Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 2 (Wednesday onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

All in all, an excellent wintry outbreak at present times, which does have the potential to be sustained.

All of the Oscillation forecasts at present along with the general background signals and supporting factors support further cold potential down the line (somewhat akin to ECMWF 12Z Today 05 Feb)

MUSEIST wrote: »
    no they did'nt -the models showed some signs of this and over the weeks it became clearer this was going to be a cool period-there is nobody who had anymore knowledge than that- it was there to be forecast by anyone who looked at the models

btw i am sure it is agood site

Nope, 3 weeks ago one of the site members (myself) referred to this possible wintry outbreak into Feb. Background signals that I have mentioned above such as the multiple oscillation forecasts were taken into account. These signals showed signs of a colder outbreak more than a week before it was to be forecast consistently by the models.

For example, the Arctic Oscillation plunged into deeply negative territory during the latest colder outbreak, a corrleation between colder patterns over the British Isles and a negative phase of the AO is something well documented.

The same for NAO, which also dropped into negative territory and continues to remain negative right now, as does the AO.

Both forecasts are also showing something very interesting for the weeks ahead combined with the propogation to the troposphere of the recent MMW event.

That's what I was referring to & this was discussed and predicted on IRLWN several weeks ago.

SA. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Nope, 3 weeks ago one of the site members (myself) referred to this possible wintry outbreak into Feb. Background signals that I have mentioned above such as the multiple oscillation forecasts were taken into account. These signals showed signs of a colder outbreak more than a week before it was to be forecast consistently by the models.

For example, the Arctic Oscillation plunged into deeply negative territory during the latest colder outbreak, a corrleation between colder patterns over the British Isles and a negative phase of the AO is something well documented.

The same for NAO, which also dropped into negative territory and continues to remain negative right now, as does the AO.

Both forecasts are also showing something very interesting for the weeks ahead combined with the propogation to the troposphere of the recent MMW event.

That's what I was referring to & this was discussed and predicted on IRLWN several weeks ago.

I know this SA and well done on forecasting this. All i am saying is it does'nt take a expert to realise this. This info is avaliable to us all and any reasonably logical and observant person could see that there was a possiblity for cold.Just dont make it out like the experts on that site predicted something that nobody else could or did.

anyway yes the euro models especially are showing like this could be a prolonged cold spell lasting for at least 1 more week. Will be interesting to see if we get any further snow out of it.:)

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I know this SA and well done on forecasting this. All i am saying is it does'nt take a expert to realise this. This info is avaliable to us all and any reasonably logical and observant person could see that there was a possiblity for cold.Just dont make it out like the experts on that site predicted something that nobody else could or did.

anyway yes the euro models especially are showing like this could be a prolonged cold spell lasting for at least 1 more week. Will be interesting to see if we get any further snow out of it.:)

Oh of course and I know that - I'm merely stating the positives of the forum when you relpied to Arctictree earlier and that it was highlighted on there several weeks ago.

Weathercheck and Darkman 2 and many others have been doing a superb job on here.

Indeed, maybe further interesting times ahead out into the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 free-2-air

Having been lurking over the last couple of days ...thought Boards members might like to see some pics from this evening in Stepaside.....stopped snowing finally at about 8 this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Ohh fupp :eek: I hope i havent posted too many pictures to give away my location:pac:

I know where u are - near Carrickhill newsagent, mua ha ha >:)

I'm just trying to figure out who u are now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

arctictree wrote: »

arctictree....once again .....whats the point in posting a link .....knowing full well ......that the vast majority of us cannot access that site....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

kerry1960 wrote: »
    arctictree....once again .....whats the point in posting a link .....knowing full well ......that the vast majority of us cannot access that site....:mad:

What? i can access it fine. Or was that a joke, as in you have no snow as they do in Roundwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Hi SA and friends ......must be my problem then , and a strange one , but every time i try to access that site i get an error has occured message thats all , would love to see AT snowfall totals etc , but can't.....:confused:.cheers......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Hi SA and friends ......must be my problem then , and a strange one , but every time i try to access that site i get an error has occured message thats all , would love to see AT snowfall totals etc , but can't.....:confused:.cheers......
    Definitely a problem your end- don't know why you said it's a problem for "the vast majority" when it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Icing up out there..i can hear cars on the road crunching past on the snow that fell earlier

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Down to -2.7c overnight - snow is solid (was able to rest my coffee cup on top of the snow on the garden table!) - I can hear the odd car crunching past on the road.

Yesterday was my fourth day of falling snow and today is my fifth day of lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nowt in the west! Although the cars are frozen over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

well it seems that meath has been left out this time,we got about 2 inches on monday and apart from the odd flurry here and there thats all we got :mad:
    feeling gutted to be honest was expecting a lot more :(
    anyway this band moving up on sunday it looks like being rain for most of us????
    will the passing of this band mean the end of the snow risk and the coldish spell

Beautifull winter wonderland here west of Arklow this morning.
    About 2 inches on the ground,hedges and tree's weighted down.

Very sunny for a change but icy with a current temp of +0.2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 AlphaMike

This will make no sense at all.

I left Saggart at 6.30 this morning. The roads were totally clear...(damn gritter trucks) but the footpaths,gardens and everywhere else was still full of snow....rock hard snow. When you walked on it it felt as though you were walking on glass.

The roads were really really icy, more than usual so beware. Now the strange part, it was cold at Saggart but here in the citycentre, it's absolutely freezing??!!!

All week it's been the other way round but I swear it feels much colder this morning in the citycentre than any other morning! And that's with the sun out at the moment!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

AlphaMike wrote: »
    This will make no sense at all.

I left Saggart at 6.30 this morning. The roads were totally clear...(damn gritter trucks) but the footpaths,gardens and everywhere else was still full of snow....rock hard snow. When you walked on it it felt as though you were walking on glass.

The roads were really really icy, more than usual so beware. Now the strange part, it was cold at Saggart but here in the citycentre, it's absolutely freezing??!!!

All week it's been the other way round but I swear it feels much colder this morning in the citycentre than any other morning! And that's with the sun out at the moment!!

I'm not in the city centre but it's still -2.0c here with the sun up!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sandyford is like an Ice rink ! all that snow has frozen over and it feels bitterly cold outside .

Just wondering has anybody a link to hi res sat image? I've seen it before on here but just can't remember.

It's a lovely sunny clear morning here (still -1.3c) and on the UK Met sat image you can just about make out the snow cover over Dublin and Wicklow - would be great to see a hi res sat image.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its stunning outside here, utterly stunning, the kind of morning that reminds me exactly why I'm mad about the snow. I've put some images up on the pictures sub forum, hope you like them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Just drove from here into Arklow on snow covered untreated roads.
    The ice and the skidding was unreal.
    Very very dangerous.

There was a lady on East coast FM who was being interviewd and they've been snowed in since monday-she lives near the croghan area.
    She was saying theres a foot of snow in the yard all iced over now and 3 feet all around the house in drifts.
    Now that I can believe.
    Same right up through the high ground of wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

VERY BAD ICE here in donegal ,no snow though, everywhere is like a bottle here

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Sandyford is like an Ice rink ! all that snow has frozen over and it feels bitterly cold outside .

Yeah, I arrived into Sandyford Ind. Est. at 7:30 this morning and almost couldn't get the car the 100m from the road to a parking space. Crazy.

However, when I left Swords this morning it was just a hard frost on what was a wet road - nothing out of the ordinary. The M50 was fine with no trace of snow, until near the Tallaght exit.

The snow seems to have been very localised around the Dublin area. Some areas have lying snow, others nowt. The mention of 'worst snow in 30 years for the east' on the news yesterday very much overplayed the event, IMHO.

Heres the view from my kitchen window whilst making a cuppa, could wake up to that every morning :D

cuppa_view.jpg

Thats the annamoe.net webcam on the top right :)

cuppa_view2.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Supercell wrote: »
    Heres the view from my kitchen window whilst making a cuppa, could wake up to that every morning :D

cuppa_view.jpg

Thats the annamoe.net webcam on the top right :)

cuppa_view2.jpg

Kitchen badly needs a good cleaning

Wibbler wrote: »
    The mention of 'worst snow in 30 years for the east' on the news yesterday very much overplayed the event, IMHO.
    It certainly isnt that.
    There have been many events inside of that 30 year time frame with lots more snow-right through the 80's up to '91.

I 'spose what they are getting at and should be qualifying is that its at least as bad in terms of disruption eg school closures,people not being able to get to work etc.

I wonder.....nice shower line accross NI atm producing snow moving in a SE direction.....I wonder what are the chances of showers making there way south??? 10% chance maybe?

Would love even a flurry of snow today so I could fifth day of snowfall. :D

NickDrake wrote: »
    Kitchen badly needs a good cleaning

Lol, yep, I was waiting for that comment :D

Ohh, apologies to the boardsies with the dogs with flashing led collars..you caught me at two bottle wine status..sorry if I was loud and lewd..I vaguely remember slurring some rubbish out to you..whoever you are!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Supercell wrote: »
    Lol, yep, I was waiting for that comment :D

you have plenty of sprays there to help ya anyway:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement