Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mvision HD200 Combo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

fat-tony wrote: »
    I don't use a CAM, but I would recommend that you update the receiver firmware to at least the 3.11 spec (on the shop site) or 3.18 available if you google. This may resolve your issues.

Thanks fat-tony but I'm already using 3.18, CAM 'n' card work perfectly in the Global Teq so I know there's no problem there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I've had a few issues with the motorised operation on the Mvision. Just replaced my old Moteck motor with a STAB HH120, so I'm setting up channels on the Mvision. I have found that if I drive the motor East and West repeatedly when checking for best signal quality, the box locks up on occasion. The user interface was so much better on the Globalteq - but that didn't have the PVR functions!
    Keep us informed about the CAM and FTV card performance on the Mvision. I might invest in a CAM if I thought I could use my SKY subscription card occasionally in the Mvision.

Keep us informed about the CAM and FTV card performance on the Mvision. I might invest in a CAM if I thought I could use my SKY subscription card occasionally in the Mvision.

Will do, one of the great things about the Dragon (or now T-Rex) CAM is not only can you use a FTV card in it for extra channels (Sky 3, Fiver, Five US, some +1's and Channel 4 HD) is that you can use your official Sky card in it and record programs you wish to archive, I'm currently trialing a (so far) superb piece of editing software called VideoRedo, which works directly on the digitally stored .ts file, which means that I should be able to get a superior copy than recording from the Scart on my Sky box. Doing a lot of testing and experimenting since I got the Mvision, will post details once I actually have some 'real' conclusions.

The GlobalTeq and Mvision both have some features that the other does not, as with most AV equipment nowadays you have to compromise and if I can get this CAM issue sorted then the Mvision will be the superior for my needs...

gtg60 wrote: »
    I'm currently trialing a (so far) superb piece of editing software called VideoRedo

Looks like I spoke too soon, VideoRedo doesn't support H264 so useless for the DTT and HD sat channels.

It's friday the what :eek:

Oh I see :mad:

It's a bit of an issue trying to handle H.264 on a PC when you're editing video. It's a bigger problem trying to decompress H.264 and view the rendered output if it's HD:eek: Unless you've got a dual or quad core 3 GHz processor, that is.

I've almost given up on faffing about with digital output from DVB boxes and trying to create DVD compliant output. It's just so much easier to connect the box to my Sony DVR via RGB SCART and trim out the unwanted ads and burn a HQ DVD. Despite the intermediate conversion to analogue, the output video quality is excellent - probably due to the excellent MPEG-2 encoder in the Sony. The only downside is the loss of Dolby Digital 5.1 on some material.
    When you factor in the PC time spent editing and the time spent transcoding to DVD compliant bitrates, it's almost quicker to use the old dubbing to DVR method via SCART....

• Advertisement

Yeah, I hear you and normally that's what I do, just copy it to my HDD DVR, edit and burn.
    BUT I have to say that with a portable HDD, a powerful PC and VideoRedo I can actually get a better copy (with DD and frame by frame cutting) in a quicker time.
    If only it could do H264 :rolleyes: Not bothered about HD material (as I won't be buying a blu burner until the media is reasonable) but all the DTT stuff is also off limits.

I was looking at the Mvision site yesterday and they have a model (think it's a ST-5) which has an Ethernet connection and you can stream movies from your PC to it, how cool would it be if the next model of HD200 combo had this? I'd love to be able to use one of my PC's HDD to store movies on from the Mvision, last thing I need in the sitting room is another box (according to the wife :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv actually bought one of these boxes

looking forward to it

how do i get a ftv card to work with it?

Headshot wrote: »
    how do i get a ftv card to work with it?

You'll need a Dragon (now called T-Rex) CAM, they cost about £80 new or commonly go for ~£30 on eBay, you just insert that into the CI slot and then put the FTV card into it.
    N.B! The FTV card will still need to be inserted into a Sky box overnight about every 4~6 weeks so it can keep getting the 'stay alive' signal.

Also be aware that I am having issues with Channel 4HD at the moment, I've no idea why but I know my CAM/ card are fine as they work perfectly in my GlobalTeq.

You'll need a Dragon (now called T-Rex) CAM, they cost about £80 new or commonly go for ~£30 on eBay, you just insert that into the CI slot and then put the FTV card into it.
    N.B! The FTV card will still need to be inserted into a Sky box overnight about every 4~6 weeks so it can keep getting the 'stay alive' signal.

Also be aware that I am having issues with Channel 4HD at the moment, I've no idea why but I know my CAM/ card are fine as they work perfectly in my GlobalTeq.

thanks mate

that is a bit strange about Ch 4HD
    maybe it could be the box?

btw is it just ch 4HD or are any other channels like that via ftv card

that is a bit strange about Ch 4HD
    maybe it could be the box?

btw is it just ch 4HD or are any other channels like that via ftv card

JUST Channel 4HD :confused:
    Sky 3, Fiver, Five US etc are all fine, it's weird, the only thing I can think of is that Channel 4HD is the only HD FTV channel I have and that might be causing problems (why though?) but same set-up in my GlobalTeq is fine on all FTV channels.

• Advertisement

JUST Channel 4HD :confused:
    Sky 3, Fiver, Five US etc are all fine, it's weird, the only thing I can think of is that Channel 4HD is the only HD FTV channel I have and that might be causing problems (why though?) but same set-up in my GlobalTeq is fine on all FTV channels.

thanks mate for the advice

Channel 4HD known issue with Mvision HD200
    http://www.satpimps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98628

Found this whilst Googling, that's not very encouraging really.

As per the above thread it would appear that this issue 'may be' heat related as I got a few whole minutes of trouble free watching when I switched the receiver on from cold. Only tried it once but sounding plausable.

Worst thing is that would imply it is a hardware issue and that there may be other transponders that this also happens with...

Emailed manufacturer directly to see if I can get an answer to this issue.

Will report back IF and WHEN I get a response.

Emailed manufacturer directly to see if I can get an answer to this issue.

Will report back IF and WHEN I get a response.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

As per the above thread it would appear that this issue 'may be' heat related as I got a few whole minutes of trouble free watching when I switched the receiver on from cold. Only tried it once but sounding plausable.

Worst thing is that would imply it is a hardware issue and that there may be other transponders that this also happens with...

CAMs can draw a fair bit of power and also generate a lot of heat. Do you see the same problem with BBCHD or LuxeHD with the CAM inserted?

Apogee wrote: »
    CAMs can draw a fair bit of power and also generate a lot of heat. Do you see the same problem with BBCHD or LuxeHD with the CAM inserted?

As previously stated, ONLY Channel 4 HD, no other HD channels, no other channel that I have to use the CAM for, I have found a good few instances of this receiver having this problem with Channel 4 HD on the 'net.

Still no reply from Mvision...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Turbosat have a used one (ex display?) on ebay for £125 + delivery, if anyone is interested.

kuro_man wrote: »
    Turbosat have a used one (ex display?) on ebay for £125 + delivery, if anyone is interested.

They actually have 3, they are returns from customers and carry a 12 month warranty instead of 24 months BUT they want £39 to post one to Ireland :eek::mad:

So, you'd be looking at about 190~195 Euro, not really a bargain...

gtg60 any reply from mvision ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

As previously stated, ONLY Channel 4 HD, no other HD channels, no other channel that I have to use the CAM for, I have found a good few instances of this receiver having this problem with Channel 4 HD on the 'net.

So no problems with either of those channels with the CAM inserted? The reason I ask this specific question is to tie down whether the problem is purely heat/hardware related, or firmware related.

Decoding a high bitrate, mpeg4 HD channel might be expect to result in the receiver getting hotter. If the CAM was also inserted, then the additional heat generated might be enough to tip the receiver stability over the edge. Watching either BBCHD or Luxe HD in conjunction with the CAM would be a good test. A fan would really be the only solution to this.

However, if there are no such issues, then it looks more like a firmware problem between the receiver and the CAM. An upgrade to the firmware, or reprogramming the CAM with an older version of the Dragon firmware would be worth checking.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think if I could test it on another HD channel that needs de-crypting then it'd confirm a few things.

Not going to bother with changing firmware in the Dragon or anything (as it works perfectly in the GlobalTeq) until I've tried another HD channel.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think if I could test it on another HD channel that needs de-crypting then it'd confirm a few things.

Not going to bother with changing firmware in the Dragon or anything (as it works perfectly in the GlobalTeq) until I've tried another HD channel.
    Did a bit of digging around - CH4 HD is on a DVB-S2 transponder, so maybe the issue is with this? Other HD channels (BBC/ITV) are on regular DVB-S transponders with H.264 compression. Can't really help beyond this as I don't have a CAM.

More digging around. Tuned in 12344H and 12363V on Astra 2 - both are DVB-S2 transponders with the same symbol rate (29500) and FEC (3/4) as 12324V. The signal strength and quality are rock solid. I can only assume there is some other issue with 12324V - this is on the North beam but it should make no difference on my 1.1m dish.

I motored over to the DVB-S2 channels on 29000 k/symbols and 30000 k/symbols on Hispasat (30W) and the signals were rock solid. So it's not symbol-rate related either:confused:

The DVB-S2 channels in the clear on 5W (11139V 26707 2/3) were fine. The encrypted channels here on 11471 29950 2/3 were rock solid also.

All DVB-S2 channels on 19.2E were fine also.

More digging around. Tuned in 12344H and 12363V on Astra 2 - both are DVB-S2 transponders with the same symbol rate (29500) and FEC (3/4) as 12324V.

I have 12363V with no problems,

12344H cycles between 86~98% and occasionaly drops out completely.

12324V, 11798H, 11720H loose the Signal Quality and lock constantly.

I have 12363V with no problems,

12344H cycles between 86~98% and occasionaly drops out completely.

12324V, 11798H, 11720H loose the Signal Quality and lock constantly.
    Maybe a further note to Mvision is required, with the additional information. The quoted limit in the spec. sheet for the Mvision for symbol rate on DVB-S2 is 30,000 so it may be just on the limit perhaps:confused:

We may have to split this thread off to satellite (foreign) as we are not talking about the terrestrial performance of the box anymore;)

We may have to split this thread off to satellite (foreign) as we are not talking about the terrestrial performance of the box anymore;)

Yeah, you're right will do that now, hopefully there are a few tech-heads in there that could shine a light on it.

lads whats itv hd called on the mvision?

lads whats itv hd called on the mvision?

Go to the SaorTv forum, join up and download the channel set-up he has already created, it should be set-up pretty much the way you want it including ITV HD
    http://www.saortv.com/forum/index.php

• Advertisement

Go to the SaorTv forum, join up and download the channel set-up he has already created, it should be set-up pretty much the way you want it including ITV HD
    http://www.saortv.com/forum/index.php
    1+
    thanks alot

Advertisement