Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

serfboard wrote: »
    Was sharing a house one time with some German students (a fella and two girls). Yer man was a real meano, always going on about bargains etc.

Anyway, we had a kitty system going which was grand. Over Easter, with people being away, the kitty kind of lapsed. I came down into the kitchen one morning and made meself a cup of tea.

Next thing yer man says to me - "Now, we have a problem, you know, because I paid for this tea" :eek:

I was so shocked it took me a while to compose meself and say "that's grand - when the others come back we'll settle up with you for that".

Friend of mine says to me later that I should have said to him "OK - how much do you want for the one tea bag that I used?"

Only thing is the fcuker would probably have come up with a figure!

You should have given it back to him to re-use, which I'm sure he would have done if he is that tight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

My neighbours sold their house and a couple of days later the woman comes back and demands €200 for the oil in the tank.
    The same woman used to go out for drinks with my mam but she would NEVER get the first round. Because they both drank vodka and coke and only use half the coke, so the second round was just 2 vodkas.

I hate people that think they don't need to buy certain things because they can just borrow them. A drill is a common one. One neighbour used to borrow our hoover! Lawn mower too. Buy your own ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Ignoring that it's illegal to freewheel
    Surely not - nothing specifically illegal about that.
    He must be driving a very old car as he would have no steering or brakes when the engine is turned off.
    If the engine electrics are on, then he'd certainly have power steering at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Paparazzo wrote: »
    My neighbours sold their house and a couple of days later the woman comes back and demands €200 for the oil in the tank.
    The same woman used to go out for drinks with my mam but she would NEVER get the first round. Because they both drank vodka and coke and only use half the coke, so the second round was just 2 vodkas.

Why wouldn't your mam buy 2 vodkas 1 coke for the first round?

Then the next round would be the same for the above woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If the engine electrics are on, then he'd certainly have power steering at least.

If a car has power steering or servo brakes, they only work if the engine is running. (Servo brakes would work for a short while after cutting engine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If a car has power steering or servo brakes, they only work if the engine is running. (Servo brakes would work for a short while after cutting engine)

Not true for me. As soon as I turn on the electrics of my engine, the power steering is available and kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Garage in Tullamore, one day getting petrol, cigs and a gas tank, almost €80, I gave notes and change, proceeded to walk out when i heard this loud roar followed by the owner running after me. After making a complete gob****e of himself he claimed i left him short 2 cent, yes two cent, apparently i went of 2 cent on the petrol pump.

I gave him a look from hell, took out a €50 Note and said take it out of that, much to the amusement of at least five customers.

Since then, i stop occasionally, make sure the ****er can see me, fill my tyres with Air and **** off, no doubt he will start charging for air soon.

So you spent about €65 on petrol, on which he made about 100 cents, and fags which he gets virtually none of also. The only thing he made the slightest profit on was the gas tank. Sure its only 2c, but if he left every customer off a couple of cents its eating into his profits. Any other business, absolutely let a couple of cents slide, but not in a petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

I know a guy, who upon finishing a bag a chips, once tore off the the end of the bag, puts it in his mouth and sucks as much of the remaining salt and vinegar out of the paper folds. He sucks it around his mouth for the best part of a minute, then spits out the soggy clump to the ground.

Horrified/intrigued, I ask him what he just did.

'I'm just getting my moneys worth', he explains.

He was maybe 15% joking, 85% being serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Adhamh wrote: »
    I know a guy, who upon finishing a bag a chips, once tore off the the end of the bag, puts it in his mouth and sucks as much of the remaining salt and vinegar out of the paper folds. He sucks it around his mouth for the best part of a minute, then spits out the soggy clump to the ground.

Horrified/intrigued, I ask him what he just did.

'I'm just getting my moneys worth', he explains.

He was maybe 15% joking, 85% being serious.

thats the best part of the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

So you spent about €65 on petrol, on which he made about 100 cents, and fags which he gets virtually none of also. The only thing he made the slightest profit on was the gas tank. Sure its only 2c, but if he left every customer off a couple of cents its eating into his profits. Any other business, absolutely let a couple of cents slide, but not in a petrol station.

The 2c is 0.00025% of the amount he spent!
    This isn't a matter of money, its a matter of convenience. Acting like the poster is the cause of petrol stations woes won't fly.
    At least thats ... my two cents :cool:

YEEEEAHHH!!!

• Advertisement

If you spent €20.02 on petrol, would you expect to be let off 2c? That accounts for 6% of the stations profit. The full amount you spend has little bearing on the profit made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

If you spent €20.02 on petrol, would you expect to be let off 2c? That accounts for 6% of the stations profit. The full amount you spend has little bearing on the profit made.

I have to say, very very rarely when I go 2 cents over on the diesel, do they bother to take it. I'm sure if I had a coin to give with the note they would but if I hand them a 50, they'll usually give me 30 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

A mate of mine back in school was the meanest man Ive ever met.....

Once, I borrowed a pen off him for 1 class cos mine leaked, I gave it back after class and thought no more about it. Next morning first thing he asked me for a spare pen, "no problem" i said, "you forget yours today?" No, he replied, you used a class worth of ink on me yesterday, I'm just getting it back!!!!

Some tightarse...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perhaps your missing my point.
    • Firstly i spent in total over €80 on this particular visit
    • Secondly, it was the garage owners reaction that surprised me and a number of customers who witnessed it, he was like a screaming Banshee & i might add the error was his.
    • Thirdly, the petrol part of the transaction was €20 and to be blunt, i give a **** about his profit margin on petrol particularly given the fact he more than makes up on sales on an extensive range of other products he sells.
    • Fourthly, i had been a regular and loyal customer for many years and his behavior was disgraceful.
    Have things got so bad in Ireland, people are getting their Knickers in a twist over 2c, incidentally, Oil has been at record lows for the past few months and yet this has not reflected on the outrageous prices being charged at the pumps.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I used to work at a petrol station for years when I was younger. I remember on one of my first days, I was in a similar position at the till and wasn't sure what the right thing to do was, so I simply asked for the full amount. My boss was there at the time and had a good laugh about it and said that it was OK to let people off if they went over. Not everybody goes over and of the ones that do, some will buy other stuff with it, which means you'll get the full amount. 6% off your profits on one transaction is relatively small and it certainly wouldn't be that high over the entire day!

Perhaps your missing my point.
    • Firstly i spent in total over €80 on this particular visit
    • Secondly, it was the garage owners reaction that surprised me and a number of customers who witnessed it, he was like a screaming Banshee & i might add the error was his.
    • Thirdly, the petrol part of the transaction was €20 and to be blunt, i give a **** about his profit margin on petrol particularly given the fact he more than makes up on sales on an extensive range of other products he sells.
    • Fourthly, i had been a regular and loyal customer for many years and his behavior was disgraceful.
    Have things got so bad in Ireland, people are getting their Knickers in a twist over 2c, incidentally, Oil has been at record lows for the past few months and yet this has not reflected on the outrageous prices being charged at the pumps.

The price of oil has little bearing on the price of petrol in Europe, but I get what you're saying, pretty bad form from the owner. I wasn't looking for an argument just so you know, asking for cents is pretty scabby but it's to be expected in a petrol station in my opinion. Maybe he was having a bad day!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Um, record lows? Crude Oil $84.73/barrel from http://www.oil-price.net/ Now look at the graph. http://www.mongabay.com/images/commodities/charts/crude_oil.html

And those are dollar prices - the euros has fallen against the dollar. http://blogs.marketwatch.com/fundmastery/2009/11/23/how-far-has-the-dollar-fallen-and-why/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Victor wrote: »
    Um, record lows? Crude Oil $84.73/barrel from http://www.oil-price.net/ Now look at the graph. http://www.mongabay.com/images/commodities/charts/crude_oil.html

And those are dollar prices - the euros has fallen against the dollar. http://blogs.marketwatch.com/fundmastery/2009/11/23/how-far-has-the-dollar-fallen-and-why/

Crude oil prices were almost twice this in 2008/9!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I worked in a Juice Bar in Ranelagh some years back and the owner / manager guy told me to wash out the straws and re-use them!

If memory serves me correctly, I think my response was 'Get ****ed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

dafunk wrote: »
    I worked in a Juice Bar in Ranelagh some years back and the owner / manager guy told me to wash out the straws and re-use them!

He might've wanted to keep you busy at the same time...doubly scabby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Why wouldn't your mam buy 2 vodkas 1 coke for the first round?

Then the next round would be the same for the above woman.

I'm guessing they only used a quarter of the bottle each with each vodka, so there was still half a bottle of coke left which did them for the second round of vodkas.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

dafunk wrote: »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I used to be a regular there. The thought of using a straw someone had previously used is making me sick.

Edit - assuming it's the same one. Actually, don't tell me, I don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I used to be a regular there. The thought of using a straw someone had previously used is making me sick.

Edit - assuming it's the same one. Actually, don't tell me, I don't want to know.

You've probably swallowed spiders in your sleep too. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

My great uncle (from Cavan) used to drink in the pub i worked in at the time - he would always order one pint of smithwicks and then keep getting it topped up :O Oh and he'd never buy a round. He visits my nan every Christmas, stays with her for a couple of weeks and brings her a half bottle of Jameson. Nothing wrong with that I hear you say... She doesnt drink whiskey - but he does! :mad: He's the meanest man i've ever met in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

listermint wrote: »
    You've probably swallowed spiders in your sleep too. :cool:

That spider-swallowing-in-your sleep rumour is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

SkidMark wrote: »
    I'm guessing they only used a quarter of the bottle each with each vodka, so there was still half a bottle of coke left which did them for the second round of vodkas.

Woman one - vodka & bottle of coke.
    Woman two - vodka & bottle of coke

( women where i work are picky, they dont share:rolleyes:)

half a bottle each left so when the next woman gets the drinks in she doesnt need to get coke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Donny5 wrote: »
    That spider-swallowing-in-your sleep rumour is bollocks.
    And bollocks relates to long winded sermons and isn't obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

No he wouldn't. Power steering is not run off electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

There's a old fella from home who is notorious for going to funerals of people he may barely know just to go the the free dinner or sandwiches. Every morning he goes through the death notices to see who is dead and then picks the ones he'l go too.

I remember at a relatives funeral a year a ago we invited ppl back to a nearby hotel for dinner and tea. He showed up and the hotel staff actually knew to put him by himself in the corner, serve him first as to get rid of him but when he finished the tea and biscuits, he sat there and asked for more biscuits. People just rolled their eyes at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I went over to a friend-of-a-friend's house once for a poker night. He had pizza for us before the game. I thought, that's nice, although I didn't eat any as I'd already eaten.

When we were about to play and handed over €20 each to him for the kitty, he said he wouldn't be paying in as he'd supplied the pizza! I wouldn't mind but I didn't eat/ want any!

And to top it off, I won, and at the end of the night I'd a few drinks on me and he tried to con me out of another €20, stingy f***er!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement