my little ruler out and it was 1cm after a prolonged shower.wed night ,thur mornin looks very interesting it will be a nice bit of snow i feel that'll cross the country then later more coming into the east like what wc just mentioned.fair play lad.i did think you were over estimating the dump levels but my god i was in the firing line for alot of it an wasn't disappointed as i danced silly in it.stayed up all the night an was bout to give up when she suddenly came like a train choo choo ha.:rolleyes:

Currently Very windy here in South Donegal and it is freezing too! The car is white with frost ,very strange ,never saw it being so windy and it freezing at the same time.

article11345820348cff80ry6.th.jpg
    Gotta love this somewhere in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

|I left Ballymun (D11) for Coultry (D9) at 9:oop.m., lots off slush on the ground and a lot of rain, just returned, slush all gone and plenty of rain coming down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Dont know how ^^^:o^^^ happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement