Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mvision HD200 Combo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

gtg60 wrote: »
    That's a redundant question, how else could you modulate an RF signal without a modulator?

I knew that was coming...

Basically I have the Mvision connected by hdmi to the main tv - no problems. My sky is distributed upstairs (behind walls and to a face plate through coaxial) I wanted to add the Mvision onto that coaxial so that no installer is required to add cabling behind the walls. I tried a modulator and the picture while viewable it wasnt great (tried different channel positions etc) and not as good as the RF picture from the sky box.

I was hoping that if I worked around the connections (Mvision scart into sky + box then the RF output would include sky & Mvision) or the use of an adapter, etc.

As you will have guessed by now I am relatively new to this so go easy.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Bluefish wrote: »
    I knew that was coming...
    Well, you originally answered your own question :D
    I tried a modulator and the picture while viewable it wasnt great (tried different channel positions etc) and not as good as the RF picture from the sky box.

I was hoping that if I worked around the connections (Mvision scart into sky + box then the RF output would include sky & Mvision) or the use of an adapter, etc.

I would suggest retrying with the modulator, what way had you connected it up? Was the output of the modulator fed into the Sky box then fed around the house? If so, try it the other way around, it may just be that one is interfering with the other.

Unfortunately there is no way of using the Sky boxes modulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

Cheers for the response GTG60, I had the scart output on the Mvision going into the modulator and the coaxial out of the modulator added to the chain around the house.

Guess I will need to get the installer out to put down another hdmi cable.....

Guess I will need to get the installer out to put down another hdmi cable.....

If you only have 2 main TV's and a few HDMI sources then it is well worth investing in a 4x2 Matrix switcher, not only are you piping HD picture quality but also multi-channel sound. Very reasonable nowadays, the one I have cost approx 150 Euro more than a year ago, should be even cheaper now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Just coming back to this thread after a couple more weeks of using my MVision HD200 Combo. I'm kind of glad to see now that I'm not the only one getting the "CAM Initialising" issue, so this is undoubtedly a bug in the current firmware.

Whilst I am happy enough using the MVision, I cannot believe how many bugs are cropping up with the software. Do they have any QA department? I guess in this world of getting the product out to market to compete with the others even before it is of high quality it is to be expected, but it just seems a bit on the shoddy side to me.
    slegs wrote:
    Was in contact with MVision main distributor today and I can confirm they are looking at developing a version of firmware that will read the freesat EPG. If anyone has any bugs they wish to report to MVision then please feel free to send to me. I am building a list that I will track. I can post my eMail address if the mods are OK with it.

I have spotted the following bugs thus far (firmware v 3.32):

* Cam Initialising issue as dicussed in this thread
    * Time in standby slowing down by half as discussed in this thread (note I am also running the HDMI out from my MVision through an Onkyo AV receiver)
    * Recording crashing (freezes) due to CAM Initialising message
    * The mute/unmute functionality slow to respond - takes a couple of seconds to take effect
    * EPG data incomplete (using DTT) - unsure whether this is firmware or transmission issue, but someone else mentioned here that the EPG data was complete when using PC based software
    * Trickplaying (fast forwarding / rewinding) recorded video (SD content) performance is poor / unusable. Is there some way to jump to a point in a recording?
    * I'll add more bugs as I come across them, I'm sure there were a few more which I can't think of right now..

Feature request:
    Any chance they could implement the record functionality for the Radio? I often want to record some radio shows but havn't got a good way of doing this yet (where you can set it up in advance).

Someone else mentioned the power usage when the unit is in standby - it is common practice with STB applications for 'standby' to be nothing more than muting the audio / video output and updating LEDs, and I suspect this to be the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

jArgHA why dont you bring the box back to where you bought it.The shop is responsible to put any problems right,and if they cant get things right after two attempts you are entitled to a new stb or your money back(which ever YOU want your choice not theirs).The box sounds like a dud.I have an Mvision myself with no trouble at all,but iam using firmware v 3:15. btw my Mvision is for sale for a reasonable offer as i now want to buy a DM8000

20/20 wrote: »
    The box sounds like a dud.

The box is not a dud, the 3.32 Firmware is buggy, I suggest you (jArgHA) reverts back to 3.25, this performs great for me.

It is always advisable to let other people go first with new firmware to be on the safe side, as one of my paragliding buddies always says "Looks good, you GO first!"

gtg60 How do you know if the box is a dud or not? He seems to be having a lot of trouble with this receiver,and he seems to be alone with most of these problems so i suggest its probably the box.Everything electrical made will have a percentage of duds,and i fail to see why he should even attempt to correct the problems,its the duty of the shop and he should make them put it right,he has consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

jArgHA wrote: »
    Just coming back to this thread after a couple more weeks of using my MVision HD200 Combo. I'm kind of glad to see now that I'm not the only one getting the "CAM Initialising" issue, so this is undoubtedly a bug in the current firmware.

Whilst I am happy enough using the MVision, I cannot believe how many bugs are cropping up with the software. Do they have any QA department? I guess in this world of getting the product out to market to compete with the others even before it is of high quality it is to be expected, but it just seems a bit on the shoddy side to me.

I have spotted the following bugs thus far (firmware v 3.32):

* Cam Initialising issue as dicussed in this thread
    * Time in standby slowing down by half as discussed in this thread (note I am also running the HDMI out from my MVision through an Onkyo AV receiver)
    * Recording crashing (freezes) due to CAM Initialising message
    * The mute/unmute functionality slow to respond - takes a couple of seconds to take effect
    * EPG data incomplete (using DTT) - unsure whether this is firmware or transmission issue, but someone else mentioned here that the EPG data was complete when using PC based software
    * Trickplaying (fast forwarding / rewinding) recorded video (SD content) performance is poor / unusable. Is there some way to jump to a point in a recording?
    * I'll add more bugs as I come across them, I'm sure there were a few more which I can't think of right now..

Feature request:
    Any chance they could implement the record functionality for the Radio? I often want to record some radio shows but havn't got a good way of doing this yet (where you can set it up in advance).

Someone else mentioned the power usage when the unit is in standby - it is common practice with STB applications for 'standby' to be nothing more than muting the audio / video output and updating LEDs, and I suspect this to be the case here.

Hi Jargha,

Could you try reverting to v3.25 to see if it helps. Also I will post v3.15 and v3.18 later this evening on my site if you wish to try those out. I have been in contact with MVision regarding the CAM Initialising bug and other reported bugs and I await a response. I have been told they are actively working on a new version of firmware with bug fixes and improvements including a freesat EPG compatible firmware. I will keep everyone here updated. If you are still not satisfied please get in touch directly and I will resolve with you offline.

Note, the EPG blanks are related to our DTT EPG feed not anything in the box. In fact the MVision seems to be more forgiving of the the current EPG feed than most receivers.

regards
    Paul
    20/20 wrote:
    gtg60 How do you know if the box is a dud or not? He seems to be having a lot of trouble with this receiver,and he seems to be alone with most of these problems so i suggest its probably the box.Everything electrical made will have a percentage of duds,and i fail to see why he should even attempt to correct the problems,its the duty of the shop and he should make them put it right,he has consumer rights.

I am the owner of the shop that sold the MVision to him. I deal with all customer satisfaction issues swiftly and thoroughly.

20/20 wrote: »

@20/20
    No the box is not a dud - all the things I listed above a software bugs, and anyone else using the same version of the firmware will notice them also (see similar posts by others in this thread). I can live with the bugs fine and I have no intention of returning the box (the pros far outweigh the cons), its just my first impressions of the software were not the best.

@slegs
    Thanks for advice I will try reverting to 3.25 tonight if I get a chance before Champions League kickoff :)

jAH

• Advertisement

jArgHA iam glad to see you are still very happy with the box,even with some problems which probably are s/w issues.I was only reminding you that as a consumer you do have rights and dont have to accept poor quality goods,and if there are issues with anything in the box you can return it. btw anybody wishes to purchase an Mvision stb check out my adverts its only 150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 patt

I think I've gotten rid of "Cam Initializing" by replacing the HDMI lead.
    I haven't seen "Cam Initializing" for a week after replacing the lead, so to check, I put back the original HDMI lead, and after a few hours I had "Cam Initializing" back again.

I've seen on another forum that the lead should be less than a metre long, though the lead I'm using is about a metre in length.
    Using phono plugs and leads also gets rid of "Cam Initializing". A Scart lead may also work but I haven't tried it.
    Now, if I could get box to stop telling me the disk is full, when I try to record that would be great.
    I've used the following versions of the firm ware:

That is interesting about the HDMI cable and I too had heard about it before, personally I never had issues with it and use a cable longer than 1 Metre.

I have only ever experienced the 'Hard disk is full' error once and that was within 20 mins of switching to 3.32, I find that 3.25 is the stablest for me.

I actually do use a CAM and this may be why my results vary with other peoples...

Either way, looking forward to the next firmware release, any bets it'll be 3.39 :P

That is interesting about the HDMI cable and I too had heard about it before, personally I never had issues with it and use a cable longer than 1 Metre.

I have only ever experienced the 'Hard disk is full' error once and that was within 20 mins of switching to 3.32, I find that 3.25 is the stablest for me.

I actually do use a CAM and this may be why my results vary with other peoples...

Either way, looking forward to the next firmware release, any bets it'll be 3.39 :P

Yes,I had seen reports that it was due to length of HDMI cable but was waaiting for confirmation

Hmmm my HDMI cable between MVision and Onkyo receiver is 5m which fits in with this explanation. Still a bug which needs to be resolved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 derrycragg

Just wondering gtg 60 is your sky card still working without initializing it again, or how long it lasted. I only had a loan of the first card, and have only inserted a freeview sky card recently,

You couldn't have been doing that all the time though otherwise you wouldn't have gotten the 'Smartcard is NDS' as above. Otherwise I would have suggested it to you???

Can you do an experiment for me please? I last activated my card in a Sky box a week ago and wrote the date on the card and will keep using it in the Mvision until it needs to be reactivated again and hence work out how often I will need to reactivate it and be proactive, rumour is that it is about 4~6 weeks, it'd be great if you could do the same just to see if the both last the same.

Thanks!

derrycragg wrote: »
    Just wondering gtg 60 is your sky card still working without initializing it again, or how long it lasted.

One stopped working after 5 weeks, another I have now is still working at 6 weeks, I think the variation comes from how the encryption system is constantly changing and if the card is updated just after a change it should last longer.

I think a good idea would be to take it out and leave it in a Sky box overnight on the first of every month and then you'll never be left without it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Hi,

I got a mvision hd200 combo and testing it in Dublin on three rock and kippure. I have noticed some shutter sometimes on the picture. My signal and quality are around 90% solid.

Does anyone have same problem? Is this just due to tests or problem with box?

Thanks

s_gr wrote: »
    I have noticed some shutter sometimes on the picture.

Describe your problem in more detail please.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Hi,

Its as if the picture is time lagged or paused for very short periods. Jerky picture almost. Very strange as i havent seen it before

Before some blames the tv its fine on sky and analog terrestrial so seems to be with the dtt feed from the box, havent really noticed it on fta satellite

• Advertisement

s_gr wrote: »
    Its as if the picture is time lagged or paused for very short periods. Jerky picture almost. Very strange as i havent seen it before

That does sound strange, what firmware are you using?

And does switching the unit off and on again sort out the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

It's doing it on the BT Vision box too - sometimes the picture just freezes and you have to go off channel and on again. It's not the signal strength, still sitting at 100% quality, possibly they are trying different codecs, last time I checked the bit rate, RTE 2 was dropping down as low as 1.5 but the picture quality was the same. Will have a close look at the TS over the weekend and compare it to a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

SRB wrote: »
    It's doing it on the BT Vision box too - sometimes the picture just freezes and you have to go off channel and on again. It's not the signal strength, still sitting at 100% quality, possibly they are trying different codecs, last time I checked the bit rate, RTE 2 was dropping down as low as 1.5 but the picture quality was the same. Will have a close look at the TS over the weekend and compare it to a few weeks back.

The power definitely dropped at 3 rock last week. My booster was working overtime and pulling in all knds of IF. Back to normal now....

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Sorry, should have said using Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

I've been having similar issues with the Technomate 6900 Combo from Three Rock/Kippure with 95% quality shown. Jerky frozen pictures for a split second or so, then back to normal. Might only happen 3 or 4 times a night. Hopefully this is just part of the testing.

Sounds like overloading...is there an amplifier in your setup. If so take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Hey folks

Hope someone can help - have loaded in the latest firmware, done a factory reset and scanned for channels with my (legit) sky card in the box.

The card is being correctly identified as NDS and the serial number is being displayed but all the channels are still scrambled.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? It's a blue card btw, I haven't initialised the replacement white one yet as I wanted to see if it would work in the MVision first.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Lpfsox wrote: »
    Hope someone can help - have loaded in the latest firmware

Which firmware? From where?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

sorry, should have said. It's the unofficial F3.32 from GMax, linked by your good self on the SaorTV forums :)

• Advertisement

Did you try putting the card in both ways, i.e. chip up and chip down? I forget which is right at the moment but easy to try both...

Advertisement