Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

does anyone know a good site for online petitions, was looking to start one to have gerry sacked by the RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

does anyone know a good site for online petitions, was looking to start one to have gerry sacked by the RTE

why bother. the only way he'll be axed is if people stop listening to the show. your problem is not with RTE but with his considerable audience. i haven't listened to him in 12 years or more and therefore I don't get wound up by him. it's not like there's nothing else to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

I have yet to hear of anyone who's actually acted on an online petition they've received. General consensus is that they're about as useful for achieving a goal as writing your complaint on your willy and waving it out the window of a moving car. (which, unless your goal is "arrest me" or "take me to a psych ward please" is not very useful at all.)

In this case, (The removal of "G" Ryan from the airwaves) I reckon that Rté will pay less attention to a petition (which eventually would inevitably be signed by such luminaries as Batman, Mahatma Gandhi, Homer J Simpson and Pat Kenny, who would add comments such as "U R a tul. Fck off fat Bstrd" to fill the bits of the petition where the aggrieved are supposed to plead their reasoning for change.) than they do to their standard complaints procedure.

Write them a letter. Tell them you've stopped listening and tell them why. Tell them that you know that company a, b or c advertise with them , and you've informed them of your decision also. Organise your like-minded friends to do the same in their own words. But whatever you do, Dont use some crappy off the shelf lazy cheap-nasty-template-petitions.com thing . It'll have no effect whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jimmytwoflutes

I think it will be a long way away before GR loses his gig. Does he still get the free car every year? I remember a few years back some big thing in the tabloids about gerry and his new Xedos 6.

Write them a letter. Tell them you've stopped listening and tell them why. Tell them that you know that company a, b or c advertise with them , and you've informed them of your decision also. Organise your like-minded friends to do the same in their own words. But whatever you do, Dont use some crappy off the shelf lazy cheap-nasty-template-petitions.com thing . It'll have no effect whatsoever.

I'll save you the paper, the stamp and the two week wait...
    "RTE thanks you for your recent letter. We take comments and criticisms on board blah blah blah. The Gerry Ryan show is one of our most popular shows."
    What do you expect? "RTE thanks you for your letter. On reflection Gerry is a bit of a gob****e and despite the fact that half the country's listening we're bowing to your superior taste and pulling the show from next Monday. Please send us an outline of who we should replace him with - for the moment we'll be going with the most common suggestion from critics of the show which has been 'ANYONE but Gerry' "

• Advertisement

Well, you aren't actually saving me anything, I'm not really a 2fm listener, so I couldn't give a tuppenny damn who mans the pretentious desk between 9 and 12. I was just stating that for anyone who was sufficiently angried up in the blood to complain, the letter option was more professional than the online petition option, but I get your drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Gerry Ryan is dull. That is all that needs to be said

Well, you aren't actually saving me anything, I'm not really a 2fm listener, so I couldn't give a tuppenny damn who mans the pretentious desk between 9 and 12. I was just stating that for anyone who was sufficiently angried up in the blood to complain, the letter option was more professional than the online petition option, but I get your drift.

yeah, that was directed at the would-be petitioner even though I quoted you. basically it's simpler and healthier to listen any of the thousands of other radio shows out there than to wind yourself up day after day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sorry to tell you, given your seemed aversion to the man;) but he is currently on TV with operation transformation.
    Considering the show is all about losing weight...irony much?

Considering the show is all about losing weight...irony much?

Maybe last year, when the show ran first, and everyone else in the country made G Ryan / losing weight jokes.

Now? public domain, so, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Emigrated to England in 1987, hated him then, returned to Ireland in 2002, have never listened to his programme since, except when the radio in shops were tuned in, as bad now as then. GHASTLY MAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Send loads of text messages to the Gerry Ryan show to get the hypochondriac off the radio as he is making you sick that he needs a good pay cut....more than 10%....

Do that and Mystic Leaderbored can predict the headlines in the star :

"Gerry Ryan show 'most popular show' on radio"
    "record number" of audience texts received - Rte "Amazed & Delighted" by figures.
    Ryan to get pay rise as reward.

The mobile operators would love you for it, though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I quite sure, he has got stacks of abusive emails and texts over the past week and has ignored them. Gerry is just going to brazen it out utterly shamelessly. The only hope, is him taking a big hit in the next lot of listenership fiquires. But I won't be holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Kick Gerry Ryan out and replace him every morning with Eamon Dunphy and a bottle of Jameson.
    Now that would be worth listening to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Do that and Mystic Leaderbored can predict the headlines in the star :

"Gerry Ryan show 'most popular show' on radio"
    "record number" of audience texts received - Rte "Amazed & Delighted" by figures.
    Ryan to get pay rise as reward.

The mobile operators would love you for it, though.:D

lol, you have it all sussed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Kick Gerry Ryan out and replace him every morning with Eamon Dunphy and a bottle of Jameson.
    Now that would be worth listening to...
    What a great idea. I'd say if you gave gerry ryan an after eight mint he would explode just like that guy mr.creosote in the monty python film 'the meaning of life'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

On a plus side, if Gerry was fired he's have more time to concentrate on his TV career.
    God, I'd kill to get to see more 'Ryan Confidential'.

The sight of a middle aged (plus a bit), overweight bloke with a bad dye job conversing while stuffing his face is enough to make me question my sexuality...

If you've never heard the Gift Grub - 'Ryan Confidential' check it out.

http://ie.7digital.com/artists/mario-rosenstock/gift-grub-4/

It's class...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Gerry was speaking about Chris Brown's (alledged) beating of Rhianna on air this morning, blaming it on his upbringing (young black male of disadvantaged background) an they let on a chap to speak about it, not sure how he made it on air, but he ripped the arse out of Gerry. His point was that there are plenty of people brought up in black disadvantaged backgrounds who don't grow up women beaters, so Gerry says "thats my point" and the guy says "No ,actually, your point was exactly the opposite" and proceeded to lecture G.Ryan on the finer points of growing up in a house with an abusive stepfather and brother. You could hear the rage in Ryan's voice as he tried to keep it together and not shout out "F OFF" to this guy. So then he tried to move the conversation away from this, but the caller would not let it go.....excellent stuff!

Perhaps a boards reader? Of this very thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

Gerry says "thats my point" and the guy says "No ,actually, your point was exactly the opposite" and proceeded to lecture G.Ryan on the finer points of growing up in a house with an abusive stepfather and brother. You could hear the rage in Ryan's voice as he tried to keep it together and not shout out "F OFF" to this guy. So then he tried to move the conversation away from this, but the caller would not let it go.....excellent stuff!

I don't think you could hear any rage in Ryan's voice at all, in fact I think he handled it very well, he explained exactly what his point was to the caller and and the caller then chatted away for a few minutes.

I was surprised Gerry didn't freak out at first, perhaps he's not as bad as some people think.

• Advertisement

Sorry I don't agree, Gerry was angry, no question. He can't take it when listeners point out his mistakes. And the only reason that he had a civil conversation towards the end of the piece was when they both agreed that that b*****d, who raped that girl and was sentanced yesterday after two previous sexual convictions, should have been dealt with in a much more severe manner. The caller said that his little daughter gave him a reason to kill someone for, and Gerry then mentioned that it was ok in some circumstances to carry a gun if the situation merited it

Gerry Ryan as polarising as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Gerry was speaking about Chris Brown's (alledged) beating of Rhianna on air this morning, blaming it on his upbringing (young black male of disadvantaged background) an they let on a chap to speak about it, not sure how he made it on air, but he ripped the arse out of Gerry. His point was that there are plenty of people brought up in black disadvantaged backgrounds who don't grow up women beaters, so Gerry says "thats my point" and the guy says "No ,actually, your point was exactly the opposite" and proceeded to lecture G.Ryan on the finer points of growing up in a house with an abusive stepfather and brother. You could hear the rage in Ryan's voice as he tried to keep it together and not shout out "F OFF" to this guy. So then he tried to move the conversation away from this, but the caller would not let it go.....excellent stuff!

Perhaps a boards reader? Of this very thread?

Heard that.. geezer would not back down and GR had to backtrack in my opinion.

Is it true he has his daughter working in there with him??

He mentioned she was in there today, probably on a €250,000 contract to prevent the competition snapping her up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

late entre to the thread with a quick question:(

Does anyone else think gerry ryan has become increasingly more obnoxious with his attitude about things. If so ,is this his personality ageing and is he going to get worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Am I after causing this thread to enter the nothingness ?
    Sorry:o

I would'nt worry about it - the radio forum is like that. It moves slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

He mentioned she was in there today, probably on a €250,000 contract to prevent the competition snapping her up!

I hope you are not suggesting nepotism in RTE. :eek: Couldn't happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ok maybe now is a quite time ...........and ideal for 3 consecutive 'good comments' about gerry ryan.....

no sarcastic comments please.......

i'll start again

1. thanks gerry love the show. hey, hey......thats 1 just 2 to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

ok maybe now is a quite time ...........and ideal for 3 consecutive 'good comments' about gerry ryan.....

no sarcastic comments please.......

i'll start again

1. thanks gerry love the show. hey, hey......thats 1 just 2 to go.

Aw, come on! Give us a break. Google isn't that good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement