Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

genuine question, have the young lads stopped eating spuds around the country, all we seem to breed these days is small lads.

when i was growing up, we were well able for senior football at 16 or 17, now the young lads on our panel are as light as f*ck.

the lack of physical presence in our minor teams is getting worse and worse. we also, i think are suffering badly from population trends and i fear another famine is coming at senior level once the current golden generation leave us :(

the underage set up in kerry is at an all time deplorable state if for the only reason being population problems.

True enough HJ, but in fairness, your average inter-county footballer is about a stone heavier and way fitter and stronger than even 10/15 years ago. I mean to actually see a team like Cork's for example, in the flesh, they are absolutely massive men.

Was making the point recently here, that we should be maximising our potential at underage level to secure a good medium-long term future at senior level. I think we are well behind a number of county's already and the difference in conditioning of recent underage teams is ample evidence of this.
    The minor management team selected this year was a step backwards aswell in my view and should have gone to younger faces. At least with Fitzy et al with the U-21's we have a good platform there, but we can't fall asleep at the wheel in the levels prior to U-21 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

genuine question, have the young lads stopped eating spuds around the country, all we seem to breed these days is small lads.

when i was growing up, we were well able for senior football at 16 or 17, now the young lads on our panel are as light as f*ck.

the lack of physical presence in our minor teams is getting worse and worse. we also, i think are suffering badly from population trends and i fear another famine is coming at senior level once the current golden generation leave us :(

the underage set up in kerry is at an all time deplorable state if for the only reason being population problems.

I often wondered if I was on my own in this line of thinking, I started playing senior at 16 and so did most of my friends, since then though most fellas seem to be closer to 18 before getting a shot at it. I was no giant at 16 either but the guys coming through now do seem to be very small.
    For the last few years we have been getting away with poor minor and u21 teams(the u21 all ireland winners being the one exception) The poor setup will eventually catch up with us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

There will never be a famine in Kerry in regards to Senior All Ireland titles. Just because the minor teams are not as successful doesn't mean anything. Kerry are the best when making the transition from under-age levels to senior level. I wouldnt be worried from a Kerry point of view. In Cork we have loads of underage success in football but not enough Senior level success and I know what I would rather have.

From watching the U21 match the last day between Cork and Kerry, I thought Kerry looked impressive and there wasnt much to seperate the two teams in the end. In fact Cork were probably lucky to win it. Fitzmaurice is doing great work with the U21 and before long there will be U21 titles won by Kerry.

teednab-el wrote: »
    There will never be a famine in Kerry in regards to Senior All Ireland titles. Just because the minor teams are not as successful doesn't mean anything. Kerry are the best when making the transition from under-age levels to senior level. I wouldnt be worried from a Kerry point of view. In Cork we have loads of underage success in football but not enough Senior level success and I know what I would rather have.

From watching the U21 match the last day between Cork and Kerry, I thought Kerry looked impressive and there wasnt much to seperate the two teams in the end. In fact Cork were probably lucky to win it. Fitzmaurice is doing great work with the U21 and before long there will be U21 titles won by Kerry.

Yeah, thats what everyone said prior to 1987-96 aswell, but I didn't imagine those 11 years did I!
    Don't think that will be repeated in the near future, but we'd need to up the standard a bit at minor certainly. I don't consider this years minor panel (or management) of a satisfactory standard. A younger manager like Liam Hassett for example, would have been a far better choice than Mickey Ned or John O'Keeffe who have both had their days in the sun.
    Last years U-21 hammering in Cork was a nadir also at that level, but the situation has improved drastically this year thankfully and there is an excellent structure in place there for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hi Kerry fans. Some of ye asked in another thread to get rid of the ancient poll on this thread. Unfortunately the poll can't be deleted without deleting the thread so i just reworded it with a generic question and values and tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible for ye

The only other option is starting afresh with a new Kerry GAA Discussion thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sure the thread will break when we get to 10,000 posts so we can just wait for that to happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

minors won 3-9 to 0-5 last night. good win for them, i wasnt at it myself, but by all accounts they looked a little bit better than the previous 2 games and despite making alot of mistakes, were farily comfortable.

up next is clare and its a straight shootout now for a place in the all ireland 1/4 final. they have a huge amount of work to do in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

minors won 3-9 to 0-5 last night. good win for them, i wasnt at it myself, but by all accounts they looked a little bit better than the previous 2 games and despite making alot of mistakes, were farily comfortable.

up next is clare and its a straight shootout now for a place in the all ireland 1/4 final. they have a huge amount of work to do in the next few weeks.

Any personal report on the game homerjay? I read the papers but they're very short on match reporting at minor level

jaysus, the thread is a ghost town for the past 2 weeks.

looks like tom sullivan has retired, which is a huge loss :(

jaysus, the thread is a ghost town for the past 2 weeks.

looks like tom sullivan has retired, which is a huge loss :(
    At lease we have Corwley and Enright coming through who seem to have adapted quite well during the league.

Huge loss with regard to experience though admittedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

30 Euro for a stand ticket for the two games in Thurles,a bit dear isn't it ?

tippspur wrote: »
    30 Euro for a stand ticket for the two games in Thurles,a bit dear isn't it ?

Its not dear if you have a season ticket!:D

Seriously though, that IS pricey for the Tipp game. GAA will shoot themselves in the foot with this kind of thing.

PaulieC wrote: »
    At lease we have Corwley and Enright coming through who seem to have adapted quite well during the league.

Huge loss with regard to experience though admittedly

You could see it coming, but its still sad when you hear it confirmed. Like Jack said on the radio the other day, he owes Kerry nothing. What a career.

Need the next generation to step up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Bad week for Kerry Gaa, with the Hurlers being beaten twice in 7 days, and Tom stepping down.

Hurlers now look at relegation to the Nickey Rackard!!!

Joke of a situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭thesultan

Tom will be a loss alright but I would like to see Enright get an extended run now. He was unlucky to get injured against Cork last year

He had a tough time of it against Mayo from what I saw

He's a great prospect though, strong, fast, tough defender - will definitely come good imo but might need some more time at championship level before he gets to the level we need him to be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He was under pressure in the first half but was fantastic for the rest of the game and extra time.

keane2097 wrote: »
    He was under pressure in the first half but was fantastic for the rest of the game and extra time.
    True, but any young fella coming into the Kerry team could well be targeted by opposition so he could see alot of traffic coming his way so it'll be interesting to see how he stands up to in come championship time.

Looking forward to it now, hoping himself and Crowley continue to press on from their league form

Wha? He's marked Paul Kerrigan in a Munster final, he's not some young lad coming in who doesn't know what's what.

Who's going to target him? He's not going to be marking Grogan against Tipp (if he's still even around), who else are they going to use to target him? After that it'll be Cork, he's done fine against them before and they've got the best forward line he's going to come up against by a mile unless he changes county.

Same with Crowley, who's he going to mark that's going to give him a doing? Most teams don't have the players to "target" Kerry backs, because Marc will take their best inside forward and it's easy to get your worse backs on guys they're well able for after that.

Be far more worried about Mahony or Brosnan being targeted because most teams have six forwards who can outrun them.

Wha? He's marked Paul Kerrigan in a Munster final, he's not some young lad coming in who doesn't know what's what.

Who's going to target him? He's not going to be marking Grogan against Tipp (if he's still even around), who else are they going to use to target him? After that it'll be Cork, he's done fine against them before and they've got the best forward line he's going to come up against by a mile unless he changes county.

Same with Crowley, who's he going to mark that's going to give him a doing? Most teams don't have the players to "target" Kerry backs, because Marc will take their best inside forward and it's easy to get your worse backs on guys they're well able for after that.

Genuinely forgot Enright played in last years final so my bad on that one.

That said, Crowleys unproven at championship - when I say they'll be seeing alot of traffic - I do mean down that channel, they'll look to test him. Get the wing back up to help out the forward and see if he slips up, makes a judgement error etc. - It's not like we haven't seen it happen young fellas before in a multitude of sports before.

Be far more worried about Mahony or Brosnan being targeted because most teams have six forwards who can outrun them.

lol well worded

• Advertisement

He had a tough time of it against Mayo from what I saw

He's a great prospect though, strong, fast, tough defender - will definitely come good imo but might need some more time at championship level before he gets to the level we need him to be at.

??? Really?

In both Mayo games he marked the same guy, held him scoreless and saw him taken off...not exactly indicative of a corner back "having a tough time"! I thought he was outstanding in the semi final to be honest.

He's 23, and like Keane said, already has c/ship played last year. He had a tough time in a couple of league games this year, but his best games funnily enough were the first game in Croker and the last 2 against Mayo. I'd have confidence in him to do well.
    I'm not sure if Crowley or McGuire will be starting but they will definitely see game time at some stage. Both have shown up well enough during the league, so will hopefully kick on from there.

Also, might aswell mention, saw James Walsh play a Cork senior c/ship game last week for CIT and he looks like a guy who will be involved at senior level in the not too distant future.

This is what I hope Jack will recognise also. I don't think we can afford a Tomas, Brosnan, O'Mahony half back line to be honest...not at the business end of the c/ship anyway, as top teams will have half forward lines that will defintely have the legs to cause them trouble. Funnily enough, it was the oldest of them Tomás, who seemed to last the pace better(especially in the final) last year. The other 2 were out on their feet by the end of a few games. At least now we have a few options to come off the bench who have done quite well during the league. Time for them to step it up.

??? Really?

In both Mayo games he marked the same guy, held him scoreless and saw him taken off...not exactly indicative of a corner back "having a tough time"! I thought he was outstanding in the semi final to be honest.

Yeah. That's how I saw it - thought he looked uneasy when he had players running at him in that game which surprised me because the guys really quick!

I'm going on one game and as I mentioned earlier, completely forgot he was involved in last years championship - admittedly I'll have to lay off the drugs :pac:

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing himself and Crowley coming through, it's always nice to see young fellas coming through, and probably a better way of putting it would be that as a fan, I'm nervous for them

You're some foola Paul.

You're some foola Paul.
    It'd be a rarity for me to deny that tbh

minor team announced. this game will make or break their season, huge game for them, anything less than an all ireland 1/4 is a disaster for them.
    The Kerry Minor team that will play Clare in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Football Championship Semi-Final on Wednesday May 16th at 7:30pm in Cusack Park Ennis is as follows:
    1. Gavin Curran, (Dingle)
    2. Cathal Ó Lúing , (An Ghaeltacht) 3. Gavin Crowley (Templenoe), 4. Shane O'Connor (John Mitchels)
    5. Brian Crowley (Templenoe) 6. Ronan Murphy (Beaufort) 7. Greg Horan (Austin Stacks)
    8. Kieran Murphy (Kilcummin) 9. Eanna Ó Conchuir ( An Ghaeltacht)
    10. Gavin O'Shea (Dr Crokes) 11. Jack Savage (Kerins O'Rahillys) 12. Cillian Fitzgerald
    ( Churchill)
    13.Darragh Carmody (Na Gaeil) 14.Denis Daly (St Marys) 15.Conor Keane ( Legion)
    Substitutes:
    16. Stephen Cahillane (Keel)17. Sean Moloney (John Mitchel's)
    18. Evan Doyle (Ballyduff)
    19. Martin Tierney (Kerins O'Rahillys) 20. Deavan O'Flaherty (Cromane)
    21.Jack Barry (Na Gaeil)22. Gary O'Sullivan (Listry)
    23. Dara Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    24. Adrian Spillane (Templenoe)
    25. Niall Sheehy (John Mitchel's)
    26. Cathal Sheahan (Legion)

Other Players on the panel:
    27. David Foran (St Senan's)
    28. Gerald O'Sullivan (Tarbert)
    29 . Adam Barry (Brosna)
    30. Kevin McCarthy ( Kilcummin)
    31. Patrick O'Connor (Dingle)
    Bainsteoir : Mickey Ned O'Sullivan (Kenmare)
    Selectors: Peter Keane (St Mary's) and John O'Keeffe
    (Austin Stacks)

minor team announced. this game will make or break their season, huge game for them, anything less than an all ireland 1/4 is a disaster for them.
    Is it possible that Mickey Ned saw the draw and thought it better to lose to Tipperary, as he felt the extra games would do the lads good?
    If we had beaten Tipp, we would have had a very long layoff, and then a tough game vs Cork.
    Through the back door, he gets the easier side of the draw, and a game against Clare to make a Munster Final.

That is a much stronger team then we have had in any of the other games.

Darragh Carmody played in the Junior Semi-Final for Na Gaeil against St.Pats last weekend and scored 1-3 (and set up a penalty which he missed).

Cathal Ó Luing is back in the side, after putting in a great 25 minutes against Tipperary, he was bizzarly taken off.

Daly from St. Mary's is also meant to be a talented footballer.

From what i've read about these lads, they seem to have the talent, its the mental strength that Minors often lack.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    From what i've read about these lads, they seem to have the talent, its the mental strength that Minors often lack.

I'd tend to disagree with that - often you find minor players adapt differently when they move up the levels after minor as they're not able to use physicality as much, they're up against faster, better, stronger players so it's then you might see mental frailty

At minor level the pace of the game is so fast that games can swing in a matter of minutes - I'd say mental strength isn't as much of an issue at minor level as it is at other grades tbh

I'd tend to disagree with that - often you find minor players adapt differently when they move up the levels after minor as they're not able to use physicality as much, they're up against faster, better, stronger players so it's then you might see mental frailty

At minor level the pace of the game is so fast that games can swing in a matter of minutes - I'd say mental strength isn't as much of an issue at minor level as it is at other grades tbh
    Look at the amount of games that are won and lost on momentum at this level.

I've lost count of how many times a great Kerry minor team, with all the talent in the world, has crumbled because a team sticks away a goal against them.

Look at last year. Kerry were in total control against Tipperary, and because Tipp got a good run at them, Kerry couldn't stem the tide and ended up being easily beaten.

Mentally Minor teams fall to pieces when the chips are down. Senior teams generally have a good leader, who will make a hit, or a long run, or go down and kill the momentum of the other team, and allow his own team to get back in the game, but at minor they keep on taking a beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Anyone driving from Dublin to this game tonight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement