Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Are you for real?! How much have you contributed to the tax coffers?! Your working part-time on the min wage for christ sake! A €1 a week in tax is it?! I do of course understand the principle at least, but dont be kidding us that your being 'robbed' by the 'scroungers' on the dole:P

Actually 5 or 6 a week :eek:..Im broke from the taxing :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Are you for real?! How much have you contributed to the tax coffers?! Your working part-time on the min wage for christ sake! A €1 a week in tax is it?! I do of course understand the principle at least, but dont be kidding us that your being 'robbed' by the 'scroungers' on the dole:P
    Now now, every little helps!

*disclaimer - I do not work for tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Not really relevant, people that work or have worked aren't really scroungers so I say pay them.

If out of work now they will get work eventually because they want to and pay back anything they've taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Terry wrote: »
    That cracked me up.

Nothing to do with you personally, Mr. Bravo.
    It's just that I saw coming two years ago.
    The AH regualrs at the time were full of themselves. They were mouthing off about dole scroungers back them. The same people are now giving out about being broke because their jobs are gone and they have to get by on the dole.

I know it's really crass and low to laugh at them, but I'm going to laugh anyway.
    They laughed at me two years ago when I told them that they may end up on the dole themselves some day. They were too blinded by the Celtic Tiger to believe me.

If I knew them personally, I'd go to their local welfare exchanges and point an laugh at them
    Not because thet are on the dole, but because they sneered at those in the same situation two years ago.

This got me thinking about all those people (86 of them:p) who thanked the OP (i'm assuming that they agreed with him that the dole was too high) back in January.
    I was just wondering if any of them have lost their jobs since then and if so,do they still think the dole is too high now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Terry wrote: »
    That cracked me up.

Nothing to do with you personally, Mr. Bravo.
    It's just that I saw coming two years ago.
    The AH regualrs at the time were full of themselves. They were mouthing off about dole scroungers back them. The same people are now giving out about being broke because their jobs are gone and they have to get by on the dole.

I know it's really crass and low to laugh at them, but I'm going to laugh anyway.
    They laughed at me two years ago when I told them that they may end up on the dole themselves some day. They were too blinded by the Celtic Tiger to believe me.

If I knew them personally, I'd go to their local welfare exchanges and point an laugh at them. Not because thet are on the dole, but because they sneered at those in the same situation two years ago.

Eh Terry I was not one of those "regular AH People" So Id appreciate if you didnt quote when your on about this and make it look like ive gone from the dole is too much, to the dole is not too much. Maybe find one of the people that actually did that and direct them to this thread, just dont imply that it was me in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Stop drinkin you scrounge and GET A JOB

Banned. Post like an adult or not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

thebman wrote: »
    Not really relevant, people that work or have worked aren't really scroungers so I say pay them.

If out of work now they will get work eventually because they want to and pay back anything they've taken out.

You misunderstood me, i think. Dont think they, or indeed myself are scroungers, just think its a bit rich that a student paying all of six euros a week in tax is making judgements well beyond his years without really understanding peoples situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

tu shay
    I like your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

I like your username.

Thanks Magic Marker.......debatable whether it is true or not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

My mum knows a young lone parent who has a council house to herself, just does the odd course once in a while and ... (no joke)..

is getting a boob job in the HSE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Stark wrote: »
    Ok. But also, please don't assume that all my opinions are regarding those on JB. Most of my opinions of the system are based around JA and long term unemployment by choice. There's something very wrong when standard of living on JA>standard of living on low pay. I especially didn't like the sentiment (not voiced by you, by other posters) that a car is a basic necessity for someone on JA, considering I was on minimum wage five years ago and couldn't afford a car until two years ago (thankfully I'm on average industrial wage these days) so it was definitely a luxury in my case.

Don't know I was able to afford a car in my first job. Took a year before I'd saved enough but I could have got a loan if required, I just don't do loans.

I agree about JA. Needs to be much lower for people who are long term unemployed or have never contributed anything. I don't know what you should define long term to.

I think if someone walks out of college into present climate they should get a JB allowance not JA as they never had a chance to contribute. I also think people who just ran out of contributions should be given an addition seeking time as they were at least in work until recently.

Anyone unemployed for a year or more during boom time should have theirs substantially reduced and would probably save the state a fortune. Should also cut down on silly additional benefits that don't make sense. Obviously nobody wants the disabled effected either.

Don't if cuts to the rest would be substantial though :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks the dole is far too high in this country, why would anyone want to get a job even if there was any. I have a mate I live it and he has more bloody money than I do and I work 45 hours a week. He has his rent payed for him by the government and pays 30 euro a month himself, and then the extra 200 a week as normal and this is without lifting a finger all he does all day is sleep, eat, smoke and eat and complain about being busy if he has to walk 5 mins to the shop at some point in the next 4 hours.

Do you think the government will be forced to cut the dole payments if the national debt and unemployment keeps rising?

The dole is a transfer of wealth from the productive to the inproductive. There should be no dole, I myself am voluntarily unemployed and I take no part in these welfare schemes.

There should not be a dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I didnt read the whole 20 pages, just some here and there. I have a question though, is there a graph anywhere showing dole payments, basic single person without any extra allowances, versus time .... maybe over the last 20 years (possibly also showing inflation and average industrial wage)

I remember in 1990 when I left college I was entitled to something like £32 a week and I would love to know how it went from that to the current figure.

(I should say that I emigrated 4 years ago, writing was on the wall writ large)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

In my road theres a hse house with aload of young scum living in it,i was getting the bus last week and 2 of the lads that live in that house got on the bus but had free travel passes...these guys are aged around 20.HOW THE HELL ARE THEY GETTING FREE TRAVEL???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i think its a bloody disgrace that if someone new signs on they get scrutanised to the last whilst there have people been on it for years and they woudnt get called in or question about any attempts to find work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Just an observation regarding the genuine jobseeking punters - and I completely understand the mental anguish, spirit-sapping, boredom stakes at hand - but however people bark on about the amount of this and that being received, a very large element regarding esteem is that of becoming somewhat of a pariah.

It seems to me, at the start, those mates (who are employed) would offer that 'it's such hard luck losing a job and you'll get one soon!' but over a period of months the unfortunate one(s) without a job start to get written out of being invited to anything that involves spending much money. And I'm talking something as simple as a visit to the cinema.
    It isn't done in a nasty way I'm sure, but I'm sure more tend to be more forgetful as the months go on.

I'm sure people may be playing a very miniature fiddle about this comment, but it can be a soul destroying element in a downturn that many have experienced.

And those that are spoofing with the system, well I'm sure it won't affect them in those terms as these types generally have a large annex of mates doing the same at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just an observation regarding the genuine jobseeking punters - and I completely understand the mental anguish, spirit-sapping, boredom stakes at hand - but however people bark on about the amount of this and that being received, a very large element regarding esteem is that of becoming somewhat of a pariah.

It seems to me, at the start, those mates (who are employed) would offer that 'it's such hard luck losing a job and you'll get one soon!' but over a period of months the unfortunate one(s) without a job start to get written out of being invited to anything that involves spending much money. And I'm talking something as simple as a visit to the cinema.
    It isn't done in a nasty way I'm sure, but I'm sure more tend to be more forgetful as the months go on.

I'm sure people may be playing a very miniature fiddle about this comment, but it can be a soul destroying element in a downturn that many have experienced.

And those that are spoofing with the system, well I'm sure it won't affect them in those terms as these types generally have a large annex of mates doing the same at the same time.

Good post.

Excellent post. I for one can say I found out who my real friends are when it became aparent that it wasnt going to be as easy as I thought to get a new job. Now to be honest like you say I dont think it was out of spite, one said to me they were sick of me using money as an excuse to not go anywhere ( I think this was a case of you know how people say their broke but manage a night out anyway, well I couldnt even afford petrol so believe me it was no lame excuse) and the 2nd of these 2 stopped speaking to me because I snapped a little and said I was probably the worst person to come to every 2nd day complaining about the 7.5% paycut she got because well I would of loved that over no job at all.

I really no longer get invited to stuff by people that would have invited me in the past and I get the odd "yer a hermit" now jibe etc, F%ck em. I am disapointed though that its come to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

All the people on here who have ridiculed unemployed people should thank their lucky stars.

You never know whats around the corner in life and you may find yourself unemployed at some point. You'll then find that all your pre conceived notions about the dole being too high will be blown out of the water. Don't take my word for it. Just wait until it happens to you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By that time the country will probably be bankrupt and won't be able to afford to pay the dole anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

By that time the country will probably be bankrupt and won't be able to afford to pay the dole anyway.

What happens then>

It's not as if we will be able to earn any money in the future if the country is bankrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

In my road theres a hse house with aload of young scum living in it,i was getting the bus last week and 2 of the lads that live in that house got on the bus but had free travel passes...these guys are aged around 20.HOW THE HELL ARE THEY GETTING FREE TRAVEL???

I trust you know them well enough to be able to label them "young scum"?

If they're using free travel passes they have to be on disability allowance/benefit (whichever it's called)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was unemployed there for six months. It gets boring after a while. At the end of the day I paid PRSI so when the day would come, I'd be looked after. There definately needs to be a review though, I know guys never worked a day in their lives. Make them do social work of some sort or they get nothing.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

When the cut all the Public Sector wages there will be plenty left to pay the dole.We may even get a raise.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

SLUSK wrote: »
    There should not be a dole.

While it makes sense from a brute economic point of view to simply keep the unproductive individuals alive with extremely basic living conditions, I don't think its humane really to let whole families suffer as a result of the potential breadwinner's laziness/ mental problems/ lack of industiousness/ bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Excellent post. I for one can say I found out who my real friends are when it became aparent that it wasnt going to be as easy as I thought to get a new job. Now to be honest like you say I dont think it was out of spite, one said to me they were sick of me using money as an excuse to not go anywhere ( I think this was a case of you know how people say their broke but manage a night out anyway, well I couldnt even afford petrol so believe me it was no lame excuse) and the 2nd of these 2 stopped speaking to me because I snapped a little and said I was probably the worst person to come to every 2nd day complaining about the 7.5% paycut she got because well I would of loved that over no job at all.

I really no longer get invited to stuff by people that would have invited me in the past and I get the odd "yer a hermit" now jibe etc, F%ck em. I am disapointed though that its come to that.

That pretty much sums up my story since being let go earlier this year.

I am glad to be getting the dole as it just about covers me to survive, but things like going to the pub have been stopped totally and even a simple thing like going to the cinema has become one film so far this year.

I think a lot of people don't grasp what it means to actually have nothing left in your wallet after paying the bills, and think you are just being miserly when you say you cannot go to the pub or whatever.

It does open your eyes to a lot of people that you regarded as friends beforehand though, and it also makes you wonder as to how people can actually become career dole claimers, because there is no novelty in going months without having a job to go to in my eyes, so I cannot imagine being like this for years on end.

I am hoping that my luck changes though as this week I have a number of interviews after not getting so much as a call back for months, so if things go well I will be able to sign off soon and go back to work. It is amazing how less picky you become about the jobs that you apply for when you do not have a job to start with. :)

It will make me have a lot more sympathy for those who lost jobs and have families to feed though, I am lucky in the sense that I don't have to try and feed/clothe kids etc whilst I am out of work. It has to be very hard for people who now find themselves in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

speaking of the dole being too much, do ye have the same opinion on one parent family allowance, and the back to education allowance?
    they are all similiar rates to the dole, including rent allowance, medical card, discount for travel and the 204.30lump sum every week.

any views on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

For that money they should be doing something.

Other countries get those on state welfare to actually contribute.
    ie. Recycling, cleaning the streets, green projects,etc.

I know a few guys who act tried to get fired so they could Dole it, pathetic.

For that money they should be doing something.

Other countries get those on state welfare to actually contribute.
    ie. Recycling, cleaning the streets, green projects,etc.

I know a few guys who act tried to get fired so they could Dole it, pathetic.

"actually contribute" I paid me stamps! Not taking it outa your pocket so maybe ya should watch yer generalisations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

"actually contribute" I paid me stamps! Not taking it outa your pocket so maybe ya should watch yer generalisations.

sorry, you are dead right. I understand for many its a time of need, but for some its just an abuse.

Advertisement