Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The talk of that Semi Final and Lyne points reminded me of how good Lyne's second half was on Saturday.

That was a cracking score he kicked and he was buzzing around the field.

He's a quality footballer, and has really cemented his place in the first 15... until Eamonn drops him for the quarter finals that is,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

keane2097 wrote: »
    TBH, considering the lauding that Keith Higgins got last year despite JOD scoring about 3-10 in two games Loughrey should be an automatic All Star after the last two weeks.
    Totally different tactics n weather. Loughrey would have got a similar burning. Mayo had no blanket. JOD was hunting scores off Donaghy. Donaghy was dominant. Keith Higgins said in Indo this week he didnt rate his own performance. JOD was gathering ball and only shaped to shoot 3 times the last day. You cant burn for 74 mins on wet ground. Do about 8 efforts n be gassed. That style of play is dry weather only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The talk of that Semi Final and Lynda points reminded me of how good Lynn's second half was on Saturday.

That was a cracking score he kicked and he was buzzing around the field.

He's a quality footballer, and has really cemented his place in the first 15... until Eamonn drops him for the quarter finals that is,

He was very poor in the 1st half Saturday though, was way off Kerrigan and repeatedly let him get inside him. Lost him way too easily for the goal for example.
    Improved massively in the second half in fairness though, defended ok and kicked a great score from 35m, which he does very well. He's far from guaranteed his place in the half back line though with Crowley to come back.

He was very poor in the 1st half Saturday though, was way off Kerrigan and repeatedly let him get inside him. Lost him way too easily for the goal for example.
    Improved massively in the second half in fairness though, defended ok and kicked a great score from 35m, which he does very well. He's far from guaranteed his place in the half back line though with Crowley to come back.

He made 2 mistakes that I could see, 1 led to the first Cork score, the second led to the goal.

He's not a,natural defender, but he's a natural footballer. He's got a lovely style of play and gets in good positions to start attacks.

I don't think he's perfect yet, but he's improved massively over the last 12 month's and is a fine player.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

interestingly enough, in Quirkes article this week he didnt even think O Donoghue was in the top 6 Kerry players last Saturday.

• Advertisement

interestingly enough, in Quirkes article this week he didnt even think O Donoghue was in the top 6 Kerry players last Saturday.

He's probably not far off there tbh.

Mahony, Enright, O'Sé, Murphy, Moran, Maher, Geaney were all outstanding for large parts, if not all, of the game.
    To be fair though, while the MOM award by Carney was ridiculous, JOD's workrate and amount of ground covered was fantastic. He wasted a good bit of ball in the first half (got blocked down, dropped shot short, gave hospital pass to Donaghy etc) but he just ploughed on and improved in the 2nd half. The last score of the game is hopefully a sign of what's to come on drier days in Croker.

Having watched the game back in its entirety now, we still gave up a few scoring opportunities too easily to Cork. A slip by Mahony let Cronin in unopposed when Kealy made the save in the 1st half, but where was Donnacha who should have been marking him? Donnacha also lost a 1 v 1 v Cronin for a kickout which given the size difference, shouldn't happen. Donnacha also gave 1 awful kickpass across the field in the 1st half. That aside though he was good. Has to start when fit now and that wasn't always my opinion on him.
    Buckley sat back and was too static defending. Brian O'Driscoll was involved in around 5/6 Cork attacks in the first 20 mins and scored 1 pt himself. I don't think Johnny is 100% fit so hopefully he regains his confidence and has a say in events yet.
    Sheehan worked hard enough, but needs to be careful with the tackling. Kerrigan dived trying to get him a black card in the first half but Sheehan did have a tug at his jersey rather than make a proper tackle attempt. If he's going any bit well at all, he'll be a huge asset to us as his dead ball kicking could have a huge bearing.
    Lyne was loose enough in the first half, which you can't afford on Kerrigan, and the goal came from it, but also a pointed free and a few other chances. He did better in the second half in fairness and kicked a good point himself. Bit of work on the defending needed but he's a useful player.

Apart from that, things were largely ok. The long ball to Donaghy was obviously over done at times, but the attacking formation could well change from here on out so won't be too critical of that.

If we keep everyone fit and focused, we'll have a big say in the destination of Sam yet. Lot of people writing us off based on the 2 games v Cork which suits fine. Should get over the 1/4 final without too much fuss and then have a crunch game in semi. The real stuff starts now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Lot of people writing us off based on the 2 games v Cork which suits fine. Should get over the 1/4 final without too much fuss and then have a crunch game in semi. The real stuff starts now!

Yerra will ye get out of that! You Kerry boys love thinking people are writing you off when in reality most people are saying you're probably the only nailed on certainties for one of the semi final spots (I'm assuming Dublin get Cork in the last 8 so can't say it is a nailed on win for them). Nobody is writing you off so enough of that guff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sheehan worked hard enough, but needs to be careful with the tackling. Kerrigan dived trying to get him a black card in the first half but Sheehan did have a tug at his jersey rather than make a proper tackle attempt. If he's going any bit well at all, he'll be a huge asset to us as his dead ball kicking could have a huge bearing.

Take away his free-taking and I thought he had a very average game in general play. I said before that playing himself and Buckley in the half-forward line together is a bad idea as it leaves us very exposed to a team with any half-backs with any sort of pace, especially when you have Moran and Maher behind them - you're basically leaving a huge area of the centre of the pitch to 4 fairly slow guys. I thought it was significant as well that things improved significantly with Sheehan moving out of midfield - looking back I think Buckley would have been a better option there the first day with Maher out - his pace wouldn't have been as big an issue and he would have been far more likely to curb Alan O'Connor's influence. I have serious concerns about having to carrying Sheehan on the team pretty much solely for his free-taking - you look at how disciplined the likes of Monaghan and Donegal have been in terms of giving away scoreable free kicks when their blanket is working well, and you have to seriously wonder if it would be worth-while having him start against the likes of them given his contribution in general play.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Yerra will ye get out of that! You Kerry boys love thinking people are writing you off when in reality most people are saying you're probably the only nailed on certainties for one of the semi final spots (I'm assuming Dublin get Cork in the last 8 so can't say it is a nailed on win for them). Nobody is writing you off so enough of that guff! :D

watch back the recent games analysis and you will see different, all the pundits thinks we are a team with many problems and we wont retain our all ireland.

people in GAA are like sheep, they believe the hype or the criticism and right now, Kerry are probably 3rd favourites in most peoples eyes.

i seen reference last week even after beating Cork as us being a "poor team".

right now, Kerry are probably 3rd favourites in most peoples eyes.
    3rd favourites with 1st and 2nd favourites on the other side of the draw! Hardly written off is it? You won't find any pundit worthwhile saying that Kerry won't be in the last 4 and if it all goes to plan they will be facing Monaghan there where they will be strong favourites so in all likelihood Kerry are favourites to be in the final again this year - and I don't think any pundit would argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Horsebox4

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Take away his free-taking and I thought he had a very average game in general play. I said before that playing himself and Buckley in the half-forward line together is a bad idea as it leaves us very exposed to a team with any half-backs with any sort of pace, especially when you have Moran and Maher behind them - you're basically leaving a huge area of the centre of the pitch to 4 fairly slow guys. I thought it was significant as well that things improved significantly with Sheehan moving out of midfield - looking back I think Buckley would have been a better option there the first day with Maher out - his pace wouldn't have been as big an issue and he would have been far more likely to curb Alan O'Connor's influence. I have serious concerns about having to carrying Sheehan on the team pretty much solely for his free-taking - you look at how disciplined the likes of Monaghan and Donegal have been in terms of giving away scoreable free kicks when their blanket is working well, and you have to seriously wonder if it would be worth-while having him start against the likes of them given his contribution in general play.

I do not agree with this post at all but of course you're entitled to your opinion. Sheehan for me is a superb footballer and is not a passenger on this team. First of all he is our only long range free taker, he is a good fielder of the ball, he is an excellent foot passer of the ball and well able to take a score from play. He is a must on the starting 15 for me and as well as Johnny Buckley has played in the last couple of years he really needs good form ASAP!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Horsebox4 wrote: »
    I do not agree with this post at all but of course you're entitled to your opinion. Sheehan for me is a superb footballer and is not a passenger on this team. First of all he is our only long range free taker, he is a good fielder of the ball, he is an excellent foot passer of the ball and well able to take a score from play. He is a must on the starting 15 for me and as well as Johnny Buckley has played in the last couple of years he really needs good form ASAP!!

It's worth reading the above post again, considering it took nearly 3 years to write:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Horsebox4

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It's worth reading the above post again, considering it took nearly 3 years to write:)

Ha ha, I haven't posted since last year so not sure why it went back to 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kerry are as good as in a semi final and very warm favourites to win same irrespective of whom they meet.
    In addition whoever does reach the final from the other side of the draw.. Dublin,Donegal or Mayo or who ever will have a tougher route from the quarter final on.
    Kerry are in fact second favourites for the All Ireland and quite short odds at that considering the inevitable amount of money that is placed on Dublin.

Guff? Go and have a read of reservoirdubs there if you don't believe me. Dismissive is the only word to describe some of the posts after the Munster final. Thin line between confidence and arrogance though in fairness and Dublin ARE the barometer right now.

Not to dismiss what you say completely because, yes we should almost certainly make the semi finals, but it's a different ball game from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

watch back the recent games analysis and you will see different, all the pundits thinks we are a team with many problems and we wont retain our all ireland.

people in GAA are like sheep, they believe the hype or the criticism and right now, Kerry are probably 3rd favourites in most peoples eyes.

i seen reference last week even after beating Cork as us being a "poor team".

Kerry playing poorly in a non knock out game, in July, is one thing. Kerry playing poorly in a knock out game, in Croke Park, in September, is another thing entirely. Anyone who thinks that the former happening, automatically means that Kerry are poor team and should be dismissed for the rest of the year, doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. Add in that they are the current AI champs & it's an even more ridiculous notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I'd call it a Dublin notion. The great Dublin 1 in a row team of 2013 look unbeatable again for the 6th time this decade.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Kerry playing poorly in a non knock out game, in July, is one thing. Kerry playing poorly in a knock out game, in Croke Park, in September, is another thing entirely. Anyone who thinks that the former happening, automatically means that Kerry are poor team and should be dismissed for the rest of the year, doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. Add in that they are the current AI champs & it's an even more ridiculous notion.

I agree entirely..the real championship has just started. You need to tell some of your colleagues though as some of the recent posts on the Dublin thread here would seem to lean towards the "doesn't deserve to be taken seriously" bracket!

Listen, I spoke to a Dublin fan at the league semi finals who is 100% convinced the Dublin county board took a bribe to throw the AI semi against Donegal last year ... I wouldn't pay too much attention to what a lot of Dublin fans say! Not saying there aren't genuine decent Dublin fans out there, just that they would seem to have a fairly high quote of numpties in their midst as well (and these tend to be louder!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I took issue with a Cork fan over on the Cork thread who dismissed Kerry as not just a "poor team" but "a very poor team". So you get em everywhere. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Listen, I spoke to a Dublin fan at the league semi finals who is 100% convinced the Dublin county board took a bribe to throw the AI semi against Donegal last year ... I wouldn't pay too much attention to what a lot of Dublin fans say! Not saying there aren't genuine decent Dublin fans out there, just that they would seem to have a fairly high quote of numpties in their midst as well (and these tend to be louder!).

I agree totally. There's a few Donegal lads I wouldn't listen to either, but then again it's hard not to big Donegal up all the same, since they have 15 huge, natural footballers with PhDs and huge flutes !!!!

Not saying there aren't genuine decent Donegal fans out there. :)

I agree entirely..the real championship has just started. You need to tell some of your colleagues though as some of the recent posts on the Dublin thread here would seem to lean towards the "doesn't deserve to be taken seriously" bracket!

I won't be telling anyone anything boss. I'm not responsible for what anyone else says or thinks. What I think is that Kerry were definitely not firing on all cylinders in the drawn Munster final. I think that the summer has come a bit too soon for the Gooch. Given the extent of his injuries, I think he needs a few more months of solid game time under his belt, before he is back to optimal fitness. I think that Donaghy won't be as effective this year, as he was last year, as the surprise factor is now gone.

I also thought that over all Kerry looked leggy & lethargic & that the fight and intensity that Cork brought to the table took them by surprise. Was that thanks to Tomas O'Se playing silly buggers with everyones heads....we'll never know. It doesn't matter, as they won't be that leggy and lethargic come August/September. They never are. They may be beaten by a team that plays better than them on the day, but they certainly won't be caught on the hop again. That's not the Kerry way. I'd imagine that most people had thoughts along those same lines. It's not exactly rocket science.

However, some Kerry people do tend to over react when the national media and punters in general, stop for two seconds & actually think about what they just saw on the pitch. When the non stop, unquestioning, adoration of Kerrys glorious history and tradition, stops for all of two seconds, it doesn't sit well with them. They get very defensive about being disrespected and dismissed, when that is not the general narrative at all.

It's just people reacting to what they see on the pitch, with maybe a smidgin of wishful thinking thrown in for good measure, seeing as its Kerry. There will be the odd muppet here and there who goes a bit too far, but every county has them. Their rather over the top pronouncements are rarely the prevailing majority opinion & their fellow county men are fairly quick to pull them up on it. That happens all the time over on Res Dubs, but people only see and remember the posts that piss them off and they skim over the sane and rational ones.

Isn't it great that none of those muppets, or the overly defensive Kerry types post on here? T'wud be a terrible chore if they did. :D

I won't be telling anyone anything boss. I'm not responsible for what anyone else says or thinks. What I think is that Kerry were definitely not firing on all cylinders in the drawn Munster final. I think that the summer has come a bit too soon for the Gooch. Given the extent of his injuries, I think he needs a few more months of solid game time under his belt, before he is back to optimal fitness. I think that Donaghy won't be as effective this year, as he was last year, as the surprise factor is now gone.

I also thought that over all Kerry looked leggy & lethargic & that the fight and intensity that Cork brought to the table took them by surprise. Was that thanks to Tomas O'Se playing silly buggers with everyones heads....we'll never know. It doesn't matter, as they won't be that leggy and lethargic come August/September. They never are. They may be beaten by a team that plays better than them on the day, but they certainly won't be caught on the hop again. That's not the Kerry way. I'd imagine that most people had thoughts along those same lines. It's not exactly rocket science.

However, some Kerry people do tend to over react when the national media and punters in general, stop for two seconds & actually think about what they just saw on the pitch. When the non stop, unquestioning, adoration of Kerrys glorious history and tradition, stops for all of two seconds, it doesn't sit well with them. They get very defensive about being disrespected and dismissed, when that is not the general narrative at all.

It's just people reacting to what they see on the pitch, with maybe a smidgin of wishful thinking thrown in for good measure, seeing as its Kerry. There will be the odd muppet here and there who goes a bit too far, but every county has them. Their rather over the top pronouncements are rarely the prevailing majority opinion & their fellow county men are fairly quick to pull them up on it. That happens all the time over on Res Dubs, but people only see and remember the posts that piss them off and they skim over the sane and rational ones.

Isn't it great that none of those muppets, or the overly defensive Kerry types post on here? T'wud be a terrible chore if they did. :D

I can't disagree with most of that, but the bit in bold is what slightly irks me. Again, it's slightly of our own making as there are people who go on about the past too much, but for the most part this gets overblown to me.

Gaelic football has changed so much in the last 20 years alone that All Irelands or players back in the day don't have a huge relevance. Some of the older generation really struggle and only begrudgingly (if ever at all) admit that the game and those playing it now are superior than previous generations, although to be fair the game (rules etc) has changed so much it's hard to even compare.

I think 1 thing that possibly drives non-Kerry football fans nuts is the amount of ex-Kerry players active in the media. I can't argue with that, there are a lot of them and while Dara O'Cinnéide and Tomás are often interesting to read, I wouldn't even look at a lot of the rest of it myself. Then there is also some of the old school GAA writers who lived through the Kerry/Dublin" era of the 70's and 80's and regularly relive those through their work, which is of little interest to many.

The recent Conor McCarthy article was as much of a reaction or return of fire as anything else, so I for one wouldn't argue much. I think every team I've ever seen tried to influence the referee to some degree anyway, so I don't see the big issue. I must say, the reaction of a few people was totally ridiculous. If someone said "Kerry only ever won anything because of referees" I would call it idiotic, but that's not what was said at all.

Anyway, hoping we can forget it and let on-pitch matters take centre stage from now on.
    Can't wait for the Gooch to score the winning point against Dublin in the final now that you have written him off..:pac:

I can't disagree with most of that, but the bit in bold is what slightly irks me. Again, it's slightly of our own making as there are people who go on about the past too much, but for the most part this gets overblown to me.

Gaelic football has changed so much in the last 20 years alone that All Irelands or players back in the day don't have a huge relevance. Some of the older generation really struggle and only begrudgingly (if ever at all) admit that the game and those playing it now are superior than previous generations, although to be fair the game (rules etc) has changed so much it's hard to even compare.

I think 1 thing that possibly drives non-Kerry football fans nuts is the amount of ex-Kerry players active in the media. I can't argue with that, there are a lot of them and while Dara O'Cinnéide and Tomás are often interesting to read, I wouldn't even look at a lot of the rest of it myself. Then there is also some of the old school GAA writers who lived through the Kerry/Dublin" era of the 70's and 80's and regularly relive those through their work, which is of little interest to many.

The recent Conor McCarthy article was as much of a reaction or return of fire as anything else, so I for one wouldn't argue much. I think every team I've ever seen tried to influence the referee to some degree anyway, so I don't see the big issue. I must say, the reaction of a few people was totally ridiculous. If someone said "Kerry only ever won anything because of referees" I would call it idiotic, but that's not what was said at all.

Anyway, hoping we can forget it and let on-pitch matters take centre stage from now on.
    Can't wait for the Gooch to score the winning point against Dublin in the final now that you have written him off..:pac:

Oh FFS. I never said I was writing him off. I merely said that his injuries may not have him operating at peak fitness this year. No reason at all, why he can't come back as good as new with some more game time under belt. And another thing.... A-ha ! I see what you did there. Nicely played ! :D

Fair play to your for acknowledging the huge role that former Kerry players have in the media. But you can't dismiss it all that easily, just because you think only O'Cinnide and Tomas are decent reads. Their over whelming dominance of the media - heretofore known as The Kerry Media Mafia ;) - means that they get to set the agenda & influence peoples opinions.

Whether people want to admit it or not, it does happen. The non stop banging on and on about their history and tradition, just reinforces the weaker minded in our midst, that everything that comes out of their mouths must always be true.The very existence of the KMM means that very, very little negative stuff about Kerry ever emerges. When it does it does, it rarely gathers traction. The KMM come out in full force to counteract it & sweep any mention of dark arts under the carpet. No other county has that power, so can you wonder why it pisses people off?

The reaction to the McCarthy article was hilarious. The gas thing is that not a week goes by, where Daragh O'Se isn't telling people about Kerrys innate cuteness, how they instinctively know what to do to gain the mental edge over their opponent, the importance of laying down a marker your man when the ref isn't looking....blah blah blah.

But he is very cute. He doesn't reveal any state secrets. He does it in a ....nudge, nudge, wink wink, shure aren't we all just harmless aul divils who wouldn't hurt a fly and, here's yet another story about Paudi to show why... manner. A month or so ago he was banging on about targeting the other sides main man. I believe the phrase he used was "hammer the hammer", but it was all typical nudge, nudge guff.

But then McCarthy calls it as it actually is and now he is Public Enemy #1. It really is gas, coz in the replay Alan O'Connor - the MOTM in the first game - winds up with a yellow card, a mere 5 minutes into the game. Yet people are supposed shut up and to think that is a coincidence? Right you are....fair enough...move along now....nothing to see here....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh FFS. I never said I was writing him off. I merely said that his injuries may not have him operating at peak fitness this year. No reason at all, why he can't come back as good as new with some more game time under belt. And another thing.... A-ha ! I see what you did there. Nicely played ! :D

Fair play to your for acknowledging the huge role that former Kerry players have in the media. But you can't dismiss it all that easily, just because you think only O'Cinnide and Tomas are decent reads. Their over whelming dominance of the media - heretofore known as The Kerry Media Mafia ;) - means that they get to set the agenda & influence peoples opinions.

Whether people want to admit it or not, it does happen. The non stop banging on and on about their history and tradition, just reinforces the weaker minded in our midst, that everything that comes out of their mouths must always be true.The very existence of the KMM means that very, very little negative stuff about Kerry ever emerges. When it does it does, it rarely gathers traction. The KMM come out in full force to counteract it & sweep any mention of dark arts under the carpet. No other county has that power, so can you wonder why it pisses people off?

The reaction to the McCarthy article was hilarious. The gas thing is that not a week goes by, where Daragh O'Se isn't telling people about Kerrys innate cuteness, how they instinctively know what to do to gain the mental edge over their opponent, the importance of laying down a marker your man when the ref isn't looking....blah blah blah.

But he is very cute. He doesn't reveal any state secrets. He does it in a ....nudge, nudge, wink wink, shure aren't we all just harmless aul divils who wouldn't hurt a fly and, here's yet another story about Paudi to show why... manner. A month or so ago he was banging on about targeting the other sides main man. I believe the phrase he used was "hammer the hammer", but it was all typical nudge, nudge guff.

But then McCarthy calls it as it actually is and now he is Public Enemy #1. It really is gas, coz in the replay Alan O'Connor - the MOTM in the first game - winds up with a yellow card, a mere 5 minutes into the game. Yet people are supposed shut up and to think that is a coincidence? Right you are....fair enough...move along now....nothing to see here....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

First off, Alan O'Connor got a yellow in the replay because he struck Paul Geaney right in front of the ref, which was idiotic.

Secondly, "hammer the hammer" means turning the oppositions strength into a weakness, NOT "lets take X out of the game off the ball".

Thirdly, you keep banging on about the media for some reason..the only way Darragh or anyone else will have any influence whatsover is when people like you read everything he writes and takes it seriously.

Imagine if someone produced a thorough critique of all Roy Curtis columns about the Dubs and tried to say this was evidence that all Dublin fans were idiots?

It's all about what happens on the field as far as I'm concerned and if people stopped taking notice of the mostly bogstandard output (with a few honourable exceptions.) that passes for GAA journalism in this country, we'd all be better off. Jim McGuinness has been writing a decent column lately, so would add him to the likes of Tony McEntee, Tomás, Kieran Shannon and the odd bit from others in the worthwhile category. Breheny, McGee etc are a waste of time for students of modern Gaelic Football IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If we're mentioning sports writers then Eamonn Sweeney deserves a mention - best in the business so far as I'm concerned although he'd come under sports writer moreso than GAA

Do you know what's really annoying. People are still going on and on and on about that penalty as if it was the blast kick of the game and we snatched a draw in the last seconds.

The penalty was given with 17 minutes to go in the game, add on 3 minutes of injury time and that still gives Kerry 20 minutes to close a 3 point gap.

We kicked 1-3 in 5 minutes against Mayo last year in the Semi Final when momentum was totally against us.

We have pulled plenty of games out of the fire, but for some unknown reason everyone is acting as if without this penalty Kerry would have never been able to score those 3 points in the closing stages.

If we're 3 points down, Maher doesn't tap the ball over the bar, he slips it to the unmarked Donnacha Walsh, who could easily bang it into the net.

Without the first penalty being given, Geaney might get his penalty instead of shooting wide.

So much for the Kerry Mafia in the media with this horse****e still being trotted out 3 weeks after the event.

It's all about what happens on the field as far as I'm concerned and if people stopped taking notice of the mostly bogstandard output (with a few honourable exceptions.) that passes for GAA journalism in this country, we'd all be better off.

So true ... but I think you're being very unfair on Darragh putting him in comparison with Roy Curtis! TBH I don't think Roy Curtis even deserves to be listed as a GAA journalist at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Do you know what's really annoying. People are still going on and on and on about that penalty as if it was the blast kick of the game and we snatched a draw in the last seconds.

The penalty was given with 17 minutes to go in the game, add on 3 minutes of injury time and that still gives Kerry 20 minutes to close a 3 point gap.

We kicked 1-3 in 5 minutes against Mayo last year in the Semi Final when momentum was totally against us.

We have pulled plenty of games out of the fire, but for some unknown reason everyone is acting as if without this penalty Kerry would have never been able to score those 3 points in the closing stages.

If we're 3 points down, Maher doesn't tap the ball over the bar, he slips it to the unmarked Donnacha Walsh, who could easily bang it into the net.

Without the first penalty being given, Geaney might get his penalty instead of shooting wide.

So much for the Kerry Mafia in the media with this horse****e still being trotted out 3 weeks after the event.

When I seen that Brolly was on last night,I knew he would say something about the penalty in the drawn game,as you said you would swear it was last minute of the game!! Cork recovered well after the penalty and continued to take the game to us and we were lucky to get the draw in the end.

As for GAA journalists Roy Curtis should be avoided no matter what sport he is writing about,a bandwagon journalist if there ever was one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Joe Brolly seems to have some other personal issue with the ref imo.
    Roy Curtis must be the luckiest man alive to have a job as a sports journalist. He's a wannabe poet, half the time you have to read his articles a few times to understand what he's on about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement