Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Fiii wrote: »
    I tried my best not to reply to this thread until now, but this comment really peed me right off.
    You think YOU pay for MY dole??? I think not dear. I paid my tax and PRSI in full for 10 straight years. I paid for my own dole thank you very much.
    Fi

I know i didnt pay for your dole..Im only a mere student working part-time on min wage to get myself through college..Im just saying that people have to pay for the money you get from the dole..

Fair enough if your looking for a job and are on the dole less than a year,,but when people take advantage of the system or still live the high life even on the dole,it annoys me..I know there are honest people on it as well but the dishonest,who are on the dole the longest get the most money off tax payers,and it bugs me a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Fol20 wrote: »
    I know i didnt pay for your dole..Im only a mere student working part-time on min wage to get myself through college..Im just saying that people have to pay for the money you get from the dole..

You really have no idea, do you?
    I paid for MY dole with MY PRSI. That is where my dole comes from, certainly not from you or anyone else!
    Do you even pay tax or PRSI for heavens sake? Because if not, you have NO place making comment on any of us that do/did!

I understand your annoyance at those who 'work' the system, I feel the same way, but you are tarring us all with the same brush, and that is just not fair.

edit: when I say 'dole' I mean Job Seekers Benefit - just for clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

You really have no idea, do you?
    I paid for MY dole with MY PRSI. That is where my dole comes from, certainly not from you or anyone else!
    Do you even pay tax or PRSI for heavens sake? Because if not, you have NO place making comment on any of us that do/did!

I understand your annoyance at those who 'work' the system, I feel the same way, but you are tarring us all with the same brush, and that is just not fair.
    Your JB is funded by your PRSI but if you are in receipt of a dole payment then sorry my friend it's a present from the Government to you ;)

BizTalker wrote: »
    Your JB is funded by your PRSI but if you are in receipt of a dole payment then sorry my friend it's a present from the Government to you ;)

The PRSI I paid in 2007 is what is paying for my Job Seekers Benefit right now, that's what it is there for.
    Present from the Government? When does this sham of a government we have give anything to anyone besides grief? ;)

edit: I think we all use 'dole' as a blanket statement for any kind of benefits. Just for the record, the benefits I got was just Job Seekers Benefit, which is paying for by the PRSI I paid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

The PRSI I paid in 2007 is what is paying for my Job Seekers Benefit right now, that's what it is there for.
    Present from the Government? When does this sham of a government we have give anything to anyone besides grief? ;)

edit: I think we all use 'dole' as a blanket statement for any kind of benefits. Just for the record, the benefits I got was just Job Seekers Benefit, which is paying for by the PRSI I paid. :)
    I shall hereby agree with you that this Government is the worst nightmare of all times. I am getting furious myself by the thought that the next budget will bring even more pain to each and every one of us living in this Country. Even crime rate is getting higher, thanks to the "Big Heads" up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 An Taoiseach BC

Dear boards.ie users.
    I hope I may clarify a few things mentioned in this topic.
    If your are made un-employed and have at least 39 PRSI contributions made, you may sign on to Jobseekers Benefit.
    This payment is not means tested and currently stands at roughly €204 p/w. You can recieve this for a limited time only, if your PRSI contributions have been used up and you wish to continue recieving payment you must then apply for Jobseekers allowance.
    This is a means tested payment. A 20 year old, living with parents, with one parent working earning 50k p/a will be in reciept of roughly 50 p/w.
    The payment for Jobseekers Allowance will be increased if the client has less means i.e. Both parents on Jobseekers Allowance or a similar social welfare payment.
    I hope this clarifies some mis-information.
    The current rates are certainly being reviewed by the government at this time to create a fairer system which will be of far more benefit to those with less means or from economicaly or socialy disadvantaged backgrounds.
    Is mise le meas,
    Brian Cowen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The current rates are certainly being reviewed by the government at this time to create a fairer system which will be of far more benefit to those with less means or from economicaly or socialy disadvantaged backgrounds.

Enough of this disadvantaged backgrounds crap, we are not products of our environment.
    Everyone gets a free eduction, well free apart from books and uniforms but there used to be grants for some of this.
    Actually the uniform probably saves parents money and there is less peer pressure for the latest clothes and gear
    In the Leaving Cert points system you are a number, get the points and you'll your desired course.

If I ever go on the dole the PRSI I paid over the last few years will pay for me. I scrounge off noone, that money is there for me if my employer lets me go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

mikemac wrote: »
    Enough of this disadvantaged backgrounds crap, we are not products of our environment.
    Everyone gets a free eduction, well free apart from books and uniforms but there used to be grants for some of this.
    Actually the uniform probably saves parents money and there is less peer pressure for the latest clothes and gear
    In the Leaving Cert points system you are a number, get the points and you'll your desired course.

If I ever go on the dole the PRSI I paid over the last few years will pay for me. I scrounge off noone, that money is there for me if my employer lets me go.

So why is Job seekers allowance the same rate for people above a certain age?
    The person who paid tax for years get the same rate as someone who never worked a day in their lives?
    I want to hear some bleeding heart defend that.

"Enough of this disadvantaged background crap" "We are not products of our environment" How charming.

I hate rich kids who come out with unbelievable crap like 'the poor are lazy and must deserve to be poor'.

Due to my parents divorcing, my dad fecking off to England and refusing to pay any maintenence for our upkeep, we were poor. Through no fault of my own, or my mums.

Seeing as we were never rich during the Celtic Tiger, and I watched plenty of Daddys little princes and princesses swanning around with their nose in their air, I have no pity for any of them now.

Free education - you're having a laugh right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm far from rich.
    A holiday for me was a day out in Salthill park in Galway. Now who remembers that :P

And I did mention all the extra expenses that are involved in education and the grants and I'm aware that were cut/abolished this year.

Where did I post
    'the poor are lazy and must deserve to be poor'.

Take your issues about your childhood to Personal Issues forum, it's.............>that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

In fairness people are forgeting the bleedin' obvious.

People have rights. People have the right to a bleedin' job IMO!

If this was forties europe those bank dudes and politicians would be swinging from trees now, instead of lookin' for dough off us. **** the dole, I want those dudes responsible to cough it up and gimme a bleedin' job. Now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

professore wrote: »
    The kind of people that are all high and mighty about the dole are also the same ones who have dad standing behind them with a big wallet if they can't find a job.QUOTE]

Your just been silly now, it sickens me to know that their are still SOME people out their that can't be bothered to look for a job while so many of us with full time jobs are killing ourselves trying to survive. Simply put the country it too fecked up now to afford to pay such a riddiculously high amount of money to people for doing absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Enough of this disadvantaged background crap" "We are not products of our environment" How charming.

I hate rich kids who come out with unbelievable crap like 'the poor are lazy and must deserve to be poor'.

There's far more to being disadvantaged than simply being from a lower socioeconomic class. I've seen first hand how social programs based on this preconception can encourage laziness.

One example is the UCC Access program which is offered to students from schools in disadvantaged areas like the one I went to. The idea is noble, you give kids who might not otherwise have had a chance at college a go. Instead of needing points to get in, you write the admissions office a letter saying how you had it tough. The only result I saw from this was students who would have gotten the points anyway, sitting it out for the year and coasting in on 200-300 points when some of them were well capable of 500+. I was one of only 3 people in my school to get more than 400 points the year it was introduced, when in previous years the number was 20+. One of my friends who got in on 240 points despite being highly intelligent and coming from a good family is now a top earner in Google. To an external assessor, this may seem like someone who was given a chance in life they wouldn't otherwise have had. In reality, he would have gotten into college anyway, he just didn't apply himself because he didn't have to.

In addition to all that, I don't know of one kid the program helped who came from a genuinely disadvantage background: broken home, alcoholic and drug addict parents, parents who simply didn't value education, all that jazz. It just enabled laziness in those who came a good background but were able to manipulate bleeding hearts with essays about having only one holiday in England a year and the like.

That's not to say that some efforts don't work. The money pumped into the school through facilities, teaching staff and pastoral care staff gave us the opportunities and start in life that the "rich kids" could only dream of. But in my opinion, the system only worked when we were told we had to work and study hard to get where we wanted. Once the system told us "no you don't have to work or study, we'll look after you", that's when the system failed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mikemac wrote: »

So why is Job seekers allowance the same rate for people above a certain age?
    The person who paid tax for years get the same rate as someone who never worked a day in their lives?
    I want to hear some bleeding heart defend that.

JSA in some circumstances is not the same rate as JSB,its means tested,its there so if people who lose there jobs and dont have enough prsi contributions they apply for this and depending on there circumstances they may or may not get the full amount and just because someone is on JSA does not mean they have not worked a day in there life,like I already mentioned they may not have paid enough prsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

In relation to the OP,

I do not think the dole is too much. I was let go at Christmas and did not receive my JB until April. 200e does not cover my outgoings, savings and money to actually live.

I have busted my ass looking for a job and have only found one for one day per week paid monthly meaning my JB is cut to 170e per week. There are honest people in receipt of JB or JA at this point and the money is not sufficient to lice especially since the cost of living is so high in this Country.

Remeber, a lot of us in this situation are coming from full time wages down to pittens so enlighten me as to how the dole is too high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭feb09

So apparently the dole should be enough so people can afford a car.
    It already covers peoples rent, food and living expenses.
    Anything else ?
    How about a holiday ? Some good deals on budget travel at the moment.
    Or would people like to go somewhere a bit nicer ?

feb09 wrote: »
    So apparently the dole should be enough so people can afford a car.
    It already covers peoples rent, food and living expenses.
    Anything else ?
    How about a holiday ? Some good deals on budget travel at the moment.
    Or would people like to go somewhere a bit nicer ?

Oh you're so right oh wise one.
    Clearly, we should all sell our cars, move out of our apartments into crack dens, and start wearing potato sacks, as god forbid we should have ANY quality of life.
    I mean, it's just not enough that we are scrimping and saving and working our butts off trying to get a job. We should be humiliated too!
    Yes, it's our fault the economy turned, and we should be punished. :rolleyes:

Who the hell are you to decide what we are entitled to? I paid THOUSANDS in PRSI over the years. I am entitled to 204 a week.

You think we are out there buying new cars and going on holidays? Man, are you delusional!
    204 a week, is roughly 816 a month.
    -500 rent
    -60 bills
    -70 food
    =186 a month for everything else. If I chose to spend some of that on petrol for my car, who the hell are you to judge?
    You think I am swanning off living the life of riley on 186 a month? You try it!

I really hope the high and mighty in here find themselves in the same position many of us are in some day, and I hope they eat their words.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I can't believe this thread is still going.

I'm going to sign on tomorrow and take all your money. Yes. You. I'm talking about you. I'm going to take your money.
    Wanna do something about it? huh? Come on. Do something about it. Bring it on, bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭feb09

Clearly, we should all sell our cars, move out of our apartments into crack dens, and start wearing potato sacks,

Yes, of course you should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Tell you all a story, I can remember people I worked with jacking in their jobs so they could go to Spain for summer. Back in the 90's. Gettin' fukked on 'e' and partying till dawn.

Try that on two hundred quid now people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Oh you're so right oh wise one.
    Clearly, we should all sell our cars, move out of our apartments into crack dens, and start wearing potato sacks, as god forbid we should have ANY quality of life.
    I mean, it's just not enough that we are scrimping and saving and working our butts off trying to get a job. We should be humiliated too!
    Yes, it's our fault the economy turned, and we should be punished. :rolleyes:

Who the hell are you to decide what we are entitled to? I paid THOUSANDS in PRSI over the years. I am entitled to 204 a week.

You think we are out there buying new cars and going on holidays? Man, are you delusional!
    204 a week, is roughly 816 a month.
    -500 rent
    -60 bills
    -70 food
    =186 a month for everything else. If I chose to spend some of that on petrol for my car, who the hell are you to judge?
    You think I am swanning off living the life of riley on 186 a month? You try it!

I really hope the high and mighty in here find themselves in the same position many of us are in some day, and I hope they eat their words.

500 for rent seems like a lot,Down here in cork sharing a apartment with 1 other person id say you could get a nice one for around 400..then with 3 ppl sharing you could pay even less than that..

On a side not is it true that petrol prices could be going up by 35:eek:c..saw it on the front of the daily mail today..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

most of these dolies think they should get 40K a year for scratching their balls on a building site watching the polish lad do all the work!

no wonder they can't find a job most of them cannot read o:eek:

most of these dolies think they should get 40K a year for scratching their balls on a building site watching the polish lad do all the work!

excuse me??? I have a Degree and have only been able to find work one day per week. I don't think I should get 40k per annum but I have gone from 30k to 9k per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What are you on about? sounds like total crap to me. A lot of people have degrees and are on the dole. It is called a recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I do not think the dole is too much. I was let go at Christmas and did not receive my JB until April. 200e does not cover my outgoings, savings and money to actually live.

I've posted a few things here in support of people on the dole and on tight budgets BUT surely you don't expect to be able to save on the dole? I work and can't afford to save:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

I went down an got yere money again today lads, oh yea actually its my own money since im paid up since what 1999. Might book flights to new york now;) Na might just drive around in me car that Im paying for too. lol some begrudging bastids going nowadays. As for saving on the dole I couldnt even save when I had a job so not much hope now.

sunnyside wrote: »
    I've posted a few things here in support of people on the dole and on tight budgets BUT surely you don't expect to be able to save on the dole? I work and can't afford to save:(

I do try and save 10-15e per week if I can. I'd like to have something set aside incase the sh*t hits the fan in the budget re: social welfare cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Or unexpected expenses like health.

Should people on the dole not be allowed to buy Lemsip or pain killers or get fillings or other dental treatments?

thebman wrote: »

Should people on the dole not be allowed to buy Lemsip or pain killers or get fillings or other dental treatments?

tu shay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

thebman wrote: »

Im in agony with 3 months anytime I drink alcohol, not too often but Im pretty sure I could do with getting it looked at, but I cant afford the doctor. I had the flu a few weeks back and could barely afford uniflu.

• Advertisement

Im in agony with 3 months anytime I drink alcohol, not too often but Im pretty sure I could do with getting it looked at, but I cant afford the doctor. I had the flu a few weeks back and could barely afford uniflu.

have you applied for a medical card? I know there is a long waiting list (They are only sorting through Applications sent in May last now) but I think if you pay for treatment and then get a medical card....I think....I think you can get that money refunded to you.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong here

Advertisement