Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Do you know what's really annoying. People are still going on and on and on about that penalty as if it was the blast kick of the game and we snatched a draw in the last seconds.

The penalty was given with 17 minutes to go in the game, add on 3 minutes of injury time and that still gives Kerry 20 minutes to close a 3 point gap.

We kicked 1-3 in 5 minutes against Mayo last year in the Semi Final when momentum was totally against us.

We have pulled plenty of games out of the fire, but for some unknown reason everyone is acting as if without this penalty Kerry would have never been able to score those 3 points in the closing stages.

If we're 3 points down, Maher doesn't tap the ball over the bar, he slips it to the unmarked Donnacha Walsh, who could easily bang it into the net.

Without the first penalty being given, Geaney might get his penalty instead of shooting wide.

So much for the Kerry Mafia in the media with this horse****e still being trotted out 3 weeks after the event.

The reason is simple.

People want the narrative that the ref robbed their team, so they pick one incident and declare it decided the game so they can have a good cry.

I talked about this in another thread recently. You get it reflexively from the Mayos now (god help us) with Shane Enright's black card with no interest in discussing the yellow he was on, their dirty tricks with Lee Keegan, the refs reluctance to give Kerry anything in the second half of the first game etc.

All irrelevant, JUST the black card. That was what done it.

Against Cork, the same narrative. We wuz wobbed, so JUST the pelanty.

No Mark Collins half marathon up the sideline, no O'Brien penalty, no Geaney penalty etc etc, JUST the JOD pelanty because that was what done it.

The worst thing in this was actually that Padraig Hughes ended up getting decorated again the last day for perfectly valid black cards so all the whingers could say "see, see, he's terrible".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Some people seriously overestimate the influence that a handful of ghost written media columns can have. The best thing you can do to avoid all this "we woz robbed so we woz" nonsense is simply to let Kildare win on Sunday. ;)

To Kerry's credit there was very little moaning about Denis O'Dwyer's goal being ruled out in the 1998 semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Some people seriously overestimate the influence that a handful of ghost written media columns can have. The best thing you can do to avoid all this "we woz robbed so we woz" nonsense is simply to let Kildare win on Sunday. ;)

To Kerry's credit there was very little moaning about Denis O'Dwyer's goal being ruled out in the 1998 semi final.

I was 8 at the time and did plenty of moaning. :P

That was possibly worse then 2001 and getting hammered by Meath for me because we were spat at by Kildare fans and had things thrown at the bus after the game.

Obviously it was just a group of idiots, and the Jersey they had on is irrelevant, but I still can't fathom how you could spit at a family with an 8 and 10 year old after winning a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I was 8 at the time and did plenty of moaning. :P

That was possibly worse then 2001 and getting hammered by Meath for me because we were spat at by Kildare fans and had things thrown at the bus after the game.

Obviously it was just a group of idiots, and the Jersey they had on is irrelevant, but I still can't fathom how you could spit at a family with an 8 and 10 year old after winning a game.
    Was at that game also, was 10 & barely remember it tbh barring screaming about how much Lacey was fouling Maurice off the ball

That's absolutely bonkers stuff though - spitting? Despicable stuff altogether!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think that's fair. There was a bit of luck but that goes with the territory. I was fully behind mayo's plight in the first game against you lads last year, but that was not the case in the first Cork game. Cork had the chance to win that game in the end and it was not Kerry luck, but Corks failure to do it that resulted in the draw. Even if they just played it around they would have won.

If Cork won it wouldnt really matter that much imho. They were not going to go much further and the Kerry would have beaten them further down the road. It was a Munster championship on the line a big deal but not that big of a deal. Cork might be better off with the shock factor had they won the first game it may have papered over the cracks. They might act now.

Imho Brolly has an issue with Kerry alright I find it a bit amusing and I'm glad he's pointed at you and not us.
    Taking Kerry on and having it recognized that you are no angels (like the rest of us) helps his agenda to validate Ulster football at every opportunity.

To be honest I've never met a Kerry person who believed that they were the fairest and cleanest footballers, it's others labelling them as much. Very little you can do about it. Indeed after games many highlight an admiration of Roy O'Carroll, possibly Dublins most attentive defender.

Journalists love creating something so that they can knock it down. Billy Keane recent offering about how he was "in" on a plan to big Dublin up last year so that he could play his part in their ultimate demise was a huge eye opener into his own opinion of himself and what length he'll go to protect his brand.
    Essentially he wiped all the positive material he wrote about Dublin last year (ultimately inaccurate) away, claiming he knew what was down the line and he was part of a movement against Dublin to over hype them.

Absolute BS, he called it wrong and is atttempting to reverse engineer a situation where he was both active and correct. "Never believe" we were told, whatever they write, they will ultimately be correct as they will retro construct a reality where they are always right. If he truly was a cute ***** he would have said nothing so he could do it again, but his ego couldn't handle being wrong.

Roy Curtis is another one, I can't read about Connellys performance in the club final year before last again. I was at the game, great goal but it was not an intercounty defense. His offerings beside massive photographs offer little insight and they contain zero useful information for Dublin fans and only annoy the non Dublin fans becuae it's about Dublin again.

Those guys live in the land where they use as many superlatives as possible when writting about Connelly and Cooper as it safe .

When they are wrong they seem to want to pretent it was intentional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

D'Agger wrote: »
    Was at that game also, was 10 & barely remember it tbh barring screaming about how much Lacey was fouling Maurice off the ball

That's absolutely bonkers stuff though - spitting? Despicable stuff altogether!

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying all Kildare fans are like that, or that it wouldn't have happened with another county. Idiots are idiots regardless of what colour Jersey they wear.

Doesn't stop me harbouring an additional desire to beat Kildare every time we play, regardless of how irrational that may be. :P

Anything less then a 24 point drubbing won't be satisfying for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Ah 1998...the Adidas jerseys, Reigning champions, Páidí prowling the sidelines, Maurice cracking home a great goal in Killarney..but then the horror show against Kildare. :(

Playing William Kirby wing forward, Denis Dwyer's disallowed goal, Maurice Fitz missing about 10 kickable frees, Dara O'Cinnéide kicking aimless ball up the air all day..then getting delayed for 90 mins going through Kildare town because those bedsheet-clad f*ckers were clogging the streets celebrating and jumping on every single car with a KY reg..

Sounds weird to say about a 1 point defeat but it definitely WAS worse than 2001 in some ways.

We got some revenge in 2002 in Thurles and the u21 final of 2008 of course.

In fairness I actually have a lot of time for Kildare. I know quite a lot of lads from there who are hardcore football men. The club scene there is pretty intense and of a high quality.

I might aswell get this out of the way. Guaranteed as the game gets closer you are going to see some of the following thrown out in the media. There will probably be a 2 page column by Weeshie on it at the very least anyway.

- Very strong links between Kerry and Kildare going back over the years. Kerry's first All Ireland was won by beating Kildare in 1903 in Cork Athletic Grounds (where PUC was built). Didn't make that game myself, but a Kerry side containing legendary figures like JP O'Sullivan, Dick Fitzgerald and Austin Stack won only after a 3rd encounter.

Kerry and Kildare contested 4 finals between 1926 and 1931 with Kerry winning 3.

Many Kerry lads have played with Kildare clubs over the years. Pat McCarthy who was midfield in 1975 joined the Sallins club from his native Churchill. Jack O'Shea has given years of service to Leixlip GAA since joining them in the 80s. Then of course you had the Micko years, not forgetting that his son Karl played a huge part in Kildare's successes of that era also. -

We can get to, you know, analysing the actual game, later in the week. :D

D'Agger wrote: »
    If we're mentioning sports writers then Eamonn Sweeney deserves a mention - best in the business so far as I'm concerned although he'd come under sports writer moreso than GAA

Hmm..well occasionally he has some decent columns, but a lot of the time I disagree vehemently with him also. He has a 1930's attitude to rugby aswell, which annoys me.

That being said, he regularly calls out RTE for the crap quality of their sports coverage which I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I might aswell get this out of the way. Guaranteed as the game gets closer you are going to see some of the following thrown out in the media. There will probably be a 2 page column by Weeshie on it at the very least anyway.

- Very strong links between Kerry and Kildare going back over the years. Kerry's first All Ireland was won by beating Kildare in 1903 in Cork Athletic Grounds (where PUC was built). Didn't make that game myself, but a Kerry side containing legendary figures like JP O'Sullivan, Dick Fitzgerald and Austin Stack won only after a 3rd encounter.

Kerry and Kildare contested 4 finals between 1926 and 1931 with Kerry winning 3.

Many Kerry lads have played with Kildare clubs over the years. Pat McCarthy who was midfield in 1975 joined the Sallins club from his native Churchill. Jack O'Shea has given years of service to Leixlip GAA since joining them in the 80s. Then of course you had the Micko years, not forgetting that his son Karl played a huge part in Kildare's successes of that era also. -

We can get to, you know, analysing the actual game, later in the week. :D

Sure why not?!

Pat McCarthy also went on to become a Kildare selector during Micko's second stint in Kildare.

Jacko's daughter Orla plays for Confey and the Kildare ladies. His son Aidan would have played underage football for Leixlip. Seamus Moynihan's older brother also played for Leixlip and was on the Kildare panel for a while in the late eighties.

Former Kildare county board chairman Andrew O'Sullivan is a Kerryman and uncle of Johnny Crowley. His son Trevor was a selector with Jason Ryan.

Damien Hendy current Kildare selector played with Currow and Tralee RTC during the 1990s.

Kerry coach Cian O'Neill would have trained quite a few of the Kildare players who were minors in 2009 and 2010. He was instrumental in getting Jack O'Connor's two sons to join Moorefield.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The reason is simple.

People want the narrative that the ref robbed their team, so they pick one incident and declare it decided the game so they can have a good cry.

I talked about this in another thread recently. You get it reflexively from the Mayos now (god help us) with Shane Enright's black card with no interest in discussing the yellow he was on, their dirty tricks with Lee Keegan, the refs reluctance to give Kerry anything in the second half of the first game etc.

All irrelevant, JUST the black card. That was what done it.

Against Cork, the same narrative. We wuz wobbed, so JUST the pelanty.

No Mark Collins half marathon up the sideline, no O'Brien penalty, no Geaney penalty etc etc, JUST the JOD pelanty because that was what done it.

The worst thing in this was actually that Padraig Hughes ended up getting decorated again the last day for perfectly valid black cards so all the whingers could say "see, see, he's terrible".

In fairness Keano,while 90% of that post is completely accurate, Hughes didn't give a stonewall penalty to Fermanagh the last day again, which could have had a huge bearing on the game. It's being glossed over a bit because they won.

I've said for years he is an atrocious ref and the fact he is refereeing big games is indicative of the poor standard out there IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fairness Keano,while 90% of that post is completely accurate, Hughes didn't give a stonewall penalty to Fermanagh the last day again, which could have had a huge bearing on the game. It's being glossed over a bit because they won.

I've said for years he is an atrocious ref and the fact he is refereeing big games is indicative of the poor standard out there IMO.

I remember that incident now you mention it.

Would you care to hazard a guess as to why he may have been reluctant to award a penalty?

keane2097 wrote: »
    I remember that incident now you mention it.

Would you care to hazard a guess as to why he may have been reluctant to award a penalty?

I don't know for sure is the honest answer.

The lads on the Sunday game (well, Whelan..Brolly was just ripping him to shreds!) were speculating that he mightn't have had the greatest view of it..I just think he is a poor and indecisive decision maker. Look at his uncertain body language as soon as he blew the whistle for the penalty in Killarney..you could almost see his mind thinking "oh sh*t, what do I do"..

While I'm on the topic of referees, a guy who has on occasion got (deservedly) some flak, I thought Marty Duffy handled the Cork v Kildare game very well on Saturday. 1 thing that stood out was that he didn't buy the old trick of forwards holding the defenders hand under their arm and looking for a free. He also didn't hesitate in red carding Kevin O'Driscoll when he could have taken the "ah shur the game is over anyway" angle a lot of refs would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

David Coldrick ref for Kerry V Kildare.

Padraig OSullivan from Firies (club) doing Dublin V Fermanagh

David Coldrick ref for Kerry V Kildare.

Padraig OSullivan from Firies (club) doing Dublin V Fermanagh

Coldrick is probably the best ref out there at the moment. Pity is, it probably rules him out of doing a potential semi final, in which the referee will be influential no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

I don't mean to be a tell tale folks, I have massive respect for Kerry men and the occasional Kerry woman alike.....

But over on the Mayo gaa thread they are doing awful Maurice Fitzgerald bashing....

Certain sections of the Mayo gaa fan page are calling him a cheat, a sunbed loafer strung out on performance enhancing drugs prior to drug testing featuring in the Gaelic scene

"They were all at it" was another Mayo mans cry.....

"Sure isn't that why the gooch is on the bench all season, now drug testing is mandatory they're too scared to risk him being caught" was another Mayo woman's claims ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a tell tale folks, I have massive respect for Kerry men and the occasional Kerry woman alike.....

But over on the Mayo gaa thread they are doing awful Maurice Fitzgerald bashing....

Certain sections of the Mayo gaa fan page are calling him a cheat, a sunbed loafer strung out on performance enhancing drugs prior to drug testing featuring in the Gaelic scene

"They were all at it" was another Mayo mans cry.....

"Sure isn't that why the gooch is on the bench all season, now drug testing is mandatory they're too scared to risk him being caught" was another Mayo woman's claims ....

Cool story bro

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

First off, Alan O'Connor got a yellow in the replay because he struck Paul Geaney right in front of the ref, which was idiotic.

<Mod SNIP - completely uncalled for>

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kildare V Cork in Thurlus in important last qualifier round game - less than 4,000 people there.

Kerry V Tipp in munster semi final - stands so packed that they need to open the second one, causing a big delay to the start of the game and estimated crowds of 15-20,000 people

myths busted - Kerry folk dont travel and the provincial championship is dead. pathetic stuff from Cork and Kildare fans the last day, perhaps the lowest ever qualifier attendance at this stage of the year and i doubt many qualifier games every go below 3,500. if Kerry were playing the last day, the crowd would have been 15,000+

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Stoner wrote: »
    <Mod SNIP - completely uncalled for>

He didn't strike him with a hand but a lot of people in the covered stand saw what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Kildare V Cork in Thurlus in important last qualifier round game - less than 4,000 people there.

Kerry V Tipp in munster semi final - stands so packed that they need to open the second one, causing a big delay to the start of the game and estimated crowds of 15-20,000 people

myths busted - Kerry folk dont travel and the provincial championship is dead. pathetic stuff from Cork and Kildare fans the last day, perhaps the lowest ever qualifier attendance at this stage of the year and i doubt many qualifier games every go below 3,500. if Kerry were playing the last day, the crowd would have been 15,000+

Few things about that. It's a very unfair comparison.

Cork had the hurling away from home the very next day as well as having 2 trips to Killarney under our belt already. There was a massive Cork contingent at the hurling game. The Kerry game was the first meaningful championship game of the summer for both sides.

Cork Kildare was in a neutral venue as opposed to Tipp - Kerry which featured a youthful Tipp team which had expectations of giving Kerry a scare playin at home. I'm sure there was a very large Tipp crowd. Although Kildare ended up playing so well, few people thought that Cork wouldn't win pretty comfortably. Obviously more Cork people faced with the choice, like myself, would choose the hurling where we got two games and where there was a greater chance that it would be the hurler's last game of the year.

You're really comparing apples with oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I always get a laugh out of this Kerry don't travel lark. Without being obnoxious, its easy to decide not to travel when you are there or there abouts most years. We travelled in 96 and 97 when we were going through a famine.

Another even bigger reason of course is the distance. I met a poor soul from Portmagee before a Kerry match last year. He had travelled up that morning. I'd hazard a guess that when he arrived in Tralee he was only half way. Some difference to hopping on the 16 bus and being back home for the six one news.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

careca wrote: »
    I always get a laugh out of this Kerry don't travel lark. Without being obnoxious, its easy to decide not to travel when you are there or there abouts most years. We travelled in 96 and 97 when we were going through a famine.

Another even bigger reason of course is the distance. I met a poor soul from Portmagee before a Kerry match last year. He had travelled up that morning. I'd hazard a guess that when he arrived in Tralee he was only half way. Some difference to hopping on the 16 bus and being back home for the six one news.

we have one of the biggest core groups of supporters, if not the biggest, per head of population in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

careca wrote: »

you'd go via Castleisland on to Abbeyfeale, not Tralee. Also, that was quite the exaggeration, more like Adare being the halfway point...but I get your drift :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Kerry supporters do travel. Anything else is just a lazy old lie that others prefer to use when they can't think of anything else.

Mark O'Connor is out for the minor game on Monday. Big loss.

Seniors have clean bill of health so far according to Radio Ky at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jaysus that commentary is British Imperialist attitude at it's finest!!

BUT, I raise you, the American version..

https://youtu.be/GZj0D6cX33s?t=30

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Delighted to see the last Cork fella didn't get away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A little error near the start where he said you can throw the ball in Gaelic Football. Good that us Dubs won. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lads on Radio Kerry this morning giving out about no Special Match Train for the game on Sunday,only one early train going up in the morning the 7am one and apparently its booked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Lads on Radio Kerry this morning giving out about no Special Match Train for the game on Sunday,only one early train going up in the morning the 7am one and apparently its booked out

Irish rail got back to them. Extra train leaving Tralee at 6:45 and only serving Tralee and Killarney. Getting into Mallow at 8:15 to connect to the cork train.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement