Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Quint wrote: »
    Can he go 2 minutes without mentioning either a trip to New York, Fitzpatricks Hotel, Harry Crosby and the O2 or Disneyworld?

you forgot to mention the front-row seats for him & kids at concerts with Louis Walsh etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bard wrote: »
    Yeah, and you'd potentially lose over half a million listeners in that time slot in one fell swoop.

Bet RTÉ are kicking themselves that it's not one of you guys at the 2fm helm!

Well considering his figures bob about the 340,000 are we going into some sort of listnership as anti-matter?
    Without doubt RTE would lose a major talent and a LOT of listners, it wouldn't be in that region.

I bet RTE are kicking themselves you don't work with JLR.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Whats with all the Gerry Ryan bashing? Is he really that bad?

Have any of the people slating him even listen to his show?

He must be doing something right as he has been going for years and imo he can go for another few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Marty in the morning. Rick and Ruth. Tim Kelly on the Blast. Alan Short. And many many more.

Also, the short term holiday replacement of "g" ryan with presenters such as Jenny Huston & Dave Fanning has proved unpopular with the public, leading them to voice their displeasure on the interweb and elsewhere, but no official poll figures are available to prove a drop in listenership.

Yes, they lost listeners but not dramatically . I just think its myth, mainly perpetuated by the man himself, that only Gerry can pull in that amount of listerners and revenue. Hence justifying his huge salary.

Advertisers don't care who the presenter is ,they care about whose listening - how many, do they match the deomgraphic of their customers and do they have a large disposable income . If another presenter came in and matched or improved his audience so be it. Gerry isn't as vital as he thinks he is. Nobody is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Whats with all the Gerry Ryan bashing? Is he really that bad?

Have any of the people slating him even listen to his show?

He must be doing something right as he has been going for years and imo he can go for another few years.

Ahem, nobody is saying that he is not good at his job-he is very good.

But he doesn't deserve a circa 600k salary for what he does.

That's the point people are making.

Would you ever actually try to understand the posts here?

• Advertisement

That's the point people are making.

Well in fairness I think that there's 3 positions being taken.

Those that think he's good/ok.
    Those that VERY LOUDLY hate him.
    And yours Flutt. It's a valid point too.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

No one has mentioned what he earns so far except you.
    That's the point people are making

OP's point was about Gerry bragging about his holiday and it went on from there. The first mention about salary was post number 35.

Maybe you should read the posts so you will understand them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Maybe I should.

mea culpa.

I was just making a general point.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

one post should have been how fats gerrys chin in 2009 :D

lol all this just to start an argument about gerry ryans something:P

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

how about gerry ryans belly!!!:o

• Advertisement

I was just making a general point.

It's a good point too. That's gotta hurt the wigs in Montrose at present. All the big name's salaries went boom boom in the last 10 years and now the dosh simply isn't rolling in. Interesting days ahead. Events dear boy and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Looks like things didn't go as well as planned on the TV either.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0108/bcc.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Loads of typos in that report.

What do RTÉ care about an upheld complaint? They don't give a toss. They will continue to book that looser Tiernan regardless.

It might be a different matter if RTÉ was fined for each upheld complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Loads of typos in that report.

Yup, I'm sure the BBC will be surprised that they had an opinion on the matter! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

I'm saying he's not. He's an up-his-own-arse, self important ****, who has gone way past his sell-by date.

Put him out to pasture so he can talk about his cock to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

humberklog wrote: »
    Well considering his figures bob about the 340,000 are we going into some sort of listnership as anti-matter?
    Without doubt RTE would lose a major talent and a LOT of listners, it wouldn't be in that region.

I bet RTE are kicking themselves you don't work with JLR.

Oh no, I got the figures wrong... That actually doesn't really matter in the long run as my point was a potential substantial loss of listenership.

I bet the International Society of Pedants are kicking themselves that... oh nevermind :P

Bard wrote: »
    Oh no, I got the figures wrong... That actually doesn't really matter in the long run as my point was a potential substantial loss of listenership.

I bet the International Society of Pedants are kicking themselves that... oh nevermind :P

In fairness there's wrong and there's way off the map.
    There's hyperbole and reasoned discussion.

I think its as I would agree with your point in general that i felt the numbers should be closer to the right ball park or else the point you were making was lost.

I bet the International Society of Pedants are delighted to renew your annual subscription.

I gave him pride of place today and didn't nobble the dial at all. Very entertaining show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I guess what I find strange about his show is......he's getting away with it! But it's either him, Tubridy(God give me strength), D'Arcy (Bang, Bang!) or Tom Dunne (who is very funny and smart but has terrible material on his show).
    So I surf the channels.
    But I can predict what will be on Gerry's show Monday.
    Lets all read the papers for 35 mins and I will point out some funny anecdotes.
    Then we will either talk about the 02 venue/ Slane / U2 / Disneyworld / Mrs Ryan / His kid whos in the band / or some other freebie he's got

That will take him to 11. Then he can have some crazy woman on ranting about how it was better in the old days, and Gerry can tell us all how he was there in the trenchs with the rest of us.
    Then he can talk about his car he imported himself.
    That's 11:30 now, lets play a song. Then we can have someone from RTE in to talk about a show or book they are doing...hey its hometime! See you all tomorrow!

He lost his edge about 10 years ago. Time to put him out to pasture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/jan/11/book-buyers-find-ryan-a-big-turn-off/

book-buyers-find-ryan-a-big-turn-off

only sold 10,00 but they say o'garas book sold 20 so its half but it doesn't sound that bad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Soodlebum

If you think hes a pratton the radio, you should see him in action live. I won a brilliant prize on his show - involving a trip to Paris. It was yonks ago, and him and Brenda Donoghue were Un.Believable. If there was a microphone under their nose, they were everybodys best mate. When the mike was gone - so was the bonhomie!!! Opened my eyes!!...Still, it was a fantastic trip!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

The thing that gets me is his delay / slow speech as he tries to pick big words to put in sentences to try sound clever. Does it annoy anyone else?

The second I hear him I turn the dial. If its not my radio I leave that room / business straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

As I do with all threads on here involving G Ryan, I'm gonna say that I for one, like listening to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

He's an up-his-own-arse, self important ****, who has gone way past his sell-by date.

Put him out to pasture so he can talk about his cock to someone else.

+1. Filthy old toss

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

anyone know where the elephant in the room is? he was missing last monday and now he off the air yesterday and today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

You don't realise how good gerry actually is until yer wan takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Quint wrote: »
    You don't realise how good gerry actually is until yer wan takes over.
    If something is worse than rubbish, does that make rubbish any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

bmaxi wrote: »
    If something is worse than rubbish, does that make rubbish any better?
    Completely agree.
    Just because Ryan's cheerleader (for that is all she is) is dreadful, doesn't make him "good".
    I honestly think that he insists that she fills in for him when he's away, in case an alternative presenter goes down well with the public!

I assume your talking about Jenny Houston. She, aswell as the other regular Ryan standin Dave Fanning, has the same agent as Gerry i.e. Neol Kelly. "Keeping it in the family" I think its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I hope people are not trying to imply that there exists a quasi Neopolitan culture inside RTE? Where having some distant relationship/ went to same school/ have same agent/ slept with someone could possibly affect the quality of the replacement on any show?

Its pistols at dawn if you don't withdraw that remark immediately!

Or maybe we can race a couple of elephants around montrose?? According to Gerry theres one in every room over there.

• Advertisement

Pistols at dawn it is then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement