Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mvision HD200 Combo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 derrycragg

Can someone help me. I have installed a Dragon cam, on the Mvision combo which has Prod 3.69, on it. When I plug in my Sky Freeview card, it says " Smartcard is NDS",
    The Menu comes up as:
    Smartcard
    Debug
    Settings.
    What do I do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

derrycragg wrote: »
    What do I do next?

Nothing, that's all you need to do, just remember the card will need to be 'active' i.e. inserted overnight in a sky box on channel 998 to make sure it gets the signal to allow you to watch the FTV channels.

Thanks gtg60, for your response.
    However I reprogrammed my card again, and its still the same,,showing smardcard is NDS,. Any further advice?.

Have you tried looking at any of the Free To View channels? Fiver? Five US? Or Sky 3?
    What happens?

And can you get those channels with the card on a normal sky box?

Yes Channel 5 and SKY 3 are coming in fine on Sky Box.

• Advertisement

Yes Channel 5 and SKY 3 are coming in fine on Sky Box.
    So, what happens when you try to view them on the Mvision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

gtg60 wrote: »
    So, what happens when you try to view them on the Mvision?

Does the Dragon Cam/Sky card work with mvision receiver. Thought i read somewhere that mvision was not compatable.

I do not own Mvision so do not know for sure. Maybe SLEGS might know more.

givecredit wrote: »
    Does the Dragon Cam/Sky card work with mvision receiver. Thought i read somewhere that mvision was not compatable.

It works alright, although there are some issues with some of the HD channels on some receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

It works alright, although there are some issues with some of the HD channels on some receivers.

Thanks for that. I suppose CH4HD is one of the HD channels giving trouble?

givecredit wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I suppose CH4HD is one of the HD channels giving trouble?

Yes, it was for me but that issue is resolved, works for some and not for others...

• Advertisement

Brand new firmware just out, Version 3.32:
    http://mvision.tv/descarga/serieHD/HD200C_0332.zip

New for 3.32
    Greek OSD revised
    Timer recording revised

Just discovered I was putting the card in upside down, in the Cam.
    Everything working fine now.
    Just loaded the new software, and it solved a problem I had with , setting the PVR to record Daily. It would only record once, and then stop.
    The new software has it working perfectly.
    Many thanks for your help.

Just discovered I was putting the card in upside down, in the Cam.

You couldn't have been doing that all the time though otherwise you wouldn't have gotten the 'Smartcard is NDS' as above. Otherwise I would have suggested it to you???

Can you do an experiment for me please? I last activated my card in a Sky box a week ago and wrote the date on the card and will keep using it in the Mvision until it needs to be reactivated again and hence work out how often I will need to reactivate it and be proactive, rumour is that it is about 4~6 weeks, it'd be great if you could do the same just to see if the both last the same.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Just used the new software myself and the timer recording is now much more robust which is good news as the previosu versions were buggy.

You couldn't have been doing that all the time though otherwise you wouldn't have gotten the 'Smartcard is NDS' as above. Otherwise I would have suggested it to you???

Can you do an experiment for me please? I last activated my card in a Sky box a week ago and wrote the date on the card and will keep using it in the Mvision until it needs to be reactivated again and hence work out how often I will need to reactivate it and be proactive, rumour is that it is about 4~6 weeks, it'd be great if you could do the same just to see if the both last the same.

Thanks!
    No problem, will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Just curious - is there any third party open source firmware being written for this device?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

slegs wrote: »
    Just used the new software myself and the timer recording is now much more robust which is good news as the previosu versions were buggy.
    Must try the new version. Have you noticed that the clock doesn't update on the screen when in Radio mode (either DVB-T or DVB-S)? It does if you are in EPG mode. I've written to info@mvision.tv but I'm not sure if the comment will get back to the developers.

Have spent the past two weeks speccing and building a(n) HTPC, getting familiar with DVBViewer Pro - 7 day Freesat EPG + Irish DTT EPG in one.

Interesting thing about the Irish EPG stream - the Original Network ID in the EIT doesn't match the Original Network ID in the SDT (at least from the Greystones Relay anyway - haven't checked Three Rock) so DVBViewer couldn't find it automatically. I had to change it in the setup to force the EIT network ID. Maybe this is the cause of the problems some people are having with not seeing EPGs? It's not a problem for the Mvision, though. Probably will need to start a thread in the HTPC forum about this;)

jArgHA wrote: »
    Just curious - is there any third party open source firmware being written for this device?

There is unofficial firmware out there but I don't believe it's open source.

Well I have been enjoying my MVision HD200 Combo for the past few days now (thanks slegs). For now I am just using the terrestrial channels I'll probably leave the satellite channels for a month or two when I get the chance to do a dish install.

One or two questions / observations:

* I have noticed a pop-up area appearing regularly (maybe every few 10 minutes roughly) which says "Cam Initialising". I am not using CAM. Is this an MVision bug?

* Whilst watching RTE1, the picture sometimes does a tiny 'jump' (looks like picture moves up by a few pixels and then jumps back down to original position) in a fraction of a second. This can get extremely annoying, it was happening maybe every 10 seconds last night while watching the news. Has anyone else noticed this? The issue did not appear to happen on RTE2, which in my mind rules out the box and indicates that the issue could be with the transmission?

* Why do TV3 & TG4 sometimes become unavailable and replaced with "DTT Test Signal" multi-coloured page?

* While recording and watching a programme live, the video tends to freeze up for a second or so sporadically. Again I assume this is a MVision bug (NB when the recording is played back there is no 'freeze' at the same point at which it previously occurred)?

* When I bring up the EPG, there is usually lots of data missing (for the terrestrial channels). Eg. 2 hours missing for RTE2 from say 8-10pm. Why is this?

* I work on STB applications so may be more susceptible to spotting these bugs...

I should add that the picture quality is absolutely fantastic from DTT, at times I forget I am watching an SD transmission. The upscaler on the projector is also pretty good which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

* Whilst watching RTE1, the picture sometimes does a tiny 'jump' (looks like picture moves up by a few pixels and then jumps back down to original position) in a fraction of a second. This can get extremely annoying, it was happening maybe every 10 seconds last night while watching the news. Has anyone else noticed this? The issue did not appear to happen on RTE2, which in my mind rules out the box and indicates that the issue could be with the transmission?
    Check your TV. You could have the orbiter switched on; this moves the image by a few pixels periodically to prevent screen burn.
    * Why do TV3 & TG4 sometimes become unavailable and replaced with "DTT Test Signal" multi-coloured page?
    The DTT signal is a test, not a service so you should expect disruptions.

• Advertisement

* I have noticed a pop-up area appearing regularly (maybe every few 10 minutes roughly) which says "Cam Initialising". I am not using CAM. Is this an MVision bug?
    Well, that's not right, I do have a CAM and that only happens once when the unit is switched on (from off not standby), I suggest you back up your channels (or don't even bother if you only have the DTT ones), do a factory reset and probably reinstall the Firmware, we're on 3.32 at the moment, if that doesn't work it may be worthwhile going back to 3.25 to see if it makes a difference.
    You know, I occasionaly get that on some SAT channels but have only noticed it on my downstairs TV (Plasma), the upstairs TV has never exhibited it, I was assuming I just needed to change something in the settings, I think someone else may have said turning on overscan sorted it but I haven't looked into it (yet).
    DTT is not official yet, it is only in it's test phase, these testcards are put out by RTENL, there's usually a thread posted as soon as this happens
    * While recording and watching a programme live, the video tends to freeze up for a second or so sporadically. Again I assume this is a MVision bug (NB when the recording is played back there is no 'freeze' at the same point at which it previously occurred)?
    I had this problem when I used an older (probably USB 1.1) HDD, when I switched to a more modern USB 2.0 I haven't seen it reoccur
    * When I bring up the EPG, there is usually lots of data missing (for the terrestrial channels). Eg. 2 hours missing for RTE2 from say 8-10pm. Why is this?
    Again, this may just need your firmware reinstalled as I don't have this problem, again it takes a few minutes to fill up if I've only switched it on though.
    I should add that the picture quality is absolutely fantastic from DTT, at times I forget I am watching an SD transmission. The upscaler on the projector is also pretty good which helps.
    Agreed, the picture is even better than what I get through Sky (which is through HDMI).

As a side note, get yourself a dish ASAP to really benefit from a Combo receiver :D

Hi Jargha

I can take a couple of these

Well I have been enjoying my MVision HD200 Combo for the past few days now (thanks slegs).

No problem. Thank you :)
    For now I am just using the terrestrial channels I'll probably leave the satellite channels for a month or two when I get the chance to do a dish install.

One or two questions / observations:

I've never seen this one. Is there anything in the CAM slot at all? this is unusual. May be worth doing a full reset and reinstall the sw and channels to see if this goes away.

This does sound very much like a TV setting. Not noticed this on any of the boxes I've tested.

As Kuroman said

Are you using a high speed USB drive? Sometimes you would get this right at the beginning of the recording but after a few seconds of recording it is normally very smooth. USB solid state memory sticks are generally too slow for recording (particularly HD) and I have seen what you describe when using a USB stick. Also the box can run quite hot. You need to keep it in a ventilated area much like a Sky+ box.

This is related to the current issues with RTE's broadcast of the EPG stream as reported in other threads. On some boxes you bet nothing at all at the moment! This will be fixed I am sure in the coming weeks.

* I work on STB applications so may be more susceptible to spotting these bugs...

I agree. The quality of the RTE DTT picture on an LCD TV is top class. You really notice it when watching sports or movies. Even my wife can see it and she is normally immune to that kind of stuff!

Thanks for all the replies, some useful information given there. I will probably try doing a factory reset and reinstall software version 3.32 to see if I still get the "CAM Initialising" popup appearing sporadically (there is nothing in the CAM slot).
    slegs wrote:
    Are you using a high speed USB drive? Sometimes you would get this right at the beginning of the recording but after a few seconds of recording it is normally very smooth. USB solid state memory sticks are generally too slow for recording (particularly HD) and I have seen what you describe when using a USB stick. Also the box can run quite hot. You need to keep it in a ventilated area much like a Sky+ box.

I was using a 16GB USB flash drive (USB 2.0). The pauses occur minutes into the recording and not just at the start. I also have a 320GB Western Digital external drive which I will try out to see if it exhibits the same issue.

Thanks again for all the tips, I'm looking forward to getting a dish in future and watching some sports on ITV HD / BBC HD :) Ireland v Bulgaria on DTT this weekend will be my first big screen sports test

It's worth noting that the EPG problems seem to only surface if you get your DTT from any transmitter bar Three Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MPEG4

Using an M200 with Mullaghanish and receiving the EPG on the DTT channels...and what a picture; haven't even tried HD yet as I need a new TV first, but the SD picture on DTT and Satellite are the best I have ever seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I thought those epg problems were unique to my mvision but at least i now know theyre not. It is extremely annoying though. There always seems to be massive gaps in the epg for my terrestrial channels(From Spur Hill)

As for that picture judder, i get that occasionally too. I turn the box off and on and that seems to fix the problem

Cant fault the PQ at all either. Its excellent for all but the worst of the fta channels. The box is clearly quite a good upscaler

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I thought those epg problems were unique to my mvision but at least i now know theyre not. It is extremely annoying though. There always seems to be massive gaps in the epg for my terrestrial channels(From Spur Hill)
    I connected up my Mvision combo today (have been playing with a PC solution for the past couple of weeks) and I noticed that there were gaps in the EPG as you and others described. The "now and next" programmes were there, but there were some gaps further on in the schedule.

I had a look with the PC setup, which has an analyser "Transedit", which comes with the Pro version of DVBviewer. All the EPG data was there, including the bits not displayed on the Mvision, with the final entries at midnight on the 31st March. I noticed that over the next 30 mins or so, the gaps in the EPG were filled in on the Mvision. I can only assume that whatever way the software on the Mvision looks at the data stream, it must populate the EPG display at intervals. The EPG data is transmitted all the time, so it's just a firmware thing I assume:confused: I noticed that if you switch the box to standby it seems to buffer the EPG data in memory, so that it is available next time you switch on. If you power off at the back then it loses the EPG and has to re-populate over time. It's a pity that the box seems to use almost as much power in standby (18W measured by gtg60) as it does when it's fully on. Not very "green".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 patt

I have a pop-up Window appearing on my Mvision HD200 Combo which says "Cam Initialising". This Window can be removed only by switching off the STB. I don't have a CAM. When this happens during a recording, the recording is useless since all I can see is "Cam Initialising"
    Also, at other times, part of the menu stays on the screen, and the machine will not respond to the R/C.
    The STB and HDD (both from Saor TV) are only 1 week old.
    So if you're reading this Slegs, I'm hoping for an answer,
    or has any body else any (helpful) suggestions.

Hi Patt

I suggest you do a full reset (pin is 0000) and reinstall the software as per instructions from the saortv forum (saortv.com/forum).

I have never seen this issue. How often does it happen?

Let me know how you get on.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

Funny, but I noticed the "CAM Initialising" message popping up at intervals yesterday when I was testing the EPG. The message stayed on screen for a couple of seconds then disappeared. I'm on 3.25 firmware. I had never seen this before on previous versions. If you go into the CAM menu it says "CAM Initialising" but I have no CAM inserted. Once you exit the menu, the message goes away but pops up now and again over the viewed image. I haven't used the recording facilities with this version, but will test it later today.

I also noticed the box being very sluggish to power on from standby at intervals. I'm putting the "sluggishness" down to HDMI handshaking as I'm running the box through an Onkyo AV amp via HDMI and then on to my Panasonic plasma. Normally I use the Mvision on a CRT via SCART in another part of the house.

Advertisement