Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 2 (Wednesday onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

England going to get plummeled again tonight from a band moving up!

What were getting is piddly stuff in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Well here in the sunny west, we've had four days of mostly beautiful if cold sunshine. Most disappointing. I like a bit of snow and was looking forward to introducing my two year old to it. But no luck. It's like a different country here.

But I'll always have 1982, this is nothing compared to that. Some roads were literally buried in eight to ten foot drifts. I have pictures somewhere to prove it.

The company I worked for at the time were out were Citywest on the Naas road is now. I couldn't get in that morning. My motorcycle was buried in a snowdrift. My boss reacted like I was slacking when I phoned him. But I got the last laugh, the snow didn't stop and everyone who made it to work was trapped for the weekend by massive snowdrifts. Some of the lads went out that night tied together to rescue people from cars stranded on the Naas road. There was even a pregnant woman in labour. It was like the plot of a disaster movie. An ambulance tried to get her out but it got stuck too and the ambulance driver started to panic. Eventually the next morning the army sent an armoured personnel carrier to get her out. Back then, no one had four wheel drives and the army were the only people that were moving. I was sorry I missed all the excitement.

After it stopped it froze solid for two weeks. If you've seen 'Ice Road Truckers' you know what it was like only on the Naas Road there were massive ruts in the frozen snow. In villages around Dublin the Army had to fly in food because they were cut off for days. There was a rumour that a bread delivery van was ransacked by panicking crowds somewhere in Dublin. Crazy times. After that the council bought snow ploughs.

Funnily enough, the west coast didn't see any snow that time either.

Nice piddly stuff...though

I've been around a long time and seen jan '82 etc and although this was maybe only 2.5 inches..it came down in 2 hours of some of the heaviest thickest snow I've seen..Real "the shining" stuff when like an insane person I drove into the local macdonalds during it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Yeah The Uk have only 3 days supply of salt left and they are passing the blame book and getting fierce excited. Some schools expect to be closed for an entire week and major transport systems are still out of action. scary stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Yeah The Uk have only 3 days supply of salt left and they are passing the blame book and getting fierce excited. Some schools expect to be closed for an entire week and major transport systems are still out of action. scary stuff!

Big time scary

School in Glencullen closed since Monday here - & thats like major to have to close that long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Snow and slush is beginning to refreeze here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yeah got one of the last flights out of dublin today ,,during a blizzard ! ( a bit Die Hard the movie ).

In london now and looks like we may get dumped on in the morning! flying back sunday ,,,my have to book extra hotel nights if this keeps up:D

snowing down here again after a lull.
    The stuff that fell is thawing like mad too.

Yeah there are alot of schools open with very few staff/ students due to the pressure working parents are putting on them to open.

Oh I wish for just one decent snow covering in KK.....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Heard on here that Sunday is supposed to see fresh snowfalls.

Is this true ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Ballymun in the snow 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Nice!!

francosp wrote: »
    Heard on here that Sunday is supposed to see fresh snowfalls.

Is this true ?

Could be touch and go, so we won't know until much closer to the time.

Places at risk are more northern areas, Precip should come in Sunday middle of the day.

WTF.. my oul lad told me stories about that snowfall.

They had a christening for mise and had like 15-20 people in our house.

Nobody could leave for days because of the snow. Me da even had to walk down to Premier Dairies to get fresh milk for a few days because there where no deliveries. MAD. haha :D

Places at risk are more northern areas, Precip should come in Sunday middle of the day.

Cool. Hopefully we get some percip. :)

great pic, good job!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Are we talking precipitation that will actually sweep the country?

Are we talking precipitation that will actually sweep the country?

Yes but i must say that its temperature that is marginal, the fronts are coming from the Atlantic against the colder air with colder air running in behind them also.

Its really uncertain at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes but i must say that its temperature that is marginal, the fronts are coming from the Atlantic against the colder air with colder air running in behind them also.

Its really uncertain at the moment.

Cheers, something to follow nonetheless!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭arctictree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the snow ive had from this cold spell so far is piddly stuff compared to last winter! 2 to 3.5 inchs is the max ive had out of this cold spell altho its definitely sticking around. That short brief snow spell on January 4th last winter dumped almost 7 inchs here in 3 to 4 hours, it was an 80s style event in terms of snow rate per hour but unforunately it only stuck around for one night before the mild wet muck invaded the next morning. But today the coastal fringe of Dublin and Wicklow were very lucky with what they got, everywher else just saw misty snow and some light snow that never really stuck. The snow & temperatures from this cold spell is also not anywhere near the same league as the snow we got in 87/91 but as a whole this winter so far has propably been the coldest since 1991 especially when u take all those frost sub-zero nights into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

does anyone think that the country will get a massive spell like the 80's in the next few years?????

EDIT: As in the whole country?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I would certainly be optimistic, definitely when I have a read over on netweather, we could be facing one in the coming weeks at this rate!

seriously doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

arctictree wrote: »

arctictree , cannot access that site .....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

arctictree wrote: »

its almost like you wanted us to go and look around that site hmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

jonny_b wrote: »
    seriously doubt that
    oh look!! another none believer!!:D

yup:rolleyes:

jonny_b wrote: »
    yup:rolleyes:

i once was like you but today i saw the light( or should i say snow ,lots of snow:D:D:D)

• Advertisement

Snowaddict wrote: »
    It's a great site, with great pics of the current wintry outbreak and contains members who forecast this current colder wintry outbreak almost one month ago.

no they did'nt -the models showed some signs of this and over the weeks it became clearer this was going to be a cool period-there is nobody who had anymore knowledge than that- it was there to be forecast by anyone who looked at the models

btw i am sure it is agood site

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement