Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Yip, only 1 starter from last years winning team. Cork had a few players from that good rochestown team. Plus supposedly had a better forward line.

But, but, but never write off a Jack O'Conner coached team.

Not sure how cork should have been considered favourites, playing away to Kerry and Pobailscoil winning the corn ui mhuirí 4 times on the trot!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Great win, pulled it out of the bag after that goal really kicked on. The wind was a massive advantage/disadvantage to both teams, but it was a great contest with some good football played by both. Felt myself that we didnt get too much of the rub of the green of the ref but glad to get out of there with the win all the same.

It was a super team performace and very few fellas will be disappointed with how they played, but in my books Jason Foley was man of the match. He was outstanding one of the best full back performaces by a Kerry player I have seen in a long time, he is big, quick and very agile. Came out on top of all the men he was marking including both Murphy and Kingston, who were both Corks biggest threats. In truth you could pick ten or eleven of our lads that played out of their skin, both corner forwards and Gavin White who carried some great ball were very impressive also. The half forward line worked tiredlessly and sympathies to Bryan Sweeney who was caught awkwardly with a tackle at the very start of the game. I'd say we used nearly every sub and not one lad looked out of place, so that bodes well for the future.

I also just want to give some recognition to Marc O Connor, at such a young age having two Hogan Cups, Munster and All Ireland medals he has very little to prove at this grade anymore, but in injury time in normal time he pulled out a massive diving block on his own 21 which I'm 100% sure would have gone over and won Cork the game. This is the type of leadership he showed today, caught some massive ball, was pulled and dragged and very little protection from the ref, and took the game right to Cork when he had the ball. But when he was needed most, he was willing to put his body on the line and got us to extra time. A massive play and showing why he is captain of this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not sure how cork should have been considered favourites, playing away to Kerry and Pobailscoil winning the corn ui mhuirí 4 times on the trot!

Good points, but it was a commonly held view that Cork were favourites. This isn't a typical Kerry 'yerragh' attitude, just an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Kerry were favourites. This wasn't a highly rated Cork team, we that lost 4-5 players to other sports, versus a Kerry team playing in Kerry buttressed by the Corn ui Mhuiri winners. The bookies also had Kerry as warm faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Good points, but it was a commonly held view that Cork were favourites. This isn't a typical Kerry 'yerragh' attitude, just an opinion

Commonly held by who?

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Commonly held by who?
    Some GAA people I was talking to. Including some in Cork, (Douglas Gaa primarily) who expected Kingston to do wreck along with O'Duinnin

If you don't agree fine. Kerry won anyway so super.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congratulations on yere win a fine team effort as shown by ten different scorers and absolutely huge huge credit has to be given to the outstanding jack o Connor for this and also playing blanket against traditional style when needed and as a cork man I don't have any love for kerry but I know that certain men deserve whether you like him or not your respect in football and imo jack is that man
    Outstanding manager and when he takes the under twenty one team guaranteed unfortunately break cork munster dominance
    Having said all that I'm sure no one will begrudge me when I say I as cork man will go for tipp in the final
    This kerry side isn't great compares to past teams but jack will improve and evolve them as the summer goes on they will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

So who got the winner?

The lads on the radio hadn't a clue :)

Most of the media reports seem to be saying it was Mike Breen.

Looks like home advantage maybe just swung it for Kerry, not much between sides by the sounds of it. Kerry seemed to show good character when cork levelled in both normal time and extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Conor52 wrote: »
    Most of the media reports seem to be saying it was Mike Breen.

Looks like home advantage maybe just swung it for Kerry, not much between sides by the sounds of it. Kerry seemed to show good character when cork levelled in both normal time and extra time

Home advantage always helps but the main reason kerry won was tactical mastermind management where got everything out of their team and ten different scorers shows this was the ultimate team performance and when that happens it's always an outstanding reflection on management as they have instilled a confidence hunger a want and a structure and the composure when the need is greatest as it shows different players rather than an individual stepped up to the mark many times when needed

Kerry management is three cork have five in this shows how jack has support but he keeps the set up as tight knit as he can where he has ultimate control and based on he's outstanding legacy in the game you can't argue with he having major control of a set up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mike Foley from Spa - setup by Breen according to the Examiner

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

D'Agger wrote: »
    Mike Foley from Spa - setup by Breen according to the Examiner

Link

Nobody to proof read it would seem!

9bred4 wrote: »
    Nobody to proof read it would seem!
    Stop trying to take this away from the Spa club alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Always good to win a tight game especially against Cork. They came back twice and it looked like a replay was on the cards.

Jerh O'Connor and Tim Moynihan on radio Kerry would drive you to drink. There seems to be a school of thought in commentating now that you have to be talking all the time, even about the most irrelevant stuff.

A recap of the score, correct details on the identity of the subs, or the correct amount of time gone or left or maybe even the score from the other semi-final seem to be too much to ask for. Whereas we can hear all about someones granny or a random wedding somewhere in great detail. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Radio5 wrote: »
    Always good to win a tight game especially against Cork. They came back twice and it looked like a replay was on the cards.

Jerh O'Connor and Tim Moynihan on radio Kerry would drive you to drink. There seems to be a school of thought in commentating now that you have to be talking all the time, even about the most irrelevant stuff.

A recap of the score, correct details on the identity of the subs, or the correct amount of time gone or left or maybe even the score from the other semi-final seem to be too much to ask for. Whereas we can hear all about someones granny or a random wedding somewhere in great detail. Seriously.

They also had problems with the numbers on the jerseys,they couldn't make out who had the ball a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Lets say hello to mike listening in all the way from Cleveland- mike's brother john has a shop in brosna.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

An issue Jack seems to have is being a bit in front with time winding down. He seems to like adopting a "protect the lead" approach but his teams don't seem to be great at it.

Other than that he's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Thats been an issue with radio kerry for ages though, I remember one time during a league game in Killarney Weeshie could see smoke coming from a chimney in the distance, he then went on for 2 minutes talking about buns mary was obviously cooking. I had a few buns last week, they were delicious etc etc.

No chance of the score then Weeshie?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Thats been an issue with radio kerry for ages though, I remember one time during a league game in Killarney Weeshie could see smoke coming from a chimney in the distance, he then went on for 2 minutes talking about buns mary was obviously cooking. I had a few buns last week, they were delicious etc etc.

And d'juno, they were the NICEST buns I'd had in a long, LONG time *insert Legion reference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

wonga77 wrote: »

think it was a league game last year on tg4 had the radio kerry commentary playing in the backround , not sure if it was the same day that he could see balloons flying up in the air from someone's back garden , he also went into great detail on whether it was a birthday party or a christining , he has a habit of doing it when kerry are playing below par or losing at that time i supose its his way of diverting the situation the best one i heard was any time cork take the lead in a munster final he breaks in to this speech that his mother would have been delighted with that last cork score" she herself of course a kanturk woman" . . . . . . in other words he cant lose ,

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Orizio wrote: »
    Kerry were favourites. This wasn't a highly rated Cork team, we that lost 4-5 players to other sports, versus a Kerry team playing in Kerry buttressed by the Corn ui Mhuiri winners. The bookies also had Kerry as warm faves.

I suppose it alot of it was going on the players that were there from last year also, Cork had 5 starters from last years Munster final, where as we only had Kerry only had 1 carry over.

There was only 3 of this panel that won Hogan Cup/Corn ui Mhuiri also. 2 started and one was number 17. There is a big spread of players from different clubs on a Kerry Panel, 19 clubs represented on panel of 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

You should raise this issue with Radio Kerry (contact us section of their website)Commentary on Wed night was particularly bad-recognized no player-called same player several by different names -and as for shirt numbers "shure we havent been able to see them for four years now"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

stuba wrote: »
    ry few fellas will be disappointed with how they played, but in my books Jason Foley was man of the match. He was outstanding one of the best full back performaces by a Kerry player I have seen in a long time, he is big, quick and very agile.

Jason seems to be getting a huge amount of praise from all angles this week and deservidly so, he is a super athlete and hopefully can go on to be a real leader for this team and for Kerry in future years.

i know his father and family very well,his father is one of the most genuine and down to earth men in the county, Jason is in good hands there.

Senior Club semi finals were played today

Dr Crokes 1-17 Rathmore 2-10

Austin Stacks 0-11 Dingle 3-10

Intermediate Club and Junior Club semi finals will be played later on in the year,the clubs agreed to put them back due to lads heading away for the summer

Big surprise with Stacks losing

Big surprise with Stacks losing
    They were 7-2 up at one point, half finished 7 to 1-3 so good fair play for Dingle fighting back and then keeping the momentum going

Great line ran by Johnny but no.8 for Rathmore with some headless defending - stay goal side

The new Kerry GAA Centre Of Excellence that is being built in Currans and also a centre being built at IT Tralee

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/359789/Centre_Of_Excellence_Supported_at_Home_Abroad

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/gallery/323936/Centre_of_Excellence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

predictions for this weekend lads?
    Paddy power have south kerry 1.30 to beat Kilcummin, certainly wont be touching that
    Laune Rangers 2.62 to beat West Kerry?

• Advertisement

Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship gets underway this weekend - Round 1 Fixtures are as follows:
    Sat May 23rd – Extra Time – Double Bill

Austin Stacks v St Mls/F’more Austin Stack Park 5:15pm

Kerins O’Rahillys v Rathmore Austin Stack Park 7:00pm

Sat May 23rd @ 7pm – Extra Time

Shannon Rgs v Dr Crokes in Tarbert
    St Kierans v Feale Rgs in Cordal

East Kerry v Ardfert in Fitzgerald Stadium

Sun May 24th – Extra Time – Double Bill

Mid Kerry v Killarney Legion in Killorglin 1:30pm

Laune Rgs v West Kerry in Killorglin 3:00pm

Sun May 24th @ 2.30pm – Extra Time

Kilcummin v South Kerry in Kilcummin
    Kenmare District v St Brendans in Kenmare

Sun May 24th @ 4.30pm – Extra Time

Miltown/C’maine v Dingle in Milltown

Few games there that are very hard to call,the two games in Killorgin could go either way as could St Kierans and Feale Rangers,just never know with the divisional sides at this stage of the competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement