Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

have you applied for a medical card? I know there is a long waiting list (They are only sorting through Applications sent in May last now) but I think if you pay for treatment and then get a medical card....I think....I think you can get that money refunded to you.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong here

I didnt know you could do that. I just never seem to have a spare 50euro and its a doctor ive not used before and he wont sign my form unless I book in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Im in agony with 3 months anytime I drink alcohol, not too often but Im pretty sure I could do with getting it looked at, but I cant afford the doctor. I had the flu a few weeks back and could barely afford uniflu.

The dole isn't there so you can go out on the piss and then complain about not being able to afford medical fees because of an alcohol related illness. Stop drinkin you scrounge and GET A JOB

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

The dole isn't there so you can go out on the piss and then complain about not being able to afford medical fees because of an alcohol related illness. Stop drinkin you scrounge and GET A JOB

that's pretty harsh...I'm on JB and I still like going for a drink every now and again. Why should we sit in and stare at the four walls. God forbid we are part of an equal Society.

FYI I am out of work since Christmas and have only managed to get a job one day a week. It may be worth being a bit more sympathetic before you refer to people scrounging

that's pretty harsh...I'm on JB and I still like going for a drink every now and again. Why should we sit in and stare at the four walls. God forbid we are part of an equal Society.

FYI I am out of work since Christmas and have only managed to get a job one day a week. It may be worth being a bit more sympathetic before you refer to people scrounging

Ah dont even reply to him hes not worth it, were worth 10 of people like him. lol I dont have a social life but I do enjoy a few drinks at home with my OH. lol Im not about to start justifying it to people who I wouldnt piss on if they were on fire;)

I love the way people say GET A JOB, like there are jobs out there. Its funny how stupid people are .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Okay. Ffs if you can afford to run a car, have a few drinks and save a bit every week, then you have no reason to be complaining and whining. If you wish to improve your quality of life beyond that, then you have to go out and work. Now I'm sorry that the jobs aren't there at the moment, but you can't run the system any other way. As it is, the €21 billion social welfare bill (along with the public sector wage bill) is crippling the economy even further, postponing the recovery that other countries are experiencing and which is needed for us to return to employment growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Stark wrote: »
    Okay. Ffs if you can afford to run a car, have a few drinks and save a bit every week, then you have no reason to be complaining and whining. If you wish to improve your quality of life beyond that, then you have to go out and work. Now I'm sorry that the jobs aren't there at the moment, but you can't run the system any other way. As it is, the €21 billion social welfare bill (along with the public sector wage bill) is crippling the economy even further, postponing the recovery that other countries are experiencing and which is needed for us to return to employment growth.

Be fair now - if by 'run a car' you mean chuck €20 petrol into every once in a while, then yeah, I can and will put money aside for that.
    'Have a few drinks' - the guy clearly said that he has a few at home with the missus, he didn't say he's off on the lash every weekend.
    And 'save' - the girl said she puts €15 by a week. If she can afford to, why not? As someone else has already said, it's better to have something there if something comes up, ie health issues.

I get it, trust me, the social welfare system is this country is a shambles, but blame the people that made it that way, not those who find themselves out of work and are just taking what is owed to them (ie the ones on Job Seekers Benefit).

Fiii wrote: »
    I get it, trust me, the social welfare system is this country is a shambles, but blame the people that made it that way, not those who find themselves out of work and are just taking what is owed to them (ie the ones on Job Seekers Benefit).

I'm only blaming the ones who won't shut up about being entitled to more. It's not our fault that you had a high paying job and were used to more luxuries before you got laid off. Whatever happened to all the redundancy money anyway?

I'm only blaming the ones who won't shut up about being entitled to more. It's not our fault that you had a high paying job and were used to more luxuries before you got laid off. Whatever happened to all the redundancy money anyway?

I don't think anyone is saying they are entitled to more though, are they? (sorry if they are, haven't read the whole thread)
    Most of us are just defending what we do get, and trying to explain to the begrudgers that it isn't all sunshine and lollipops being on welfare.

I for one wasn't entitled to any redundancy as I switched jobs only a few months before the recession hit.

Personally I don't see having my car as a luxury, I see it as a necessity and I'm sure many others do also. Public transport is a joke in Dublin (besides the luas) and you can't rely on it.
    I also live at the foot of the Dublin mountains where public transport is horrific, so I need my car.

I get (well, got now) my 204 a week, and I make it work. It's not easy, but I do. I just don't see why I should have to justify what I do with it.
    It's MY money. I payed my PRSI. That's the way welfare works. It's not like I am taking the money out of any of your pockets.

Leave them off Fii they havent a clue. 20euro in the car none of their business. A few cans the OH might buy every 2dn friday, but I assume they think people like me spend the full 200 on drink and hash. And there hes off again assuming we all got redundancy payments, if you must know I got a thank you card and 150 dunnes stores voucher when I was let go from my job.

It makes them feel better about theirselves to assume everybody on jobseekers is a hash smoking waster and entitled to nothing. We know ourselves were well paid up and have probably paid in a lot more than these people. **** them, I owe nobody on here a thing and yes I am well entitled to me car. The question was is dole too much, in my case it most definately is not. I for one will not be shamed by anyone on here and I wont be giving up my car or where I live or anything else. I`ll scrimp by but I wont lie down and roll over.

Stark whos saying their entitled to more??? Name and shame instead of tarring us all with the one brush!

• Advertisement

Fortunately at least one of them has been given a holiday from After Hours so there's probably no point in continuing to argue with someone who can't post.

Fortunately at least one of them has been given a holiday from After Hours so there's probably no point in continuing to argue with someone who can't post.

Yea probably. Just name and shame if their bothering you its not fair to say it as though we were all saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I have no problem with people going for a few drinks. My problem is that person knowing they get sick after drinkin and then blaming the system for not giving them enough to cover the medical expenses. Thats just ridiculous

I have no problem with people going for a few drinks. My problem is that person knowing they get sick after drinkin and then blaming the system for not giving them enough to cover the medical expenses. Thats just ridiculous

FFS Im not blaming the system. Im just saying I cant afford the doctor. If I had of said I had a lump in my testicles would I get the same response?? My god it was just an example of again not having money. I most likely have an allergy ok not the systems fault! I probably have 6 cans a month and an allergy no biggy, Im just saying most MOST people on welfare cant afford the doctor. Its not like I drink everyday and its NOT a big issue in my life, its an allergy triggered by alcohol but as I rarely drink anyway Im not overly concerned.

Yea probably. Just name and shame if their bothering you its not fair to say it as though we were all saying it.

Ok. But also, please don't assume that all my opinions are regarding those on JB. Most of my opinions of the system are based around JA and long term unemployment by choice. There's something very wrong when standard of living on JA>standard of living on low pay. I especially didn't like the sentiment (not voiced by you, by other posters) that a car is a basic necessity for someone on JA, considering I was on minimum wage five years ago and couldn't afford a car until two years ago (thankfully I'm on average industrial wage these days) so it was definitely a luxury in my case.

Ok. But also, please don't assume that all my opinions are regarding those on JB. Most of my opinions of the system are based around JA and long term unemployment by choice. There's something very wrong when standard of living on JA>standard of living on low pay. I especially didn't like the sentiment (not voiced by you, by other posters) that a car is a basic necessity for someone on JA, considering I was on minimum wage five years ago and couldn't afford a car until two years ago (thankfully I'm on average industrial wage these days) so it was definitely a luxury in my case.

I get you Stark, everybodys circumstances are different. I lived in the middle of nowhere when I got my 1st job so have had a car with years as no buses go regularly through where I live so for me personally a car or a moped is a necsessity. As for long term umemployed by choice I dont agree with it and I think people should regularly be asked to produce evidence that they are actually attempting to get jobs, emails, rejection letters whatever. Every 8 weeks people should be made to show that they are looking for work, for people genuinely looking theyd have no problem with this, I dunno about others but I hate being on jobseekers its depressing.

I think there is a horrible stigma attached to being on social welfare, because most people are very uneducated about it.
    Ashamedly, I was one of those people before this happened, but this has opened my eyes alot.

There are now, and always will be those that take advantage and believe the world owes them something, and I will be the first to point them out and bring them up on it.
    But there are also those (especially now) who find themselves in a hard position, and as demeaning as it is (because of said stigma) they hold their hands up and ask for help. Help which is more often than not owed to them.
    Most are hard working people who worked all their lives and who paid their PRSI.
    Most are not out to 'screw' the system, they are not 'taking money out of your pockets', and would love nothing more than to work again.

People in this country have become so money driven. I think it is really sad, and I pity those who can't see past that.

Well, I am off down to the social welfare to sign OFF.
    I have a freelance gig of four months ahead of me - cash in hand. I could theorectically just take it, say nothing and keep getting my 204 a week, but that's not why I went on social welfare. I didn't go down there a give a big F You to the government and milk them for all I could.
    I accepted my 204 a week, the money that I had earned through PRSI payments, when I needed it.
    After I finish up in the social welfare office, I will be off to the revenue office to see how I go about paying tax and PRSI on the money I will get over the next few months.
    Most of us are honest, hard working people...just like you. We don't want handouts. We want to work, we want to contribute to the economy again to get ourselves out of this mess.

Please educate yourselves on how the system works before judging those on welfare.

Over and out ;)

p.s Stark, I did not say a car was a basic necessity for everyone of JA (I was actually on JB, just for the record), my point was that I shouldn't have to sell my car (which I bought and paid for when times were better and I had worked hard for my wage, just like you) and take public transport, if public transport would be more money and more hassle to use.
    There are people that do need their cars.
    I never said everyone.

I think there is a horrible stigma attached to being on social welfare, because most people are very uneducated about it.
    Ashamedly, I was one of those people before this happened, but this has opened my eyes alot.

There are now, and always will be those that take advantage and believe the world owes them something, and I will be the first to point them out and bring them up on it.
    But there are also those (especially now) who find themselves in a hard position, and as demeaning as it is (because of said stigma) they hold their hands up and ask for help. Help which is more often than not owed to them.
    Most are hard working people who worked all their lives and who paid their PRSI.
    Most are not out to 'screw' the system, they are not 'taking money out of your pockets', and would love nothing more than to work again.

People in this country have become so money driven. I think it is really sad, and I pity those who can't see past that.

I have a freelance gig of four months ahead of me - cash in hand. I could theorectically just take it, say nothing and keep getting my 204 a week, but that's not why I went on social welfare. I didn't go down there a give a big F You to the government and milk them for all I could.
    I accepted my 204 a week, the money that I had earned through PRSI payments, when I needed it.
    After I finish up in the social welfare office, I will be off to the revenue office to see how I go about paying tax and PRSI on the money I will get over the next few months.
    Most of us are honest, hard working people...just like you. We don't want handouts. We want to work, we want to contribute to the economy again to get ourselves out of this mess.

Please educate yourselves on how the system works before judging those on welfare.

Over and out ;)

p.s Stark, I did not say a car was a basic necessity for everyone of JA (I was actually on JB, just for the record), my point was that I shouldn't have to sell my car (which I bought and paid for when times were better and I had worked hard for my wage, just like you) and take public transport, if public transport would be more money and more hassle to use.
    I never said everyone.

Well said Fii, I hope the freelance goes well for you:) Your totally right with the stigma attached and its that stigma that has some people feeling ashamed about collecting what they are entitled to. I was ashamed when I was first let go, but Im not anymore Ive learned the majority of people of welfare are decent people like myself and yourself and for that reason Im not ashamed now to take what Im well entitled to and I wont have anyone looking down their nose at me because I happen to have been let go and use the stamps Im well paid up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

due our very generous wellfare state , their is no reason that any family in ireland could not afford private health insurance as even those on the dole who often spend 50 a week on ciggarettes , booze and bookies would have no excuse not to cover for thier health , if someone spends all thier money on takeaways and the horses , i for one dont think our taxes should be paying for thier liver surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If people just lock themselves inside and apply for jobs all day they'll most likely never get them since they won't have any social skills by the time they get to interview.

You can't have someone bored and depressed and turning up for a job interview.

Think about it logically please. People have to have some enjoyment in their lives.
    irish_bob wrote: »
    due our very generous wellfare state , their is no reason that any family in ireland could not afford private health insurance as even those on the dole who often spend 50 a week on ciggarettes , booze and bookies would have no excuse not to cover for thier health , if someone spends all thier money on takeaways and the horses , i for one dont think our taxes should be paying for thier liver surgery

You got evidence for that? Many people don't even smoke or drink for fooks sake. Stereotype much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

That's a very stereotypical view!

I get the JA and have never spent a penny on bookies or cigarettes.. If i have a drink or two to stay socialised, is that ok?
    I get up every morning, get on the internet and try to find a job. I'm not on JA for the good of my health, it's a necessity because without it i'd be homeless with no food and even less job prospects.
    People have to be able to get by and if i get the JA after a year of work, does my PRSI not count for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Over and out ;)

I never said everyone.

on the contary , thier is absolutley no stigma in this country for living off the state , the majority of people salute those who can feed off mother ireland , if you want to see stigma towards being on wellfare , go to america

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

I wouldn't say its too much, but I dont think people who are still living at home with their parents should get as much as people who have a family and a household to run.

on the contary , thier is absolutley no stigma in this country for living off the state , the majority of people salute those who can feed off mother ireland , if you want to see stigma towards being on wellfare , go to america

50 pages of 'get a job you scrounge' type comments beg to differ :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

It may have been stated before (I'm not ready the full 50 pages!) but why don't the government have some scheme to get the people on the dole for years (that have no intention to work) to do some sort of community work for their dole. If they had to 'work' for 20-30 hours a week for my tax money that I have to earn driving 15 hours a week to work and working shift work and weekends while they are enjoying themselves in the pub, maybe just maybe working again may be attractive to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Ah dont even reply to him hes not worth it, were worth 10 of people like him. lol I dont have a social life but I do enjoy a few drinks at home with my OH. lol Im not about to start justifying it to people who I wouldnt piss on if they were on fire;)

I love the way people say GET A JOB, like there are jobs out there. Its funny how stupid people are .

I never said that,i know jobs are scarce..I just agree that cuts have to be made in every sector of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I get you Stark, everybodys circumstances are different. I lived in the middle of nowhere when I got my 1st job so have had a car with years as no buses go regularly through where I live so for me personally a car or a moped is a necsessity. As for long term umemployed by choice I dont agree with it and I think people should regularly be asked to produce evidence that they are actually attempting to get jobs, emails, rejection letters whatever. Every 8 weeks people should be made to show that they are looking for work, for people genuinely looking theyd have no problem with this, I dunno about others but I hate being on jobseekers its depressing.

Its hard to enforce,people have to show they look for jobs(i think) when they first apply for the dole..I remember a few weeks back a mexican fela came into the shop looking for a job,he didnt have a cv,didnt want an interview,had poor english,and all he had was a dole form with a list of shops that didnt have any jobs.I cant believe other shops even wrote their shop down since it was obvious what he was doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Leave them off Fii they havent a clue. 20euro in the car none of their business. A few cans the OH might buy every 2dn friday, but I assume they think people like me spend the full 200 on drink and hash. And there hes off again assuming we all got redundancy payments, if you must know I got a thank you card and 150 dunnes stores voucher when I was let go from my job.

It makes them feel better about theirselves to assume everybody on jobseekers is a hash smoking waster and entitled to nothing. We know ourselves were well paid up and have probably paid in a lot more than these people. **** them, I owe nobody on here a thing and yes I am well entitled to me car. The question was is dole too much, in my case it most definately is not. I for one will not be shamed by anyone on here and I wont be giving up my car or where I live or anything else. I`ll scrimp by but I wont lie down and roll over.
    That cracked me up.

Nothing to do with you personally, Mr. Bravo.
    It's just that I saw coming two years ago.
    The AH regualrs at the time were full of themselves. They were mouthing off about dole scroungers back them. The same people are now giving out about being broke because their jobs are gone and they have to get by on the dole.

I know it's really crass and low to laugh at them, but I'm going to laugh anyway.
    They laughed at me two years ago when I told them that they may end up on the dole themselves some day. They were too blinded by the Celtic Tiger to believe me.

If I knew them personally, I'd go to their local welfare exchanges and point an laugh at them. Not because thet are on the dole, but because they sneered at those in the same situation two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

feb09 wrote: »
    So apparently the dole should be enough so people can afford a car.
    It already covers peoples rent, food and living expenses.
    Anything else ?
    How about a holiday ? Some good deals on budget travel at the moment.
    Or would people like to go somewhere a bit nicer ?

Has it ever occured to you that some people had a car while they DID have a job, and are now effectively stuck with it because its value has dropped to the point of being financially impractical to sell it? Also some people NEED there car even if they are now on the dole. You'd swear we had a comprehensive, reliable transport system across the whole island.

Some peoples expenses are more than others, simple as. Honestly, although it might seem generous compared to other European states, would those of you on your high horse really rather be living the 'high life' on 204 a week?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Fol20 wrote: »
    I know i didnt pay for your dole..Im only a mere student working part-time on min wage to get myself through college..Im just saying that people have to pay for the money you get from the dole..

Fair enough if your looking for a job and are on the dole less than a year,,but when people take advantage of the system or still live the high life even on the dole,it annoys me..I know there are honest people on it as well but the dishonest,who are on the dole the longest get the most money off tax payers,and it bugs me a load.

Are you for real?! How much have you contributed to the tax coffers?! Your working part-time on the min wage for christ sake! A €1 a week in tax is it?! I do of course understand the principle at least, but dont be kidding us that your being 'robbed' by the 'scroungers' on the dole:P

Advertisement