Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I would like to see

/ Kelly /

M. O. Shea
    Griffin
    A. O Mahony

K Young
    Crowley
    P. Murphy

T. Walsh
    Moran

D. Walsh
    Gooch
    Sheehan

J O Donoghue
    Star
    Geaney

Subs ; Buckley for T. Walsh, Darren for D Walsh, Galvin for Geaney if forward supply drying up and put extra man in the middle.

Ahh there's no way Anthony Maher ain't starting championship. Tommy hasn't shown enough in the League to be starting and definitely not ahead of Maher and Buckley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kelly or Kiely though? I think they are very similar but would think Kelly will get the nod as he is seen as being a bit more dependable under a high ball ( though that is questionable) Mahony in the corner I couldnt see. Its full back or nothing for him id say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

What way is Paudi Mahoney now since Operation Transformation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I would like to see

/ Kelly /

M. O. Shea
    Griffin
    A. O Mahony

K Young
    Crowley
    P. Murphy

T. Walsh
    Moran

D. Walsh
    Gooch
    Sheehan

J O Donoghue
    Star
    Geaney

Subs ; Buckley for T. Walsh, Darren for D Walsh, Galvin for Geaney if forward supply drying up and put extra man in the middle.

Tommy hasnt been pulling up any trees for Kerry or Rahileys this year so far so to start him ahead of Maher would be a crazy call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was looking there that all the losers in the Senior Club go into a relegation championship,the two teams that make the final of the Club Championship are safe from this separate competition

Three groups of three with the bottom teams of each group going down to Intermediate,

Why didn't they just put all the teams into groups at the start of the Championship instead of making more games that will probably be played at the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Tommy hasnt been pulling up any trees for Kerry or Rahileys this year so far so to start him ahead of Maher would be a crazy call.

Anything that comes near him he catches. He is not as mobile as he was or as young. I would certainly start him. He needs to get game time. The early round of the Championship is the time to give him that.

Same with M Griffin at full back. O Mahoney is not a young man and he needs to be given time to make the jersey his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Would agree with some of the teams mentioned above, but one glaring problem is lads putting Sheehan at half forward, which could be a huge issue..certainly when you have Buckley and/or Donnacha Walsh in the same half forward line. Gooch will be on the 40 when fit, so as far as I'm concerned you need some dynamism in the half forwards then, which is best provided by Stephen O'Brien I think. Problem is, O'Brien hasn't had a great league.
    The other variable of course is Sheehan's freetaking which could be crucial. You may have no choice BUT to play him against a team who foul at long range. It's going to be a debate before each and every game. If you did give Sheehan a half forward berth, you would need to move things around and have a marker on any sort of attacking opposition half back. No way I'd leave Sheehan on a McCaffrey or Keegan. Depending on the game, Paul Geaney could withdraw slightly, with Buckley playing as a third midfielder and Sheehan and Gooch playing between midfield and half forward in tandem. Subtle difference to just playing a 3 man half forward line.

I know Donaghy finished the year spectacularly well last year but I'd be looking at Tommy Walsh at 14 for last 10-15 mins (maybe even starting at some point depending on stage of the year/opposition etc, with Donaghy as impact sub) and nowhere else at this point. He is well off where he needs to be to play around the middle in my view.

O'Donoghue/Geaney are nailed on barring disaster.

Maher/Moran should be nailed on. Maher can't afford to coast it as he did for a large part of last year. When it came to the crunch against Mayo in Limerick he performed very well though.

Backs are the most interesting part really. Crowley 6 is just non-negotiable to me. Killian Young is back to his best and will be 7. It's a big ask for Aidan O'Mahony to get back to 100% at this stage, although the man is a warrior so would never write him off.
    Some of the other defenders have had very patchy league campaigns. Fionn Fitz, Murphy, Kilkenny, Enright, Griffin. Of those, we know Fionn, Enright and Murphy CAN do the business in championship. Griffin and Kilkenny, have shown glimpses, but not quite there yet. Hard to go predicting a lineup until we see more.

Enright was the go-to man-marker last year and was doing very well until the Mayo replay. On top form, he is no.4 for me. Fionn Fitz in anywhere near his best form has to start somewhere. Murphy is a good footballer but has to be tighter defensively. Quite a few times he has taken the "attack is the best defence" philosophy a bit too far for my liking. Omagh was the latest example..yeah he kicked 2 nice points but Darren McCurry was given way too much latitude by him at the other end and scored 0-4 points and set up a lot of play as a result. Still, he was good last year and Fitzmaurice will recognise and hopefully rectify the issues in time.

Goalie has become a debate, which I thought was over, but I'm sticking with Kelly as Kealy is still too error prone and I thought apart from one mistake last year, Kelly did superbly. I'd blame the outfield players largely for the kickout debacle in the second half of the Mayo drawn game.

In summary, my probable 15, is along these lines.

Kelly

Fionn Fitz - O'Mahony/Marc - Enright

Murphy - Crowley - Young

Moran - Maher

O'Brien/Sheehan - Gooch - Buckley

Jameso - Donaghy - Geaney

Anything that comes near him he catches. He is not as mobile as he was or as young. I would certainly start him. He needs to get game time. The early round of the Championship is the time to give him that.

Same with M Griffin at full back. O Mahoney is not a young man and he needs to be given time to make the jersey his.

The "early" round of the championship is going to be away to Tipp..and the days of taking that lightly are long since passed, so no way I'd be treating it with the abandon of some years past.

Look, Tommy will improve we hope..but he is not a starter right now by any criteria. He needs intense work with the ball in training and it will come, but I think his best position remains the edge of the square and Donaghy is the man in situ right now, so Tommy will have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd have Tommy on the bench, working hard in training, increasing his confidence at club level and eventually that will funnel through.

If we're to get to the quarters or Semi finals then having Tommy peaking around then would be wondrous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Were you at the Legion game?

• Advertisement

Was looking there that all the losers in the Senior Club go into a relegation championship,the two teams that make the final of the Club Championship are safe from this separate competition

Three groups of three with the bottom teams of each group going down to Intermediate,

Why didn't they just put all the teams into groups at the start of the Championship instead of making more games that will probably be played at the end of the year.

How does the relegation from the intermediate and junior work?

wonga77 wrote: »
    How does the relegation from the intermediate and junior work?

• The winners of the 2015 Intermediate Championship will not be promoted to senior status. From 2016 onwards that situation will revert to the Intermediate winners replacing the relegated Senior team.

• With three teams being relegated from the Senior Championship, and the Junior champions of 2015 being promoted to Intermediate status, four teams are to be relegated from this year’s Intermediate Championship. The first round losers of this year’s Intermediate championship will play each other to achieve this.

• The top 32 teams from Junior and Novice will compete for the 2016 Premier Junior Championship. The first round losers enter the 2016 Junior Championship (currently Novice Championship

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/356014/s_f_c-decision_on_reduction_of_clubs_in_s_f_c-next_monday_co_ctte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I don't think you can have Sheehan and Buckley in the same half-forward line as they are too similar in too many respects.

Sheehan's general play in the league has been very very average whereas Buckley has performed well but Sheehan has the advantage on the deadball front. I really wouldnt be surprised to see the two of these alternating places in the championship.

I think our defence is a worry especially as regards the full-back line and the ages of Marc and Aidan. We have given decent amounts of game time to the defenders but the squad players haven't exactly pulled up trees as regards being automatic first 15 picks. Too many of our defenders fall into the category of being better half-back men as opposed to natural full-back line options for my comfort (although on the upside with the blanket defence we aren't likely to face too many orthodox 3 man full-forward lines)

As regards Tommy Walsh - the thing is that he's not a this year project in the way Kennelly was, we're looking at him as being back for the next five years.

Also there was more than a couple of occasions in the league game where the game plan seemed to be too much focused on kicking it in high to Donaghy. Obviously with Cooper and JOD out this was the easy option and I can't help but wonder what the plan B,C and D will be in terms of attack.

All this and no mention of Darren Sull, Donnacha or Paul Galvin.

Almost tempted to build a treehouse in Finans to scope out training I am - more than 7 weeks before championship throw-in

• The winners of the 2015 Intermediate Championship will not be promoted to senior status. From 2016 onwards that situation will revert to the Intermediate winners replacing the relegated Senior team.

• With three teams being relegated from the Senior Championship, and the Junior champions of 2015 being promoted to Intermediate status, four teams are to be relegated from this year’s Intermediate Championship. The first round losers of this year’s Intermediate championship will play each other to achieve this.

• The top 32 teams from Junior and Novice will compete for the 2016 Premier Junior Championship. The first round losers enter the 2016 Junior Championship (currently Novice Championship

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/356014/s_f_c-decision_on_reduction_of_clubs_in_s_f_c-next_monday_co_ctte

I dont really understand the whole thing, for example, Dromid who lost the junior final last year by a point to Brosna, lost the first round this year, are they demoted to novice now?

wonga77 wrote: »
    I dont really understand the whole thing, for example, Dromid who lost the junior final last year by a point to Brosna, lost the first round this year, are they demoted to novice now?

No I think there is no relegation this year in the Junior championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Good day for the county in Scór, Churchill quiz team and Glenflesk dancers winning titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Good win for the Crokes over Legion today.

Johnny Buckley had a really great game at midfield, Gooch was only ok though.

Results from the weekend

Senior Club

Dr Crokes 0-17 V 1-10 Legion

Ardfert 1-11 V 2-17 Austin Stacks

Intermediate Club

Currow 2-10 V 0-13 Skellig Rangers

John Mitchel's 1-9 V 0-11 An Ghaeltacht

Spa Killarney 2-17 V 3-14 Kenmare

St Mary's 2-13 V 1-9 Waterville

Junior Club

Glenbeigh-Glencar 1-11 V 1-8 Ballymacelligott

Listry 0-11 V 0-11 Firies

Templenoe 1-18 V 1-2 Na Gaeil

Novice Club

Ballydonoghue 3-14 V 0-9 Knocknagoshel

Lispole 1-24 V 0-6 Kilgarvan

Tuosist 2-7 V 0-15 Asdee

St Senan's 0-14 V 1-10 Renard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

7 point win for the hurlers in first round of Christy Ring .

Great start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Good news that Shane Ryan is in training with Kerry at the moment,Hopefully he gets a run of games in next years league with No.1 on his back.

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Good news that Shane Ryan is in training with Kerry at the moment,Hopefully he gets a run of games in next years league with No.1 on his back.

Not to sound like a pessimist or anything but I'd worry that it might be a bit too soon. I'm all for the "good enough=old enough" policy, but Ryan isn't long back from a long injury and it effected his performance for under 21s this year I think. He also plays out the field for his club I think? It's no big deal, if fit he'll play u21 next year and we'll see from there then I suppose. At his peak he is excellent.

7 point win for the hurlers in first round of Christy Ring .

Great start!

Yes got the win last Saturday without playing well,if there was any signs of complacency in the team then they should be gone after last Saturdays game

Next up is at home the Meath this Saturday with a 12.30 throw in time,

Dont know whats the story with the early throw in times

Yes got the win last Saturday without playing well,if there was any signs of complacency in the team then they should be gone after last Saturdays game

is it knock out from now on????

game is 2.30 no?

is it knock out from now on????

game is 2.30 no?

No 12.30,last week was 1pm,

The winners Saturday go to the semi finals the losers on Saturday go to the quarter finals and play the winners of the games in Round 2B

Round 2B

Down v Wicklow
    Mayo v Kildare/London (Losers)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

As far as I know Meath will travel on Friday so maybe the early throw in is to facilitate an early return home on Saturday? Anyway, hopefully Meath will put in another good performance, will be very tough to come away with a win though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Pat Spillane on late late now

What was that clip on about???

Hurlers win 1-23 to 2-18....

Making very hard work of this!!

Hurlers are just about doing enough, last year they were crusing to wins early in the Christy Ring and then it all fell apart in the final against Kildare

Im hoping they are priming themselves to be peaking on Christy Ring Final day this year,lets hope they get there.

• Advertisement

Any idea who we play in the semi?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement