Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dudess wrote: »
    If you had any morals you'd cut yourself off.

Suicide? Bit dramatic, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Suicide? Bit dramatic, isn't it?

any one else think of mash ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What shall I live on?
    Duh... Whatever the honorable, noble folk who have jobs and preach to you from their high-horses would live on - e.g. self respect and decency. Haven't you learnt anything from this thread?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think Dudess is drunk... on money she didn't earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Duh... Whatever the honorable, noble folk who have jobs and preach to you from their high-horses would live on - e.g. self respect and decency. Haven't you learnt anything from this thread?!
    Where do I sign up for these High horses? Is there a scheme??

• Advertisement

I think Dudess is drunk... on money she didn't earn.
    Indeed I am not! :mad: I'm not one of those dole types - I have work in the morning (oh wait, I'm posting on a message board at 2:30 on a Monday night).

Nah, being unemployed sucks, whatdoicare. Best of luck with the job hunt. :)

Oh and people who call those in your situation "spongers" are talking through their arse - and clearly have never been unemployed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Indeed I am not! :mad: I'm not one of those dole types - I have work in the morning (oh wait, I'm posting on a message board at 2:30 on a Monday night).

Oh and people who call those in your situation "spongers" are talking through their arse - and clearly have never been unemployed. :)
    I still want a high horse....I was gonna call him "Bob"! I could ride him into interviews!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

75 rent
    10 esb
    15 heeting oil
    60 food
    10 tabaco
    10 credit for a crappy 3 g internet connection
    10 fuel for my car
    5 for foot ball
    4 euros left.
    I treat my self to a coffe onece a week
    5 call credit

Could you reduce the food bill to €40-45. With all the special offers around at the moment it should be possible. Then you would have a few euro for a pint or a cinema trip.

I have that 3 internet thing too but on a monthly bill it's €19.99 so that would be half the cost of paying weekly.

How do you pay for things like toiletries, car tax and insurance?

People like you need the Christmas bonus but I know others who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

sunnyside wrote: »
    Could you reduce the food bill to €40-45. With all the special offers around at the moment it should be possible. Then you would have a few euro for a pint or a cinema trip.

I have that 3 internet thing too but on a monthly bill it's €19.99 so that would be half the cost of paying weekly.

How do you pay for things like toiletries, car tax and insurance?

People like you need the Christmas bonus but I know others who don't.

Have you looked at what the price reductions on necessary foods are?Any meat reduced in shops has a use by date of 1 to 2 days if lucky.Others are pizza.You have to eat other stuff with te meats and also need to remain healthy,otherwise ill and in the doctors. So you suggest that this person should reduce their food money? Bag of potatoes last only couple of days same as with majority of veg unless frozen and how good is that for you?
    I am sorry but that comment makes no sense what so ever.Also then they need shampoo and toiletries.

From what i have heard there is no christmas bonus anymore that should make a few people happy.

I'd love a job- I have too much education to get on a fas course, too high a fetac level to get any grant or BTE allowance on any other course anywhere and have just been told I'd have to start from scratch to get a degree as this is their new "policy" to discourage people skipping years (ie new policy for more money!)- so three years of getting qualifications I already have before I can do that final degree year and all of that with no grant or BTE allowance!
    I send out C.V.s on a weekly basis and could fill a book with rejection letters....including the very prestigious cleaning lady job, supermacs job and my personal fave - rentokil exterminater!
    I hate being on the dole, it feels like my life is on hold- why the heck would anyone be happy with this life?? I wish everyday that just one C.V. would lead to an interview and then onto a paying job- I don't care if it ends up the same as the dole or even less- I'd do it, just to have my life back!
    And no...it's nowhere near enough to live on.

That would make sense get off the dole to live a life of misery even more because you are working and still cant live.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I'd love a job- I have too much education to get on a fas course, too high a fetac level to get any grant or BTE allowance on any other course anywhere and have just been told I'd have to start from scratch to get a degree as this is their new "policy" to discourage people skipping years (ie new policy for more money!)- so three years of getting qualifications I already have before I can do that final degree year and all of that with no grant or BTE allowance!
    I send out C.V.s on a weekly basis and could fill a book with rejection letters....including the very prestigious cleaning lady job, supermacs job and my personal fave - rentokil exterminater!
    I hate being on the dole, it feels like my life is on hold- why the heck would anyone be happy with this life?? I wish everyday that just one C.V. would lead to an interview and then onto a paying job- I don't care if it ends up the same as the dole or even less- I'd do it, just to have my life back!
    And no...it's nowhere near enough to live on.

good post i feel your pain!!! its a very boring life been on the dole and not good for your mental state!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I recently started a job in Dublin after being unemployed and on the dole since I left college in May. Now I was getting my 200 a week plus rent allowance, and lets just say, I think I was actually coming out with more money a week that I am working 40 hours a week. And thats not because the dole is too much, its due to the fact that companies now don't need to pay massive wages for someone to take the job. But I wanted this job, I would've done it for less money, as I have no industrial experience. The life on the dole is not a life, I was extremely bored and depressed for the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bit of a personal question so feel free not to answer: What kind of salary are you on since you took the job? I'd be curious to know what you actually have to earn these days so your take-home pay matches dole+allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks the dole is far too high in this country, why would anyone want to get a job even if there was any. I have a mate I live it and he has more bloody money than I do and I work 45 hours a week. He has his rent payed for him by the government and pays 30 euro a month himself, and then the extra 200 a week as normal and this is without lifting a finger all he does all day is sleep, eat, smoke and eat and complain about being busy if he has to walk 5 mins to the shop at some point in the next 4 hours.

Do you think the government will be forced to cut the dole payments if the national debt and unemployment keeps rising?

Dole is too much - really .... €204 per week for dole, €342.40 for minimum wage .......

My missus was made redundant in February, I'm on a way below average wage, & she couldn't get dole for over 6 months, with us absolutely struggling to keep a roof over our heads. By the time she did get dole, it's still a struggle, especially with trips to & from interviews & stupid retarded job agencies that come to nothing.

I love how people say 'the dole is too much' & yet have zero regard for real people struggling to get by because they cannot see past the bloody scroungers & whole families of people who refuse to go looking for work because they abuse our benefits system & we've a government who refuses to engage in means testing OR the kind of benefits system the UK operates, where unless you can demonstrably prove you're seeking work, you ain't getting jack ****.

We've over 450,000 people unemployed - not all of them are unemployed by choice, or through faults of their own - greedy people charging obscene prices for services, & an even greedier set of banks who closed their wagons in, & those who property speculated on the back of handshakes caused this, NOT people who have become part of that growing figure.

The solution here is to penalise those who caused the problems & let them take their share of the burdon, not to further penalise honest, hard working, long contributing tax payers who found themselves jobless because of a shower of greedy buggers!

Each day I see my other half get even more dejected with people refusing to inform her why she is not getting called for interviews, or what was wrong with her CV, no-one giving her even the time of day to even help her get a job, despite all the efforts she puts in & the tears of feeling useless, & the efforts she goes to with agencies, interviews at agencies & everything else, & what's worse is I'm not even in a postion financially to say ''here's some money, start your own business.''

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you had any morals you'd cut yourself off. I don't care if it's your only source of income while you frantically look for jobs in a tiny pool along with countless others - you are sponging off the state.

I was preparing myself for a permanant ban, and then you said the following:

You had me there for a moment ;)

Jeez, you're not the only person who didn't see the irony of my first comment - thought it was pretty bleedin' obvious. :)

caseyann wrote: »
    Have you looked at what the price reductions on necessary foods are?Any meat reduced in shops has a use by date of 1 to 2 days if lucky.Others are pizza.You have to eat other stuff with te meats and also need to remain healthy,otherwise ill and in the doctors. So you suggest that this person should reduce their food money? Bag of potatoes last only couple of days same as with majority of veg unless frozen and how good is that for you?
    I am sorry but that comment makes no sense what so ever.Also then they need shampoo and toiletries.

Most people posting in the €10 a day thread seem to think that €10 a day for food is more than necessary.

I remember maybe a year ago pre-recession people on here were telling students and people with debt problems that you could eat for €20 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Most people posting in the €10 a day thread seem to think that €10 a day for food is more than necessary.

I remember maybe a year ago pre-recession people on here were telling students and people with debt problems that you could eat for €20 a week.

Where's that thread? Could do with some of that advice myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Stark wrote: »
    Bit of a personal question so feel free not to answer: What kind of salary are you on since you took the job? I'd be curious to know what you actually have to earn these days so your take-home pay matches dole+allowances.

OK, dole was 204.30 a week, rent allowance covered rent every week, so that leaves me with 204.30 a week.

New job, 1500 a month, works out at 375 a week, rent is 90 a week, so thats 295 a week.

But its in Dublin, was living in Cork, more expensive, and I'm travelling back to Cork every weekend as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Stark wrote: »
    Where's that thread? Could do with some of that advice myself :)

Dude, use the search funct... oh... wait... :P

As a student I could live on 25 euro a week. I shopped in aldi, got great deals.
    Macca07 wrote: »
    OK, dole was 204.30 a week, rent allowance covered rent every week, so that leaves me with 204.30 a week.

New job, 1500 a month, works out at 375 a week, rent is 90 a week, so thats 295 a week.

But its in Dublin, was living in Cork, more expensive, and I'm travelling back to Cork every weekend as well

You got full allowance for your rent? I thought you had to pay for the first 24 or something?

295 a week after rent isn't bad to be honest. I would welcome that with open pockets :)

• Advertisement

295 a week after rent isn't bad to be honest. I would welcome that with open pockets :)

Yes but it's only €90 extra for 35 or 40 hours work. A lot of people would choose to live on less and not work.

Macca07 wrote: »

What about bills,Is it all included in your rent?

Still more than you had on dole congratulations on new job hope things get better for you from now :)

Ten euro a day on food is enough no one saying its not,But trying to eat healthy on 35 45 euro a week crazy.And i have lived on that and not ate for some days trying to do that.And my food wouldn't be any way at all extravagant.

Also some people cant get to Aldis ;)

As a student I could live on 25 euro a week. I shopped in aldi, got great deals.

Were you eating them canned foods and processed crap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

I currently spend 20- 25 quid a week on food, as a student. If necessity compelled me, I could get by on a tenner without going hungry; only thing is theres only so much weetabix and porridge a man can take!

I currently spend 20- 25 quid a week on food, as a student. If necessity compelled me, I could get by on a tenner without going hungry; only thing is theres only so much weetabix and porridge a man can take!

Tell us what is your grocery shopping list that you manage to live on that much a week.And are staying healthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah so your suggesting everyone eat Aldi noodles every day of the week lol.

Or cardboard pizza's with no nutritional values.

I remember getting a tesco pizza once (not branded Tesco but it was the cheapest one of the shelf) to see what it was like.

I got half way through it before I felt like I was going to throw up and had to stop eating and it wasn't the actual taste of the sauce or toppings which wasn't all that bad.

It was the base which tasted felt like it was made from some weird artificial material not meant to be consumed by humans.

thebman wrote: »
    Yeah so your suggesting everyone eat Aldi noodles every day of the week lol.

Or cardboard pizza's with no nutritional values.

I remember getting a tesco pizza once (not branded Tesco but it was the cheapest one of the shelf) to see what it was like.

I got half way through it before I felt like I was going to throw up and had to stop eating and it wasn't the actual taste of the sauce or toppings which wasn't all that bad.

It was the base which tasted felt like it was made from some weird artificial material not meant to be consumed by humans.

Its food eat it whether you like it or not :D

caseyann wrote: »
    Tell us what is your grocery shopping list that you manage to live on that much a week.And are staying healthy?

Certainly.

Breakfast:
    Box of 48 st bernards brand weetabix-- 3.00 (lasts about 3 weeks, so 1.00 a week)
    2 x pint cartons of milk = 69 x 2 = 1.38 euro a week
    SUBTOTAL: 2.38 approx per week

Lunch:
    Hovis Granary brown bread---1.59
    Wafer thin ham (not cheapest brand but not dearest)--3.00
    small tub low-low butter used over 6 weeks---30 cent a week perhaps
    SUBTOTAL: 4.90 approx per week

Dinners:
    Chicken goujons---tesco, 2 packs for 4.00 euro
    Birds eye potato waffles-- 1.30
    Bag of pasta shells-- 1.99
    2 x jars of pasta sauce-- 2x 84 cent = 1.60 euro
    Bag of frozen veg, tesco-- 1.20
    SUBTOTAL: 10.10 euro approx per week

Other food:
    24 bags walkers cheese and onion in tesco, been eating them the last 2 weeks!--- 2.80 euro i think it was = 1.40 per week
    coca cola--trying to give up but,--3.00 for 2 x 2litres
    SUBTOTAL: 4.40 euro aprox per week

I should say I have plenty of tea bags, red sauce, barbeque sauce and sugar that I took up to college before the start of lectures!
    Also, I never buy bottled water, drink from the taps.

TOTAL 21.78...hmm, and I could knock 3 quid off that straight away by giving up coke!! :o

Actually, just reading over that list made me realise how terrible my diet is!!

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »

I laughed! :D

Advertisement