Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

snubbleste wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Pompey Magnus
    Lived with a chap who used make a bowl of cereal in the morning, eat up the cereal until all was eaten and there was just milk left, then use some of the leftover milk in the bowl for his tea/coffee
    That's not stingy, it's normal

I don't think it's stingy, I'd say thrifty.
    It's certainly not normal though, yuck cereal-flavoured milk in your tea. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Just thought of another one. Another friend-of-a-friend is very tight with his cash.

He holds off on visiting friends and relatives until the coldest part of winter, then spends his evenings going from house to house - availing of their heating, and not turning the heat on in his own house!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Colleague of parent's used to hate idea of his wife wasting money on tea while he was at work, so used to bring the plug and electrical cord with him to work and leave it locked in his car....

Also, went to school with a lad that would just turn up univited anytime there was a gang of us heading out for a pint. He'd order a pint for himself and make sure somebody around was drinking the same...drink his pint really fast until there was only a little left, place the glass down beside the other person's (relatively full one) and then proceed to pick up that person's drink, claiming he'd made a mistake and that he'd buy that person a drink back in the next round...which he never, ever did...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

No he wouldn't. Power steering is not run off electricity

As soon as I switch on my ignition (electrics only, no engine running), the power steering is immediately available to me. It's not possible to turn the wheel with the electrics off. I can turn it anyway with the electrics on.
    medici wrote: »
    Colleague of parent's used to hate idea of his wife wasting money on tea while he was at work, so used to bring the plug and electrical cord with him to work and leave it locked in his car....

Best one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Thats not your power steering. By turning on the ignition you've released the steering lock so its possible to actually turn the wheel. but the engine has to be running to actually drive the power steering pump. With the engine off you'll still have steering but it won't be power assisted. The brakes will also be less effective as there's no engine vacuum to feed the servo unit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭mojesius

I posted before about this student who rented a room in my mam's house, Stinky. Used to wear the same clothes every day and never showered.

Anyway, one night, he's on the train home from college and the train broke down at Broombridge. He decides not to wait for it to be fixed, gets off and hops in a taxi. He gets home, my mam's away and he asked my sister to be reimbursed for his taxi. She laughed and said no, he comes up to my room (now, I'm a 19 year old student at the time, same as him) and he asks me to give him the 15 quid. His logic was that he was told the train service was reliable before he moved in when actually, it wasn't. I asked him why he didn't wait for the train to get restarted and he told me he assumed we'd have no problem paying his cab!

I don't think he understood the concept of renting and behaved more like an exchange-student during his stay.

Once, my mam asked him if he wanted anything ordered from Dominos pizza, as we were all getting it, he ordered a large pizza and 2 sides for himself. Fair enough, but when it arrived and my mam asked him for the money, he laughed and said 'haha, you're very funny', took his food and left. She didn't have to provide his food. :confused:

Another time, I was coming home late and asked him to give the left-overs of the stew (2 days old) to the dogs for their dinner. I came home and there was dog food cans empty on the counter. I said 'oh, did you forget to give them the leftovers?' 'No, sure I ate it myself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thats not your power steering. By turning on the ignition you've released the steering lock so its possible to actually turn the wheel. but the engine has to be running to actually drive the power steering pump. With the engine off you'll still have steering but it won't be power assisted. The brakes will also be less effective as there's no engine vacuum to feed the servo unit

Some cars have power assisted steering which is essentially an electrical motor built into the steering rack to aid the turning of the wheel. Punto and Corsa are two cars that spring to mind that used such as a system.

Your point about the brake servo is of course correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What a catch;).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Friend of mine had a PS3 game, and scratched the disc. Went to Xtra vision, rented the same game for a few euro and returned the box with his scratched disc in it and the Xtra vision disc remained in his home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Why would he do that and waste petrol with the extra weight in the car? He could have just kept her locked in his underground dungeon........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Why would he do that and waste petrol with the extra weight in the car? He could have just kept her locked in his underground dungeon........:D

And waste money wearing down the lock!?

Apparently he didn't have room in the dungeon after he sent his toaster-using son and washing-up-liquid wasting daughter down there....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Friend of mine had a PS3 game, and scratched the disc. Went to Xtra vision, rented the same game for a few euro and returned the box with his scratched disc in it and the Xtra vision disc remained in his home.

Not sure how true it is, but a lad i used to work with says he used to rent a car with the same size tyres as his car, then swap them over.. car rental companies don't check tyre tread.. new rubber for the low low price of €35

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Thats not your power steering. By turning on the ignition you've released the steering lock so its possible to actually turn the wheel. but the engine has to be running to actually drive the power steering pump.
    It's not the steering lock being released. There is a huge difference between trying to turn the wheel (no steering lock, no electrics) and turning the wheel (no steering lock, with electrics on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Dempo1 wrote: »
    he claimed i left him short 2 cent, yes two cent, apparently i went of 2 cent on the petrol pump.

I know of a man who runs a hardware / bits and bobs in Cork.
    Builders, electricians and all sorts of local tradesmen are in there everyday, buying supplies, supporting the local business, and one of them was sent a bill for
    10c for a nail he apparently hadn't paid for :rolleyes:

When you're that stingy, all that happens is people take their business elsewhere and you end up missing out on much more than the coppers you bothered chasing after!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

ronan45 wrote: »
    My uncle, tight git, one time we were going up by sally gap so when he came to any hills on the downward slope he would turn off the engine and coast down. Any hill.... he would turn engine off and then kick it back in at the bottom.

Would he not waste more petrol by repeatedly turning the car on? I thought it took more petrol to ignite the engine than you would have used had the engine just been left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Would he not waste more petrol by repeatedly turning the car on? I thought it took more petrol to ignite the engine than you would have used had the engine just been left on.

No, I think it's something like 20 seconds of idling and it's wasting fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

One of my brothers got me a t-shirt for christmas last year in a size too small for me. "A sure I'll wear it so" is what he said.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My small department in work got a big box of sweets as a gift recently. So we decided to share them with another - larger - department who work closely with us. One of my colleagues agreed, reluctantly, to go next door to offer them around. He waited until it was lunchtime so only two people (out of 10+) were there to avail of the sweets, before bringing the box back to our department!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Aglomerado wrote: »
    My small department in work got a big box of sweets as a gift recently. So we decided to share them with another - larger - department who work closely with us. One of my colleagues agreed, reluctantly, to go next door to offer them around. He waited until it was lunchtime so only two people (out of 10+) were there to avail of the sweets, before bringing the box back to our department!

Maybe I'm missing something-or I'm just plain selfish myself-but I side with your colleague on this one. I'd have done the same.

Second thoughts I'd have waited till they all came back from their lunch and were ALL too full to want a sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Second thoughts I'd have waited till they all came back from their lunch and were ALL too full to want a sweet

You can never be too full for a sticky toffee penny. Or any other Rose or Qulaity street for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, an anti-stingy story first:
    I was waiting at bus stop one Saturday night and there was a couple there too. We were waiting for about 25 minutes, and no sign of a bus, so the couple flagged down a taxi, asked me where I was going and told me to get in, "Sure there are only two of us and four seats". So in I get. Turns out they're from Glasgow, and apparently people share taxis all the time in Glasgow. Had great craic going into Dublin city. When we got to where I was going, I offered them a tenner (more than half the fare), but they insisted on not taking it cos, "Sure we'd have had to pay that anyway". The idea that Scottish people are scabby is so wrong...

Best stingy story I heard (from another boardsie), was about a farmer from the wilds of Wicklow who'd died without apparently any serious money to his name, and a grieving widow. In his will he gave details of a private bank account and asked for the entire contents of the account to be buried with him in the coffin. €500,000 :eek:

(The wife wrote him a cheque for €500,000 and put it in the coffin :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

There's a couple I know who have a reputation for being mean. In their defence I've served them drinks a few times and they've usually given me a tip or bought me a drink, but some of the stories about them are quite unbelievable.

1) A friend of mine used to babysit for them for E7 a night. One night they only had a E10 note to pay her with. The next time she worked for them they only gave her E4. :o (This makes me cringe)

2) The man in the relationship once bragged to my father that to save money, when he bought rounds he didn't get himself a drink! He was actually proud of this. (They're fairly well off btw. I could forgive someone who was broke and reluctantly roped into buying rounds for doing this.)

3) A friend of mine who drives a taxi brought them home once, they said they had no cash and they'd go into the house to get some. They never came out. :eek: He just drove off rather than face the embarrassment of knocking at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Work in the hospital alongside nurses. A patient who was being discharged handed 4 boxes of sweets in as a thank you, 2 for the nurses and 2 for us.

What did the nurses do? Handed us 8 sweets on a napkin and locked the rest away in their store cupboard for them to scoff on their break :mad:

I wouldn't mind, but they get about on average 1 box a week ! Greedy fcuks

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I hate mean people.

Oh god I hate mean people. We had 2 relatives over from England for 5 days, not from my side or i'd clobber them hehe. Stayed in our comfy bed. I cooked brekky dins and waited on them like royals, Tea tea bikkies and more tea .-. fool i was and never again will they stay. We doing up the spare room i'll say every time so sorry piss off back to the B & B. They didnt treat us to a lowsy take away or meal out and never bought and small thing in appreciation before they left. Sure A bottle of wine, an apple pie which they enjoyed too and a brunch i got one day and rolos don't forgot them wooohooo oh they bought the food stuff for a currry one night and cooked that, it was lovely but what mean chancers there is in this world.
    Who ever said the more money they have the meaner they are, that's 100% true, this lot proved that and have plenty of money but you see them ALWAYS skimping and struggling to part with a few pounds. It must give them an anxiety attack each time. They booked the cheapest flight over and had to get up at 3 in the morning to save a few pounds more oh god i'd rather pay extra and get a good sleep before i travel. The bridge is burnt anyway. They saved 300 on b n b and another 100 on food you think they would be more kinder and show it better, They said they had a lovely time and thanked me loads but usless that is, lucky i got that i suppose. It's not in some peoples nature that's all. Before theY stayed and they were alot kinder took us for a chinese and bought me a gift and i din't look after them half as well :confused: A cheap holiday they got but the last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Dubchild wrote: »
    wall of text

Here, splash out on carriage returns, they're free! tight git ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I hate mean people.

Oh god I hate mean people. We had 2 relatives over from England for 5 days, not from my side or i'd clobber them hehe. Stayed in our comfy bed. I cooked brekky dins and waited on them like royals, Tea tea bikkies and more tea .-. fool i was and never again will they stay. We doing up the spare room i'll say every time so sorry piss off back to the B & B. They didnt treat us to a lowsy take away or meal out and never bought and small thing in appreciation before they left. Sure A bottle of wine, an apple pie which they enjoyed too and a brunch i got one day and rolos don't forgot them wooohooo oh they bought the food stuff for a currry one night and cooked that, it was lovely but what mean chancers there is in this world.
    Who ever said the more money they have the meaner they are, that's 100% true, this lot proved that and have plenty of money but you see them ALWAYS skimping and struggling to part with a few pounds. It must give them an anxiety attack each time. They booked the cheapest flight over and had to get up at 3 in the morning to save a few pounds more oh god i'd rather pay extra and get a good sleep before i travel. The bridge is burnt anyway. They saved 300 on b n b and another 100 on food you think they would be more kinder and show it better, They said they had a lovely time and thanked me loads but usless that is, lucky i got that i suppose. It's not in some peoples nature that's all. Before theY stayed and they were alot kinder took us for a chinese and bought me a gift and i din't look after them half as well :confused: A cheap holiday they got but the last!!

Sweet Jesus, I pity them more than you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I cooked brekky dins and waited on them like royals, Tea tea bikkies and more tea

Are you the Nanny from Count Duckula?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, aside from the bottle of wine, the apple pie, the brunch, the home-cooked curry and the packet of rolos, what have the British ever done for us!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement