Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 2 (Wednesday onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Very light snow falling in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Confab wrote: »
    Who's claiming credit for the word 'snizzle'? Whoever it is, do you realise that you've inadvertantly coined a new Boards.ie phrase? :D

Well according to http://www.urbandictionary.com/ the weather meaning of "snizzle" only comes in at second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Wibbler wrote: »
    Really? A lot of the stuff fell from the sky certainly, but it melted away a quickly as it fell, so no accumulations at least on my commute from Sandyford to Swords this evening apart from a thin layer of slush.

Well yes actually- heaviest snow I've seen fall in Dublin anyway and great to see cars plastered in snow and the roads covered temporarily in the centre too. Don't forget, some places around the city got a few inches today. Btw, when I say fantastic I mean by Dublin's standards of snow!

EDIT: Someone on IWN from Dublin 16 measured 4.5 inches on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snow still thawing a good bit here as still 1c.

When this front clears should lead to a frosty icy one.

A few drops of precip at the moment, probably sleet/graupel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Whiteout!!
    0.7/-0.3C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Confab wrote: »
    Who's claiming credit for the word 'snizzle'? Whoever it is, do you realise that you've inadvertantly coined a new Boards.ie phrase? :D
    lol that sounds like something snoop dogg would say to describe snow :cool: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This snizzle is the bizzle yo. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Slights, fine snow falling here (D6W) at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

rc28 wrote: »
    Well yes actually- heaviest snow I've seen fall in Dublin anyway and great to see cars plastered in snow and the roads covered temporarily in the centre too. Don't forget, some places around the city got a few inches today. Btw, when I say fantastic I mean by Dublin's standards of snow!

Revisionism, there was more in 2001 over a wider area...as for the 90's or 80's this was a very average event.
    Even here 200 metres up..this just about compares to 82 (at sea level in Dalkey) and for coldness its nowhere near '87 and not doubt '63 and '47 are in a different league

That said in a warming world i honestly think this has been a 63 or '47 type event and one we'll tell our children about.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

it said on the news heaviest snowfall in parts of the east in over 30 years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Just went for a walk with my Black Lab he is now a white lab

snowing again just out side wicklow town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Coming down again here now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Pangea wrote: »

Have they forgotten about '82 and '87 already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pangea wrote: »

That's rubbish tbh. 1982 or 87? the snow was the height of some house doors in Dublin. Completely different scale to what we just had. 2001 also saw decent amounts of snow in many places....that was even more severe because nothing melted at all even in glaging sunshine. Every single flake that fell stuck to the ground.

We get snow every single year. The West, North and Northwest get this sort of thing seen in Dublin regularly. Just that Dublin is the wrong side of the country so to speak so rarely get's significant falls....but every year Dublin gets snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Bucketing down snow in Wicklow again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

2.5cm and still snowing
    0.4/-0.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Supercell wrote: »
    That said in a warming world i honestly think this has been a 63 or '47 type event and one we'll tell our children about.

Crikey! That's Wicklow, Ireland, right? :D

As is always the case with these things, some of us have seen lots of snow and had is stick around, while others have had predominately sleet or snow with a fast thaw. I'm one of the latter and would have little to tell my little one about when she asks daddy about the great snow of 2009. It's not quite the country wide event one would like :D

I scarcely remember 2001 or 1987, but I *do* remember 1982. Now *that* was an event! I was 12 at the time, which helps, and living further from the coast. I opened the front door one morning and a snow drift that was taller than me, fell into the hall. My dad who worked shifts at the time, had to take a shovel to work so he could dig the car out of trouble on the way home. Ah the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Revisionism, there was more in 2001 over a wider area..

Two very different events, especially here.

2001 was one major snowfall over 24 hours. Strong winds caused massive snowdrifts here up to 5 feet but on the fields there was only an inch or two. This caused widespread road blockages.

This has now been going on for 4 days, but the snow has partially thawed each day allowing the roads to clear. Probably more snow now in total than 2001.

ECM output this evening would suggest the cold spell lasting into the forseable future.

Recm1201.gif

Recm2161.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Snow still thawing a good bit here as still 1c.

When this front clears should lead to a frosty icy one.

A few drops of precip at the moment, probably sleet/graupel

Fluffy stuff falling again - dp.4 temp 1.4:cool:

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    Fluffy stuff falling again - dp.4 temp 1.4:cool:

Snap! although not that heavy

Dry here but moonlight is out, so beautiful its hard not to be happy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

trogdor wrote: »
    Snap! although not that heavy

Its them fumes from the harbour killling off your snow lol:o

What makes a snow event for me is when the trees and hedges etc get white , its realy amazing.
    Tonight its like that, its amazing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

light snizzle here now, 3 inch covering. hard to say but no major thaw all day.
    Have to say dublin looks amazing with snow on the ground:D

The melt seems to have progressed here!

All the grass almost snowless now!

And some sleet/rain falling.

I hope the snowman lasts for the cold spell :D:pac:

jenzz wrote: »
    Its them fumes from the harbour killling off your snow lol:o

yeah:p still coming down here but doesn't seem to be accumulating really

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Light covering here now, cars and roads.

Any other word of Donegal. Hopeful now for tonight.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Sleet here in Coolock, What are the chances for another burst of heavy snow for my area tonight?

• Advertisement

chris2007 wrote: »
    Sleet here in Coolock, What are the chances for another burst of heavy snow for my area tonight?

Zero

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement