Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

has the venue for the semi been decided yet?

from reading between the lines, Cork hold all the aces here and we will be relinquishing our crown in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Club Championships kicked off this weekend

Senior Club Results

Dr Crokes 6-22 V 0-3 St Michael's Foilmore

Ardfert 2-16 V 0-15 Laune Rangers (AET)

Rathmore 3-12 V 0-15 Miltown/Castlemaine

Kerins O`Rahilly's 1-13 V 1-14 Killarney Legion

http://traleetoday.ie/photos-odonoghues-legion-knock-orahillys-out-of-club-championship/

Intermediate Club Results

Listowel Emmets 1-8 V 2-12 St Mary's

Glenflesk 2-8 V 2-12 Castleisland Desmonds

Keel 0-11 V 0-14 Kenmare

Skelligs Rangers 1-11 V 1-11 Currow

Brosna 0-8 V 1-11 An Ghaeltacht

John Mitchel's 1-10 V 1-6 Finuge

Spa 1-12 V 1-10 Annascaul

Waterville 1-10 V 0-6 Gneeveguilla

Junior Club Results

Ballymacelligott 0-19 V 2-10 Ballyduff

Castlegregory 0-11 V 0-17 Beaufort

Dromid Pearses 0-11 V 1-14 Firies

Listry 0-11 V 0-10 Cordal

Churchill 2-8 V 1-12 Na Gaeil

Scartaglin 0-4 V 0-5 Duagh

Tarbert 1-6 V 2-13 Glenbeigh-Glencar

Templenoe 3-14 V 4-5 St Patrick's Blennerville

Novice Club Results

Asdee 2-6 V 1-8 Beale

Fossa 3-10 V 4-10 Ballydonoghue

Kilgarvan 3-12 V 1-17 Ballylongford

Knocknagoshel 1-14 V 0-12 Sneem/Derrynane

Renard 2-15 V 0-7 Valentia

St Senan's 2-11 V 2-5 Cromane

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Some win by the Crokes.

Gooch with 3 from play. Bally foilmore look like they are in free fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Some win by the Crokes.

Gooch with 3 from play. Bally foilmore look like they are in free fall.

They would struggle in Intermediate at this stage.

The Draws for the Castleisland Mart Club championships were made today by Jimmy Roche from Castleisland Mart and John O'Leary PRO Kerry County Committee and resulted in the following pairings:

Senior Club Championship

Revised Round 2 Fixtures – games to be played 25th/26th April

A = Dr Crokes V Legion

B =Ardfert V Austin Stacks

Semi Finals- Games to be played on May 15/16th – Neutral Venues

1 Dr Crokes or Legion V Rathmore

2. Ardfert or Austin Stacks V Dingle

Intermediate Club Championship Quarter Finals - Games to be played 25th/26th April – 1st Named have Home Venue

1. Spa V Kenamre

2. Desmonds V Skellig Ranger or Currow

3. John Mitchel's V An Ghaeltacht

4. St Mary's V Waterville

Junior Club Championship Quarter Finals – Games to be played 25th/26th April – 1st Named have Home Venue

1. Listry V Firies

2. Glenbeigh/ Glencar V Ballymacelligott

3 Beaufort V Duagh

4. Templenoe V Na Gaeil

Novice Club Championship Quarter Finals – Games to be played 25th/26th April – 1st Named have Home Venue

1. St Senans V Renard

2. Lispole V Kilgarvan

3. Tuosist V Asdee

4. Ballydonoghue V Knocknagoshel

Extra Time applies in all games up to, but not including, the final.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/357849/Club_Championsip_Draws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ballyfoilmore dont have the numbers anymore, the two connors were a massive loss to them as well as one or two other retired players this year. On saying that, the Crokes dont let up on you, keep going right to the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ballyfoilmore dont have the numbers anymore, the two connors were a massive loss to them as well as one or two other retired players this year. On saying that, the Crokes dont let up on you, keep going right to the end

We played Ballyfoilmore in the South Kerry league about 2 weeks ago and they had a panel of 27-30 as well as that I've grown up with a few lads from there. Numbers aren't an issue for them. The problem they have is the management doesn't allow younger players to play for them. They recently lost another 2 players who swapped to Skellig Rangers because they weren't getting any time. No doubt the two Connors are a loss but the management could also be doing a lot better with what they have there.
    And just to touch on your last point, the Crokes are ruthless! No doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

They have a big panel but how many of them are good enough though? I agree with your point about the management, a few years back when they were winning alot and had their most succesful period, they stuck with the same 17-18 guys every week and nobody else got a look in. Alot of really useful players lost interest and packed in football altogether which was a shame and is coming back to haunt them now. The two Connors won the last few sk finals for them, throw in the retirement of Ronan Conor, Brian Galvin and a few more that are pushing on and its not hard to see why they are struggling.
    When you look at the other teams in SK, almost all of them are struggling for numbers, some more than others but most of them rotate and keep players interested

Good point they probably aren't good enough. But the thing about BallyF was that they were never really that great a footballing side. They just dropped the man back before it was fashionable and have a fantastic team spirit in fairness to them, and I'm from a rival club! Also there aren't too many changes to the side that won the intermediate not so long ago which is not really a great sign seeing as it wasn't a young team that won it!
    Ourselves and St Marys are probably not too stuck for numbers but I heard they are bringing in a rule where no minor can play senior which I think is a farce for us here in SK. Clubs will probably have to join down here if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not good enough is relative surely, you could shave 15 chimps and put jerseys on them and they probably wouldn't lose by 37 points.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Not good enough is relative surely, you could shave 15 chimps and put jerseys on them and they probably wouldn't lose by 37 points.

You're onto them...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've been on the end of a 6 goal belting from Crokes in my day, and that was with a team we felt could get a result from them. The problem with playing Crokes is, their panel has serious competition for places. So even when Kieran Leary, Cooper, Johnny Buckley etc. have done the damage, you still have young players involved in county minor setups, or who have represented Kerry at differing levels coming on the field, desperate to get on the board and stake a claim for a starting berth.

As poor as Foilmore were (wasn't there but one can deduce from 3 points in 60 minutes of a match they were shít) Crokes are very, very strong and on their day can do this kind of damage to a whole host of teams around the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If the championship games are going ahead this weekend when are the senior panel going to Portugal? Result in the Crokes games shows the need to change the senior championship, there are junior teams stronger than some senior teams at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Are we looking at this panel for championship ?

Brian Kelly
    Brendan Kealy
    Shane Enright
    Mark Griffin
    Fionn Fitzgerald
    Pa Kilkenny
    Jonathan Lyne
    Marc O Sé
    Jack Sherwood
    Peter Crowley
    Killian Young
    Paul Murphy
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Podge O Connor
    David Moran
    Anthony Maher
    Johnny Buckley
    Bryan Sheehan
    Donnacha Walsh
    Mikey Geaney
    Darren O Sullivan
    Tommy Walsh
    Alan Fitzgerald
    Kieran O Leary
    Colm Cooper
    Kieran Donaghy
    Paul Geaney
    James O'Donoghue
    Stephen O Brien
    Barry John Keane
    Paul Galvin

BPKS wrote: »
    If the championship games are going ahead this weekend when are the senior panel going to Portugal? Result in the Crokes games shows the need to change the senior championship, there are junior teams stronger than some senior teams at the moment.

I think they are heading off sometime during May,I read about it somewhere it might the last week in May

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

starting 15 for championship lads, assuming everybody is fit????

Kelly
    Marc
    Aidan
    Shane
    Killian
    Crowley
    Murphy
    Maher
    Moran
    Darren
    Sheehan
    Donnacha
    JOD
    Donaghy
    Geaney

that still leaves Walsh, Galvin, O brien and more fighting for a forward spot:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kelly
    Marc
    Aidan
    Shane
    Killian
    Crowley
    Murphy
    Maher
    Moran
    Darren
    Sheehan
    Donnacha
    JOD
    Donaghy
    Geaney

that still leaves Walsh, Galvin, O brien and more fighting for a forward spot:eek::eek:
    Colm%20Half-400x400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Colm%20Half-400x400.jpg
    1.Ah that fella will never make it; too light and small for the modern game. He should stick with the club.

2. Also this guy will be a starter:

JohnnyBuckley.jpg
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Fsport%2Fgaelic-games%2Fgaelic-football%2Fbuckley-thriving-after-earlier-start-with-kingdom-31071815.html&ei=80I3Ve6RAoO1yQSRlYDADA&bvm=bv.91427555,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNGCGQFfA1UTd2CAqwmWkdUx4OzDdw&ust=1429771372641489

Buckley will definitely start. Donnchadh hardly will having not played a minute or been in the match day squad in months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

The forward line will be

Sheehan
    Gooch
    Buckley
    James O D
    Star
    Geaney

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »
    The forward line will be

Sheehan
    Gooch
    Buckley
    James O D
    Star
    Geaney

That seems likely to me as well.

Dunno about Sheeho on the wing there, wing backs nowadays love to run a lot and Bryanzie never struck me as a man to track back to his own 21. I know we need to accomodate for his free taking but not the wings for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I'd be surprised if we started with a half forward line containing both Sheehan & Gooch-not enough industry there to be honest.
    I would expect on of Lynn, O Brien, Geaney or Walsh to be in there ahead of Sheehan

Sheehan is being pretty massively underrated in the mobility/industry stakes IMO. He's been an excellent midfielder, has plenty in the tank to track back as a half forward.

Sheehan is being pretty massively underrated in the mobility/industry stakes IMO. He's been an excellent midfielder, has plenty in the tank to track back as a half forward.
    There's pros and cons - he's an additional option from kickouts - as with Buckley, means we should be picking up more posession from kickouts in theory, that said, If I'm an opposition manager I'm telling my half backs to get on the ball and run at those two players, they can get up and down the field it's just a case of whether they can do it quickly or if they drop deep and look to move from there. I wouldn't be worried about mobility so much as speed.

D'Agger wrote: »
    There's pros and cons - he's an additional option from kickouts - as with Buckley, means we should be picking up more posession from kickouts in theory, that said, If I'm an opposition manager I'm telling my half backs to get on the ball and run at those two players, they can get up and down the field it's just a case of whether they can do it quickly or if they drop deep and look to move from there. I wouldn't be worried about mobility so much as speed.

Run at them from where? A half back taking Sheehan or Buckley on anywhere is pretty much a win for the Kerry defence since it means they aren't moving the ball quickly into the forward line and we have plenty time to get our defense set up.

Like, what damage is a half back running from his own 45 against Sheehan going to do when we'll more than likely have at least one half back and one midfielder (far more likely two of each) sitting back on our own 45 whenever we don't have the ball.

Once the ball is turned over the half forwards will be tucking in to support the midfield and half back line or tracking their opposite number. If Jack McCaffrey thinks "head down and take him on" from his own half back line is the way to go I'm far from unhappy with that happening tbh.

Good idea by the lads at Gaelic Life to have a Club All Stars team

All-Ireland-Club-FOOTBALL-team-web.jpg

No Donaghy is lolworthy.

Run at them from where? A half back taking Sheehan or Buckley on anywhere is pretty much a win for the Kerry defence since it means they aren't moving the ball quickly into the forward line and we have plenty time to get our defense set up.

Did you see the game vs. Cork in the league, Sheehan was whipped after 20mins and Buckley, who redeemed himself somewhat 2nd half, probably should have shared his fate - Corks half backs caused serious trouble for us.

While I've no doubt Fitz wasn't showing his full tactical hand that day, our defence wasn't setup to deal with it. Ideally you'd have one if not both half forwards pulled back along with one midfielder so as to cut down space for quick balls in like you've said, but then yes, I'd have players run at them in order to try and create an overlap - go past a man, draw another, release the ball. Jamie O'Sullivan did this to great effect that day in Pairc Ui Rinn

Like, what damage is a half back running from his own 45 against Sheehan going to do when we'll more than likely have at least one half back and one midfielder (far more likely two of each) sitting back on our own 45 whenever we don't have the ball.

Again, it's not a case of one half back running straight into a wall of men, the half back is the ball carrier
    Once the ball is turned over the half forwards will be tucking in to support the midfield and half back line or tracking their opposite number. If Jack McCaffrey thinks "head down and take him on" from his own half back line is the way to go I'm far from unhappy with that happening tbh.

It's the pace at which they tuck in though isn't it - if you can break fast then you can create an overlap. I'm not saying, get Jack McCaffrey to run at them until he's out of space - I'm saying run at them & draw the man - that creates space for others, it's simply a case of if that happens - can Buckley & Sheehan funnel into the space created - which for me is their job if they're the wing forwards and again, they need to do it at pace. I did also say - if they're caught up the field i.e. not able to get back to those positions quickly enough.

They're mobile players so they're suited to getting back whilst also getting forward and kicking scores - which both can do very well, but they're players who struggle with speed - so that's where I'd attack them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Kelly
    Marc
    Aidan
    Shane
    Killian
    Crowley
    Murphy
    Maher
    Moran
    Darren
    Sheehan
    Donnacha
    JOD
    Donaghy
    Geaney

I would like to see

/ Kelly /

M. O. Shea
    Griffin
    A. O Mahony

K Young
    Crowley
    P. Murphy

T. Walsh
    Moran

D. Walsh
    Gooch
    Sheehan

J O Donoghue
    Star
    Geaney

Subs ; Buckley for T. Walsh, Darren for D Walsh, Galvin for Geaney if forward supply drying up and put extra man in the middle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement