Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Certainly.

Breakfast:
    Box of 48 st bernards brand weetabix-- 3.00 (lasts about 3 weeks, so 1.00 a week)
    2 x pint cartons of milk = 69 x 2 = 1.38 euro a week
    SUBTOTAL: 2.38 approx per week

Lunch:
    Hovis Granary brown bread---1.59
    Wafer thin ham (not cheapest brand but not dearest)--3.00
    small tub low-low butter used over 6 weeks---30 cent a week perhaps
    SUBTOTAL: 4.90 approx per week

Dinners:
    Chicken goujons---tesco, 2 packs for 4.00 euro
    Birds eye potato waffles-- 1.30
    Bag of pasta shells-- 1.99
    2 x jars of pasta sauce-- 2x 84 cent = 1.60 euro
    Bag of frozen veg, tesco-- 1.20
    SUBTOTAL: 10.10 euro approx per week

Other food:
    24 bags walkers cheese and onion in tesco, been eating them the last 2 weeks!--- 2.80 euro i think it was = 1.40 per week
    coca cola--trying to give up but,--3.00 for 2 x 2litres
    SUBTOTAL: 4.40 euro aprox per week

I should say I have plenty of tea bags, red sauce, barbeque sauce and sugar that I took up to college before the start of lectures!
    Also, I never buy bottled water, drink from the taps.

TOTAL 21.78...hmm, and I could knock 3 quid off that straight away by giving up coke!! :o

Actually, just reading over that list made me realise how terrible my diet is!!

Lmao i get the ones i have highlighted to lol

Wow seriously it really is :( That's not a shopping list that's a rations list:eek:

P.s thanks i was hoping for tips but no way would i be able to live eating like that or feeding my family like that :(
    Why are you finding yourself having to eat like that :(

p.s where is your mince or other meats :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

caseyann wrote: »
    Lmao i get the ones i have highlighted to lol

Wow seriously it really is :( That's not a shopping list that's a rations list:eek:

P.s thanks i was hoping for tips but no way would i be able to live eating like that or feeding my family like that :(
    Why are you finding yourself having to eat like that :(

I find I'm kept full with it!
    Yeah those chicken goujons are lovely arn't they!! :D
    My list fluctuates slightly every week though, like I bought some soup last thursday that did me for thursday dinner and friday lunch. But I definately wouldnt ever spend more than 30 quid a week on food. I'm on a fairly tight budget this year as I wasnt working this summer. Also, i'm liable for college fees just for this year so I'm skint :o havn't been out yet and I'm well into the college term!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

caseyann wrote: »
    p.s where is your mince or other meats :S

Havn't eaten any meat other than chicken ( and wafer thin ham!) since starting back at college. Just eat pasta with the sauce!
    I either get birdseye southern fried chicken, tesco chicken goujons/ chicken wings if theyre going cheap. Did you get those birdseye reggae chicken steaks recently, for 1.30? Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Havn't eaten any meat other than chicken ( and wafer thin ham!) since starting back at college. Just eat pasta with the sauce!
    I either get birdseye southern fried chicken, tesco chicken goujons/ chicken wings if theyre going cheap. Did you get those birdseye reggae chicken steaks recently, for 1.30? Lovely!

that reggae chicken is good eating.

I find I'm kept full with it!
    Yeah those chicken goujons are lovely arn't they!! :D
    My list fluctuates slightly every week though, like I bought some soup last thursday that did me for thursday dinner and friday lunch. But I definately wouldnt ever spend more than 30 quid a week on food. I'm on a fairly tight budget this year as I wasnt working this summer. Also, i'm liable for college fees just for this year so I'm skint :o havn't been out yet and I'm well into the college term!!

Yeah they are lovely :D

I seriously couldnt do it again like that.I got very ill doing that few years back. That is some seriously tight budget.Fair play to you though wish you best of luck with your studies and hope things pick up.:)

• Advertisement

Wow :( Buy yourself some mince in tesco for your pasta sauce sometimes 199 for it and use that day or next. Not having and meat in your diet is really dangerous :( and get some greens into that diet.Better still get yourself the necessary for a stew carrots potatoes and oxtail soup and mince.And you can make three days out of that and get other dinner out of it with your chicken to.
    Yeah i have gotten them all lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I laughed! :D

Thanks in other news I just got a job so I'll be eating caviar (not really, I'm sure I wouldn't like as I'm fussy) and thinking of you all :P

To be slightly more supportive of the unemployed, I've been out of a job for 8 months before getting this job :eek:

So if I can do it anyone can and keep the chins up :D

Just takes time unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I don't know how people can survive eating processed food and potato waffles all the time. I get really ill when I eat like that. I have a mega tight budget as well, but try to eat some fruit and veg. I get a big bag of budget onions for about 1.50, a few peppers, chicken breasts, chopped tomatoes and a thing of mushrooms and that usually lasts me 4-5 days of dinners, if I use the big bags of pasta and rice I buy every month or two. I make stir fries, pasta with chopped tomatoes and mushrooms/onions, things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

I spend 20 a week on food now. we have a budget of 40.

We spend 12 on meat ( thats a butcher special, 3 chicken fillets, 3 chops, pound a mince, pound a stewing beef)

We spend about 20 in lidl then, make our own pasta sauce, pizza etc, pretty much I only eat one meal a day and to be honest its grand keeps me going, we have stuff here for snacks like pack of biscuits or whatever but I have to say getting the groceries down to 20 each a week has been a godsend. I think we actually do have enough in what we get. But I dont mean this to sound like a martyr just mean that like im well enough fed on 40 a week between myself and my OH :)

Food can be done on a budget :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

seahorse wrote: »
    I trust you know them well enough to be able to label them "young scum"?

If they're using free travel passes they have to be on disability allowance/benefit (whichever it's called)

Well they are deffo over 18 so yes their young.They cause anti social behaviour parties going all hours,gangs of scum coming and going all hours making noise,leave rubbish all over the area,fights in street,parking cars on green areas,reving cars loudly

Well if their well able to be buying cans of bud at half 3 on a monday in the shop i dont think they need a bus pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I find local chinese food stores are dirt cheap too- they have massive supplies of cheap veg in a heuge range, fish, seafood and chicken buns! Yum! I can easily buy enough food for 2 weeks with about 35-40 euros. Also my local one has started doing cheap slabs of coca cola and buy two get one free on all it's bulk buy gyoza and savory buns. Buy noodles and rice in bulk and you get a great deal too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Certainly.

Breakfast:
    Box of 48 st bernards brand weetabix-- 3.00 (lasts about 3 weeks, so 1.00 a week)
    2 x pint cartons of milk = 69 x 2 = 1.38 euro a week
    SUBTOTAL: 2.38 approx per week

Lunch:
    Hovis Granary brown bread---1.59
    Wafer thin ham (not cheapest brand but not dearest)--3.00
    small tub low-low butter used over 6 weeks---30 cent a week perhaps
    SUBTOTAL: 4.90 approx per week

Dinners:
    Chicken goujons---tesco, 2 packs for 4.00 euro
    Birds eye potato waffles-- 1.30
    Bag of pasta shells-- 1.99
    2 x jars of pasta sauce-- 2x 84 cent = 1.60 euro
    Bag of frozen veg, tesco-- 1.20
    SUBTOTAL: 10.10 euro approx per week

Other food:
    24 bags walkers cheese and onion in tesco, been eating them the last 2 weeks!--- 2.80 euro i think it was = 1.40 per week
    coca cola--trying to give up but,--3.00 for 2 x 2litres
    SUBTOTAL: 4.40 euro aprox per week

I should say I have plenty of tea bags, red sauce, barbeque sauce and sugar that I took up to college before the start of lectures!
    Also, I never buy bottled water, drink from the taps.

TOTAL 21.78...hmm, and I could knock 3 quid off that straight away by giving up coke!! :o

Actually, just reading over that list made me realise how terrible my diet is!!

sounds like you know how to draw up a budget , what would you say to a job as minister for finance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

irish_bob wrote: »
    sounds like you know how to draw up a budget , what would you say to a job as minister for finance

lol he's overqualified :P

Advertisement